[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

8 hours ago, ccl82 said:

On locations...

-- This may just be me reading too much into this, but if I'm not mistaken, the last two subway scenes were of DH alone. 1) On his way to his brothers' place, after which he told them she helps him breathe 

Great point. One thing I really love about this show is how they play with night/ day to convey mood and story.

-- I find it interesting for DH and JA to continuously meet at his friend's restaurant. This guy who was cheated on, and who divorced his wife. And how they moved from the counter (first time), to a more romantic set-up (second time right in the middle of the restaurant, then slowly to the corner). Notice when there are other customers, they come in pairs? Is this a dating spot?

You know, this is like Love Story screenwriting 101. Besides the “love lock” 定情物 gift trick which I mentioned earlier, lovers must always have a dating spot that holds memories for them, where they feel most comfortable, that they return to over and over —then stop completely when they break up. There are just so many of these signs scattered throughout the second half of the drama...

On gazes...

-- Try as a I might, I just really don't understand how people interpret the way he looks at her as non-romantic. I'm pretty sure LSK is a good actor, and was able to express the right emotion through his eyes according to the script. 

Yes!!

Question...

- How come the passenger always sits at the back, even though there's no one else in the car? Is this a Korean etiquette?

I thought the point of that was to show the distance in their relationship. That Dong Hoon and Ji An, despite their feelings are maintaining the distance expected by society.
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

IU at Holkabon Festival   

***Sorry to cut the post.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Wow those high notes, she's getting better and better at singing too.

• Like 1

@akhenaten  You said: "@sadiesmith  I'm sure a lot of the folks at DB will say that the ending clearly showed that Dong Hoon only saw Ji An as someone he cared for, very much like a teacher or a mentor.  And now that he's seen her bright and happy, showing signs of having fully recovered from her traumatic past, he feels happy that he's helped her get to where she is now and that he will always be grateful for how she made him realize how much of life he was missing.  And clearly he and Yoon Hee are on the path to reconciliation although she's spending some time in the States with their son.  After all, he still had photos of her with Ji Seok on his desk.  Right?  :D"

You are right Akhenaten and sadiesmith! 

Engineer Dong Hoon, care of Drama Bean, would go back to his empty apartment, open his top ramen, pour in some hot water, slurp it then raise the cup and say cheer...

"to Lee Ji-an...may you enjoy your day as much as mine in my empty house eating top ramen, then talk to the wall, before I do what my Big Brother enjoy the most.... ramen and go to the toilet!". 

"Today I enjoy myself very much with our accidental encounter... You looks the same but better,  reserved by livelier, pretty but more mature just as I expect my...my...my...niece to be!" 

"Sorry I held your right hand for so long and pressed it kind of hard.  I was surprised myself when I let go.  It must be the emotion of not seeing you for so long.... niece.   That or I start to get "Trigger Finger from arthritis" and could not let go!"

"In any case I am glad the Chairman had completed what he said he will, and help you with your career.  You are now not a pitiful waif but a pretty young woman...ah...ah...niece!  So your uncle will introduce you to some of his friends....

Wait a minute, all of your uncle's friends are 40 years old!  You also are kind of reserve, introverted  so it is unclear who I can find that fit you! !!  Uncle thinks you like men who are kind, considerate, reserved, introverted, who care about their family and others beyond themselves, who like to sigh and sing song about "missing some one from far away...".

"So go and find your own mate.  This uncle ajusshi cheers you with his cup of ramen, while you raise your cup of instant coffee!  Cheer!

PS:  May you find your soulmate, where ever he may be"!  Just bug his phone and let him know!

WARNING  possible drama bean parody of a happy ending!

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

4 minutes ago, justamom said:

For those of you who recognize Chinese characters, In-Yeon is 因缘 or 缘分。

My understanding of that word since I was a child is that in-yeon is a kind of invisible string that ties two people together, whether in a friendship, romantic or other sense. But more often than not used in a romantic sense - eg we broke up because our in-yeon has come to an end. 

The interesting thing about 인연 is that another possible, but rare character for that is 姻缘 or marriage destiny, ie the person you are fated to marry. Just saying :wink:

@chickfactor @rellea maybe you can share more on how this is used in Korean social context?

It can have a similar connotation in Korean speech depending on how it is used. For example, if I were to say "Do you believe in in-yeon?" Then I probably mean do you believe in soulmates. But in-yeon is commonly used in daily speech to describe non-romantic relationships between people too. 

Let's say that there are two people who are very bad for each other. Their acquaintance/relationship constantly brings the other down over and over again. You might say that they have a bad in-yeon.

Or if two people meet on the street but never meet again, they had a "short or passing in-yeon".

If two people loved each other very much but end up breaking up after exhausting all their options and trying their best to make it work, then you could say that their in-yeon (bond connecting them) came to an end and that it wasn't in-yeon (fate).

In DH and JA's case, they build each other up and bring good to one another so they have a "good, precious in-yeon."

Little tidbit: if you switch the letters around you get 연인 (yeon-in), which means "lovers", haha.

But yeah. We all know their meeting was in-yeon in both senses of the word, but I think Grandma was just talking in general about how good this man is for her granddaughter.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 18/05/2018 at 7:30 PM, justamom said:
On 18/05/2018 at 10:50 AM, africandramalover said:

"You are all decent people.May you hang in there till you find comfort for yourselves. I was once in the same situation as you. I will help you as if we were family."

Where was this? 

It was during the ending credits...

On 18/05/2018 at 7:30 PM, justamom said:

Man, I really need to try and get my hands on this script. @africandramalover I'll ask my screenwriter friend about your suggestion and see if she can help. I'm definitely in! I've been sending her my non-stop praise about the show.

We need to make this happen!! When you confirm with your friend, please inform me! (I wish I could read the scripts! Unfortunately my Korean is still rudimentary so I cannot understand the scripts even though I can read Hangul....)

On 22/03/2018 at 4:57 PM, africandramalover said:

Yaaaassssss!!!! Stellar episode!!! 15 out of 10!! That's what a first episode should look and feel like! 

I was looking forward to this drama because the synopsis looked like an adult story. Dayum!!!! It hasnt let me down!. Despite the haters ragging on IUs acting or the male cast, I expected something good, but this one blows it out of the park!! My expectations have been met and exceeded. I expect the drama to do well, and after the finale,  I will place IU in the big girls league.  :D Episode 1 has put her foot in that door already.

Many moons ago I said the above. So as promised: 

IU, welcome to the  BIG GIRLS LEAGUE!!

On 18/05/2018 at 7:03 PM, justamom said:

Soompians, I need some comforting! Did I marry the wrong guy?? :fearful:

P/S Let me just add. He was completely bored by Secret Love Affair, my all time favourite drama next to My Ahjussi

LOLLLL!!!

AS someone said, he's totally trolling you!!!

He knows which nerve to hit!!

But..... how could he not love Secret Love Affair????:flushed: How Now!! He needs to explain that!! :D !!

Question: In the scene where DH is crying while alone and eating Ramen.... wasn't he crying for JA? Prior to this KH had asked him whether JA had contacted him, and YH has already left for the USA (divorced). I mean, eating together was their thing! JA is no longer by his side to force him to buy her a meal. He switches on the TV, goes to the engineering channel and watches a video of a house being assembled (I understood this as building a home with someone other than YH, aka JA)...... Doesn't he feel JA's absence as he is alone, making him break down?

Or maybe it was symbolic of the breakdown of his family.....But then JA offers to buy DH something delicious.... My Ahjussi!! You are still driving me crazy!!

ION: I find a man's crying extremely sexy.... DH was crying and there I was, sad and turned on, thinking, DH has never looked as hot as he did in that moment!!:ph34r: His running is not as hot... :tongue: 

I was thinking about how My Ahjussi has impacted me. I have been thinking about learning Sign Language for a while now... I think I will  take classes. 

edit: DH isn't wearing his wedding ring at the coffee shop.......(did he ever have one)

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Episode 16:

"I hated you a whole lot, ahjumma. I was so envious of you." Yes, envy her as someone who get to be a significant part of ahjussi's life (his supposed other half)

As DH saw SW shaved his head, he's afraid that he'll become like that (giving up his previous life) and try to live to everyone's expectation (which obviously didn't work). He feels like he's losing to SW, a good friend who never give a second thought about chasing his own happiness.

That investigation scene: If she adore DH with her entire being, she also hate DY with her entire being LOL.

"Because there was stuff about you on them. The stuff that torments ahjussi the most." Sorry, but the arrangement of the words in this sentence tickled me.

"Want me to buy anything? The kindest words he always said to you." Way to go Jian. Stab that conscience left and right. She didn't pull her punches.

"If i stay here, ahjussi won't be able to come to the bar. He was never here while i'm staying." If that's true, that what could that possibly mean? Can someone explain this to me?

That grandma's scene left me in tears. Especially when I imagine facing those who i held dear lifeless in that bed. DH hesitates before patting (touching) her trembling shoulders and help her to stand up. It is not shown, but it seems like DH's wiping his tears when Jian said that they should meet again later.

Good job, eldest brother! 

"Why are you being so nice to me? Are you going to say "that's all!" And leave me after this?" This one sounds like a dry joke tho, which DH scoffs at. And grandma's final advice struck a chord to what DH said before, "every bond you have are precious, and you have to repay them by becoming happy."

Jian sticking her forehead to the urn and to the door as the past photos are shown, with 'dear moon' being played and I TEARED UP AGAIN NOOO STAHPPPPPPP

That running when they try to catch the bus feels symbolic, as in "now to move on into our lives'.

That Jian's voiceover as Kwangil delivered the USBs. If DH is Jian's light, then Jian is Kwangil's light (the one who still believes in him).

"Why are you going so far?"

"Thinking about it, it's somehow pathetic. I keep glancing at the street hoping to find you." She wants to find a way to be at the same footing as him.

"Can i hug you to give you energy?" After the second try he sighs and relents. I guess he finally realized that this is her roundabout way of energizing her up.

That scene when DH vomited and sobbing. I guess no one knows about the separation but the brothers. That cry might signifies his rocky attempt at reaching happiness, the turnabout (separation)... It's like a detox; that breakdown scene that pulls out all the toxic from your body... Breaking things into pieces and rebuilding life from zero.

DH looks so happy and boyish as he greets Jian... Even Jian looks overwhelmed by his attitude :D the smile of someone who had all his burden lifted off from his shoulders (and when Jian call him... Did i mention that eye wrinkles never looked this sexy?). And what's with that random handshake anyway? Btw if someone dares telling me that bright smile is a smile of a father that is proud of his daughter i think i have to pummel them since that handshake is just a little bit too long and getting too awkward for a father daughter relationship! definitely they will meet again and have drinks, since Jian will treat him. And what happened next? Que sera sera...

This is the last ride huh. Definitely an ending that warm your heart (certainly not scarlet heart's). I dont want this to end. I want to know how they become happy when they are together now *sniff*

• Like 19

8 hours ago, berny said:

I truly agree with LJE, that LSK is her "best partner" ( though i am quite sure a previous co-actor of her will sulk on this statement... whahha).:tongue:

Anyway it is very, very rare to have a pairing as charismatic, exciting, and beautiful such as this.

I’m not surprised that she thinks of him as her best partner. She had such high praise for him and his acting.

https://twitter.com/IUteamstarcandy/status/971344498809741312?s=20

Spoiler

“I have come to realize lots of things through the process of filming alongside Lee Sun Gyun sunbaenim on the set of ‘My Mister’. His passion is exceptional. Not only did he pull off tons of scenes that required different levels of emotions, he was scrupulous in checking every detail like each scripted line or something as trivial as a fingerprint. I learned a lot from the offscreen side of him.” - Actress Lee Jieun (IU)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

18 minutes ago, rellea said:

It can have a similar connotation in Korean speech depending on how it is used. For example, if I were to say "Do you believe in in-yeon?" Then I probably mean do you believe in soulmates. But in-yeon is commonly used in daily speech to describe non-romantic relationships between people too. 

Let's say that there are two people who are very bad for each other. Their acquaintance/relationship constantly brings the other down over and over again. You might say that they have a bad in-yeon.

Or if two people meet on the street but never meet again, they had a "short or passing in-yeon".

If two people loved each other very much but end up breaking up after exhausting all their options and trying their best to make it work, then you could say that their in-yeon (bond connecting them) came to an end and that it wasn't in-yeon (fate).

In DH and JA's case, they build each other up and bring good to one another so they have a "good, precious in-yeon."

Little tidbit: if you switch the letters around you get 연인 (yeon-in), which means "lovers", haha.

But yeah. We all know their meeting was in-yeon in both senses of the word, but I think Grandma was just talking in general about how good this man is for her granddaughter.

So I just asked my Korean lit grad friend, and she says in Korea 姻缘 as in marriage destiny is the more common usage!  Ie Inyeon is more commonly used in terms of your fate to meet and marry someone...

oh Halmoni, was that what you really meant? :wink:

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

@Sharine Phinisia Here are some answers:

On 5/18/2018 at 8:24 PM, ninaanin said:

I thought it a bit weird because he went to the bar at least once. But, if he was avoiding her I would say this is for the same reason he was avoiding many things: afraid not being able to restrain himself. This is the only explication, and I would call it evidence that he was in love (but couldn't and even not want to be), and that he was at his limit. Only a "romantic" reason could explain his avoiding that place, imo. 

On 5/18/2018 at 8:21 PM, h2ogirl said:

I'm still rewatching ep 16 and working through my thoughts, but here's how I interpreted it: DH knows best that he's undeniably drawn towards JA, and that the more time they spend together - notably, in front of all his neighborhood friends - the more it would be obvious what his feelings for her truly are. And he wasn't ready to declare his love for her to the world, at that stage. I think he is ready though during the final scene.

On 5/18/2018 at 9:35 PM, sadiesmith said:

I saw it the same way you did, that she understood he wasn't going to reciprocate her feelings.  I think she confessed so many times with the tiny hope that he would leave his wife for her, but his action made it clear to her that he was putting a distance.  And that included not going to Jung Hee's.  She did not want her to be a burden for him.  As I was watching epi 15 and 16, I had to be impressed at how unwavering she was in her love, like how many times did she confess?

17 hours ago, berny said:

Yeah it was implied that except for that one initial drink they had (with brothers and friends) at JH's bar, DH after that, avoided the bar ... another hole on the premise that all DH ever think and feel about JA is just compassion, charity, friendly platonic affinity.  Because if that is the case his usual routines will not be affected even in the slightest by whether she's there... or she's not there.  Those that we have no interest in, most often that not are regarded by us with indifference... we're unaffected...unperturbed..

but JA stirs in him significant reactions, he is so conscious of her presence, so affected by her... his senses are attuned to her... as one would behave towards just a friend as they keep on insisting, i dont think so. The pull is strong, and he was perhaps resisting with all his willpower at that point. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Ok. I searched this thread and I have not read any posts from it to avoid spoilers. I just wanna say something. I'm at ep8 and the feels from this drama is just so daebak! I want them to be together! I love LSK since Pasta and loved IU since Moon lovers. B4 watching this I was holding back bec I was thinking wat can a 40 something man do with a 20 something girl. But whooooaAa!!! I just love it!  Ill be finishing this drma by tomorrow. I love it so 

• Like 20

The folks who want to see a continuation of Ji An and Dong Hoon's journey should definitely check this out.

AO3 Link

Leave some kudos/comments for the writer as well.

Thank you for the beautiful gifs @mintea18!

The first scene is so heartbreaking, I cry every single time I watch it. If you notice the last gif you can see Dong Hoon is also tearing up and probably wiping away a solitary tear in the background.

The scene with Chief Song and Dong Hoon on the other hand is hilarious. The look on Dong Hoon's face when Chief Song says he wants to hug Ji An :lol:. Calm down dude, it's just a hug.

• Like 9
  • LOL 11

5 hours ago, blueyyy said:

One thing I loved was the ending - you could make what you wanted to make of it and honestly it felt like the beginning, the beginning of their new lives. The way I saw it was that DH never rejected JA feelings throughout the drama, he only ever said was 'you like me because you pity me'. Even near the end of episode 16 he asks him mum if she pitied him and I think that was what also caused his breakdown. Everything was getting too much and now with JA gone, who helped him breathe, he knew he had to make himself happy and not be pitiful anymore.

That's why I feel like the ending marks the start of DH and JA relationship in a new light - he's much more happier and content with life and JA has also became a member of society, maturing and finding her role in it. That's why I feel like when they do meet for dinner, he'll realise that JA does still like him and not because she pities him but because she genuinely likes him as she always has from the start and I think that is going to be it. I feel that DH also felt something for JA since that start but he saw it as pity or him pitying her that's why this new beginning is the start for them and I couldn't of asked for a better ending.

This is my take on it too. They are both happy now, so now they can see if their deep connection will disappear or grow stronger after all their troubles are gone.

I think the main point of this show is not will they or won’t they get together. It is pointing out that everyone can heal each other if they go out of their way to be kind to each other and understand each other. They can form a connection no matter what their age, gender, occupation, and social standing are. Not even your past matters. What’s done is done.

I don’t believe their relationship is father/daughter, teacher/student, or mentor/mentee. They both were suffering and depressed, and they both saved each other. They are equals, and they both had a lot to learn from each other.

I also liked how they were both so considerate of and careful about each other’s feelings. When she saw he was embarrassed, she made sure to sit a couple of seats in the back of the bus, away from him, to let him regain his composure. He knows that she likes him as more than a friend, so he refused to hug her the first time she asked. Neither of them wants to take advantage of the other. So sweet.

I am so happy that they will continue to be in each other’s lives. They are so good for each other. I think their love for each other will continue to grow. But others who want to keep their relationship platonic can imagine it that way too. Perfect ending.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, anipanch said:

On another note, can we talk about how DH was the first to see JA's face after the time skip? and only after him we got to see new JA. II wonder if the director put some kind of idea behind it. Pretty much everything was symbolised in MA, so I wouldn't be surprosed if the camera choice meant something. Any thoughts about it?

Another topic I want to point out is the interrogation scene with JA and JY. We don't talk much about it. I loved how JA instantly got into a defense mode and was repulsed by the idea that someone was looking down on her feelings for DH. She is very sincere and it is yet another declaration of love from her side. This for me, is another proof that JA doesn't actually like DH with hero worship as some of you here pointed out. JA actually sees DH as a man and that's where we can say that it's not a hero worship, because such thing is not about gender. JA gets angry at the thought that her relationship with DH gets compared to JY and YH by JY. "how could you do it to a man  like Ahjussi?" - yes for JA DH is a man, who taught her to love and made her feel loved.  

Great point on the camera not showing JA's face until after MA saw it.  There is so much intention behind all the seemingly little things in this drama.  I am grateful to all of you for helping me see things I missed.

Re: the interrogation scene, I agree.  And I agree with JA - how could YH have done that to a man like Ahjussi?  YH couldn't say anything.  What can she say to that?  JA made her point, and not in a "let's debate this issue."  YH knew it was something she just had to take and live with from now on.

@mintea18  It's amazing, but your post made me grateful, cry, and laugh at the same time! 

The caption for DH in the last gif... "Say what??"

• Like 7

Another thing... I'm a big fan of the man who is in my profile pic so I keep imagining him on all dramas i've been watching but this is different. Can't picture anyone else aside from LSK. I fell in love with him in Pasta and Miss Korea and fell in love with him again in this drama. Gosh.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

The folks who want to see a continuation of Ji An and Dong Hoon's journey should definitely check this out.

AO3 Link

Thank you for the beautiful gifs @mintea18!

The scene with Chief Song and Dong Hoon on the other hand is hilarious. The look on Dong Hoon's face when Chief Song says he wants to hug Ji An :lol:. Calm down dude, it's just a hug.

Yeah that was so funny. DH gives him the look and Chief Song goes ..okey i'll just settle for a high-five whahaha.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

AO3 Link

OMG! This skinship-starved shipper loved this soooo much! The intensity of their skinship was very fitting with their electrifying chemistry. :wub:

Kinda reminds me of Lee Min Ki teaching Jung So Min how to kiss properly in BTLIOF. She couldn't pull herself away from him for quite a long time, lol. Ah, we can only imagine...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, berny said:

Yeah that was so funny. DH gives him the look and Chief Song goes ..okey i'll just settle for a high-five whahaha.

And they all thought he was just being a decent, protective boss to his youngest employee, warding off inappropriate work place show of affection.  Heeheeheee... Little did they know. :lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 3

7 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Detailed analysis - Last scene

Hide contents

UQQNnw.png

CJDn7E.png

ON6ljh.png

Hide contents

pfKTBB.png

LmMRzC.png

S0JYQa.png

Like the warmth of spring, these two souls are changing..

They're not "the pitiful child" and "the pitiful ajusshi" anymore.

Just two adults, ready to start a new beginning

To be continued

@mushroomsoupie I LOVED your post, absolutely loved it. The last scene was such a beautifully shot and enacted thing. It depressed me and made me happy at the same time.

HOWEVER, I'll have to disagree - even though trust me, I really really hope and wish you are right. BUT listen, remember, when DH told Ji-An (in that 'what did you do with my slippers' conversation) that he is the type of person who would meet anyone warmly once he had gotten to know them and their family and even if he met her 10 or 20 years later, he would greet her warmly and be happy to know she is doing well. 

And what Ji-An said (in the goodbye phone call) lamenting whether they would be happy to see each other and that she didn't care whether she was reborn (which was basically one of her endless confessions, hoping he'd reciprocate and long for her too, which he didn't or didn't reciprocate).

So this scene shows what they'd do and did when they really did meet after some time apart. He was happy, she was shy. They are both flourishing as individuals and as professionals. Both don't know what else to say. And soon enough it is time to say bye - at which point Mr. Passive says 'let's shake hands, just once' - indicating he thinks this is the last time they'll meet so they may as well part on a formal goodbye. He holds it a bit too tightly though. And says 'thanks' (for all that she did for him). So technically, unless and until Ji-An asked him out for meal (dinner) he would have just left - remember, he had only invited her to the office. (seriously, I don't know how this guy got married the first time!)

The grateful DH, the nostalgic DH, looks down at their hands again. He is grateful that they can meet again, like they used to before.

That's all there is to it. He did his part, she did hers. The voice over says 'did you find comfort' (live up to your name) and she responds 'yes'. He''s happy she's doing well. And she's happy that the accidental meet-up went well. Mission Accomplished. 

Heck, even the lead playing the role of DH (LSG) did not think it was anything more than two unlikely people meeting and healing each other [he was PHENOMENAL in this role btw]:

Lee Sun-Kyun (Park Dong-Hoon) in TvN last BTS of show: I hope that from now on, the many Lee Ji-An’s and Park Dong-Hoon’s in the world can communicate, comfort each other, and cheer each other on, I hope our society becomes more like that. Thank you.

And lollypip @ dramambeans lollypip wrote lovely paras over Ep.15: I can’t even describe it, but there’s something very pure and genuine about Dong-hoon’s aura when he’s with Ji-an. It’s like he’s not truly himself unless he’s with her, like she’s the only one he can be himself with because he instinctively knows that she won’t betray him. Around everyone else, even his brothers, Dong-hoon always has his guard up — and they know it. It’s the thing Ki-hoon was complaining about when he said that Dong-hoon never shows his emotions. But with Ji-an, Dong-hoon is nothing but emotions, and I hope that what he takes away from their friendship is that he can relax around people and that he’ll be okay.

..........I melted when he told Ji-an that he’s not angry with her because he knows her too well. And again when Ji-an revealed that by listening to the sounds Dong-hoon makes, she felt as though she learned what a human being is. I believe that these are the reasons they’re in each other’s lives, because they each had something to teach the other. Because Dong-hoon holds himself so apart, he never knew how it felt to truly, deeply know a person. And because Ji-an has been pushed to the sidelines by society, she never learned what human beings are really like.

I said before that this is not a romance story, but it’s most certainly a love story between Dong-hoon and Ji-an. It’s just not a love story in which the people involved are meant to share a life — it’s the kind of love story where their love is so pure and real that they genuinely just want each other to live happy lives, whatever that means. It doesn’t mean that they “fall in love” and get married and have a family, that’s much too simple for these two. They just want to make the other’s life better however they can. For Ji-an that means seeing Dong-hoon in the job he deserves, with the life partner he deserves. And for Dong-hoon, it means helping Ji-an move beyond her past and being seen and loved by others for who she is now, not what she did once before.

And what @fauna said above: I think the main point of this show is not will they or won’t they get together. It is pointing out that everyone can heal each other if they go out of their way to be kind to each other and understand each other. They can form a connection no matter what their age, gender, occupation, and social standing are. Not even your past matters. What’s done is done.

I don’t believe their relationship is father/daughter, teacher/student, or mentor/mentee. They both were suffering and depressed, and they both saved each other. They are equals, and they both had a lot to learn from each other. I also liked how they were both so considerate of and careful about each other’s feelings......Neither of them wants to take advantage of the other. 

I am so happy that they will continue to be in each other’s lives. They are so good for each other. I think their love for each other will continue to grow. But others who want to keep their relationship platonic can imagine it that way too.

Cue the last scene of the drama.......the colors are full of hope and life and energy, they are both unburdened and free, and happy that the other is doing well and they'll have a dinner somewhere soon. That's about it. I am done reading more into their interactions! The sky may be the limit with these two, but not my patience!

(P.S. For me, it's one of the all-time great dramas - in ANY language!)

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Guys if you have or seen a gif of THE HANDSHAKE please put it here, I really need it

The tumblr tag of MA is awfully passive I was hoping to see some more gifsets, edits or graphics from the finale :(

• Like 6