[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Received the Blu-ray set yesterday. I'm from the US.

The package is full of fan swaggg! More than worth the money to get it.

The script however - I want to read it, but have very little skill in Hangul characters. What's the best way to translate the text to English?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Synosis said:

The script however - I want to read it, but have very little skill in Hangul characters. What's the best way to translate the text to English?

Woot!! Have you tried something like this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.translate&hl=en_US

It scans and translates at the same time and is very handy when traveling to a foreign country. 

I would love to own a copy of the script. If any member here wants to sell her copy, please let me know. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Synosis said:

Learn Hangul! Just kidding. Naver has a scanning app where you can use your phone. It's machine translation, but it will get the meaning across.

• Like 2

Thanks! Great minds think alike. Just wasn't sure which app was more accurate. Am seriously considering learning Korean. A friend just got back from Incheon and said everyone was really nice, but spoke only a little English. My thought is that going to a foreign country, I should take the time to learn language and customs so I unintentionally don't offend and can get around reasonably well. I'll look into these apps and my local Korean school.

Once again, thanks to the helpful people on this fantastic forum from a long-time lurker and My Ajussi fan  :)

Edited by Synosis
  • Like 3

On 5/29/2019 at 3:36 AM, justamom said:

It's here! My package arrived yesterday. And it contains 2 thick DVD folios: one is episodes 1-16, the second is all special material: BTS, makings of, interviews....I can't wait to start watching but I'm also swamped with work at the moment.

I did however dive straight into the script and I couldn't stop reading! I'll try to translate a few key scenes at some point but here's my take so far: the script is really understated! It's as thick as a brick and reads just like a novel. With just a few key sentences--Park Hae Young manages to convey the mood and feeling of the scene. She is such a gifted writer and I'm so in awe.

Also--was it in the Japanese interview? I can confirm that I've never seen a script with so many "..." "?" "!" - man it must have been quite a challenge for the directors and actors. Like Park Dong Hoon literally has tons of lines that go like this

Dong Hoon: !

Dong Hoon: ...

Dong Hoon: ?

I can also confirm that the "expressions of love" scenes are deliberately understated (unlike Her Private Life lol). But as a writer and reader--come on. This is love. It can only be love. In fact it also seems clear to me in many respects that the directing and acting teams added on elements not in the script to show the unspoken love between Dong Hoon and Ji An.

More later, when I have more time!

@justamom so looking forward to what you can share from the script. I don't know why some people can't see the love between them. :)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5

Oh wow, I want to know about the script sooo much, hope to see more about it here:wub:

And guys, idk why, but seeing LSK in Cannes film festival and IU working on her own project makes me feel like there's a big chance of reunion in a movie? Like in the inner drama/movie cycle MA actually got a huge recognition and I'm sure many film and casting casting directors would have eyes on them.

Haha I'm talking fantasies buuuut like the chances seem kinda real??? I really don't know why I'm like this lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:22 PM, LaRoseme said:

We're way past this but I literally went through the thread to find someone who thinks like this. While in many instances Ji An seems to be dominant and more courageous than him, I am pretty sure in intimate relationships it would be just the exact opposite. Dong Hoon is not a victim in intimacy, Ji An is probably the one who is because of all the violence she has come across. Dong Hoon is not unpassionate because he holds back and struggles in life, he just hasn't had that passion with Yoon Hee, plus he didn't let it show as much to Ji An just because he is a man of strong morals and manners and that I appreciate so much. The fight proved that he has it in him. I think while he loved Yoon Hee at some point they just never had that passion, it was just a basic relationship, and with time it even lost that love, and became just like house mates who got used to the other being there, just existing. Like someone who is smart and has a good job and they do it well, but they don't go out and beyond for it because they're not passionate about it. Things change when they're hit by an instances that push them beyond their comfort zone, and they find something they're so interested in that it constantly reminds them of itself, something they connect with so they start finding purpose and meaning. So they go like 'oh wait, there's better? I thought it was normal to just get used to the routine, that it just happened with time?' 

I think even that last bit of respect and 'basic' relationship was destroyed and gone when Yoon Hee cheated on him. So they became as good as strangers, probably not even able to be housemates anymore. 

But about Ji An...You know how we just get used to tv shows because you have been watching them for years then get into Kdrama and realize there's a whole world you weren't aware of? or watch kdramas then get hit by something like My Ahjussi and you go like 'oh wait dramas can get better?' lol so yeah... it's obviously not that basic there's a lot more to it but that's one of the many reasons why I think he has that passion in him.

Can I write another spam about how the past few days have been reviving too many drama feels. LSK obviously deserved a whole lot more and I am still upset he didn't get that award but seeing him in Cannes and all that is great recognition of it's own, apart from the fact that he needs to chill and stop being so charismatic even though he has two kids and is in his 40s like this is not fair. 

Thats me !!! I stopped responding on this thread bc I forgot my password . But I have been lurking around here and of course I am still an avid reader of fanfic. 

I got sucked into my ajhussi again bc of all the hot apearences LSK has been making where he looks half his age !!

he just looks so cute / adorable / sexy in all his recent apparences that I had to go back to fanfic to see him get naughty over there :) 

meanwhile I have been enjoying your recent fanfic and eagerly waiting for new chapters.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, t123han said:

Thats me !!! I stopped responding on this thread bc I forgot my password . But I have been lurking around here and of course I am still an avid reader of fanfic. 

I got sucked into my ajhussi again bc of all the hot apearences LSK has been making where he looks half his age !!

he just looks so cute / adorable / sexy in all his recent apparences that I had to go back to fanfic to see him get naughty over there :) 

meanwhile I have been enjoying your recent fanfic and eagerly waiting for new chapters.

Glad to see you're still around. I'm not sure where you live, but if you are in Asia Parasite should reach you soon, and you may not have to wait long to "see him get naughty." :ph34r:

Spoiler

Viewers in SK have raised concern over the film's 15+ maturity rating, referring to the "intense" sex scene between LSK's character and his wife. (possibly graphic fondling, but I won't say more) More on LSK's soompi thread. 

• Like 4

On 6/8/2019 at 3:01 PM, t123han said:

So true like all these latest appearance are just making it harder to get over the drama and LSK in general. Also thank you for reading I am really glad you like it! I am hoping to update soon but I caught a cold and have a bad fever that's not going down so everytime I write my head spins so that's not helping lol .. Maybe I will use the heat to write some cute stuff :P:P

• Like 3

Nice to see a lot of people are back :)  I visited Korea a few days ago and managed to go to a fee of the filming sites of My Ahjussi. It felt surreal seeing it in person :tears:  I especially loved the railway line and the special bar they spent a lot of their time together in. 

I went to where the coffee shop was but I think it’s shut down already from the looks of it. There were two other coffee shops in what seem to be in place of that one ☹️.

I managed to take a picture of where they shook hands though.

Seeing the actual filming sites in person gave me a new perspective, in terms of how intentional the details the director put in the drama were.

Where they shook hands and walked their separate ways, I saw how the pedestrian lights werent really facing the camera. Meaning it must have been captured at such an angle to show that changing of the red man into the green walking man. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Amanda Song on Youtube has been sharing her thoughts as she dove into My Ajusshi with minimal knowledge about the show prior to watching. Her reactions were actually very sincere and not cheesy at all. I find it amusing that each one of her videos has gotten so many views and comments from the Korean audience in such a short time, but she seems to understand the language and able to respond to most of them. She, like most of us here, saw the "love" right away and even did a special video at the end discussing this very topic weeks after posting her final reaction, and her analysis was spot on. I guess @h2ogirl was right, the nature of their relationship is one debate that will live on forevah.

In chronologically descending order:

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Even today, when I feel down or confused or just have too many thoughts in my mind, I watch a clip or two from My Ahjussi to clear my head. In an instant my mind relaxes, I breathe easier.

So today I came across this clip, one of many small but significant moments, what sparks Jung Hee’s change: when she realizes the hurt she has felt all these years in fact caused even greater hurt to someone else. The ensemble acting, directing and scriptwriting is just perfect.

• Like 7

"My Ajusshi" is a masterpiece, especially the script, the camera work and the acting. I've rewatched the drama 2-3 times, although I always skip the final episode, because I can't stand open endings. If it didn't finish with an open ending, it could've been my favorite drama of all time.

• Like 6

On 6/10/2019 at 11:30 PM, ann04 said:

Nice to see a lot of people are back :)  I visited Korea a few days ago and managed to go to a fee of the filming sites of My Ahjussi. It felt surreal seeing it in person :tears:  I especially loved the railway line and the special bar they spent a lot of their time together in. 

I went to where the coffee shop was but I think it’s shut down already from the looks of it. There were two other coffee shops in what seem to be in place of that one ☹️.

I managed to take a picture of where they shook hands though.

Seeing the actual filming sites in person gave me a new perspective, in terms of how intentional the details the director put in the drama were.

Where they shook hands and walked their separate ways, I saw how the pedestrian lights werent really facing the camera. Meaning it must have been captured at such an angle to show that changing of the red man into the green walking man. 

Thank you @ann04 for sharing about your trip to Korea and the "pilgrimage" too! Wow you were at the place where they shook hands! The railway! The special bar! I wish I could go there too and take a few pictures and retrace their footsteps. When I was younger and starry-eyed, I used to "retrace" the footsteps of mad poets on some famous street I knew they had walked down before. Where have those days gone? My Ahjusshi awakened something in me to be real again.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, justamom said:

Here's my review of Parasite! I posted a link to Give Me Slippers and mentioned My Ahjussi as well.

https://xfiatlux.wordpress.com/2019/07/02/parasite-movie-review/

Thank you for sharing the review, receiving bluray and script, and your thoughts again @justamom, looking forward to more of the things you are writing. That clip you posted could have just been another bar scene, but it was totally sublime. The whole of Episode 14, ending with "Lee Ji an, Lee Ji an, call me" was sublime.

@widala I laughed when seeing we are celebrating dear ahjusshi's birthday! Let's hope we can celebrate it every year!

@sadiesmith he loves her!!!!!:w00t: Thanks for posting those videos.

• Like 6