[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, jongski said:

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Just Lovers" Episode 3

Joo-won (played by Lee Ki-woo) is the manager for operations on the big construction job that Moon-soo and Kang-doo are attached to. He's also the second male lead alternative love interest for Moon-soo. His role there is somewhat ambiguous. While Joo-won is painstakingly nice, and compassionate about any problems affecting Moon-soo directly, he never does anything especially constructive (hoho) about the foundational issues of the project. This has always been the case whether the issue has been shady financial backing or cutting corners on workplace safety.

In short, Joo-won is the nice boss who is just nice enough that he keeps Moon-soo from noticing how incredibly predatory the overall project actually is, even if it does eventually produce something of value. Joo-won is yet another great capitalism metaphor in a drama that already has several. I like how creepy it is that "Just Lovers" keeps showing us how easily preventable bad things can happen without anyone expressing direct malice.

Joo-won is the poster boy for the philosophy of decorum- that everything will be OK as long as everyone acts nice to each other.

That is a really interesting character analysis. I just watched the episode with subs and wondered about the discrepancy between He's desire to make sure the site is safe and his weird inability to decide what to do when MS tells him there should not be as much water as there is... I like the emphasis on decorum above - that also characterizes his relationship with his now step-sister: he does not want to be with her but one of the reasons is their inability to tell about their relationship because his mother married her father. What is the point of starting sthg we can't tell others about he asks her. It made me feel a bit weird: I see his point but is that what the most important thing is? Or is it just an excuse he is giving her? Moreover, his inability to answer back to the Director is in sharp contrast with DG's little 'attacks. Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing more about him.

I don't think DG's sister is MS's. It was her birthday when the mall collapsed and I gathered she was home waiting for her father and brother to come back. So, she was still alive. Either DG has 2 sisters (one which we have seen and another who is somewhere else) or It's just not MS's sister... perhaps they met at the hospital back then, after the mall's collapse like @Mau_Cherry suggested? Or at the funeral home (which is usually in the hospital) since they both lost a family member? 

2 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

1. It is a possibility that the Father lied - but I don´t think so and I don´t know why he should do that.

2. We know GD was on the Site to buy a Present for his Sister.

3. Yes - on some time MS met GDs Sister - and it seems like that happend before MS lost her Memory. On the other Side - maybe she just don´t recognize her. Maybe she saw her in the Hospital. MS could even have been in the same Hospital as GD - she dind´t remember anyway. I wonder about there shared History too.

father said no that face was totally disfigured

3 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

But don't they run DNA tests or sthg in such catastrophes? Like who would they know to ask for identification if the face was unrecognizable? Procedures make to difficult for such mistakes to happen in these types of events...

11 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

I know what he said - and I believe in his words now - but on the other side I know too well that in KD World we need to see a corpse to believe the Person really is dead. But I hope they will not take this way.

Sometimes its better to haven an end - not endless pain - that can be a reason for the father to lie - but I still hope it is not.

6 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

But don't they run DNA tests or sthg in such catastrophes? Like who would they know to ask for identification if the face was unrecognizable? Procedures make to difficult for such mistakes to happen in these types of events...

Not sure - in real I guess they only do DNA Test when they can´t be sure. But Father came and identified her. I can´t clearly remember what he said - I remember him saying Mother should not see her in that state. I admit I rewatched more the scenes with GD and MS or both. :D

45 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

nah.. haven;t you seen in mass catastrophes ..

as long as family confirms.. that's it.. based on belonging, ids whatever.. 

but whatever.. i m quite sure that the girl who is doc is the younger sis

16 hours ago, ziarama said:

I was too quick to dismiss the possibility of the sister not being dead but rather "adopted" by the hero.

Come episode 3 and I think you're right. Oooh please teach me, oh wise one!:astonished:

he he he he... i hope i am not wrong..that would be anticlimatic :tongue:

but the hunch is strong on this one

Jumping on in this wagon too. Hiya folks! B)
I'm hooked the moment I watched Ep 1. And I think I'm going to regret this since it'll be long agonizing weeks ahead - all the waiting and anticipation. :(
How many eps this going to be?

I love GD and MS's characters. I'm a sucker for underdogs who, underneath all the surface, are secretly or unknowingly strong, dependable, and righteous. GD and MS are exactly those people, and they are connected way more than just their past, they are both so similar - their personalities, their perseverance, and their outlook on life. I can't wait for them to get to know each other better and bond deeper. It's fate brought them together in the past and it's fate again brought them back in the present. 

It's also interesting that both of them have 'disable' close friend. GD with SM and MS with WJ. Is it to highlight GD and MS's characters in an even better light? That despite all their pain and suffering, they are kind to those who are less perfect? Or is to add the melo in the melodrama?

It's such an underrated drama, I wonder why aren't people creating more noise about it. :o

3 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I don't think DG's sister is MS's. It was her birthday when the mall collapsed and I gathered she was home waiting for her father and brother to come back. So, she was still alive. Either DG has 2 sisters (one which we have seen and another who is somewhere else) or It's just not MS's sister... perhaps they met at the hospital back then, after the mall's collapse like @Mau_Cherry suggested? Or at the funeral home (which is usually in the hospital) since they both lost a family member? 

I don't think so either, I haven't had a chance to watch 3 yet, but have to say after watching the first 2 episodes that it seems to stay w/me in a good way @Mau_Cherry Thanks for the recap. I'll be back after I run some errands, I'm tempted to watch it now but then nothing will get done. 

@jongski @Mau_Cherry @penelop3 Okay, first real comment on this thread.:) I started watching this drama yesterday because of @Mau_Cherry and @carolinedl, since we have a similar taste.

Now, I would like to talk about the reason of the collapse. Seo Joo Won believes that something must have happened during the construction (bad work aso) that's why he wants to make sure that this time, nothing happens and that way, he wants to prove that his father was not responsible.

I have the feeling that the building collapsed not because of the bad construction and mistakes from the engineer but because of the nature of the soil. HSM noticed that there is a lot of water in the underground..., even after one year of drought. This leads me to believe that no huge building should be constructed on this side as the soil is not stable enough or special measures should be taken. Let just say... what if the land owner (Jung Yeo Taek or his father) bought the land unaware of its nature. Once they decided to build that mall, they got warned that this would not be possible. But since they had wasted their money on that side, they decided to ignore the warning and bribed the commission... and didn't inform the architect. Since SJW's father became the scapegoat, JYT doesn't feel responsible for the tragedy and he even believes that it was the engineer's fault.

About destroying the memorial: I can understand Lee GD because it only mentions the deceased, whereas there were a lot of injured and traumatized people. The words underline that they are overlooking the lives they changed and even destroyed by this accident. Moreover, the number 48 is really bothering... sure the names of the deceased are written but it is so anonymous. Not only these people lost their life but their families were all affected. LGD lost his father, mother and his career. So not just 48 people died, but much more lives were destroyed by this event.

4 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I don't know about DNA tests but they often check dental records to identify bodies that are disfigured or otherwise can't be identified when a disaster happens. You often see on the news that police/authorities are waiting for dental records before talking to the family members, because they don't want to make a mistake on identities. 

5 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I don't think so either. I get why some think it might be so, but I would be super disappointed in the show if they went that route. What I love about it is how grounded and realistic it is. DG's sister being MS's makes zero sense IMO and would throw the realism right out the window. 

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@jongski @Mau_Cherry @penelop3 Okay, first real comment on this thread.:) I started watching this drama yesterday because of @Mau_Cherry and @carolinedl, since we have a similar taste.

Now, I would like to talk about the reason of the collapse. Seo Joo Won believes that something must have happened during the construction (bad work aso) that's why he wants to make sure that this time, nothing happens and that way, he wants to prove that his father was not responsible.

I have the feeling that the building collapsed not because of the bad construction and mistakes from the engineer but because of the nature of the soil. HSM noticed that there is a lot of water in the underground..., even after one year of drought. This leads me to believe that no huge building should be constructed on this side as the soil is not stable enough or special measures should be taken. Let just say... what if the land owner (Jung Yeo Taek or his father) bought the land unaware of its nature. Once they decided to build that mall, they got warned that this would not be possible. But since they had wasted their money on that side, they decided to ignore the warning and bribed the commission... and didn't inform the architect. Since SJW's father became the scapegoat, JYT doesn't feel responsible for the tragedy and he even believes that it was the engineer's fault.

About destroying the memorial: I can understand Lee GD because it only mentions the deceased, whereas there were a lot of injured and traumatized people. The words underline that they are overlooking the lives they changed and even destroyed by this accident. Moreover, the number 48 is really bothering... sure the names of the deceased are written but it is so anonymous. Not only these people lost their life but their families were all affected. LGD lost his father, mother and his career. So not just 48 people died, but much more lives were destroyed by this event.

Same here -  but in the end - if the ground is not good / stable enough - they had to check it before.

In todays Episode Joo Won looked at a few plans. I need to find out if this where MS Plans (dirty because she lost them in the rain) or maybe the old Blueprints from his Father. My Feeling is that JWS Dad had warned the Landowner but it was just his concern and the People with Money where not listening. So in the end - when everything collapsed JWs Dad might really felt guilty because he should have warned them more - or had to do something. JW was already a young man - old enough to work on the side - he might know more about that. I don´t think it goes as far as bribing some high instances.

If the Engenieer still feel to need to check like this it would explain too why he was on the site and even did not let GDs Father go. He felt the need to check it again.

If the Warning from the Engenieer where ignored - and therefore he took the blame - I can see how this Deal worked out. Noone is happy with it anyway.

If the old Blueprints where from JWs Dad - seeing the Blueprints from MS might remember him on the Fathers work who maded a lot of notices too.

For the Memorial Stone - Can´t say it better!

Thats how it is for GD and MS

on the other Side it JW.

His Father died to cover what happend. I feel like for him it is really importend that people don´t forget. He don´t want to cover anything. He was the one who fought to get that memorial - his so called Brother CEO Jung was against it - like it is a waste of Money. I think both Sides /GD / MS - JW) have strong points. Extremly now when JW have to build a new mall - noone can forget what happend so they have to work as good as possible and check everything again and again.

However

I am happy to have you here. Hope you love my new found Gem like I do!

48 minutes ago, qynn said:

I don't think so either. I get why some think it might be so, but I would be super disappointed in the show if they went that route. What I love about it is how grounded and realistic it is. DG's sister being MS's makes zero sense and would throw the realism right out the window. 

I can't say I wouldn't be be disappointed as well,  if the writer and director went there with their story. But from ep.3, I started having my doubt. That there is a possibility that @enigmatic_zephy  theory could be right...And speculating is so much fun:D

This continues to be such a beautiful, beautiful drama. The cinematography, the soundtrack, the writing, the acting...ahh! I checked it out on the recommendation of an actress I love, but ended up staying because the drama really hooked me. I watched ep 3 at only 48% sub yesterday, and I could have waited for the rest of it, but--nah. :) I could get what was happening from the context, and I was kinda thrilled to realize I understood some of the actual dialogue, too. (Have been studying Korean on my own for about a year. It's not enough, but better than nothing.)

Anyway, I love the lead actress. She just brings gravity and reality to the whole thing. And I don't care what else Junho is famous for, he is totally nailing the acting in this. Ohhhh! And my favorite child actor Nam Da Reum is in it, too! (The kid is FIFTEEN. And he's already been in 2 movies and at least 25 dramas.)

WOW - today was a bit difficult to understand what was going on all the time. Extremly with the laggs. Yesterday I was even able to guess conversations (and I was right - I can´t believe my feeling / guess about the Bathhouse Scene was right) Sorry... back to the topic.

The Witch is out now. Jung Yoo Jin was activ in the first half of the Drama today. And I didn´t liked her in one single Scene. I need to know what she found out today. She even stopped her car and looked shocked. Maybe she know now who GD is - the son from one of the worker.

Gosh - I loved the Rooftop Scenes. And I feel sorry for GD. He knows - and he falls for her. And he needs to hold back. THis is driving him insane - as he said. :)

A lot happend today I first need to see again (without lags - than with subs). Evil Ceo called GD in - why (have an idea...)

Clear for me is  - JW knows now too - he saw the list of the names for the victims. It is MS and GDs Job right now to order an new Memorial Stone.  48 Names - and one is related to MS - he reminds how she reacted in a few scenes and put one and one togehter. And I think he saw the name related to GD too.

Please - don´t let MS Friend really fall for GD - one Triangle is enough.

MS and JW - honestly - they could became a nice pair. They share a lot. She found someone who understood and likes her work - her affort. And yes - even with her fears - he in caring and understanding. JW is a great man. MS would never look out only for Money. She - yes - could make him a happy man. But - can JW makes MS a happy woman. She Her way to hide her pain. Always smiling and saying its okay. He knows - he told her directly that he found out. But can she change because of that. Maybe - when time comes. Without GD  - I could believe in them.

MS and GD - on the first view - they have not so many in commen. She likes the spiecy food - he likes only sweets. He shows his temper - she will bow and say I´m sorry - or I´m fine.

She works and tries to life upright as possible.

He - oh we know how he is.

But on the second view.... they both use the stairs - they both don´t like stuffed rooms. They both suffer with nighmares. Different kinds - GD remember everything and have to deal with it - MS forgot everything and still have to deal with it.

From the first Moment on - something pulled GD to MS. The Girl behind the Glass.

I still loved that she find found him to appologize. He helped her a lot - and she never said something. She even misunderstood him.

But he already in her mind. When he got angry instead of her. What he had said. How  he reached out his hand to her.

Todays Ending Scene - GD is on the construction side. They prepared Dynomite. That again - triggered a memory.  He heard someone talking and he was unable to move - like someone grapped his leg. We see the Arm in white sleeves grapping young GDs beeding leg and I got a very uneasy feeling about that. Like he was pulled down. Was there someone else who did not helped - but... i really need to rewatch this.

GD need to get help to snatch out of his Daydream - and someone pulled him from the side. He went to the little Office and sufferd a lot when the explosion start. Tried to cover his ears. I could feel him - I wished to hug him - I so wished for MS to come to the site.

But she was in the work office - fall asleap on her Desk. JW found her - a thunder shocked even me (gosh!) and MS is awake. She see the rain - remembers something GD said. And needed to go. Poor JW - somehow - but I was so happy and hopeful she will run to GD.

GD is on Nightshift and he checked the construction site again. And something will coming. We see little stones falling... like one place will collapse again.

It will be a huge shock if GD fell again for him - but I guess that will follow - but I hope and guess too - that MS this time will come to rescue him.

Like she  - as I guessed - promised him back than.

We will find that out next week - and I hate to wait one week!!!! One part of me wished I would just found out later - I promise I would watch all Episodes on one Day and one Night.

13 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

This continues to be such a beautiful, beautiful drama. The cinematography, the soundtrack, the writing, the acting...ahh! I checked it out on the recommendation of an actress I love, but ended up staying because the drama really hooked me. I watched ep 3 at only 48% sub yesterday, and I could have waited for the rest of it, but--nah. :) I could get what was happening from the context, and I was kinda thrilled to realize I understood some of the actual dialogue, too. (Have been studying Korean on my own for about a year. It's not enough, but better than nothing.)

Anyway, I love the lead actress. She just brings gravity and reality to the whole thing. And I don't care what else Junho is famous for, he is totally nailing the acting in this. Ohhhh! And my favorite child actor Nam Da Reum is in it, too! (The kid is FIFTEEN. And he's already been in 2 movies and at least 25 dramas.)

Oho... you did a mistake - now we will ask you a lot! :D

I only know a few words learned by watching but you can really help.

Sorry to put pressure on you. :tongue:

Yes - it is such a beautiful Drama - today again. Can I please have a Poster from the Rooftop Scene? sob...

13 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Actually, he was the other reason why I started watching it. I discovered Junho in Chief Kim and he was so incredible there that people wanted him to get the female main lead which kind of happened. Soon after this drama, he was proposed this role as main lead. Junho impressed me back then and I am not disappointed with his acting again.  

4 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Actually, he was the other reason why I started watching it. I discovered Junho in Chief Kim and he was so incredible there that people wanted him to get the female main lead which kind of happened. Soon after this drama, he was proposed this role as main lead. Junho impressed me back then and I am not disappointed with his acting again.  

I knew him only from the Movie Cold Eyes before - and I remember he left a very good impression for me back than.

I love what @frozentundrasaid - I wish other could just watch a Drama with an Idol giving them a chance to see if he or she can act. I don´t see the Member of a Boy Band here. I see an Actor - a wonderful Actor to made it clear.

I - for some reason - missed Chief Kim. I tried to watch it now because some people here wrote too that he was so wonderful in CK. But honestly - I can´t watch it now. Need to check it out later. Right now he is Gang Doo for me - and I so love this Role. Like someone else created the character I was waiting for (i tend to use those kind of leads in my story).

Can´t see Joon Ho as the other Guy now - sooo different.

Archived