[Drama 2017] Black 블랙

larus

[HanCinema's Drama Preview] "Black"

photo896864.jpg

Most human beings do not find the idea of death all that attractive, but if Korean drama is good at something, that would be persistent romanticizing of anything and everything. "Black" may be another handsome Reaper, but do not let that fool you. The series looks like a potentially solid mystery ride.

Premise

A detective possessed by a Reaper (Song Seung-heon) and a woman who can predict death (Go Ara) in the form of shadows team up and try to save lives through their unique skills. The two fight against the rules of life and death as well as the consequences of their actions.

The Worrying

Still 1Still 2

Lead Duo

There is no beating around the bush about what many drama fans make of Song Seung-heon and Go Ara's acting skills and although I have only experienced the former enough to not have high demands of him, there is always hope in Dramaland and good guidance goes a long way. Perhaps this is their moment.

To Romance or Not to Romance

The original premise's romantic angle is nowhere to be found lately, but we need to wait and see. A romantic thriller would suit the channel just fine, but given that the promotional material focuses on the mystery and crime, an extra genre and layer could get too messy to handle. I hope the creators have their priorities set.

The Reassuring

Still 3Still 4

Channel Comfort Zone

Death and all manner of crime is what OCN does best and assuming any creeping shadow of forced romance is kept at bay, the channel should do just fine with the series. Its latest dramas have been ranging from decent to great and while I do not expect another "Save Me", I feel good about this.

The Korean Play

I know that "God's Gift - 14 Days" is the Macbeth of Korean drama for some fans and I have my own complaints over it. At the same time, audience demands and filming conditions clearly played a part in what had solid foundation. Choi Ran-I's potential may not have flourished in it, but I believe it is here and ready.

Closing Thoughts

Every fiber of my drama-cautious being is telling me to not get excited about "Black", but I am a sucker for the concept of playing with intentions and consequences for revealing the complexity of life and the nuances of pain in it. The promos look good and I hope to be entertained or even moved.

"Black" begins its run on October 14th and will air every Saturday and Sunday at 22:00, on OCN. It is directed by Kim Hong-seon-I, written by Choi Ran-I and features Song Seung-heonGo AraLee Eland Kim Dong-jun.

Still 5Still 6

Still 7Still 8

Character Poster 1Character Poster 2

Character Poster 3Character Poster 4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

★ last! The last chance to see ★ Song Seung-joon, and, this, Kim Dong-Jun!

The people who follow the comments below will come first on a first come-First-served basis at 10/11, the black > K Premiere Ticket (1 IN 2). You will receive a separate message from the winners. Please check your message immediately.

- event: Super (Black > K Premiere)
- time: 2017/10/11 at 20 (event start time) / young etc (times square)
- ticket booth open: 10/11 18:30

if the writernim is the one who wrote god's gift 14 days then it would be great I believe. I finished watching it in 2 days because it it make me curious. Now I even more curious about this drama. Seeing that the genre is supernatural thriller, so there won't be romance between them two?? Hmm..I'll be waiting for the further updates patiently... ^^ 

1xaxw8.gif

On 10/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, BokMan said:

if the writernim is the one who wrote god's gift 14 days then it would be great I believe. I finished watching it in 2 days because it it make me curious. Now I even more curious about this drama. Seeing that the genre is supernatural thriller, so there won't be romance between them two?? Hmm..I'll be waiting for the further updates patiently... ^^ 

Yeh, the writer is Choi Ran http://asianwiki.com/Choi_Ran_(screenwriter)

Director is Kim Hong Sun, the director of Voice http://asianwiki.com/Kim_Hong-Sun_(director)

From the synopsis, the grim reaper who inhabits a human body (detective Black) falls in love with Haram.

So, maybe there will be romance between them :wub:

6 hours ago, Mari95 said:

Song Seung Heon Addresses Concerns Of Similarities Between “Black” And “Goblin”

Black-Song-Seung-Heon-Goblin-XPN.jpg

A press conference for OCN’s new weekend drama “Black” was held on October 11 and during the event, Song Seung Heon addressed concerns about the potential similarities between “Black” and tvN’s hit drama “Goblin.”

The actor said, “I think it’s unavoidable for people to draw comparisons between our drama and ‘Goblin’ because both have the grim reaper play a major role. However, I’m confident that people’s curiosity and concerns will be resolved by the first episode. Our storyline, genre, and other factors will differentiate us from ‘Goblin.'”

Song Seung Heon then went on to share, “When I first joined the drama, I had a hard time because it was complicated and difficult to decipher. But I was drawn to the fresh concept of my character and his viewpoint of human emotions. The drama aims to share the message that in the end, the only thing that can solve the troubles of humankind are people and their relationships with each other.”

“Black” a mystery thriller that will follow Black (Song Seung Heon) and Kang Ha Ram (Go Ara), a grim reaper and a woman who can predict deaths respectively, as they break the rules to save people’s lives.

The first episode will air on OCN on October 14 at 10:20 p.m. KST.

Source (1) (2)

Top photo credit: Xportsnews

Fantasy thriller 'Black' dabbles in preternatural realm

2017/10/11 16:33

Article View Option
PrintEnlargeReduce
SNS Share
FacebookTwittergoogle plusPinterestLinked inTumblrRedditFacebook MessengerMore

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Oct. 11 (Yonhap) -- Has death became the winning formula since the mega-hit TV series "Goblin" or "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God?" The country's drama industry increasingly hopes so, with the latest one set to open this week.

A new TV series "Black" on cable movie channel OCN will take on the unlikely duo of a grim reaper named Black, played by Song Seung-heon, and a woman named Kang Ha-ram, played by Go Ara, who can see death. One is supposedly tasked with taking lives to the otherworld while the other -- who sees impending death -- is trying to stop it.

The cast of the new TV series "Black" on cable channel OCN poses for photos before a press conference in Seoul on Oct. 11, 2017. (Yonhap)The cast of the new TV series "Black" on cable channel OCN poses for photos before a press conference in Seoul on Oct. 11, 2017. (Yonhap)

"The characters see themselves slowly change as they witness unfair deaths time and again and join forces to stop them," producer Kim Hong-sun told reporters at a news conference Wednesday in a hotel in southern Seoul.

The fantasy thriller ultimately aims to comfort those who have seen wrongful death, Kim said.

Actor Song said he was instantly drawn to the script with enough plot that kept him guessing till the very end, although it was initially a bit hard to follow the intricate storyline and complex characters.

"After reading the first one or two episodes, I was like, 'What will this lead to?' And I was very impressed by the writer Choi Ran's imagination and how well she constructed the storyline," the actor said.

Actress Go Ara also said the fresh storyline was a big part in her decision to appear in the drama. But she admitted to having a hard time shooting scary scenes.

"In the beginning, I even had bad dreams, but I eventually got accustomed to them."

The series is written by popular scriptwriter Choi Ran who wrote "God's Gift: 14 Days," a popular 2014 TV series. It was remade into the 10-episode series "Somewhere Between" in the U.S. and has been on air on ABC since July.

A still cut of "Black," a new TV series on cable channel OCN. The image is provided by CJ E&M on Oct. 11, 2017. (Yonhap)A still cut of "Black," a new TV series on cable channel OCN. The image is provided by CJ E&M on Oct. 11, 2017. (Yonhap)

In the new series, Song plays the double role of a death angel and policeman Han Moo-kang, whose body becomes the host of the reaper.

Song said it was "challenging" to go back and forth between the two totally different characters of a spirit with no emotions whatsoever and a human being with abundant personal charms.

When he meets Kang Ha-ram who can't live without wearing sunglasses for fear of seeing the shadow of death, he finds himself slowly entangled in exactly the opposite mission that he is supposed to take on: save lives.

On the unavoidable questions of how he would portray a different grim reaper from the one played by Lee Dong-wook in the mega-hit "Goblin" series, Song said, "As soon as viewers watch the first episode of 'Black,' they will see our show is a totally different genre."

"I can tell you it is a strange, different and new genre," he said.

The drama premiers at 10:30 p.m. Saturday.

South Korean actor Song Seung-heon poses for photos before a press conference for the new TV series "Black" at a hotel in southern Seoul on Oct. 11, 2017. (Yonhap)South Korean actor Song Seung-heon poses for photos before a press conference for the new TV series "Black" at a hotel in southern Seoul on Oct. 11, 2017. (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

(END)

Kim Dong Jun Reveals That Song Seung Heon Wants IU To Sing OST For His Drama “Black”

Kim-Dong-Jun-IU-Song-Seung-Heon.jpg

During the press conference for OCN’s new drama “Black,” Kim Dong Jun talked about Song Seung Heon’s love for IU.

Kim Dong Jun shared, “Whenever we have some free time before going into filming, Song Seung Heon plays us some music and it’s always IU.”

“Song Seung Heon asked the director if our drama will be having an OST and even suggested IU. I hope IU can give us a positive response after reading this news article,” Kim Dong Jun added.

Meanwhile, the drama “Black” is about a grim reaper named Black (Song Seung Heon), who has possessed a human’s body, and a woman named Kang Ha Ram (Go Ara), who can see the shadows of death, breaking the rules of heaven and fighting to save people’s lives. Kim Dong Jun will be playing the role of Oh Man Soo, the son of a chaebol (wealthy conglomerate).

“Black” will be airing its first episode on October 14 at 10:20 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

Is Black copied from Gong Yoo's Goblin? Song Seung Heon responds to allegations

October 11, 2017 15:52 SGT

By Simi John
Song Seung Heon

Song Seung Heon will star as grim reaper in BlackFacebook/OfficialSSH

Song Seung Heon has responded to reports that his OCN drama Black is very much similar to tvN's hit show, Goblin. In the series that will air on 14 October, the 41-year-old South Korean actor will play the grim reaper.

During a press conference for Black, he said: "I think it's unavoidable for people to draw comparisons between our drama and 'Goblin' because both have the grim reaper play a major role. However, I'm confident that people's curiosity and concerns will be resolved by the first episode. Our storyline, genre, and other factors will differentiate us from 'Goblin.'"

"When I first joined the drama, I had a hard time because it was complicated and difficult to decipher. But I was drawn to the fresh concept of my character and his viewpoint of human emotions. The drama aims to share the message that in the end, the only thing that can solve the troubles of humankind are people and their relationships with each other," he added.

Goblin, also known as Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, was a massive success and Lee Dong Wook also gained global recognition for playing the role of a grim reaper in the drama. His chemistry with Gong Yoo was also praised by everyone.

Black will air on OCN on October 14 at 10:20 p.m. KST.

http://www.ibtimes.sg/black-copied-gong-yoos-goblin-song-seung-heon-responds-allegations-17867

3 hours ago, Mari95 said:

Kim Dong Jun Reveals That Song Seung Heon Wants IU To Sing OST For His Drama “Black”

During the press conference for OCN’s new drama “Black,” Kim Dong Jun talked about Song Seung Heon’s love for IU.

Kim Dong Jun shared, “Whenever we have some free time before going into filming, Song Seung Heon plays us some music and it’s always IU.”

“Song Seung Heon asked the director if our drama will be having an OST and even suggested IU. I hope IU can give us a positive response after reading this news article,” Kim Dong Jun added.

Meanwhile, the drama “Black” is about a grim reaper named Black (Song Seung Heon), who has possessed a human’s body, and a woman named Kang Ha Ram (Go Ara), who can see the shadows of death, breaking the rules of heaven and fighting to save people’s lives. Kim Dong Jun will be playing the role of Oh Man Soo, the son of a chaebol (wealthy conglomerate).

“Black” will be airing its first episode on October 14 at 10:20 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

Looks like he really is a big fan of IU. Even at break time he played IU's song - Through The Night (밤편지). 

On 9.10.2017 at 7:24 PM, BokMan said:

Now I even more curious about this drama. Seeing that the genre is supernatural thriller, so there won't be romance between them two?? Hmm..I'll be waiting for the further updates patiently... ^^ 

there will be romance the whole story is about how he fall in love with her and start to break his own rules and the heaven rules

2 hours ago, Mari95 said:

Song said it was "challenging" to go back and forth between the two totally different characters of a spirit with no emotions whatsoever and a human being with abundant personal charms.

what the meaning of that ?????????????? the detective is not death ?? there will be fight between two souls in the same body !!!!!!! ( okay that going to be a sad  ending if that true 

and the new preview wow so dark and hot i can't look away how from that death look in the grim reaper eyes :heart:

look like she will try to make a deal with him to help the detective to come back 

i can't wait to see this two now how they going to come to love feeling after all that 

25 minutes ago, nona88 said:

what the meaning of that ?????????????? the detective is not death ?? there will be fight between two souls in the same body !!!!!!! ( okay that going to be a sad  ending if that true 

and the new preview wow so dark and hot i can't look away how from that death look in the grim reaper eyes

It is still confusing for me how Grim Reaper will take the detective body. We have to watch the drama to understand what is going on. If the detective is not dead and Black is just a coabitant then I agree that the ending could be a sad ending for him and for the protagonist couple. If the detective is dead, and Black is taking the body, it will be hard for the doctor, the  girlfriend/ fiancee but she has the whole drama to move on/ to cope with the tragedy. Something is telling me that it is the second scenario but we`ll see.

I watched the preview. It is good that I can "feel the darkness". I think Song Seung heon did good in the scene where the grim reaper was talking to Go Ara`s character. I totally see him as a dark force in that scene.  Fingers crossed for a good drama.

Fantasy drama ‘Black’ deals with the afterlife

Oct 12,2017

The hit tvN series “Guardian: The Lonely and Great God,” also known as “Goblin,” captured audience’s hearts earlier this year with a story involving death messengers. The upcoming OCN drama “Black” expects to achieve a similar achievement with a story including similar characters.

“Black,” directed by Kim Hong-seon and starring Go Ara and Song Seung-heon, will deliver a tense and mysterious story about a woman (Go) who predicts death, and a death messenger (Song) who prevents death. 

“‘Black’ is a mystery drama with some fantasy elements,” the director said Wednesday at press conference held in southern Seoul. Though the series features death messengers just like “Goblin,” Kim stressed that “Black” will be very different from the tvN series.

“‘Goblin’ was a drama that focused on romance, but ‘Black’ will be based on fantasy and mystery,” Kim said. “Together with the scriptwriter Choi Ran, we aim to demonstrate problems caused by greedy and ambitious human beings, and to save those on the verge of death.”

Song, whose character takes on different forms - his coldhearted guide to the afterlife enters the body of a caring newbie detective - said that though the script was refreshing, it was initially not easy for him to fully understand.

“The first thought that crossed my mind after reading the script was, ‘What is this?’ Its genre was a mystery but it also had elements of romance as well as very complex relationships,” the actor said during the press event.

The drama also co-stars Kim Dong-jun and Lee El. The first of its 16 episodes will premiere on Saturday. 

By Hong You-kyoung  

3 hours ago, larus said:

It is still confusing for me how Grim Reaper will take the detective body. We have to watch the drama to understand what is going on. If the detective is not dead and Black is just a coabitant then I agree that the ending could be a sad ending for him and for the protagonist couple. If the detective is dead, and Black is taking the body, it will be hard for the doctor, the  girlfriend/ fiancee but she has the whole drama to move on/ to cope with the tragedy. Something is telling me that it is the second scenario but we`ll see.

I watched the preview. It is good that I can "feel the darkness". I think Song Seung heon did good in the scene where the grim reaper was talking to Go Ara`s character. I totally see him as a dark force in that scene.  Fingers crossed for a good drama.

detective died and the grim reaper take his body. maybe there is a chance for detective to live again. because this is fantasy drama so everything can happened

Archived