[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

I just found out the one who played MW is Im Tae Kyung, the prince of musical. He is really respected in musical, theatre and one of the best clasical singer in Korea. I am now start watching Immortal Songs old episodes as recommended by my MIL. No wonder, though he hasn’t say much in the drama, his presence is captivating.

Now, back to the drama. I am not sure what made these men drawn to HR. Yes, she is one of a character and in a way rises the ‘hunting’ spirit of a man to conquer her, but after a while in reality, it can surely turn men off. We respect independency but also there is a need to a certain degree a dependence. I have to say it is such an insult of hearing that our spouse just use us as a means. Though I know TW offered himself but I didn’t believe he seriously meant it. I see what TW feels for HR is not really love but already an obsession.

The other thing, the one that will benefit the crash world of HR is also TW, having his wife facing a difficult situation will bring her closer to him as he can be her knight on shining armour. So, TW is still on my list for now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, heyho5502 said:

I just found out the one who played MW is Im Tae Kyung, the prince of musical. He is really respected in musical, theatre and one of the best clasical singer in Korea. I am now start watching Immortal Songs old episodes as recommended by my MIL. No wonder, though he hasn’t say much in the drama, his presence is captivating.

Now, back to the drama. I am not sure what made these men drawn to HR. Yes, she is one of a character and in a way rises the ‘hunting’ spirit of a man to conquer her, but after a while in reality, it can surely turn men off. We respect independency but also there is a need to a certain degree a dependence. I have to say it is such an insult of hearing that our spouse just use us as a means. Though I know TW offered himself but I didn’t believe he seriously meant it. I see what TW feels for HR is not really love but already an obsession.

The other thing, the one that will benefit the crash world of HR is also TW, having his wife facing a difficult situation will bring her closer to him as he can be her knight on shining armour. So, TW is still on my list for now.

I don't think HR would marry anyone to just use them and be a business card. But I do think she was attracted to the power and influence of his upper class background.   She needed to know he would wait for her, he was a man who would do anything for his woman, devoted to her.   We don't know what the whole story is with KL 10 years back.  She does tell him she was leaving because of his lack of ambition  - but was that the whole story?  It might be, they were just a mismatch in spirit, or there were other things going on.   HR is a dragon, she has force and power and determination. Like a dragon she could jump from the ground and fly straight up to the midheaven of society.   I think men were fascinated by her and her great spirit. But I gotta agree, she's been treating TW like chop liver, and he deserved better. We'll see.

3 hours ago, heyho5502 said:

There are a few reasons why I don't think TW is a suspect. And it's not because he's an amazing husband of late. :D Amazing husbands can kill too if the opportunity arises.

Firstly, in the beginning he thought that HR killed Kevin. He was eyeing HR with suspicion despite all her protestations of innocence. Secondly, to speak to your point of him using this as an opportunity to get closer to HR, he was the one who was maintaining his distance. Aside from the fact that the idea has makjang undertones :wink: , we saw early on that he was the one who distanced himself from HR since the abortion. He had been giving her the silent treatment for years. He already had the divorce agreement written up. It was only when his mother found it in his desk and confronted HR about it, that he began to have a serious change of heart. Thirdly, I suspect that he still has lingering doubts about HR which is why he wanted the case buried completely to protect her on the off chance that something incriminating might truly surface that will be hard to explain away. Fourthly, if he had really killed Kevin, I believe he would have turned himself in already rather than put HR through all the drama and having to kowtow to the Golden Door Club people.

But to me, no one among the leads really feels like a suspect which is one of the reasons why I don't even think Kevin was killed by anyone. Okay, I can see why people suspect Hanile Steel but I don't see how it was in their interest to kill Kevin. Big Business wants his money, not his body.

So, I introduced my Korean tutor to Misty and got her addicted as well :lol: and we did some sleuthing together.

During Kevin's last phone call (that we know of), he says two things.

나야 (It's me, banmal)

그러죠 (Let's do that, jondaemal)

So it's someone close enough to him to call him out at 1am (not Hanil Steel), but not close enough for him to use banmal.

If it was his manager, Kevin would not be using jondaemal. Kevin uses banmal with Hye Ran when it's just the two of them, but jondaemal in front of other people. Possible, but my teacher thinks unlikely because it's not how they speak to each other. Her guess is Han Ji Won! Simply because it's how he's been speaking to her all along. Tae Wook is also possible, but he would likely be more formal.

23 hours ago, mizkorea said:
On 2/26/2018 at 2:42 AM, DJG said:

Hye Ran is not stupid, she’s been shown to be a shrewd and ambitious woman, so why would she do that broadcast, knowing the major storm she would unleash?

Because as per TW's friend,  that ex prosecutor who is now working in the Blue House, Go Hye Ran is crazy and does everything her way.  

TW acknowledged his friend words about his wife  "Crazy who does everything her way"  with an indulgent little smile.  Oh that sweet man.  :wub: 

I think that deep down TW knows that HR loves him.  As he told EJ that he did not treat HR well.  Knowing HR if she did not love him on some level, she would have walked out.  As HR told KL, TW was the first man to love her as she was.  What are HR words...truth and justice.  TW was unkind to her because of her choices, she acknowledges that, but she knows he still loves her.  When he congratulated her on her new position at the Blue House, HR's response was his congratulations meant so much to her.  I hope they find their back to each other soon.  I do not want to wait until the last episode for them to realize their love. 

I don't think that HR should have told EJ about KL; but it is time to tell her husband the back story ... and that she left KL for him, he was her choice.

I love this writer... his/her approach is refreshing.  The script is well written, the actors chosen well and are doing an excellent job and the director is outstanding. I also like the way everyone dress, the clothes are not over the top or frumpy, but classy.    So far, kudos to everyone on this drama, great job.

7 hours ago, justamom said:

So, I introduced my Korean tutor to Misty and got her addicted as well :lol: and we did some sleuthing together.

나야 (It's me, banmal)

So it's someone close enough to him to call him out at 1am (not Hanil Steel), but not close enough for him to use banmal.

If it was his manager, Kevin would not be using jondaemal. Kevin uses banmal with Hye Ran when it's just the two of them, but jondaemal in front of other people. Possible, but my teacher thinks unlikely because it's not how they speak to each other. Her guess is Han Ji Won! Simply because it's how he's been speaking to her all along. Tae Wook is also possible, but he would likely be more formal.

but he says "Let's do that formally" - that is clear, so in that case he would not speak to his manager like that.

Please clarify, does Kevin say "It's me" informally or formally?   You say close enough to call at 1 PM but not close enough to use banmal?   

But as far as his formal "Let's do that" - I would think that points to TW or maybe some other player - the station manager, director - or even Lee Yeon Jung (still suspicious because she didn't go to work the next day) or even assistant Kwak?.   And if he always spoke to HJw formally could be her too.   I think we don't know everything about who Kevin has been be interacting with. And as you point out, meeting at 1 PM -  it would be somebody he is pretty close to or involved with.

9 hours ago, justamom said:

나야 (It's me, banmal)

It seems that the police and prosecution are labouring under the assumption that this person who called Kevin is the last person to see Kevin and that this same person killed him. They're also assuming that Kevin didn't meet anyone else after that or that he could have gone somewhere else after he met this person. There could have been a series of unfortunate events that followed the call that has nothing to do with the person who called.

While we don't know who called Kevin yet, the question I want to ask is that with all the tech that's available these days, couldn't they have pulled up Kevin's call records? Have they? Did I miss something there?

As the great detective once said...

‘It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts’

14 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

While we don't know who called Kevin yet, the question I want to ask is that with all the tech that's available these days, couldn't they have pulled up Kevin's call records? Have they? Did I miss something there?

The investigator has only been investigating Hr and how to "pin" KL's death to her.  He has not questioned or taken any other obvious steps that would even be part of a reasonable accident investigation. He never asked Ej if he was drinking, where was his cellphone? was it returned to Ej, he could easily have asked to see his phone as well.  He could have asked Ej why she lied about not leaving the house, why she met with Hr etc.  Besides asking the manager what he had on Hr, he could and should have asked him whether KL had enemies, or when he last saw him or called him etc.  So many reasonable questions not asked.

Is the writer is just trying to show how prejudiced and incompetent the detective is or does the writer not know what typically goes into an investigation?

I am thinking the writer is telling us- the detective is just out to get Hr, and may be holding a grudge because he feels she got away with murder 19 years before and his hunch about her at the time was ignored, so now he is making up for lost time by pushing for his gut feeling about her, and neglecting to do a competent investigation.

I agree, the last person to call KL may not be the person who killed him (if he was killed) - and there could have been a few people with different motives all interacting with KL right before his death. 

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Please clarify, does Kevin say "It's me" informally or formally?   You say close enough to call at 1 PM but not close enough to use banmal?   

He says “it’s me” informally. Yes, close enough to call him in the middle of the night but not close enough for 100% banmal.

He uses 100% banmal with his manager.

He uses banmal with Han Ji Won when her clothes are off and jondaemal when they’re back on :lol:

If it was Hye Won he wouldn’t have answered “it’s me.” They speak really rudely to each other. Like Hye Won answered when he called with a snappish “Why?”. He’d go “What’s up?”

Probably also too casual if it were Tae Wook.

and I agree with @40somethingahjumma, the last person to call him may not have been the one who killed him.

Can I just say I love the discussion I’m having with you lovely ladies here? I joined Drama Beans to talk about the show (it’s so rare that they feature something I absolutely love) but let’s just say...not everyone can appreciate nuance and subtlety :huh:

Something bothers me.... HR never gave permission for her car to be searched and the black box chip to be removed. Detective Kang was not given the permission to get a warrant to search her car. So when EJ told her that she has the blackbox chip, she did not react in surprise as in "what are you talking about." No one was given any authority to search the car. Also, nowadays the newer model of cars blackbox is expertly hidden and connected to gadgets it is not easy to extract just by anyone, an engineer of the model of the car basically has to be the one to do it. So it is surprising that HR just accepted EJ's revelation. That chip could be from someone's camera as in the manager? HR should be on the phone to her lawyer telling them that her car was searched illegally or she might not want reveal that? But she should because whomever gave that chip to Kevin is the clue. Is HR getting sloppy 

Misty: Episodes 7-8 (Open Thread)

by mary

misty-0708-01.jpg

mary: How is the pantsuit screenshot collection going?

odilettante: I still love Hye-ran’s pantsuits almost as much as life itself (that baby blue one was especially lovely), but I’m now falling in love with her coat collection. Is that cheating on my pantsuit love? Honestly, I think I just want to live in Hye-ran’s closet.

mary: Let’s wait until we can confirm if she’ll still have a closet after this week’s events.

misty0708-02-hyeran-coats.jpg

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/02/misty-episodes-7-8-open-thread/

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

But she should because whomever gave that chip to Kevin is the clue. Is HR getting sloppy 

I think Kevin took the chip when he was in the car with Hr.  He did it when she was distracted. Maybe we will get a flashback .  The detective''s asst checked Hr's car for the chip when she parked outside the precinct before she was questioned  but the chip was already gone = that was an illegal search. But Hr does not know the detective's asst entered her car.  The detective also questioned the car shop where Hr brought her car after the accident, and they were told that the chip was already missing.  The other possibility is that the chip was taken when Hr went to see Ej in the diner. Could be when the car was parked outside someone took it and gave it to Kevin perhaps JHw or his manager.  We do not know where KL went after he left Hr . He doesn't  arrive home until  after Hr drops Ej off, - so he may have met up with someone else in the meantime - maybe Tw , HJw or even his manager. 

What confuses me is that we do not hear the detective discuss KL's car blackbox chip. (unless I missed it). That is a lot more important than Hr's in regard to what happened in KL's car during the accident. I  think it would survive the accident because it is in a "blackbox" for protection.   The detective basically wanted the chip to know where Hr had been that night. The pin was found in KL's car - so he had no way of knowing that KL went into Hr's car and they would be caught making love vows.  

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I think Kevin took the chip when he was in the car with Hr.  He did it when she was distracted.

the question then remains, does she know that the EDR chip, or the black box was taken and that was why she was not surprised?  If she was the one who took it out and that is why she is not surprised, she still would ask what chip EJ was talking about. Is the blackbox easy to just pick up? Is it easy for another person who is not the car owner to recognize or know where the blackbox is without it triggering some kind of an alarm? I am curious.

As for detective Kang,  our writer has exposed his back to the wind and maybe will make him choke on his mustard later? 

9 hours ago, justamom said:

f it was Hye Won he wouldn’t have answered “it’s me.” They speak really rudely to each other. Like Hye Won answered when he called with a snappish “Why?”. He’d go “What’s up?”

Obviously getting Secret Love Affair and Misty mixed up here :lol:

13 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Is the writer is just trying to show how prejudiced and incompetent the detective is or does the writer not know what typically goes into an investigation?

That's certainly a possibility. 

There's a strong "tradition" of K crime dramas that certainly beat on that drum incessantly. It used to be a lot worse when I first started watching :D but now at least we have these lone wolves... cops who are dogged to the enth degree in search of the truth despite intense opposition from all sides.

That said, I don't want to dismiss entirely the possibility of Detective Kang working with the prosecutor only because he wants some kind of investigation done as he's been stonewalled at every turn. He may have some prejudice against GHR but since he hasn't articulated anything, I won't go there yet. Who knows... It could be that he was prejudiced from that time in the interrogation room when she seemed to be evading his questions. 

But if I were to look at it from his point of view... not HR's or mine... I can see why he's eager to pursue the case, no matter how misdirected or misguided. In his mind there are aspects about the case that raise questions in his mind which is more or less confirmed by the ME. His hands are tied because his superior officer doesn't want him to probe further for political reasons without further evidence so he has to go around looking for something that will help make the case for a warrant. But while he's investigating other avenues many roads seem to lead to HR.  What's the brooch doing in Kevin's car? What's her relationship to Kevin? Where's the SD card from her car's black box? They only have her word that it went missing unbeknownst to her. When he's looking for Kevin's manager, he sees HR fronting up on camera in the hospital where the manager's sister is residing. At the funeral, HR seems to be on better terms with EJ than he had been led to believe in the interrogation. There are a lot of things that don't add up... and admittedly, HR hasn't helped her own cause with her lies and half truths. On top of that she receives the protection of some extremely powerful people via TW. So while he has questions, he can't get answers because there are all these roadblocks. If however, he throws his lot in with the prosecutor and gets some political clout, it doesn't matter how flimsy the circumstantial evidence might be at present, at least now, he can investigate a lot more freely. Maybe he believes the warrant that was not forthcoming before, might be more accessible right now.

I don't think there's much of a case as it stands but he gets his foot in the door. Now that she's a suspect, he can have access to places he couldn't before and get what he believes to be a necessary investigation of all the facts. 

8 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Something bothers me.... HR never gave permission for her car to be searched and the black box chip to be removed. Detective Kang was not given the permission to get a warrant to search her car. So when EJ told her that she has the blackbox chip, she did not react in surprise as in "what are you talking about." No one was given any authority to search the car. Also, nowadays the newer model of cars blackbox is expertly hidden and connected to gadgets it is not easy to extract just by anyone, an engineer of the model of the car basically has to be the one to do it. So it is surprising that HR just accepted EJ's revelation. That chip could be from someone's camera as in the manager? HR should be on the phone to her lawyer telling them that her car was searched illegally or she might not want reveal that? But she should because whomever gave that chip to Kevin is the clue. Is HR getting sloppy 

Yes, that thought crossed my mind too. But I just chalked it up to HR being so shocked that she was reeling from the revelation that she lost her wits. At the moment how EJ found out probably didn't matter... she was too embarrassed and even ashamed that EJ saw that. Or she might have naturally assumed that Kevin took it and left it lying around for EJ to see.

It's an interesting point about the missing SD card but I seem to remember seeing a mechanic say... to the detective I think ??... that the SD card was already missing when he went through the car. (Was that HR's car or Kevin's car?)

Gah... I don't really have time to rewatch the early episodes. 

Sorry my brain is all muddled up. We know that HR’s car surveillance chip is missing . I think the mechanic was referring to HR’s car @40somethingahjumma . What about Kevin’s car? What happened to it? Could the chip that EJ has be fr Kevin’s car? Or was it not working? 

——/-——

It’s  quite ironic that  HR’s line of work (& her burning ambition as a young & possibly naive  reporter) is to uncover the truth & bring about transparency. But yet so many details of her life is buried & hidden in the shadows . I love  TW for being husband of the year but why do I feel sorry for him when he has chosen this path ? 

I love how GHR is being styled 

15 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I thought that too. If he looked into the car and made a sweep he might find evidence of females being in the car and it will not be HR.  

Archived