[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

20 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

I think that is because she feels guilty too, for having survived, but also for not remembering/lying about not remembering. Hence the guilt... If she had protected her sister by staying with her or allowing her to follow, then her parents would still be together and she would not be scared that her mother might take her own life, etc. She does not express it as much as KD but I think that is why she is probably more anxious than he is, because she keeps it all inside. I think there might be some more guilt to be developped too, as she got out the rumbles before KD did.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of misplaced guilt on her end too, and it doesn't help that her mom is worse off so she can't even try to move on even though we can see she wants too. Her parents obviously already had problems before the accident, but that's also probably a big part of why her dad had to move out. We can see it in ep 2 too, the way she's hyper aware of how she looks in comparison to KHN's character. MS holds herself back a lot because of her guilt and because of her mom, but I do think she's more straightforward as a character just because she has a better hold on herself, and she's more aware of what her problem is, she feels guilty but she's a little mad too that she doesn't get to move past it (from the birthday cake scene). And she's more proactive, choosing to build models because she doesn't want the same thing to happen again.

KD is definitely more wayward in this sense, although insisting to work on that construction site is probably his own way to make sure that the construction is done right as best as he can. On a whole I think the drama is doing a good job at fleshing out their leads, KD is more mysterious but it's on purpose I guess, since his story is very much about finally overcoming his trauma and regaining a sense of purpose and hope, while MS's is about overcoming HER trauma by letting go of her guilt, and realising that she deserves a life for herself.

Ultimately, I do feel that this drama is about hope and healing, so I'm looking forward to that catharsis in the end.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, carolinedl said:

@aiwa9 - very true. I should become interesting once she lets go a bit...

i think it will be obvious their trades are going to complement each other right? ^^ to get those balances of themselves.

i just noticed kang doo doesn't keep any contact in his phone at all. he didn't even save his sister's number.

maybe he's also afraid things will get hard on her if anything happens to him?

or is it also a sign he just doesn't want to be engaged to anyone. 

I've only seen the first episode, but it's lovely so far. One thing I look for in dramas is good female leads (shrieky and dumb female leads are the #1 reason for me to drop a drama). I've never seen this actress in anything, but I like her in this--she brings a feeling of sanity and believability to her character, and of course she also has the advantage of her character being written well. I feel the same about Junho. I think this story is unfolding well, and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Hi, I am interesting in this show.

Because Leading actor/actress and Story lead me here.
Glad to see comments and thread moving.

I have a question.

I show clip post  in IG and those small clip is not yet air. 
I wonder how they get to watch further episode somewhere?

Spoiler

and

Is production is start in late summer/autumn? 
I saw OTP wearing cloth like early autumn season but not seem like winter weather.

So, I've seen the first 2 episodes subbed, and I'm really enjoying the drama so far. I like the 2 main leads and I'm looking forward to their relationship development. I also like the setting of the drama-the seaside town is very pretty, and Moon Soo and Kang Do both seem to enjoy the water views, so perhaps water will play an element in the story somehow. The show has a bit of a Dickensian feel to me in that we have a cast of characters who are from all classes-the very rich, the middle class, the poor, everyone struggling to make it. Kang Do's world-the run down, seedy neighborhood and the quirky characters who inhabit it- His landlady & her son, the club owner, the medicine lady feel especially like something out of a Dickens novel. 

I'm still a bit confused as to why Kang Do is not living at home with his sister? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to be living there so he could help his sister pay the monthly rent on their family home instead of living separately with 2 rents to pay? Two can live together more cheaply than one, so I'm not sure why he has moved out. 

I'm disappointed that we seem to be moving toward a love triangle/love square situation with the 4 leads as I was hoping for 2 separate lovelines. Maybe since the 2nd leads were a couple in the past, they will get back together later on. I hope so since the 2nd female lead clearly still has feelings for him. 

@piekeboeboe the clip is an official clip released by the production. And the filming starts around september, which is early autumn.

Here’s junho’s tweet when they’re about to start filming i think.. i remember he’s going back and forth between seoul for his solo album promotion and busan to film this drama during that month.. 

2 hours ago, blademan said:

So I have a question. Why are there 2 scenarios as to how the incident occurred? The first one we saw was that she was facing her sister when it happened but the other one she was looking at a one-way glass?? 

I think the one where she's facing her sister is just a dream, to signify MS's guilt at leaving her behind. It wouldn't make sense for the kid to still be smiling and waving when everything was clearly falling apart around them.

1 hour ago, Table122000 said:

I'm still a bit confused as to why Kang Do is not living at home with his sister? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to be living there so he could help his sister pay the monthly rent on their family home instead of living separately with 2 rents to pay? Two can live together more cheaply than one, so I'm not sure why he has moved out. 

I'm disappointed that we seem to be moving toward a love triangle/love square situation with the 4 leads as I was hoping for 2 separate lovelines. Maybe since the 2nd leads were a couple in the past, they will get back together later on. I hope so since the 2nd female lead clearly still has feelings for him. 

I'm not sure if part of the loans they had to take up for their mother's medical expenses included borrowing from loan sharks, but that could be one reason why he chose to stay away. But also, I think KD thinks of himself as a hassle in her life, and he prefers to stay away and try to take care of her from afar, possibly because he doesn't want her to worry about him in an 'out of sight, out of mind' kind of way. 

I'm also hoping this love square thing won't be a main plot point, tbh as of now JW and YJ are still such stereotypical second lead tropes that their scenes feel out of place next to MS and KD's quieter moments. Hoping there's more to their characters, but also my main interest is still mainly on the leads and the existing people in their lives.

4 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

Does anyone know where I can watch/maybe download completely subbed? KissAsian didn't upload the show completely subbed. Did Netflix happen to also license the series other than Viki?

Viki replaced the episode 1 with the longer aired version. 

So just finished watching the subs. I like this drama! I like the acting. I like Won Jin Ah's big strong voice. I also like the touch of reality. If you noticed, since our leads not the rich kind, they use  the old school  for the masses cellphones. I also like the production and camera work and cinematography as it goes well with the scenes.

As mentioned nth times ( if you back read) been anticipating the drama the raw  1 hr 23 mins.  I already posted my  thoughts (pg 7) after watching the raw but  just adding stuff here as I watched this again but with sub. Ep 1 introduced  viewers to the main characters. Lee Gang Doo, Moon Soo, Seo Joo Won. Our leads encountered the same tragedy on that very same day. But they don't know this yet. I'm not sure if someone posted theory, young MS might be meeting young LGD. But could be. This tragedy is the one that ties them and will have a connected to their fated comfort and healing.  The tragedy that struck them left them scarred ( for  LGD we see the scars from his legs) physically, mentally and emotionally. It's been traumatic for them. They mirror each others fears and emotions and feelings of helplessness yet they're strong from the outside but a wreck inside.

MS cannot remember what exactly happened she's having dreams of the events that time. She has remained strong and steadfast but  we see the  toll it's taken out of her.  While GD,  phe's put on brave front. He's having dreams but clearly remember what happened., we also see the toll  it's out of him. He has to take pain killers.

Both of them don't like closed spaces. I guess they're claustrophobic.  w/c relates to trauma they've experienced when the bldg collapsed. Like said previously, both of them used flight of stairs coming up and down 16 floors.

KD  has the streets smart ways of dealing with everyone. But he also has the protective instinct. MS is smart too in the way that he won't let SJW build  something that has flaws. She's doing the model structures for the company's project. Because she saw some flaws,  JW must've been impressed with her.

Like I mentioned, he saved her, she saved him. They're going to be each other's comfort.

2 hours ago, aiwa9 said:

@piekeboeboe the clip is an official clip released by the production. And the filming starts around september, which is early autumn.

Here’s junho’s tweet when they’re about to start filming i think.. i remember he’s going back and forth between seoul for his solo album promotion and busan to film this drama during that month.. 

@aiwa9  Thank you very much.
I just to rush to ask by not back reading yet.
I feeling good about this show and I enjoy watch OTP.

The disaster happened 2005. At present,  the construction they're doing is for new building Bio Town complex where the mall used to be. GD  got interested that's why he asked to get a construction job there.  MS  hearing from co workers about the ground breaking ceremony  and commemoration on the site. Of course she knows about the place.  she wanted to be sure so she took the case study of SJ for the location.

GD and MS both have the same hurt and  anger.  GD out there in the open whilst  MS deep inside. They both put on strong front but they're both  suffering from the disaster that struck the affected how they are  at present. 

"Commemorate what?" said MS in an anguished hurt voice. While we saw scene of  GD smashing the memorial marker for victims.

Both of them have the same thoughts and feelings. KD destroying the marker remembering the victims. tearing it down to pieces. at the same time, MS breaking down the model figure of the mall.  I'm assuming that she built that to investigate, perhaps?

When Gang Doo  said, she looked familiar and have seen her somewhere before. I'm thinking he must have remembered her  that year   when they were in the mall.  And yep, he indeed saw her.  Passing by outside with her younger sister.

I'm a bit confused with SJ and his mother arc.  His mother reduced as maid for JW's father. I'll finished Ep 2 first.

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Just Lovers" Episode 2

2017/12/12 

photo919704.jpg

Director Kim Jin-won-I has this fantastic talent for creating dramatic tension in flashbacks where, logically, there should not be any dramatic tension. We know what happened in the accident and that appearances to the contrary, it did not kill either Kang-doo or Moon-soo. Of course, they know that too. They can probably tell when they're dreaming, too. That doesn't make the trauma of those memories any less real - especially not the feeling that they caused the tragedy, somehow.

Moon-soo is profiled in fuller perspective here as far as that goes. We saw what happened immediately post-rescue, and the whole scene is brutal. Moon-soo's mom Yoon-ok (played by Yoon Yoo-sun) completely melts down. Her dad Dong-cheol (played by Ahn Nae-sang) tries his best to keep everything together, but there's only so much he can do. We can see the past versions of these character well-reflected in the present day, with Yoon-ok becoming ever so gradually more unhinged while Dong-cheol sinks into further detachment.

Review by William Schwartz

Read full review:  https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-just-lovers-episode-2-113276.html

Source: Hancinema

20 hours ago, turtleaxis said:

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of misplaced guilt on her end too, and it doesn't help that her mom is worse off so she can't even try to move on even though we can see she wants too. Her parents obviously already had problems before the accident, but that's also probably a big part of why her dad had to move out. We can see it in ep 2 too, the way she's hyper aware of how she looks in comparison to KHN's character. MS holds herself back a lot because of her guilt and because of her mom, but I do think she's more straightforward as a character just because she has a better hold on herself, and she's more aware of what her problem is, she feels guilty but she's a little mad too that she doesn't get to move past it (from the birthday cake scene). And she's more proactive, choosing to build models because she doesn't want the same thing to happen again.

KD is definitely more wayward in this sense, although insisting to work on that construction site is probably his own way to make sure that the construction is done right as best as he can. On a whole I think the drama is doing a good job at fleshing out their leads, KD is more mysterious but it's on purpose I guess, since his story is very much about finally overcoming his trauma and regaining a sense of purpose and hope, while MS's is about overcoming HER trauma by letting go of her guilt, and realising that she deserves a life for herself.

Ultimately, I do feel that this drama is about hope and healing, so I'm looking forward to that catharsis in the end.

I agree with you, but I also think that there is more to her, a hidden part we have not yet seen. No? I am also curious as to what KD said at the end of episode 2: when face with death, you only come to care about your survival. Is he refering to himself or to her? I think they obviously talked/connected while being in the rumbles, what happened there for him not to trust anyone? In that sense, I think both have some things unsaid and they seem to be connected to each other. Also, the trust-no-one, also shown by he does not have any contact in h old phone like @aiwa9 pointed out, is probably tied to what happened in the rumbles too. I cannot help but feel sthg happened there, sthg not so pretty... I hope I am wrong though...

But, yes, I agree, this drama is, or at least I hope it is about healing.

I watched that long naver clip and man I am dying to see some of the scenes we see there! Obviously, they are going to recognize each other. I cannot wait!

@jongski! My fellow "Memory" lover :) (Ah, you also notice how great her voice is!)

From what I understood, SJ's mother married JW's father after her husband committed suicide because he was held responsible for the collapse. I think he was probably the scapegoat: JW's father probably tried to protect his richard simmons by blaming it all on SJ's father. After his suicide, his wife married JW's father not because she loved him (she says she does not) but because she wanted to protect her son and assure that he'll have a nice future, not be attached to a man responsible for a mall to collapse, etc.

8 hours ago, jongski said:

When Gang Doo  said, she looked familiar and have seen her somewhere before. I'm thinking he must have remembered her  that year   when they were in the mall.  And yep, he indeed saw her.  Passing by outside with her younger sister.

I think he said that because they did bump into each other at the stairs earlier on that same day. The mall incident seems too long ago.. idk.. just my opinion..

I so much wanna watch and enjoy this drama but the sites I saw the subbed ones were as good as useless. Tried drama —— but the acting and translated dialogue  were not in sync. So very confusing at first that I had to repeat episode 1 like 3 times before I knew what was wrong so I stopped watching. I so much anticipated this drama but I pray the problem will be corrected in subsequent episodes so I can enjoy it like others. Viki don't work were I am

I absolutely loved the first two episodes. It's beautifully shot and the acting is just perfect. Junho is simply a great young actor, no "idol" label needed. Won jin ah is a pleasant surprise and gives me young soo ae vibes. Really terrific for her first lead role, and very new. I hope the ratings go up. 

Archived