[Drama 2017] Black 블랙

larus

Oh I am unfortunately late. I just got back from monkey duties and wasn't able to watch the raw earlier.

So apparently I feel I'm the only one who did not understood the episode 1 even though I watched LS and raw.  I can only understand English so was hard for me to know what's going on.  I will not try and attempt to even recap anymore. it was a recrap Sorry everyone  :)

I'm going to wait for the sub? Is it out already? I'll wait for the sub of Ep 2 as well.

The ending for episode 1. I'm curious why.  And then Since female lead can forsee death, did she try to warn them? Do something to stop whatever disaster is coming to the supposed victims?

@nateko Thanks. I read your post.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone. Nice to see some familiar names around here. May I join?

I really fell into a drama slump during the last few months but I was really looking forward to check this one out. And the first episode was compelling enough and with the same potential I felt with MxM - it drew me in immediately. I was not really expecting SSH's detective character to be so adorable and beta-male, but I really liked him that way, so I'm really curious how I'm going to warm up with SSH's alpha-male reaper character. But I know I will come around as it has been exactly this premise that put the show onto my radar so many months ago. I also loved GA's character. While she feels burdened by her special gift and tries to block it out to have the chance for a normal life, she's not weak at all. I'm also intrigued by how all the main charcters are seemingly tied with each other through what happened 20 years ago. Nothing seems to be the way it loks like on the first glance.

So I'm really looking forward to watch the second episode as soon as the subs are out. I'm not sure whether I will find the time for joining the livestream and raw cycle as real life keeps me busy right now, so maybe I'm always going to be late with my comments. Sorry for that in advance. But this show could be what I need to get me out of my drama slump.

There is one aspect of this drama that I don't like and I truly hope it stops in future episodes because it's undermining the seriousness of it for me. There is an element of immature, childish, school yard humor/antics. It's classified as Romance, Thriller, Fantasy, and Crime. I don't recalling anywhere that it's also Comedy--slapstick at that.

- MG throwing up and then the guy comes behind him and pick up chucks of his vomit with his fingers.

- MG's partner brushing his teeth then then hitting MG over the head with her toothbrush full of foamed toothpaste. Then, although he has a towel around his neck, he uses MG's shirt to wipe the toothpaste from his mouth.

- We had the digging up the nose for little treasures

- Then we have the raw bloody liver, the tongue, the intestines, the "eyeball", etc. and, of course, throw up again.

- Ep 2 we have the reappearance of toothpaste foam mouth--this time it's HR

- We have the urine on hands that are then wiped on MG/Black's jacket. After that, all I could see was pee hands because no on washed their hands. Later the later with the food cart touching Black's pee hands when she gave him money. 

- Of course, we got to have MG walking around in the hospital gown with no underwear on as he opens legs wide to display his manhood. He's a reaper--previously a man (he knows the proper decorum).

- Then we have MG undoing his coat to flash his naked manhood to school girls.

- Then we have MG in his newly acquired coat, boldly flashing his nudeness to the police office.  Question: Why does he even bother with a coat? What is he trying to cover up? It can't be his private area.

- Then we have MG/Black at the crime scene pulling innards out of the body of a dead woman

- Then we have food being brought to the crime scene and he's eating with gusto in front of the bloody body. He is surprised by something said by his co-worker and he spits out a piece of meat that hits the guy in the face the skids across the bloody floor and he goes and picks it up and eats it.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I look forward to seeing the episodes with subs to have a better understanding of the plot.

Today I finished Criminal Minds  and after that I watched Black (Thank God that I found subtitles) and I saw the actor Kim Won Hae  in both shows (in one he played a psychopathic killer named Reaper, and later he is a cop who will work with a real Reaper) :lol:

I did not watched the second episode but I saw a few scene. I laughed when Black came to the scene and his colleagues  prepared a bag for Moo Bang and then they needed it themselves. :lol: But they exagerated a little the scene. Why they show Black eating at the scene?  Maybe I did not undertand the scene properly.

38 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

Of course, we got to have MG walking around in the hospital gown with no underwear on as he opens legs wide to display his manhood. He's a reaper--previously a man (he knows the proper decorum).

What?   :blink:

I agree with you that they have to tone down a little the shenanigans. I laughed when he throw up on gangsters and I thought that this scene will provoke me nausea because I`ve just finished eating a cookie just seconds from that scene. I was happy that I was allright. :wink: And I just tolerate hardly the scene with the toothpaste foam mouth. I am alright with the funny scenes in dark dramas but those scenes have to be chosen carefullly.  From what you said about episode 2 it seems that they won`t stop. Let see how things progress. Hope they make funny scenes more subtle.

I am curious about Oh Man-Soo (Kim Dong Joon). In first episode, I could not read him very well. I saw that he will meet Ha ram in episode 2. He saw her at the police station in the first episode and I think he found her intriguing.

What he will do about Royal Insurance now that he is aware that he will get a sinking boat?

@Lady_Fay welcome here and join the fun , and yeh everyone seem connected to what happen 20 years ago we going to see that in the future and find out what the secret that everyone try to hide or find and who is the really bad and good in this drama . i like go ara characters too , she not weak but either she lonely, sad and had a lot of pain in her life but she still trying to live and go through all that after her father die and we saw what kind of family she has to live with and what kind of life she has to face  but she still trying to keep living and i think her OPPA was the reason she was still trying after all she had hope as long as she know that there someone out there who love and accept her as she is even f he was away from her, we saw how much she had courage after stranger man tell her to have faith in her ability and offer to help her and how she was happy known latter that he the same OPPA she miss so much

so i kind feel bad for her now she has to face the fact that he death and the grim reaper living in his body  and can't wait

to see more from her character

36 minutes ago, larus said:

I did not watched the second episode but I saw a few scene. I laughed when Black came to the scene and his colleagues  prepared a bag for Moo Bang and then they needed it themselves. :lol: But they exagerated a little the scene. Why they show Black eating at the scene. Maybe I did not undertand the scene properly.

that was funny for sure but who can blame them he has history of destroying death body :joy:

about that scene they was shock he was eating infront of death body let leave out the fact that the man that wasn't able to eat the all the day after seeing death body now eating in front of it , but the fact that even normal and strong detective find it difficult to eat in front of body and not any body it was body that was cut bady  he touch body part with his bare hand and after he drop food on the blood of the victim and he just pick it up and eat it with blood:scream: that was normal if the were acting like this seeing him

1 hour ago, larus said:

I am curious about Oh Man-Soo (Kim Dong Joon). In first episode, I could not read him very well. I saw that he will meet Ha ram in episode 2. He saw her at the police station in the first episode and I think he found her intriguing.

What he will do about Royal Insurance now that he is aware that he will get a sinking boat?

@larus What I'm really curious about, and you listed one of them, is:

- Which man is Ha Ram really going to be in love with, the reaper who is possessing MG's body or MG himself? The synopsis said the the grim reaper/Black entered a human's body and fell in love with Ha Ram. Or will MG's body be returned to him?

- What's up with MG and why was someone trying to kill him? I always thought his weak stomach was an act he put on to fool the detectives. That was confirmed when he went home and was able to eat with no problem for Dr wife/girlfriend/??.  Is he pay--his hidden room is very high-tech.

-  Also, what's up with the doctor?  I think she has some other secrets going on too.

I'm sure more questions will arise as this drama continues.

3 hours ago, lclarakl said:
5 hours ago, larus said:

@larus What I'm really curious about, and you listed one of them, is:

- Which man is Ha Ram really going to be in love with, the reaper who is possessing MG's body or MG himself? The synopsis said the the grim reaper/Black entered a human's body and fell in love with Ha Ram. Or will MG's body be returned to him?

- What's up with MG and why was someone trying to kill him? I always thought his weak stomach was an act he put on to fool the detectives. That was confirmed when he went home and was able to eat with no problem for Dr wife/girlfriend/??.  Is he pay--his hidden room is very high-tech.

-  Also, what's up with the doctor?  I think she has some other secrets going on too.

I'm sure more questions will arise as this drama continues

i thoughs ep 2 will make me understand a little about the grim reaper , MG , doctor or the connected between all of them , sure i want to know about  Oh Man-Soo  but to be honest not so much now thinking about him with all this mystery in the other charecters 

but what i get nothing i still don't know so much no even more i am more in the dark now  :

Spoiler
  • MG what his big secret ? he searching for what ? why he was acting two faces? why the sweet boy from HR childhood didn't reply her letters ? what really happened to him after he leave HR in the past ?What with that secret room ? why everyone around him beside his mother seemed to me hidden something from him and not really and in pure way  love him?  why his mother look like she did something big to keep him a live what was wrong with him ?? what was that Medication that his mom send him ? is he sick ? if really sick why the doctor didn't say that when he was explain that everythings is fine !!!!! why so pro killer after him ?
  • the doctor she change her ID , maybe has hand with the man/women who was killed years ago and they found her body now !!!!! she care about MG but she want to keep her secret more  ,after all it the secret that will destroy everything even MG love for her , i feel pity for her before the drama start and at first but now i think she going to make me lose that feeling in the future if she keep hidden everything and if she keep force her way in MG life using his mother trust and the fact that he lost his memory but i will keep watching to know more about her till now i don't know nothing is she a victim or one of the bad guys now ??? but for sure i didn't like that the first things she thought about after hearing MG condition was " that it may be the best that he lost his memory
  • HR my poor things , wow seeing her mother , step dad and her life was painfull she really had so many hope and trust in that OPPA even if he didn't reply her letters , he was the best power which remind her that she was happy and loved someday , but still we know nothing about her why she start seeing death even if it start when she was born there most be reason !!! why her mother said it all was wrong i don't think it empty words i think her mother now something about HR herself and hidden it !!!!! why his father die? why the same detective who know her father and was in his crime scene now working with MG ??  but in the end i feel sad for her , and when she was crying in the floor and saw her OPPA was heartbreaking scene

so many question and a little we know that was two ep's of throwing us in the drama world without any explain many things  - i can't wait to know more ,

•  

Hello chingus! :D

Alright. Episode 2 insights from me: 

First..perhaps it is just me, but episode 2 felt so much slower than episode 1. Suddenly, the whole 'seeing death' became secondary and we saw a lot of MG being a Reaper and what not instead. I hope we don't get this pattern consistently because the storyline then can become boring to me. I like a good balance of what Black is with the mixture of HR's gift. 

Second: This episode was also quite confusing. It seems like everyone is connected to what happened 20 years ago. There was a lot of investigation going on and i felt like I lost track of who wanted to know what. I am also confused on this whole Reaper thing now..particularly because of the episode 2 ending. So..my assumption is that Black is not..MG but has another face which means..another original body somewhere else? :blink:

Third: I agree with what one of our chingus @lclarakl said about the heavy humor. Now..i like myself a good comedy. But..it has to be done appropriately and correctly. Some humor which was given to us did not pay off as being funny. First episode gave us the scene at the team dinner which I found to be disturbing and not comical. It kind left me with a bad tummy feeling. Now..what is funny to me is the witty dialogue between HR to MG and the moments where MG is being oblivious to his actions. Something simplistic yet comical without overdoing it. Episode 2 had a few examples where the humor didn't pay off as being funny either. I think this drama may be aiming for a dark humor kind of thing. If so, I am hoping the humor will be applied much more smoothly. 

Now..even with all this said..I do like how both beginning to the episodes reveal something to us. @bebebisous33brought the attention to us on the opening scene of episode 1. I now think the Reaper has always been inside MG..because from episode 2, it seems like that was the case. The Reaper may have been hibernating within MG as to hide away from someone or something. I think the car ocean scene is symbolic to who Black originally is..which means Black is not MG. Also..the opening scene of episode 2. We get a Reaper connected to a newlywed. Then we get a voice over from the Reaper that they must not lay eyes on love or those in love..or else they pay a punishment (i hope I remember correctly). Now..exactly why was this shown to us..if not to foreshadow this is what will happen to Black. 

I am looking forward to the interactions between Black and HR. And like some of you, I wonder who HR will fall for. But..MG is originally dead..so how did he come back at the end of episode 2?

Hmm...

Archived