[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

7 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Guys, I have a confession to make:  this drama affected and influenced me so much that I replaced my iPhone with a Samsung Galaxy S9. Park Dong Hoon is such an effective endorser! Too bad they didn’t have it in his shade of dark blue. I’m planning to check out the supermarket for that Maxim coffee next.  As to Quiznos, uhm, maybe for my next lunch? 

uhm.  I forgot to ask the attendant at the store if I’ll get to hear Dong Hoon’s voice on that phone. :D

@akhenaten  this reader won't go as far as you.... he is just going to go running!

• LOL 9

14 minutes ago, MsMinnieFran said:

"I also find it weird that so many are bothered by the age gap, when if there's anything to get all hissy about is the fact that a married man is choosing to spend his free time unloading his deep inner thoughts and feelings to a woman who's not his wife."

i'm not married, but is the above okay for you wives? Is it only wrong when the two kiss, or have sexual relations? Was it because  it devoid of those things, why it became such a fatherly/friendly act in some peoples minds?

I don't know, maybe i'm too simple minded.

For me there is so much evidence of it being planted in the viewers minds, of a not so innocent relationship between the two, that it really boggles my mind how people end up with only friendship/fatherly relationship after the whole shebang.

I'm a wife, and nope I wouldn't like it.  I am the soulmate, kindred spirits of my husband lol.  

I remember I posted round episode 3 my thoughts about woman-single meats her kindred/soulmate man-married, and I said it couldn't work, because it would jeopardize the marriage, even if it was only platonic. I said then that: or the soulmates would have to be apart (what will make both not completely happy), or the marriage couldn't stand.

No wife would like to witness her husband sharing (platonic) relationship with a kindred/soulmate. How can a marriage go on when the man (or woman) has more confidence, support, communication and understanding from a third part? When a third is able to know the husband/wife better?

I would feel myself betrayed, even if it isn't sexual and purely platonic. Emotional relationship can be more deep than a sexual one. 

As many said here: DH - JA were having an emotional affair lol.

• Like 16

@tiger457_stv Yeah I agree with @ccl82. It couldn't have been more than one year. Also the movie KH was watching with Yura in it was the same one she was filming in earlier episodes. Movies take time to be released but 3-4 years later seems like too much time. One year seems more reasonable.

Also, I've been thinking about JA's confrontation with JY in the interrogation room. You know how she calls him out for looking down at her feelings for DH? Is there a possibility the writer was also calling out viewers who said a romantic love would downgrade their relationship and make it unpure? :ph34r: I can totally see the writer feeling 'hurt' by comments saying it takes away from the beautiful relationship she wrote. Hehe just random thoughts I have during my withdrawal.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, MsMinnieFran said:

For me there is so much evidence of it being planted in the viewers minds, of a not so innocent relationship between the two, that it really boggles my mind how people end up with only friendship/fatherly relationship after the whole shebang.

Absolutely. I think where people differ is their interpretation of love and what love means to them. My husband agreed it was love, but then struggled to categorise it. He resorted to "father figure" because he said this is not the sort of love where they want to hook up and get married and live together for the rest of their lives.

To me, Dong Hoon, a man in his 40s, isn't looking for romance. He wants someone to comfortably spend the rest of his life with, sharing meals and talking about their work. And to me, it's obvious that Ji An is that person! He might not have realised it before the time lapse, but he's a new man now, and seeing her again has definitely sparked off new possibilities in his head. And maybe, just maybe, set his heart racing for the first time in his life.

5 hours ago, anipanch said:

I also want to talk about DH's "love confession". Some think it happened during the hospital scene, when he said "I know you", but for me it was during their last mean. Now, why do I think like that? Let's recall the scene where DH thanks JA saying "she helps me breath", "thank you for being by my side" but adds that if he said it to her face "how would it look like?" Those words hold a lot of meaning to him, he knows it will be more than it is supposed to be for the both of them. But during their last dinner, he says the same and even more to JA, "I was on the verge of death and you saved me" - THIS HERE IS A CONFESSION. He no longer restrains himself and tells her sincerely since he isn't sure when he will see her again. We can actually say that both of them confessed their love in that scene, with JA saying she started truly living after meeting DH. Isn't that beautiful?

Agree a thousand times over!

Someone should start a thread: what Park Dong Hoon says / what he really means, like what Ki Hoon said.

To me, when he asked her "do you really have to go so far" at the bar, that was really his heart jumping out trying to stop her from leaving. But he knew it wasn't right, so he couched it in the most restrained way he could.

4 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Yesterday, as I ruminated over the drama, I thought to myself, what if they'd gotten together? What if there was a kiss? How would that kiss have looked like?

I swear, that would have been the hottest KISS in dramaland!!!! I picture it and my eyes tear up!

All the tension I am feeling would have been resolved in that scene!:D But I can only dream......

Haha! I can't believe you went back to read your old posts. I remember you saying that and thinking romance? What romance? I came in to the show not knowing anything about the controversies (I was just trying to recover from Misty) and my first reaction after #1-2 was that this was a slice of life/thriller/mystery kind of show. I was so wrong!

And you have tempted me to write fanfic! HAHAHA. The hottest kiss, coming your way soon...

4 hours ago, africandramalover said:

n contrast, I notice how the main mode of greetings in Korea is the head bow. 

Therefore, it struck me that DH asked for a handshake, and held her hand in the shake for as long as they did.

Someone who understands Korea can clarify what such a long handshake would mean in Korea....

To me it looked like, I missed you, I'm so glad to see You!

The amount of time it lingered said to me that these people will have to get together. Even if not that day. Someday. 

:huh:

Edit: @justamom and everyone else.... have you watched one of  LSKs first dramas called Behind The White Tower? It was one of the first dramas I ever watched. It was also directed by our Ahn Pan Seok....

I've spent time working in Korea and Japan. And men and women at work....just don't touch each other, especially at stuffy places like engineering firms. They offer me handshakes sometimes but I think that's because they think I'm a foreigner and that's what foreigners do. The rest of the time we just nod/bow heads. 

To me the handshake, especially coming after her friends called for her to leave, was his heart wanting more of her. Wanting her to stay just a bit longer, even though he knew he couldn't hold her back. So he literally, tried to hold her in the only way he could in public. (its also in my fanfic. haha)

No I haven't watched White Tower but I've heard of it! I wasn't able to find it. PM me if you do!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I actually was looking forward to a full-blown kiss - so a handshake and a look back and a voiceover and a smile depressed me to no end! I loved the ending but it took me 2 days to replay it without crying! Till of course I got back to my senses and appreciated the gorgeously subtle, blissful and reaffirming resolution of one chapter of their lives (the one covered in the series) and the simultaneous wonder of all future possibilities (both personal and professional). And knocking my head over what the actual purpose of the story was: the writer/ director and cast were successful in making us believe that two unlikely people can become each other's refuge and savior and change each other to live better, taking charge of their fates, because they deserve better. A little bit of attention, kindness, empathy and selflessness went a long way in this one! 

In that last scene, DH and Ji-An's contentment as individuals was contagious and the screen was lit with so much brightness, in contrast to their previous dark moods and claustrophobic pathways, office / subway/ neighborhood. It was magical and real and sublime. They have come such a long way! As for what lies ahead, one lives in hope, doesn't one? After all, they certainly do! (DH's reaction certainly gives hope). If nothing else, they'll have that dinner, maybe more than once, just to stay in touch. Out of all the endings and open endings that could have happened, this one was well-thought out and one for the ages. 

Truly one of the greatest stories ever told!

Thanks to all soompiers here who, with me, passionately discussed every twist and turn and silence and action! It was crazy, melancholic, hair-pulling, fun. May all of us be happy too! Bye! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Don't forget that JA too suggested he opened his own business, without resorting to bashing him (can't really recall what YH said over coffee, but it was demeaning) 

I would say JA wanting him to be truly happy trumps  YH asking him to "look how other men your age live" (not staying out drinking with childhood friends, being 'successful', etc.)

JA wants what's best for DH; YH compares him to other men. 

@tiger457_stv  I don't think this is more than 1 year.

• Two men (chairman & DH) can't possibly still be talking about a former office temp 3 years on. 
  • YR may likely get the billboard spots on account of her successful comeback 
  • As for DH, he's already got connections via Saman E&C + his own neighbourhood pals who would recommend his business. Remember what JA said that night he checked the restaurant owner's building? Plus, his office didn't even look that big, and a few employees could very well be interns. Interns are cheap. LOL. Plus plus, it seems he's very hands-on, implying the start of the business, where CEOs actually take calls :grin:
  • The son was 12 when the show started, as per tving. If he seemed older in the photos, I would put it down to puberty
  • The report JA handed to her boss was of the 3rd and 4th quarter. K I dunno what that means, just throwing this out there. 

Just for fun: "A ghost has risen again. Huh? Where did it go? Huh? This is an expression that says you're quite taken aback." :heart:

I think @tiger457_stv is probably right. Unfortunally I don't remenber who wrote it but the post translated the dialogue between DH and the guy, and then DH was saying that his son was 14 years old in american age.

And I agree too about the business: even if you have many contacts, normaly it will take more than 2 years to be relatively successfull. As this is a realistic drama, I think it is the case here. I really thought it very weird when I first watched the episode the fact that DH  had already that level of success just in 1 year, but after the info about the son's age, it became clear. 

About the dialogue: after the correct translation of it here (thank you very much those who helped us!!!!), I think that that dialogue is VERY important, full of information, and gives closere to many things:

1. Says the age of DH's son: he was 11-12, he is now 14-15. Three years has passed;

2. YH after three years is living there - definitively separated;

3. It explain too that he had enough time to put his company in the path of success;

4. He calls "son's mother", indicating the status change. I think after three years, they are divorced or in the way to it. After three years, family (mother) already knows about it. In regards to his son: 14 years is old enough to understanding it. 

5. It give to JA (as well to the viewers) the opportunity to know that he isn't married anymore.

So, I think that every thing was clearly tied up when they see each other. Everything was cleaned to let a new future and happy and health life begin :) 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Anyway, I really gave the alternate explanation a fair shake. I think there is enough in the show to conclude that Dong-Hoon stayed with Yoon-Hee. But the Dong-Hoon we see in the final sequence is bursting with happiness when he sees Ji-An again. That cannot be denied.

Newland Archer stayed with his wife out of duty, and he wasn't happy because he couldn't be with his true love. But even after his wife died, he declined to see the Countess again when he had the chance. He is a very repressed character until the end. I don't think you can compare him to the Dong-Hoon we seen in the last scene.

Fair point and I can see how those who weren't watching the show as closely (like my husband) would have thought it was a farewell handshake. But if you pay attention, no way. It's a promise of more.

BTW can I just say something about that blue suit? It's a BLUE SUIT! Stodgy CEOs in Korea, never, ever wear blue suits! Especially not in the super conservative construction/engineering industries. It's super fashionable! And like the Chinese saying I mentioned earlier, suggests that Dong Hoon is having his second spring! Getting in touch with his inner man! And he has a new haircut too! Dong Hoon is feeling young again!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, yongsital said:

@tiger457_stv Yeah I agree with @ccl82. It couldn't have been more than one year. Also the movie KH was watching with Yura in it was the same one she was filming in earlier episodes. Movies take time to be released but 3-4 years later seems like too much time. One year seems more reasonable.

Also, I've been thinking about JA's confrontation with JY in the interrogation room. You know how she calls him out for looking down at her feelings for DH? Is there a possibility the writer was also calling out viewers who said a romantic love would downgrade their relationship and make it unpure? :ph34r: I can totally see the writer feeling 'hurt' by comments saying it takes away from the beautiful relationship she wrote. Hehe just random thoughts I have during my withdrawal.

@yongsital  Ji-an at that point in her life, knows her place in society.... In class/cast conscious Korean society she would be at the bottom (in Joseon she would me a choenmin... the undesirable while Ajusshi would be a yangbang nobility).   She knew that she has no chance to ever be a mate for Her Ajusshi.  She trusted, was grateful, admired, literally worshipped Her Ajusshi...but in a pure innocent way.  hence how dare the weasel CEO besmirch their beautiful relationship!  Even when she asked for a hug from Ajusshi, there was no sexual connotation to that.... she just want to express her love, and receive some back, platonically... that is all.

Ajusshi probably thinks of her in the same way, as  fellow shipwrecks on the same boat who have travelled with each other for so long, clinging to each others in their mutual needs....mostly platonic.  

That does not mean they are not AWARE of, and  are not ATTRACTED to  each other as man and woman, but that awareness and attraction is suppressed due to ranks and circumstances.

Speed forward to the ending, she now is more mature, with more confident, standing on her own two feet, and maybe now she can dare think of Ajusshi in different light, but that thought takes time, little by little.....  Hence the end is just the beginning.

This reader still think that more than 1 year has elapsed.  It would be unusual for a girl to start work in a branch office and in 1 year, end up in the main office.  Don't they have seniority system?

He probably left the company and formed a 1 to 2 men show, then the others came later as they got more business.  This reader agree with you that he probably has many contacts working 10+ years in the business with a great reputation so it won't take too long to build up a clientele.  But many clients already have contract with others,... it takes time to switch contractors... first the old contracts must be finished.

He could have met the Chairman 1 to 2 years earlier and was told that she did well.  It is unlikely that they would keep in touch that often... after all they are competitors (sort of.... an elephant and a zebra, both eating the same grass).  Kudo to the elephant not trying to crush the zebra.

• Like 8

Wanted to post this here, thanks to dongans from tumblr for making it. I thought in the "kiss" scene they didn't actually kiss and did a side kiss but it actually looks like a real kiss haha. Also @LSK you should look a little shocked here but you kinda look like you're enjoying it :D

tumblr_inline_p90nshSdLy1rdddme_1280.jpg

• Like 6
  • LOL 12
  • Thanks 3

@ninaanin

Hmm... I'm referring to the tvn character guide. Let's say at the start of the show JS is 12, going on 13. And DH mentioned he's 14 American age? At most I would say, 1 year plus. 

Did DH also say YH's been there for 3 years? 

@tiger457_stv Special treatment. She knows someone who knows someone... HAHA. I would be devastated if this is more than 2 years tops. In fact, if this is more than 2 years, WHAT SERUM IS DH USING? Gimme some of that. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, ninaanin said:

I'm a wife, and nope I wouldn't like it.  I am the soulmate, kindred spirits of my husband lol.  

I remember I posted round episode 3 my thoughts about woman-single meats her kindred/soulmate man-married, and I said it couldn't work, because it would jeopardize the marriage, even if it was only platonic. I said then that: or the soulmates would have to be apart (what will make both not completely happy), or the marriage couldn't stand.

No wife would like to witness her husband sharing (platonic) relationship with a kindred/soulmate. How can a marriage go on when the man (or woman) has more confidence, support, communication and understanding from a third part? When a third is able to know the husband/wife better?

I would feel myself betrayed, even if it isn't sexual and purely platonic. Emotional relationship can be more deep than a sexual one. 

As many said here: DH - JA were having an emotional affair lol.

Exactly, and through and with all that, YH was just okey, no reaction whatsoever, like what does she care even if she had found out later on that her husband had been been very caring towards this girl JA (whom has feelings fr her husband), had been walking home with her, having dinner and drinks with, even got into a fight for her... i am not married too, but if i imagine myself as the wife i would have raised hell and would never, never have any of that.  Her indifference tells a lot, cause if she even loved DH at all, those things would have woken her up and make her fight for her husband.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, noor1 said:

If nothing else, they'll have that dinner, maybe more than once, just to stay in touch.

She has to visit his new office and say hi to her former co-workers too. They went to her grandmother’s funeral, after all. She also has to go to DH’s mother’s funeral one day.  A promise is a promise.

She also stays in contact with Jung Hee too. Another connection to DH.

• Like 10

Hey guys, if there is still any doubt that all those loving gazes and shy glances were not deliberately put there by the director, these pictures should confirm it once and for all.  Thank you @mylovelystar for posting the pictures.  Damn, LSK makes me melt with his smile.

DdoT39yV0AAB5jW.jpg

DdoT390UwAAFaWt?format=jpg

• Like 16

Yay! I finally finished watching Episode 16 with subs!!! :)

I was already overwhelmed when I watched the raw live streaming.  I was screaming when the last scene came on and practically freaked out when all Dong Hoon did in the end was shake Ji An’s hand.  It was like PM&I deja vu to me and I didn’t like it.  Good thing I decided to check out Soompi and Tumblr and other sites and my fears were put to rest when I read comments about that scene, especially that handshake.  But I still couldn’t shake off the feeling that, maybe, maybe, Dong Hoon decided to go the noble idiocy route after all:  happy that Ji An has finally integrated into society and seem to be moving on, but sad because he knows she will do that without him. But again, my fellow Soompiers put my mind at ease. Hehehe.  It’s difficult to interpret when you can’t understand the words, although it is a testament to their acting skills that I still felt their emotions. 

I have so much I want to say but it’s almost midnight here.  For now, all I can say is that My Ahjussi is the most romantic non-romance drama I have ever watched.  And Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An had the most intense and intimate non-relationship ever. 

I’ll definitely say a bit more in the next couple of days because I am sooooo not over this drama. :D

• Like 15
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Hey guys, if there is still any doubt that all those loving gazes and shy glances were not deliberately put there by the director, these pictures should confirm it once and for all.  Thank you @mylovelystar for posting the pictures.  Damn, LSK makes me melt with his smile.

He's looking at her so warmly in these pictures. Wow. I can't believe they are just rehearsing here.

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, anipanch said:

Wanted to post this here, thanks to dongans from tumblr for making it. I thought in the "kiss" scene they didn't actually kiss and did a side kiss but it actually looks like a real kiss haha. Also @LSK you should look a little shocked here but you kinda look like you're enjoying it :D

tumblr_inline_p90nshSdLy1rdddme_1280.jpg

Oh, not me.  I knew their lips really did touch, but the whole thing was edited to go so fast that it was very hard to see.  The irony is that the officially posted YouTube clip of this scene, by TVN, features the exact moment their lips touched as the picture for this video.  It's like they wanted to make sure viewers know it really did happen. Not sure if that makes sense, so here it is.  

Like some already said before, TvN is their biggest shipper. :D  It's just too bad we did not get a repeat, and for real this time.  But do you think the director's cut will show more?

• Like 18

42 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Oh, not me.  I knew their lips really did touch, but the whole thing was edited to go so fast that it was very hard to see.  The irony is that the officially posted YouTube clip of this scene, by TVN, features the exact moment their lips touched as the picture for this video.  It's like they wanted to make sure viewers know it really did happen. Not sure if that makes sense, so here it is.  

Like some already said before, TvN is their biggest shipper. :D  It's just too bad we did not get a repeat, and for real this time.  But do you think the director's cut will show more?

I wonder how may takes it took ?

:ph34r:

:tongue:

• LOL 10