[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

59 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@yongsital  Ji-an at that point in her life, knows her place in society.... In class/cast conscious Korean society she would be at the bottom (in Joseon she would me a choenmin... the undesirable while Ajusshi would be a yangbang nobility).   She knew that she has no chance to ever be a mate for Her Ajusshi.  She trusted, was grateful, admired, literally worshipped Her Ajusshi...but in a pure innocent way.  hence how dare the weasel CEO besmirch their beautiful relationship!  Even when she asked for a hug from Ajusshi, there was no sexual connotation to that.... she just want to express her love, and receive some back, platonically... that is all.

Ajusshi probably thinks of her in the same way, as  fellow shipwrecks on the same boat who have travelled with each other for so long, clinging to each others in their mutual needs....mostly platonic.  

That does not mean they are not AWARE of, and  are not ATTRACTED to  each other as man and woman, but that awareness and attraction is suppressed due to ranks and circumstances.

Speed forward to the ending, she now is more mature, with more confident, standing on her own two feet, and maybe now she can dare think of Ajusshi in different light, but that thought takes time, little by little.....  Hence the end is just the beginning.

This reader still think that more than 1 year has elapsed.  It would be unusual for a girl to start work in a branch office and in 1 year, end up in the main office.  Don't they have seniority system?

He probably left the company and formed a 1 to 2 men show, then the others came later as they got more business.  This reader agree with you that he probably has many contacts working 10+ years in the business with a great reputation so it won't take too long to build up a clientele.  But many clients already have contract with others,... it takes time to switch contractors... first the old contracts must be finished.

He could have met the Chairman 1 to 2 years earlier and was told that she did well.  It is unlikely that they would keep in touch that often... after all they are competitors (sort of.... an elephant and a zebra, both eating the same grass).  Kudo to the elephant not trying to crush the zebra.

Hehe I was mostly just playing around with what I said about the interrogation scene.

Yeah but you want to break my bubble and tell me they spent years apart? :( I like to think it was only one year but I admit you make a good argument as well. *goes back to convincing myself it was one year* :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

@Sharine Phinisia Someone posted this here before, I think. Shoutout to you, chingu! I think this is my absolute favorite shot of these two.

Spoiler

ImK2DxP.jpg

@ccl82 "I also find it weird that so many are bothered by the age gap, when if there's anything to get all hissy about is the fact that a married man is choosing to spend his free time unloading his deep inner thoughts and feelings to a woman who's not his wife."

I'm not married (yet), but what you said is right on the money! I was surprised that their connection was deeper than we initially thought, based on the never-before-heard audio files that Kwang Il was listening to. They both opened up their hearts to each other after all.

In One Warm Word, !!!SPOILER ALERT!!! the entire affair was an emotional, heart-to-heart connection. The wife of the man who "cheated" was ready to forgive him if it was a physical affair, but she couldn't accept it when she found out they really fell in love, and respected each other so much that they never reduced their relationship to sex (reminds me of DH and JA, honestly).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dhplsa said:

Could someone link me to the audio recording of DH saying "You are good" or sth to that effect? Also, if there are any fansites around for Lee Seon Kyun, I would love to follow them! Thanks

Fan sites:

http://leesungyun.mindenkilapja.hu/

https://m.facebook.com/LeeSunKyun.Fanpage/

https://www.instagram.com/sun_kyun_hye_jin/?hl=en

The pics of him kissing his newborn baby’s foot are just too adorable! :wub:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, berny said:

Exactly, and through and with all that, YH was just okey, no reaction whatsoever, like what does she care even if she had found out later on that her husband had been been very caring towards this girl JA (whom has feelings fr her husband), had been walking home with her, having dinner and drinks with, even got into a fight for her... i am not married too, but if i imagine myself as the wife i would have raised hell and would never, never have any of that.  Her indifference tells a lot, cause if she even loved DH at all, those things would have woken her up and make her fight for her husband.

YH already knew DH's feelings for Jian because much of it was implied. She had been married to the guy for 15 years. He does not show any level of interest with another female aside from Jung Hee, his mom, and brother's wife. Just look at the way DH treats Yura, he does not even acknowledged her. On episode 14,  he went home and was asked by YH if he ate dinner, his response that he ate dinner with a friend. The expression in YH's face was priceless. As another poster pointed out here, DH does not have other friends aside from his gang so him eating dinner alone with another person is a big deal. JYD already stressed the same fact on episode 9. Also on episode 15, DH desperately asked for YH's help regarding Jian. She already knew that Jian is someone important to him that the feelings between them is more than it appears. He didn't even go with YH when she left at the funeral hall. DH never left Jian's side after desperately looking for her.  In fact, she was the one that left him. 

At the ending, the boyish grin that can split his face and him agreeing on Jian's meal invitation. This is not just a simple meal guys where people catch up etc..For someone like Park Dong Hoon, this is a big deal. He still have the same feelings for her. The same way that Jian still loves him after being apart. A brand new beginning and start of a new journey. 

Edit: another classic example was DH's turning down the chairman's offer multiple times to share a meal together. The only time he agreed was to reveal the truth regarding his marital problems and to ask for the chairman's leniency towards Jian's situation. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, justamom said:

Fair point and I can see how those who weren't watching the show as closely (like my husband) would have thought it was a farewell handshake. But if you pay attention, no way. It's a promise of more.

I think it's important to fully consider the alternate point of view in order to solidify my conclusion. And my conclusion happens to be the same as yours - It's *not* over between DH and JA.

Even for those who support the "DH-YH marriage is intact" view cannot deny the spark of the final scene. This is not just a pleasant catch-up.

In fact, I think the biggest clue for me is the very fact that DH began his own company. He could have done that before when he was miserable at his job. His wife was pushing him to do it. But he just wouldn't.

As much as YH was unhappy in this marriage, DH was unhappy, too. He didn't know about the affair, but clearly, something was broken between them. And when his wife wasn't mentally present, there is no way he didn't sense that something isn't right. He said his life felt like hell for a sin in a past life, and Yoon-Hee described him as someone who is missing something. I think they did love and care about each other, and always will, but there was NO indication that anything would change if they got back together.

If the director wanted to make it clear that YH-DH are still together, there would have been more, more groundwork to support the view that his reunited marriage would be improved. More than some pictures on his desk, and more than, "뭐사가?" ("Buy something?") After all, even after he found out about the affair, he still bought her porridge and took care of her. So all that these clues confirm is that he will always care about her and take care of her, which we already knew.

So DH finally took the huge step of setting up his own company, and I feel like that required some sort of mental separation between him and his old life, which included Yoon-Hee. She's gracefully fading out of his life, just like she said she would, by going to the U.S. for a significant amount of time. If Yoon-Hee really wanted to re-dedicate herself to this marriage, she would not have left.

So my conclusion is that Yoon-Hee leaving gave DH the mental space to aspire to open his own business. What motivated him was Ji-An's encouragement and his promise to her to find his happiness, and he could only do that when Yoon-Hee was no longer in his life. What Yoon-Hee wanted from DH, to be more ambitious for himself, was paradoxically only possible after she left him.

--

So here's the conversation I had with my hardcore-shipper husband:

Me: "So, what do you think about the final voiceover between them? When he asks if "Ji-An" achieved comfort like her name? And she says, yes, yes?"

Husband: "Well, that is clearly post-coital."

Me: "You're so bad!"

Husband: "No, I'm accurate. ... Can we watch something else now? Are there no other fun dramas on right now?"

Me: "No, this has ruined me for other dramas."

Husband: "Okay... well, try to snap out of it someday."

• Like 2
  • LOL 13

2 hours ago, ccl82 said:

@ninaanin

Hmm... I'm referring to the tvn character guide. Let's say at the start of the show JS is 12, going on 13. And DH mentioned he's 14 American age? At most I would say, 1 year plus. 

Did DH also say YH's been there for 3 years? 

@tiger457_stv Special treatment. She knows someone who knows someone... HAHA. I would be devastated if this is more than 2 years tops. In fact, if this is more than 2 years, WHAT SERUM IS DH USING? Gimme some of that. 

I assume that TVN character guide are using korean age system. 

So:

1. At the start of the drama - winter season round february: he is 12 going on 13 in korean age, which means 11 going on 12 in western age.

2. At the end of the drama - round mid of spring season: he is 14 in western age, which means 15 in korean age.

If his birthday is before the mid spring, then 2 years have passed.

If his birthday is after mid spring, then 3 years have passed.

At the end, we have at least 2 years of time skip, but I'm more inclined to believe it was 3 years. Anyway, 2 years is a more reasonable time to set up a successfull company, and also (as @tiger457_stv has pointed out) to make plausible the company transfers JA to Seoul's branch office. 

About YH, the pics at DH's desk show clearly that she is living there; before his break down, he said she will live there to study (as excuse of separation). The very moment of the break down is telling us that he is living alone. He confirms it after time skip when he said she is living there. We have at least 4 opportunities where the show tells us they are separated and she is living abroad. To me, there is no doubt that she is living there since the period she was looking for schools to herself. 

At the end of the drama, the writer wanted to show two health, healed, comfident, well off and (relatively) happy people. To achieve that stage two years (at least) makes very much sense. As to the fact that they wait such a long time to see each other (leting things to fate): this keeps in character, imo.  

Btw: It was @brose_stv who translated the part of the son's age. (Thanks!).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

[instiz] CELEBRITIES WHO CONFIRMED THAT THEY ARE WATCHING 'MY AHJUSSI'

Yoo Byungjae

I want to translate one of these, I thought it was so cute:

Yoo Byungjae

Is it possible to make a drama this well... ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ (this symbolizes crying)

I feel like this writer, director and actors were sent from heaven to make dramas... It just doesn't make sense (otherwise)...

Would it feel this way if Writer Kim Woon-Kyung became younger...

If I could write this kind of screenplay and these lines, it would be so great... ㅠㅠㅠ

I am always waiting for Wednesday and Thursday to come...

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Me: "So, what do you think about the final voiceover between them? When he asks if "Ji-An" achieved comfort like her name? And she says, yes, yes?"

Husband: "Well, that is clearly post-coital."

Me: "You're so bad!"

Husband: "No, I'm accurate. ... Can we watch something else now? Are there no other fun dramas on right now?"

Me: "No, this has ruined me for other dramas."

Husband: "Okay... well, try to snap out of it someday."

LMAO. I'm not gonna lie...the thought may.. have..crossed..my mind too.

But honestly, I was thinking it was from their future dinner date even while I was watching the finale.

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

On 5/18/2018 at 9:30 AM, justamom said:

We need to trade husbands!! :lol: 

I didn't hear that line at all on rewatching -- "she who hasn't even hugged me once". What could that have been and why did they delete it??

A husband who will watch K-dramas with you is a keeper. :D

Even though he is clearly wrong. Ha ha. It's all good. It's like Monk Kyeom-Duk said, "It's not about winning or losing. Everyone is just living their own lives."

And yes, I think they did cut that line - "she who hasn't even hugged me once" I don't remember hearing that.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

4 minutes ago, arctichare said:

LMAO. I'm not gonna lie...the thought may.. have..crossed..my mind too.

But honestly, I was thinking it was from their future dinner date even while I was watching the finale.

It not only may have crossed my mind...it 100% crossed mine. :tongue:

The more realistic view of that voice over for me is that it happened in some future conversation whether pre or post-coital :D..versus telepathically. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 17

19 hours ago, mintea18 said:

JiAn made Ajusshi blushed like a highschool boy kekeke

(I used @brose_stv translation for the 1st gif, thank you!)

I know we all have our different opinions about what the ending meant, which I totally respect, and, admittedly,  I had been somewhat swayed a smidgen closer to the non-romantic interpretation, but this bit sold me on what I originally surmised and now remain firm in believing... that they deeply love each other - yes, romantically, as a natural, final-ish layer on their beautiful cake of THEM.  I say final-ish because there is more loving ahead.  You know, like you hear lovers say they love each other more and more with each day that passes, as hard to understand as that may be to some.

This look on DH's face is not one of "She is happy (and has "reached comfort"), and that makes me happy (boy, have I "reached comfort"), so I can now, more happily and with great comfort, go along with my life without her, because I am absolutely sure of that now."  

I also do not interpret this reaction of DH's as "Good luck, my little one, and continue well, because I know for sure that you can, now."  The father, daughter thing.  No, no, no.

I DO interpret this look as a person who is taken by her, as @mintea18 interprets, blushing like a highschool boy.  You know... like... "Aw, shucks!"

• Like 18

3 hours ago, noor1 said:

I actually was looking forward to a full-blown kiss - so a handshake and a look back and a voiceover and a smile depressed me to no end! I loved the ending but it took me 2 days to replay it without crying! Till of course I got back to my senses and appreciated the gorgeously subtle, blissful and reaffirming resolution of one chapter of their lives (the one covered in the series) and the simultaneous wonder of all future possibilities (both personal and professional). And knocking my head over what the actual purpose of the story was: the writer/ director and cast were successful in making us believe that two unlikely people can become each other's refuge and savior and change each other to live better, taking charge of their fates, because they deserve better. A little bit of attention, kindness, empathy and selflessness went a long way in this one! 

In that last scene, DH and Ji-An's contentment as individuals was contagious and the screen was lit with so much brightness, in contrast to their previous dark moods and claustrophobic pathways, office / subway/ neighborhood. It was magical and real and sublime. They have come such a long way! As for what lies ahead, one lives in hope, doesn't one? After all, they certainly do! (DH's reaction certainly gives hope). If nothing else, they'll have that dinner, maybe more than once, just to stay in touch. Out of all the endings and open endings that could have happened, this one was well-thought out and one for the ages. 

Truly one of the greatest stories ever told!

Thanks to all soompiers here who, with me, passionately discussed every twist and turn and silence and action! It was crazy, melancholic, hair-pulling, fun. May all of us be happy too! Bye! 

@noor1, I can never get enough kick out of your becoming one of the biggest shippers in this space.  :D  Always loved reading your thoughts.  May you find another drama that lifts you out of your "depression" soon. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

I was reading some discussions about how much time had passed and I'm not sure if I'm right or not but I thought only around a year had passed? I thought this as when you are shown KH and YR relationship deteriorating, you see the seasons changing outside and it specifically stops at Winter where he sings and then it goes onto Spring when you see them again.

I know a lot of people were saying but that doesn't make sense due to DH buisness and JA moving to Seoul but I think it does? As in his buisness didn't seem so huge such as Saman E&C so it is realistic that it has only been a year since he set up and regarding JA being transferred to Seoul I mean people within the workplace move from branch to branch that's why I think it was just over a year.

Also, one of his teammates mentions in the car that if he had stayed one more year he would have received the bonus for working for 20 years hence I'm inclined to think just over a year has passed.

Regarding DH child's age, I'm not sure if he even mentions how old he is now but via the pictures in his office, his son still looks young - some were saying he looks older but if you look carefully he looks around the same age as when we saw him earlier on that's why I think only just above a year had passed. What do you guys think?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Last episode recap posted today.  The verdict is a unanimous love for this amazing drama, and whether they are on the romance side or non-romance side, it does not seem to matter anymore.  :heart:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Ajusshi: Episode 16 (Final)

Dramabeans recap by LollyPip

Ajusshi16-00480.jpg

It’s time to say farewell, but My Ajusshi reminds us that goodbye is never final, and that if you truly love someone, there’s always hope. Nobody is expendable, and every person is deserving of love. Nobody knows this better than Dong-hoon and Ji-an, who have found in each other a special relationship that will never break, no matter where life takes them.

EPISODE 16 RECAP

• Like 6

8 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

after watching episode 16 for the 1.7 time this reader realizes that we are all wrong.  The time jump is not one year, but significantly longer (from 2 to 4 years, most likely 3 years).  Clues:  It takes time to be successful.  the Scene where youngest brother Kee Hoon said goodbye to actress girlfriend took a whole year (we say summer, rain season then snow then back to spring.  so that is 1 year gone.  Next scene is the brother cleaner driving by a billboard with actress on it...  to do well in that industry probably requires several successful projects, not a one time deal.   So years have to go by for that to be true.

Likewise, for an engineer to leave his company then set up his own, AND be successful cannot take 1 year.  it is impossible!

This probable 3-4 years jump probably came as a shock to Ji-an hence her shyness.  She has always been timid to begin with... and she initially did not know what to say, feeling awkward.  Beside Ajusshi is essentially the same... some thing she never expected.

6 hours ago, ccl82 said:

@tiger457_stv  I don't think this is more than 1 year.

• The report JA handed to her boss was of the 3rd and 4th quarter. K I dunno what that means, just throwing this out there. 

LOL :lol:  I think the time jump is more than 1 year.

1) we start the drama in the fall, judging by everyone with some warm outerwear but not down jackets.  Toward the middle of episode 16, Ki Hoon's window indicates couple of seasons have passed. We know that at least one winter has passed.

2) Ji An composed the biannual report in the spring, which if it was next year's spring, it would have been no more than 6 months has passed since the drama started.  I am assuming that the report has to be done by no later than March?  

3) Keeping that in mind, would it be possible for JiAn to relocate, get trained and be proficient in the new job, integrated into her new office and make new friends?  In addition, go to school, get trained, licensed and start teaching a sign language class.  I don't think it's possible to do in a few months.  

4) Lastly, the photographs on DH's desk, especially of the three Park brothers fulfilling their Hong Kong dream.  If DH is to start a company, I doubt if he has time and money to realize Sang Hoon's dream for him.  It's likely that their event happened after DH's company has been established and he is financially comfortable to pay back Sang Hoon's kindness.

So I think their meeting was not the next year in the time jump.  At the earliest, it may have been the spring of the following year... My hunch is that it has been a couple of years.  In the car while driving, DH's team remarked that he would have collected a big bonus if he has stayed for one more year to complete the 20th anniversary.  DH replied that he makes a lot more money since leaving the company.  It sounds like his company has turned the corner, making profits handsomely, something a startup CEO not likely will say in his first year.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

LOL :lol:  I think the time jump is more than 1 year.

1) we start the drama in the fall, judging by everyone with some warm outerwear but not down jackets.  Toward the middle of episode 16, Ki Hoon's window indicates couple of seasons have passed. We know that at least one winter has passed.

2) Ji An composed the biannual report in the spring, which if it was next year's spring, it would have been no more than 6 months has passed since the drama started.  I am assuming that the report has to be done by no later than March?  

3) Keeping that in mind, would it be possible for JiAn to relocate, get trained and be proficient in the new job, integrated into her new office and make new friends?  In addition, go to school, get trained, licensed and start teaching a sign language class.  I don't think it's possible to do in a few months.  

4) Lastly, the photographs on DH's desk, especially of the three Park brothers fulfilling their Hong Kong dream.  If DH is to start a company, I doubt if he has time and money to realize Sang Hoon's dream for him.  It's likely that their event happened after DH's company has been established and he is financially comfortable to pay back Sang Hoon's kindness.

So I think their meeting was not the next year in the time jump.  At the earliest, it may have been the spring of the following year... My hunch is that it has been a couple of years.  In the car while driving, DH's team remarked that he would have collected a big bonus if he has stayed for one more year to complete the 20th anniversary.  DH replied that he makes a lot more money since leaving the company.  It sounds like his company has turned the corner, making profits handsomely, something a startup CEO not likely will say in his first year.

Oh my. This drama is not for the lazy bum. Even deductions have to be made just to determine the span of the time jump :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

24 minutes ago, brose_stv said:

I think others have pointed this out previously, but here's another reminder that Dong-hoon called our heroine "지안" (simply "Ji-an") in the final line of the drama when he asks her if she's found comfort. I'll try to explain why this is subtly important. How you say someone's name in Korean reveals a lot about your relationship with them, such as closeness and social hierarchy. Keep in mind that this is a huge topic, so I can't cover all the different uses and nuances. I'll just try to give you a general idea.

If I remember correctly Dong-hoon called Ji-an by her full name 이지안 ("Yi Ji-an") throughout the drama. This implies distance and formality, and is typical of a boss calling their employee (though the boss could add "sshi" to the end to be a bit more polite). Also, when your Korean parent suddenly calls you by your full name, that's when you know you're in trouble.

On the other hand, to call someone affectionately you would add an "ee" or "ah" to the end ("ya" if the name ends in a vowel). You can only do this if you're very close to the person. Typically, this is used by parents-to-children, older sibling/friend to younger sibling/friend, close friends of the same age, etc. It denotes closeness and affection, but a specific FAMILIAL type of affection. Lovers or spouses don't normally use this form of address with each other. It's awkward. It only works in certain relationships. For example, between lovers who were close friends before dating, who addressed each other this way in the first place. There are more nuances, but that's the general idea. It specifically denotes a familial type of closeness.

Dong-hoon didn't use either form of address in the final line of the drama. He called her simply "Ji-an". It denotes a much closer relationship than before. Furthermore, he didn't call her Ji-an-ah, so it's NOT a familial kind of closeness, such as that of a father to his daughter OR EVEN an older friend to a younger friend. For me, the fact that he said just "Ji-an" and the way he said it came off as very, very, very intimate.

Also, maybe I'm overanalyzing the final scene, but after Dong-hoon asks Ji-an if she's found comfort, the way the camera quickly jumps to Dong-hoon between Ji-an's two "Yes's" makes it seem like Dong-hoon himself is the comfort that Ji-an has found in her life.

Psssh, you're not over analyzing anything, you posting straight facts. You dropping fact bombs on all of us.:o :tongue:. Mind blown.

Seriously though, thanks so much for this post.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1