[Drama 2017] Black 블랙

larus

I was a little bit excited for the premiere episode last night that I ended up watching it 3 times: live stream, raw and then subbed. ^_^

First ep was kinda slow except for the final minutes but I guess that's understandable coz they're laying out the groundwork and introducing us to the characters and I think they're all interesting and definitely not one-dimensional. Detective Han is nice although a bit slow on the uptake and weak on the stomach which gives us some of the funny scenes. Haram although been struggling to cope up with her "curse" but I like that even though she's super afraid of these shadows of death, she's also quite an interesting woman. Her comebacks and threats are so funny coz they're kinda disturbing to hear coming out from a woman. Soo Wan has a mysterious past that links to Detective Han and it'll be something to look forward to how her character will relate now to "Black" who has possessed the body of her boyfriend who was supposed to be dead. Then lastly, for our main characters is Man Soo. In the precinct, he thought Haram was a fortune teller and with his brother setting him up to fail by handing him the Royal Insurance company, I have a feeling that he'll seek out Haram for this.

I was checking out Naver and Black has been trending in the top 10 since last night. Although the comments are quite mixed but hopefully, more will decide to stick and the ratings will go up. The casts made some nice ratings promises and I would love for that to happen. :)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to love SSH (been a fan since He Was Cool), however, this episode didn't really impress me. It's as if they were trying too hard and over the top with trying to be gross. I hope it settles down and get into a 'normal' range of logic.

It's obvious that the male lead is putting on act for those around him--why. Also, what's up with his "wife" or girlfriend? She seems to have another motive where he's concern. I'll continue to watch for now, but the story isn't really pulling me in at the moment.

59 minutes ago, shuurei02 said:

I was a little bit excited for the premiere episode last night that I ended up watching it 3 times: live stream, raw and then subbed. ^_^

First ep was kinda slow except for the final minutes but I guess that's understandable coz they're laying out the groundwork and introducing us to the characters and I think they're all interesting and definitely not one-dimensional. Detective Han is nice although a bit slow on the uptake and weak on the stomach which gives us some of the funny scenes. Haram although been struggling to cope up with her "curse" but I like that even though she's super afraid of these shadows of death, she's also quite an interesting woman. Her comebacks and threats are so funny coz they're kinda disturbing to hear coming out from a woman. Soo Wan has a mysterious past that links to Detective Han and it'll be something to look forward to how her character will relate now to "Black" who has possessed the body of her boyfriend who was supposed to be dead. Then lastly, for our main characters is Man Soo. In the precinct, he thought Haram was a fortune teller and with his brother setting him up to fail by handing him the Royal Insurance company, I have a feeling that he'll seek out Haram for this.

I was checking out Naver and Black has been trending in the top 10 since last night. Although the comments are quite mixed but hopefully, more will decide to stick and the ratings will go up. The casts made some nice ratings promises and I would love for that to happen. :)

Exactly, since she knows the future, she can predict if it is good to sign insurance contracts with certain people. But there is more to it: Royal insurance was also involved in the Moojin fire from 20 years ago. So all the knots are linked to that incident:

- Ha Ram must have lost her father due to that

- Han MG witnessed KS Young being harassed by that woman who died later. They have just found her body. 

- Soo Wan changed her identity but she still possesses the tape.

- Oh Man Soo must have lost his parents, since the hyung is the CEO of that Group.

I also believe that Han MG was faking his clumsiness and ineptitude most part of the time (except for his fragile stomach) so that no one would suspect that he was investigating a case from 20 years ago. Soo Wan approached HMG for a certain reason but fell in love with him.

Now, I am curious to know why Ha Ram has this special gift. It must be related to the grim reaper. In the sypnosis, it is written that Black falls in love with a woman which I assume that it is Ha Ram. However, he got his memories erased for breaking the rules of heaven. Maybe from the start, it was destined that Black would fall in love with her hence she received this gift... 

@evie7 Hello there, chingu!!

Wow! Please..don't watch this drama alone in the dark!! :lol: i got some jump scares from those shadows myself!

I am loving the pilot episode. It has garnered my attention. HR is an intriguing person even with her gift. Her witty humorous comebacks makes me laugh. SSH..that last scene..wow! From Detective Han to Reaper! :blush:

What i really like about this drama is that right off the bat..we see what will happen even if HR tries to change the fate of those meant to die. No matter what measures she tries to take, what is meant to happen will still happen. We see that in this case, by her switching the original hostage, MG became the hostage. He took the place of the original hostage. Hence the effect of trying to prevent the death had no change in the fate of death..it just changed who will die. 

I am waiting to see how a Grim Reaper, who is closely tied to death, will connect to HR who can foresee death.

@bebebisous33 you are here too chingu! *hugs*

@evie7 you are too!! *hugs*

I was super excited to watch a romance between a grim ripper and a human, but now that we saw what the detective was like I don't want him to leave. He's adorable. Is this going to be a love triangle with only two people? Or are they going to just kill off the detective, cause I don't think I'm down with that.

2017101601000923200076281_20171015133732  

he really have low EQ he need help to understand why this human see him weird

without underwear , using women W.C. and sitting like this in front of detective i hope he learn fast  how human act :joy: he can ask HR maybe she not the best one who has connecting with other human but she has more than him at least:joy:

Gosh!! I never expected this drama to be sooo good.B). I just gave it a try for its different summary coz I m a sucker of grim reaper or fantasy kinda dramas..:D I thought it wud be similar with goblin.. But bam!! It's completely different.. Detective Han, did he really die??..he was so cute lol.. There is some mystery involved in that 20 yrs before moojin fire case..:ph34r:. So  mysterious.. HR character is so different.. I felt the was really brave enough to try to help others when she was given a helping hand.. She tried to survive no matter what with her curse or gift.. I feel HR is a stronger female character:).. Now her trying to die,is not bcoz of cowardice but due to guilt.. That royal insurance guy what is he gonna bring to the story.. I m really intrigued.:crazy:

I m looking forward to the grim reaper in action.. I want to see the interactions between grim reaper n HR.. I m expecting romance between grim reaper n HR.. Whatever it is I m struck with the storyline.. Awesome!! Just mind-blowing!! 

@icyphoenix @larus @evie7 @vangsweetie637@nona88 @shuurei02 @p3rsephone No one has even mentioned the first scene when grim reaper jumps off the cliff and finds the corpse in the car. He was upset screaming that it was him. This scene as introduction plays a huge part in the story. My theory about this:

- As a grim reaper, he must have discovered his past identity and how he died. This could be an explanation why he will be punished for breaking the laws of heaven. Nevertheless, he seems quite emotional for a grim reaper. Either by living with HR, he might have become more human or he couldn't lose his humanity despite his job and this happened before he met HR.

- But since the body was still in the car and the car had been there for a long time, I assume that he must have died a long time ago. I do think that this could be a murder, since we are watching a mystery and crime drama. 

26 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@icyphoenix @larus @evie7 @vangsweetie637@nona88 @shuurei02 @p3rsephone No one has even mentioned the first scene when grim reaper jumps off the cliff and finds the corpse in the car. He was upset screaming that it was him. This scene as introduction plays a huge part in the story. My theory about this:

- As a grim reaper, he must have discovered his past identity and how he died. This could be an explanation why he will be punished for breaking the laws of heaven. Nevertheless, he seems quite emotional for a grim reaper. Either by living with HR, he might have become more human or he couldn't lose his humanity despite his job and this happened before he met HR.

- But since the body was still in the car and the car had been there for a long time, I assume that he must have died a long time ago. I do think that this could be a murder, since we are watching a mystery and crime drama. 

nice thooughs 

yes  i didn't want to talk about the scene yet after all starting a drama with that scene where the grim reaper find his old body in sea like that was shoking , so yeh maybe he wanted to find who he was ? and how he die ? that why he take the detective body but to know if he was still has a humanity in him i am going to wait to see more about him today after seeing more about him will tell us what kind of person oh sorry what kind of grim reaper he is :joy:

if he in that place for so long maybe really it was murder but everyone in this drama seemed to me is connected to the fire that happen 20 years ago in some way so maybe he also part of that !!!

i am also think that the time capsule that HR and the detective bury has something important inside that connect everyone what you think about it ?

21 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Grrr!! I forgot to mention about that.. Yes the way he looked at the body n cried.. That seems he has no memory of how he died until then.. I think there is some mystery involved behind the grimreaper's death too.. That case which he is investing that 20 yr old case regarding some tape that might be involved too.. 

In addition to ur theories I remember another scene.. 

Where MG tells his gf or wife or whatever that he is gonna take bath but he goes in a secret place where it is opened only his eyes code.. That time his eyes was red like a grim reaper's one.. I felt that the grim reaper might be using his body to know the truth of his murder.. I don't know just guessing.. 

They might have cohabited the body of MG.. As we can see glimpses of detective Han's past nature n the grim reaper too.. Plus there was a reflection scene in preview in which grim reaper informed MG that he died.. 

Seeing HR n knowing her n his own past n for his feelings for HR,  grim reaper might wanna save the world which will go against the whole heaven

Soo many theories r coming up @bebebisous33 let's see which of our theories r involved in the story.. But it was really good of you to come up with these theories.. Your theories triggered my mind too lol:ph34r:

@icyphoenix @nona88Thanks for the replies. :) @icyphoenix I like your theory that the grim reaper might have cohabited in MG's body before his death because this would explain why Ha Ram didn't see his death after putting the other guy in jail. She should have seen his shadow because she wasn't wearing any sunglasses. I had some trouble with his death because of that. I had feared that this might be a plothole. But thanks to your observation, this would explain why the detective comes back from the dead. 

18 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@icyphoenix @nona88Thanks for the replies. :) @icyphoenix I like your theory that the grim reaper might have cohabited in MG's body before his death because this would explain why Ha Ram didn't see his death after putting the other guy in jail. She should have seen his shadow because she wasn't wearing any sunglasses. I had some trouble with his death because of that. I had feared that this might be a plothole. But thanks to your observation, this would explain why the detective comes back from the dead. 

@bebebisous33 rightly observed!! Even HR didn't think that.. She just thought she has changed his destiny n was abt to kill herself.. 

I think that royal insurance is involved in some way in the past case 20yrs ago case n grim reaper's death n also HR's dad death.. As HR's dad was also a detective, he might have found something which might have been related to the case.. I don't know if my theory is true or not.. As it's crime n thriller show, I assumed their deaths might have been interlinked!! 

Let's see what today's episode reveals 

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

To make sure I'm clear, the grim reaper, Black, is appearing at the end of episode 1 when the detective died. I'm looking forward to seeing the change in attitude and personality with his possession. Using his new body, he then jumps off the cliff to find out how he died. There is still some mystery around the detective that needs clarification--his secret room.

In regards to HR not seeing MG's death, I think it's because maybe he's not considered dead because the reaper inhabits his body. So he's technically still "alive" but possessed.

I can tell now that the thread is going to make this drama worth watching....:tongue:

32 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

To make sure I'm clear, the grim reaper, Black, is appearing at the end of episode 1 when the detective died. I'm looking forward to seeing the change in attitude and personality with his possession. Using his new body, he then jumps off the cliff to find out how he died. There is still some mystery around the detective that needs clarification--his secret room.

In regards to HR not seeing MG's death, I think it's because maybe he's not considered dead because the reaper inhabits his body. So he's technically still "alive" but possessed.

I can tell now that the thread is going to make this drama worth watching....:tongue:

Yes, you are right. The detective is now Black, the grim reaper. However, he still knows about his own identity, since he spoke in a negative way about humans. Moreover, he won't remember Ha Ram as well. So from my point of view, the personality of Black will be predominant in the next episodes. Yet, I believe that MG's soul will still be there so that as time passes on, both might cooperate together.

@icyphoenix Yes, Royal insurance is definitely involved. I guess, the eldest brother might have something to do with it. He is much older than his brother. Moreover, the fact that he is using him as scapegoat for the problem with that insurance underlines his ruthlessness. 

@Mico Ricco Great that you are joining this thread! :)Looking forward for your posts too!! 

I just finished the first episode. I have so many questions.

I was intrigued by the first scene. Grim Reaper found his human body in the sea and cried/ screamed "This is really me?" I think he started to remember his former life, when he was human and he now that he finds the body he will want to know more about his death. I notice that he was bleading when he used his bare hand to break the glass (A Grim Reaper is like a human? ) and he had detective Han`s face. Why?  Maybe I should not asked those questions. He was on the pasenger`s seat. Who was the driver? Why he became a grim reaper? What wrong he did when he was human?

I also believe that Black (Grim reaper) took Moo Bang`s body to find out what happen with himself, why he died.  Moo Gang himself was mysterious. He had a secret room , he was investigating an old case and there are many other people involved in this case. Maybe the doctor approached Moo Bang with an ulterior motive and she felt in love with him. That`s make her an interesting character. We found out that Ha Ram knew Moo Gang as well. Maybe her father died in that incident that Moo Gang was investigating. Moo Gang lost his memory? He did not remember Ha Ram and her gift. And I am also sure that the Royal insurance was involved as well in that old case.

In a way I am sad that Moo Gang died and Black took his place. I thought it would have been interesting to see the clumsy detective and Ha Ram solving cases together. And why Ha ram did not see the shadow of death on Moo Bang? I am confused a little. Moo Bang was not suposed to be dead?  His faith changed when he took that man`s place? That`s why she was not able to see the shadow on him. 

I am thinking that Grim Reaper will return to investigate the death of his human self, will fall in love with a human, and then he will be punished by erasing the memory in people he met, and maybe the detective Han soul will return in his body? This is what we`ll have here?  But... I should not think ahead of what we see on screen.

There are many questions I want to find an answer....

This is me.....first scene was amazing. It's good start. She can foresee death , shadows vision and grim reaper this drama full of fantasy and I love fantasy. GR in her childhood friend but I think if she ask him about past does he know about it..?due to powers may be or may be not. 

First episode and I am hooked!

I felt that Moo Gang most probably had died after he left Ha Ram when they were young. An accident perhaps.

It's strange that he didn't recognise her name or even had an inkling of who she could be because Ha Ram is a unique name.

Plus she can see shadows which when there was a flashback, Moo Gang (Yoon oppa?) also knew of her ability and said that it was a blessing.

I was pretty confused during the first part of Episode 1 - his strange behaviour as a detective and his secret room. What happened between him and his girlfriend? (Hey Hey, shades of Goblin because of her)

That said, this drama gives me no vibes that it is similar to Goblin.... but shades of While you were sleeping?

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Now, I am curious to know why Ha Ram has this special gift. It must be related to the grim reaper. In the sypnosis, it is written that Black falls in love with a woman which I assume that it is Ha Ram. However, he got his memories erased for breaking the rules of heaven. Maybe from the start, it was destined that Black would fall in love with her hence she received this gift... 

So does this mean the Detectives memories come in to play?:D  I already miss him and want him to get to the bottom of what happened in 1997. I'm going to have to back read this thread. I love the whole premise of the show. This first episode was intense even though I read spoilers the last minutes were wild. 

I was wondering about that first scene too. It was confusing because MG didn't die in a car crash, but when they found that body on the beach, I thought it was Blacks.:tongue: Now I'm not so sure but the corpse died approx. 20 years ago so I'm leaning towards Blacks death has to do w/the events in 1997.

@icyphoenix Wow that theory that black may have been inhabiting Detective Han's body for a while does make sense.  I'm going to have too watch it again and stop fangirling over SSH in every scene he's in but from watching but I think I won't get over it too soon after watching that clip @nona88 posted.B)

@lclarakl I loved SSH since watching him in He Was Cool too. I started to watch his dramas after that too but he dies in a lot of them so I gave up watching all of his dramas. At least in this one, he's already dead so my expectations are different for a happy ending. I hope this one picks up for you since it has been a while since I have read your insights.:wub:

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

What i really like about this drama is that right off the bat..we see what will happen even if HR tries to change the fate of those meant to die. No matter what measures she tries to take, what is meant to happen will still happen. We see that in this case, by her switching the original hostage, MG became the hostage. He took the place of the original hostage. Hence the effect of trying to prevent the death had no change in the fate of death..it just changed who will die. 

I'm so happy you are watching this toodragontail1.gif?1 I'm so sorry I haven't replied to your tag in Because this is....thread I'm watching that one too. I wonder how they will go about saving people and cheat fate. I really think MG knew that he would be the one to die but decided he would go to help that mans mother anyway. 

Archived