[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The teenagers scene wth a man lying dead, probably case of manslaughter but WM took the fall.. I think WM will protect her till the end.

As to the video, I dont suppose any three if them will want it exposed. Pride will over-rule jealousy. Decision will niw be on TW as I suppose he took away the chip??

TW together wth WM will definitely come up with somethg else to clear her murder charges.

I can see why those 3men loved her deeply.. even I (as a woman) have very high regards on Hyeran's struggles and principles (her conversation wth her boss)

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

How did KL find out that EJ knew HR?

to your question and a few others who speculated that KL or EJ might have planned from the beginning to get back get HR by showing off KL success et al, I find that rather freaky.  I don't see KL as a psychopath to make such and elaborate plan by marrying EJ and went on the become the PGA champion and such but i'm not so sure about EJ. After seeing EJ in ep8 listening to that song over and over, i would like to believe that she made those plans.

Somehow i'm still confuse about KL/EJ/HR/MW history together. We know that HR and EJ were in high school together and we can assume that MW was in the same school. Was KL with them in high school? We only saw in the flashback scenes 1) HR going to visit MW at the prison wearing a school uniform and the last was 2) an adult HR handing the prison guard the invitation card. I'm thinking that HR/KL's relationship was between 1 and 2. We also know that HR/KL relationship was about 1yr and 3 mths (haha i can't believe such a hottie can be so precise). So i gather that KL wasn't in high school with EJ/HR and MW. So when did EJ meet KL? Did she incidentally picked up HR's crumbs?

Another thing that still lingers on my mind is  KL's burned scar. 

Hye Ran's words are still reverberating in my ears.

Hye Ran: "Do you know why I keep trying to climb up the ladder? It's because of this. I don't want to be stopped from reporting the truth. I don't want to lose to the bXXX who keep getting in my way. I know, I'm mean, cold and selfish. I'd do anything to achieve my goal. I'd sell my soul if I have to, but my news always reported the truth. I've never compromised for money or power. I was always tough on people who tried to cover things up. That's how I kept my place at News9..."

Boss: "But you may get hurt before you even climb up that ladder. That's okay with you?"

Hye Ran: "If I lose here, then I won't be able to win even after I climb that ladder"

That, my friends, is class, conviction, and why Hye Ran is THE BOSS! How often do we even in real life, see a woman like her? Most of us when obstacles are thrown our way, bow our head downs and compromise. Not Hye Ran. She's everything I wanted to be but never had the guts to achieve. A long time ago, I was a journalist too. I looked around me, I saw how difficult the circumstances were, how difficult it was to report the truth. So I decided change would have to come through other means. I was just one person, not big enough to make that change happen. I know Hye Ran is just a character, but especially at my older age I often think, what if? What if I had dared to stick to my guns? But all along the way, people I respected, people I admired were telling me I should keep my head down and not rock the boat. Hye Ran has shown me that there could have been another way, no there can be another way. And it's blowing my mind.

@bebebisous33 and others

It's really not that hard to see why HR is so well-liked or at least if not liked, respected. Aside from her bald audacity and frankness, she almost never paints herself as a victim. Even when she knows that she's up against the proverbial glass ceiling in her profession, she never stops fighting to make things better for herself and her ambitious female colleague. She may want equal opportunity but she wants her female colleague to earn that opportunity as much as she has. Ambition isn't enough... a woman has to be good in her job and prove it. And why not... HR has the pride of a professional which we all respect.

Even though I face palm at some of the stuff she gets up to, there's no denying that she's a fighter and a survivor.

I think what people really dislike about Eun Joo is how she comes across as being The Victim. How especially in that last episode she talks about herself as the injured party, the victim of adultery and betrayal. Moreover on the night when Kevin died, they had a big fight where she used the language of entitlement. He owed her and she wanted him to at the very least repay her for that. At that moment she was pathetically clinging on to the husband that she knew she was losing. I believe those were the actions of a desperate woman who is carrying the child of a man who no longer wants her.

This is I believe becomes more compelling when contrasted with TW, for instance. For all he knows, he's a cuckold. At first he's not sure but he chooses to love his wife despite his own doubts. He takes responsibility for the problems in his marriage. He acknowledges that he left his wife alone for too long... that's why she might have strayed... and it's his fault. Then he watches a video presumably of his wife telling another man that she needs her husband... that she's just using him. He doesn't know the context and he's reeling from it. From the preview I gather he is unwavering in his affections.

I don't doubt that EJ has some justification for how she feels and I have a lot of sympathy for her. But she plays the victim card. She chooses not to show TW the video but goes to the police instead because she knows that TW (after what he's told her) would never abandon EJ even if he finds out that she's been unfaithful to him. With that in mind she decides to cast her erstwhile friend as a major suspect in a maybe murder case (not even determined) and unleash a blow where it really hurts -- attack her reputation. I might not approve of the method but I do grudgingly admire the cunning behind it.

I think it's clear that the foundations of EJ and Kevin's marriage were seriously flawed... adultery or not. He'd obviously cheated on her before and there has been trust issues from the start. I don't doubt she mothered Kevin to some degree... but that's the terms of their marriage, something they both agreed on spoken or unspoken. The problem with EJ is that she hasn't taken any responsibility for the issues in her marriage and that the failure of her marriage is in part due to her as much as Kevin. I understand why she might have been smothering Kevin or why he felt smothered but because he was prone to infidelity and she had to put up with it because there were obviously benefits to her doing so. She was insecure. He was talented in golf. He was going places and she was the wife that helped him. Kevin was grateful at least I believe but he didn't love her enough to give up his womanizing ways or move on from HR.   

If EJ had acknowledge her own part in the failure of their marriage, I suspect that she would have garnered more sympathy... or have more people rooting for her. The fact that she blames HR entirely for it... well, she can't blame Kevin because he's dead... is absolutely over-the-top and irrational. But she's an emotional mess despite the calm facade and she's pregnant... so I won't be too harsh. :wink: And she only has half the piece of the puzzle.

To me, all these people are fascinating in all their sins. The writer has done a great job with them. I'm trying to be the dispassionate observer (as much as I can be) and look at them from different points of view objectively. 

9 hours ago, larus said:

When Eun Joo left the computer I noticed that Tae Wook was caught on tape, when he followed Hye Ran`s car that day. I think he is the one behind her in the parking lot.  That was the first clue and I think the show will give us another susprise later, when we`ll find out that Kevin and Tae Wook meet that night. It is just my hunch.

That caught my attention as well. It's definitely deliberate. But what's the significance?

I thought Eun Joo and Hye Ran's conversation revealed a lot of clues. 

- "I don't think I would have taken a second look at Lee Jae Young if I had a guy like your husband." -- this is a line that says a thousand things. She's deeply jealous of Hye Ran. She only settled for Jae Young because she knew at that time there was no way she could get someone better. She doesn't loved Jae Young that much. When she first met Hye Ran at the airport, she was showing him off to her. This is Kevin Lee, PGA Champion. But now she calls him Lee Jae Young with Hye Ran. And, she wishes she had a guy like Tae Wook! And finds Tae Wook much more superior, classy, handsome, etc than Jae Young (no wonder he got so mad at her in Thailand, that probably wasn't the first time he heard that from her). She's also saying "If I could get a guy like Tae Wook, I would have dumped Jae Young straight away"! And boy does she look down/scorn her husband. No wonder he got so infuriated with her!

- "I didn't just lose my husband, I lost the ten years that I sacrificed for him. All the years I gave up for him, they became worthless" -- why did Eun Joo say this? Is it because she thought that was the end of their marriage? Or, perhaps she thought Jae Young was her possession after the time and effort she invested in him. Her trophy. So she lost the ten years not in the sense that she lost Jae Young, but she realised she never had him, never would have been able to truly own him. That it was meaningless to have invested that time on him.

- "If there's anything I should apologise for, it's not killing Lee Jae Young myself. And if there's anything I regret, it's not killing him that night with my own hands." -- was this just because Kevin was trying to blackmail her? Did something else happen? Did he try to rape her? What did he make her do?

- "Because I wanted to live. I didn't want to die. I lied that night to appease him. That humiliating memory keeps stabbing my heart" - how on earth did Kevin humiliate her? Besides having to lie about her relationship with Tae Wook and how she felt about him and Kevin. Or was it humiliating having to kiss someone she deeply resented?

DAMN does this writer know how to write dialogue!

10 minutes ago, justamom said:

"I didn't just lose my husband, I lost the ten years that I sacrificed for him. All the years I gave up for him, they became worthless" -- why did Eun Joo say this? Is it because she thought that was the end of their marriage? Or, perhaps she thought Jae Young was her possession after the time and effort she invested in him. Her trophy. So she lost the ten years not in the sense that she lost Jae Young, but she realised she never had him, never would have been able to truly own him. That it was meaningless to have invested that time on him.

I think when she heard on the video that JY and Hr were lovers  before he met her and that his greatest love was Hr and he still held a torch for her all these years - that was  a super blow to EJ.   Hr is not just a random conquest, another pretty young thing, she is a dynamic accomplished force of nature, who her husband is still in love with.   I think EJ did mention at one point that JY had broken up with someone when he met her.  So  i do think she knew he married her on the rebound, but I don't think he realized how deeply and seriously JY was in love - afterall JY when it comes to woman is not that serious.    Now EJ looks back at the times they watched HR on the news together and she bragged about her being her HS friend - to her husband, and in the meantime he was desiring to be with that woman.   

2 hours ago, justamom said:

- "If there's anything I should apologise for, it's not killing Lee Jae Young myself. And if there's anything I regret, it's not killing him that night with my own hands." -- was this just because Kevin was trying to blackmail her? Did something else happen? Did he try to rape her? What did he make her do?

- "Because I wanted to live. I didn't want to die. I lied that night to appease him. That humiliating memory keeps stabbing my heart" - how on earth did Kevin humiliate her? Besides having to lie about her relationship with Tae Wook and how she felt about him and Kevin. Or was it humiliating having to kiss someone she deeply resented?

@justamom Great breaking down of the conversation!

Just wanted to share my thoughts too.

"If there's anything I should apologise for, it's not killing Lee Jae Young myself. And if there's anything I regret, it's not killing him that night with my own hands." 

Perhaps she thought LJY is a scum on earth that should not live and cause misery to the both of them. Killing him will be a benefit to society.

I think HR felt she lost control of the whole KL accident. If she had killed him, she would know all the facts and not be a suspect for his death. She would have done the necessary so that it wouldn't spin out of control and be threatened by EJ and everyone else left right and centre.

- "Because I wanted to live. I didn't want to die. I lied that night to appease him. That humiliating memory keeps stabbing my heart"

I think it is the humiliation from having to kiss passionately with someone whom she resented. She acted so well in the scene, opening her eyes when she was being kissed and it looked so force. She had to do it just to keep her reputation intact. 

---------------------

Reading the synopsis makes me think it was purely an accident. It would be a thought provoking drama about what humans do over a non-incident to protect their ego, reputation, assets, etc. Who will be the 2 other suspects eventually? 

A dead body is found, and three suspects are investigated. Who killed that person and for what reason? Between different statements, the truth is slowly revealed. Everyone wants to own more and live a better life than others. The passion for success starts with such a pure heart. However, that goal is something that can be never satisfied. People do whatever it takes to protect what they have and take more from others. This program shows how people, who aim only to live better than others, act to achieve their goals.

3 hours ago, justamom said:

DAMN does this writer know how to write dialogue!

Certainly that but not only that. :wink:

HR is someone who prides herself on having made her achievements on her own merits using her smarts. She's worked hard to get to where she is without having to demean herself and sell body eg. sleep with the boss etc. But on that occasion, she had to resort to "skirt flashing"... using her feminine wiles to get the upperhand and sexual manipulation... it's contrary to everything she is and believed in. I imagine she would have felt utter revulsion at having to stoop to such a level to get results. 

For her it was akin to prostituting herself.

As for killing him, I think it's a hyperbole of sorts but it's something along the lines of what her friend, Reporter Yoon said. The whole brouhaha over Kevin's death has turned into a personal nightmare and if she had actually killed Kevin, it might have been a lot less messy for her. For a person who is an utter control freak, this was something that had come out of nowhere and if she had killed him she would have cleaned up after herself much better and found a way of spinning it in her favour.

Hye Ran is not stupid, she’s been shown to be a shrewd and ambitious woman, so why would she do that broadcast, knowing the major storm she would unleash?

That’s because this time, she had Tae Wook in mind. Even though he did not mention it to her, she knew the reason behind her getting the Blue House job, even while under investigation was Tae Wook and she would have known he had to give up something to do that.

Tae Wook, though born with a silver spoon, has always fancied himself as a righteous warrior, someone who did not want to go down the path his father and his partners took. But for Hye Ran he was willing to sacrifice himself.

People like that Gold Door Group, always collect on their favors. It’s like selling your soul to the devil, they will surely demand something later. Someone like Tae Wook would crumble under those demands as each compromise slowly eats at him, or he would become just like the others to justify his actions. Hye Ran does not want that for Tae Wook, she does not want him indebted to those people. She might not have even realized it, but subconsciously she was protecting him. This time, she had her husband in mind.

Ps.1 About Eun Joo, initially her anger was justified, especially if she felt Hye Ran lied to her and betrayed her, but she crossed the line, when she decided to frame someone for murder. That is a criminal act, you are trying to send someone to jail, for a crime you know they did not commit.

The fact that she was already fantasizing about Tae Wook, shows she never loved Kevin Lee, she just liked the idea of being married to a celebrity, and portraying the false narrative of having a perfect marriage. She was jealous of Hye Ran, who in her own words was more popular and well liked in school. So, parading her husband in front of Hye Ran was her—look at me now moment. Then it turns out that Hye Ran not only had the better husband, but even her own prized possession preferred Hye Ran.

Ps.2 Hopefully, Tae Wook switched the flash drive. They purposely did not show the clip playing when Eun Joo came back, just a screensaver, so either he or Myun Woo took the flash drive. Hope it's Tae Wook though, cause as a previous prosecutor, he would have known not to leave such evidence behind.

Eun Jo: I replayed again the fight between KL and EJ the night KL died. When KL arrived home, EJ was packing a suitcase and she informed Kevin that she has scheduled them to leave for America the next day and he has a game in a month. Kevin begged to rest and the fight started when EJ yelled about why Kevin has no right to rest, Kevin complaining that he feels suffocated and so on. What was interesting was what EJ said at the ending of the fight, when EJ said what was really bothering her. She reminded Kevin of his promise not to cheat and that Kevin kept his promise for more than a year. Then she said, “the moment we returned to Korea the first chance you get, you cheat on me. I could understand about Jiwon who is pretty and young but not my friend, not Hye Ran, she is my friend”……..aha. That was also the year that Kevin won twice in a most prestigious tournament in the world of golf and he was the only golfer to win that price twice and became a well-respected and world-famous athlete. So for EJ, those times were good times, a successful husband, her accomplishment, a husband who at last stopped cheating. On his first interview at News Nine, Kevin praised his wife who helped him become successful and his goal is to make his wife happy. For everyone watching especially EJ, it was a sincere and touching sentiment which EJ believed. It explains her desperation to return to America. It was not just about the game or making money even though Kevin understood it as such. That was why she became very angry because this time it was not about money and Kevin did not understand. But how could he when she was not saying initially what she really felt. America was where her husband had been "faithful" and where she felt safer and in control. Scheduling a game was an excuse to lure Kevin to agree. Returning to America with Kevin was an attempt to get back to where they were before they returned to Korea away from gossip and from HR. It also explains her anger when she played the chip and her anger at TW’s faith in his wife, her anger at losing her husband, the 10 years she invested in making Kevin and invalidated the most precious memories of the year that Kevin kept his promise and had been a faithful husband. EJ does not care about proving guilt. In a world where saving face, pride and reputation is more important than truth, she is bent on destroying the reputation, the face of her imagined nemesis. Hye Ran. EJ asked which she should use to punish HR, which one would hurt HR most. Having an “A” adulterer label on her chest or being suspected of murder. Whether HR is guilty of murder or adultery or not does not matter but the destruction of pride, reputation, humiliation, isolation and shaming of HR does. EJ forgot her responsibility in her own decisions, in her own choices. 

On 2/23/2018 at 8:39 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

HR is probably her own worst enemy in that regard. Not only has she not been forthcoming, but her own overweening ambition (and pride) has brought her to where she is right now. Entangling herself with Kevin particularly knowing how nuts he was and then telling EJ half truths about her relationship with Kevin as it turns out has caused more problems for her. I may be rooting for her on some level but I can't deny that she acts in such a fashion as to undermine her own credibility as someone who is "innocent". I don't care for trial by media either and maybe she thought she acted for the best when she prevaricated to prevent more fuelling of the fire by the salacious rags. 

HR to EJ  "EJ I had a hot, torrid 5 year long love affair with the man you are now married to, JY.  Your husband is a womanizer and adulterer, I know because the TV station received pictures of him and JW together.  He thought I was the one that took the pictures; therefore, he came into my room in Thailand and forced himself on me.  Someone took pictures of us together and placed the pictures on my car."   EJ, "WHAT! you had an affair with my husband before we married? You are the one who left him? You are the one he could not get over? You are the reason he could never love me."  EJ, knowing her husband is a womanizer, EJ would not believe that JY and HR were not having an affair.   The results would have been the same. At first I thought that HR should have revealed her former relationship with JY; however,  after seeing EJ for what she really is, vindictive, small minded and insecure, it would not have mattered.  Her goal is to take HR down.  I have not decided if it is because she is hurt or if it is because she is just spiteful.  As I look at it today, I think that HR was more of a friend to EJ than EJ was a friend to her.  HR did not tell her everything because she was trying to spare EJ's feelings.  I have not seen anything that HR has done that is in and of itself suspicious; however, any of us, if examined under a microscope, would do things that, without explanation, look suspicious.  Because we are not guilty, we might not be forthcoming with an explanation because we've done nothing wrong.  I think that is where HR is coming from. 

I like HR, she has worked hard to get where she is but more importantly, she knows who she is and because of all she has gone through in life, she does not depend on others to "fix it for her," she relies on her own abilities.  Unlike EJ who worked hard to make someone else great, HR worked hard to make herself great. 

@DJG

You are spot on in your analysis.  Loved it. :)

DJG said:

Hye Ran is not stupid, she’s been shown to be a shrewd and ambitious woman, so why would she do that broadcast, knowing the major storm she would unleash?

That’s because this time, she had Tae Wook in mind. Even though he did not mention it to her, she knew the reason behind her getting the Blue House job, even while under investigation was Tae Wook and she would have known he had to give up something to do that.

Tae Wook, though born with a silver spoon, has always fancied himself as a righteous warrior, someone who did not want to go down the path his father and his partners took. But for Hye Ran he was willing to sacrifice himself.

Random comment because I’m rewatching episodes because it’s only Monday....

you know the most common K drama trope? Long lost brother, lover, cousin, even twin sister. And they don’t recognize each other for ages.

I’m so glad Myung Woo and Hye Ran recognized each other INSTANTLY. No mucking around.

We have twins in our family and if ahem, ahem, one of them were to be replaced, I betcha they would notice it immediately and remember it for the rest of their lives. It would be a hugely traumatic event.

I just attended the wedding of a high school friend over the weekend and saw many friends I had not seen in nearly 20 years. Okay, some took a little longer but I could recognize every single one of them even though many of us look completely different from our high school selves. 

Random comment #2

Phone names. Go Hye Ran on her hubby’s phone is Hye Ran. On Kevin’s phone Go Hye Ran. On Eun Joo’s phone, the affectionate “Hye Ran-I”. 

And Hye Ran saved Tae Wook’s number as Tae Wook Sshi.

8 hours ago, DJG said:

Because as per TW's friend,  that ex prosecutor who is now working in the Blue House, Go Hye Ran is crazy and does everything her way.  

TW acknowledged his friend words about his wife  "Crazy who does everything her way"  with an indulgent little smile.  Oh that sweet man.  :wub: 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:08 AM, maddymappo said:

Detective never questioned HJw and doesn't even know her involvement. He never even asked Ej why their rings were off, or why she lied about being home all night.  The investigation is  witch hunt to track down Hr.  His questioning of  Kevin's manager was just to find out what he had on Hr, and never explored or asked him where he was at the time of the accident and if Kevin had any enemies.  This is all prejudice. 

i am quoting myself again on this because it is this lack of real investigation that concerns me.

The detective has not asked Kl's manager - who might be his enemy?  what other women he may be involved with? where he himself was when KL was in the accident.  When was the last time he spoke to KL?  Did he call him the day of the accident/ - etc. etc. etc.

The detective = never questioned EJ about the rings not being on their fingers the night of the accident?  Why - were you arguing?   He never goes back and asks her why she lied about not being out that night?  He never asks her about where she was with Hr and what they discussed?   He didn't even ask her if he was drinking before he left the house....... duh? this is an accident investigation?

He then accepts without question that EJ knew a woman called and it would in her opinion have to be Hr? How does he not ask her - why she came to that conclusion and how she knew who it was?   Does eJ have KL's cellphone?  A dead person has no right to privacy.  She can turn over his cellphone to the police so they can see his contacts.  Why didn't the detective ask to see the cellphone?  He could then see all of Kevin's contacts including HJw etc.     

Sorry, I am just venting again, because Mr gut feelings detective did nothing but try to tie HR to the death of KL from the beginning.   He has been derelict obsessed and focused on proving his feelings not collecting all the facts.

Can I just repeat that I love this drama ? Judging from the preview wooooaaah Tae Wook do you love her that much ? Gosh I've never seen a love like this. Anyway, the detective I can't ! Like ??? Please can't you just check up the call before arresting people ?! :astonished:

Episode 9 preview (because I'm getting a little addicted here)

Hye Ran is held by the police after her sudden arrest and the news station descends into chaos after being searched and seized. Hye Ran suffers humiliation after Eun Joo's statement to the police. When Tae Wook discovers the external forces that have put Hye Ran under investigation for murder he declares war against the invisible enemies that have locked her away...

Not sure why they need to search the station?? That definitely reeks more of threatening tactics or "broadcast fire" ignited by Hanil Steel

And Misty is apparently the most talked about drama again this week, ahead of weekend primetime drama My Golden Life

16 minutes ago, justamom said:

And Misty is apparently the most talked about drama again this week, ahead of weekend primetime drama My Golden Life

Not surprising. MGL has been dragging and gotten a bit cliche.  Misty is hot steamy passion, betrayal, deceit, unconditional love, and the lead actor is a force of nature .   

8861.png?w=129&h=150

Archived