[Weekend Event] Earn 2x Soompi Points
Update #9 is being installed. Service disruptions are expected. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

1 hour ago, lilyphenix said:

I hear you. I wonder how many scenes don't make it to the final cut...

They make many mistakes because an american officer (Felipe Arca) during the attack on the american legation gate is without rank, during the discussion with the consul he has the rank of Captain US Marine Corps :) 

• Like 1

Question, why AS only bandage DM's hand only, i mean he also got injured on his back :D.

I'm little bit surprise when he came up in the opium den, thankfully he's okay.

Anyway i'm confuse why EC sent to prison for 3 years and discharged just because he shot legation's window.

The actor who played Takashi Mori is really good. I mean i hated his character a lot lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I rewatched E22 and that 3 yr time jump rankled me again. It feels like the writer was more keen on incorporating historical events at the expense of the personal stories/journeys of the main characters - read Eugene - why else would he get stuck like a  rock in prison cell for three years, doing nothing to contribute to the story? Don't forget Dong Mae too - lying like a wasteman in an opium den in Manchuria .UGH!!!! What a waste of these two characters!! . For fans who have been watching purely for a fictionalized/ loosely based story on real events of that time, I don't think that the time jump and the fridging of Eugene (and DM) for three years was any problem at all. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet of these fictional characters, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

@Preksha Shahal It can go either way but safe to go in fully expecting tragedy and a sad ending. That way, if we get something akin to a satisfying/happy conclusion, we can always be pleasantly surprised.

@q4q4 Another time jump? Be careful what you wish for because what if we flash forward to 1945? Eh? Would that do?  ;):)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 12blbl said:

The actor who played Takashi Mori is really good. I mean i hated his character a lot lol

I'm looking on his name in Mr. Sunshine's Wikipedia but it's not included there. His name is Kim Nam Hee...I agree he played his character well.  He's such a psycho.... Hope to see him in other dramas.

I'm glad that they showed the back story of Hotaru and Dong Mae but I'm still waiting on the story of Hina and Dong Mae. I mean when did their deep and complex relationship start. 

@lilyphenix- I love your interpretation on how the ronin boss freed Dong Mae. It just perfectly make sense specially when the boss said, "You now have something you cherish above else" and slashed DM to make him fall in the abyss ...I think ronin's at that time too had a code to follow. Sorry I keep mentioning DM - I'm a sucker of these type of characters portrayed in a drama or movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sejung (gugudan) – Paramour (정인) Mr. Sunshine OST Part 13

This path that you and I are walking on
Is really not easy
So again today, I couldn’t catch you
And I’m letting you go like this

Spoiler

The deeper my heart grows
I cry and laugh alone
In case I make you cry
Again today, I’m just looking at you by myself

If you feel the same way as me
If you want me too
Please look at me
At me, the fool who only look at you

If you could be happy
If you could laugh
Don’t worry about me
Hurting by myself is easy to do

Where you are standing
Where you are staying
I’ll be there
Me, who waits for you with an aching heart

At the end of the road that’s farther away than the sea
If we ever meet again
Hold my hand
If I’m with you, that path will be easy

POPGASA

• Like 5

3 hours ago, 12blbl said:

Anyway i'm confuse why EC sent to prison for 3 years and discharged just because he shot legation's window.

Being an officer, he fired a shot at the US legation (breaking the law and attack on the country?). A soldier (corporal) was killed on duty. The incident could have caused political problems. For such a thing, you can get a reprimand or a suspended sentence? He was discharged and spent three years in prison.  Everything for the forced script in this topic (the same for DM)

2 hours ago, mistergenie said:

I rewatched E22 and that 3 yr time jump rankled me again. It feels like the writer was more keen on incorporating historical events at the expense of the personal stories/journeys of the main characters - read Eugene - why else would he get stuck like a  rock in prison cell for three years, doing nothing to contribute to the story? Don't forget Dong Mae too - lying like a wasteman in an opium den in Manchuria .UGH!!!! What a waste of these two characters!! . For fans who have been watching purely for a fictionalized/ loosely based story on real events of that time, I don't think that the time jump and the fridging of Eugene (and DM) for three years was any problem at all. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

I hope Eugene put a ring again on her finger in the middle of the square or free space (reunion after 3 years when she regains consciousness and running to him). In front of many RA members and cadets who survived. Maybe the emperor (dethroned) will be there with delegation (disarming and massacre army of Joseon) and will be a witness their reunion? It's time to fight backwardness and old customs (his proof of love and she does not have to be ashamed or afraid of a Western marriage).

I'd like Eugene to get and wear Colonel Joseon's uniform (for old merits and as part of trust). Now he looks like an ordinary partisan :)

DM and Hina reunion, but what is their role in the RA? I have no idea.

• Like 5

Does anyone think there is more to why EVERYONE wants Ashin to survive? EC, DM and HS love her, KH is taking orders from the palace, the RA feels they owe her but there must be another reason. I have a far fetched idea. Could she have ties to the throne we dont know about yet?  Yes, her family is important to the King but why her specifically? The whole of Joeson seems to be vested in her survival... She is our stories heroine and that should be enough but I have a feeling there may be a deeper motivation to the conspiracy of her survival. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@burningpotato

Too few females main cast in this drama so I hooe they keep the 3 girls alive.  Hina has ties wth the Royals, her role as important?

Chinese drama "seige in fog" ending left me speechless and frustrated.. so I do hope mr sunshine does not give us same type of ending for the 3 male leads..:tears:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mistergenie said:

@q4q4 Another time jump? Be careful what you wish for because what if we flash forward to 1945? Eh? Would that do?  ;):)

We may see a future mirroring of the photo of Ae-Shin's parents, when her and Eugene's child or grandchild has that photo of them in 40 or 50 years.

9 hours ago, linygirl1 said:

Does anyone think there is more to why EVERYONE wants Ashin to survive? EC, DM and HS love her, KH is taking orders from the palace, the RA feels they owe her but there must be another reason. I have a far fetched idea. Could she have ties to the throne we dont know about yet?  Yes, her family is important to the King but why her specifically? The whole of Joeson seems to be vested in her survival... She is our stories heroine and that should be enough but I have a feeling there may be a deeper motivation to the conspiracy of her survival. 

Because she's a perfect sparkly unicorn who can do no wrong, and all the boys love her. In other words, tv heroine.

10 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

DM and Hina reunion, but what is their role in the RA? I have no idea.

Hina's been part of the resistance in many ways for quite a while now. All Dong-Mae has done is save his crush (and, seriously, they never speak, but he's still fussed over his unending love for her?)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 2

About the time jump: there had to be repercussions for what EC did. He willingly disobeyed an order to return to America and then he engaged in fights with some Japanese people, causing an incident that put in jeopardy the relationship between America and Japan. The incident also ended with an American soldier being dead. @bedifferent already mentioned the shooting at the building and some of the things I've mentioned.

Also at the martial court, he never says that he was with his wife because probably he would have added a new charge, forging documents. So without the wife explanation, there is not much that he could say in his defence.

Only Kyle's explanation lowered his sentence.

2 hours ago, burningpotato said:

Because she's a perfect sparkly unicorn who can do no wrong, and all the boys love her. In other words, tv heroine.

You seem to forget that she has a skill that is very necessary for the RA: she is very good at shooting people. Not many are, especially the young cadets.

So she is not a unicorn, on the contrary, we were told and we could see many times that she is a very good snipper. So the story makes sense.

If you and @linygirl1 are wondering why the king wanted her rescued, there are some reasons. First, she is an asset of the RA and the king does things for RA as the RAs does for the king. Second, the king admired AS's grandfather and probably felt guilty about what happened to his grandfather: recall that he dies because the king gave a lot of power to LWI. Third, when people are fighting about something together, they tend to have each other backs.

7 hours ago, mistergenie said:

. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet of these fictional characters, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

What can I say? the political and the social are personal and vice versa. Would it make more sense to send EC to America and have him coming back right away? Only if EC was not a soldier and lived in a very fictional Korean drama universe. Since he lives in a semi-fictional one, one that follows up to a point history, he had to pay for his decisions.

Moreover, from the point of view of the story, the separation makes sense: EC took a very hard decision for AS; if there were no repercussions for his decisions, then he should have taken it long ago.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, linygirl1 said:

My interpretation is that Aeshin symbolizes the new Joseon. Remember that old grandpa Go represents the spirit of old Joseon, that's why Mori Takashi targeted him. So that's what I think writer is projecting here.  And realistically, I feel that there's no time to introduce new conspiracy.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, marfisa said:

@bedifferent I am referring to the part in which Eugene asks Kyle why he was his friend, as he did fight the other American for him. Kyle replies it was because he (Eugene) is a good soldier, because ......, and because he (Kyle) believes in God.  I missed what he said in beetwen, I dont know if I have understood really what he said, but seemed something about the consul in Japan.

Ahhha, lol.  My ears said the following: :lol:

Kyle: Now tell me. Why are you here?

EC:    I am going on another picnic in Joseon. I'll be a real outlander.

Kyle:  So Joseon is your real homeland.

EC:    My homeland is America, even without my uniform.  I am again leaving my country but I am not running away this time. I'm moving forward.

Kyle:   If you must go, you promise me one thing.  You come back.

EC:  I promise. I'll come back. By the way, I always wanted to ask you something.  Why do you want to be my friend? You fired at another American because of me.

Kyle: Because you are a good soldier and others who messed with you are idiots. And I believe in God.

EC: Thank you Kyle. My boss, my friend, my honor.  May God be with you always.

When Kyle said he believes in Eugene because he believes in God, it mirrored what the young Eugene thought many years ago that there is a higher being who answers to people like him in time of need.  It also evoked the memories of Joseph who rescued the young Eugene. Just to know that there are someone who believes in him and is motivated to do the right thing for others selflessly.  It brought Eugene to tears.

I think Eugene will keep his promise to come back home to America.  I wonder what he means by being an outlander in Joseon, as he no longer identify with a land controlled by Japanese?

• Like 7

Translation by DDOBOJA

[Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 22

0003865387_001_20180916230913339.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun ♥ Kim Tae Ri, separated for three years..Choi Moo Sung dies

Nationwide rating for episode 22: 16.588% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+12970, -151] My life drama was 'Signal' but 'Mr. Sunshine' is really.. a drama where it's not enough to describe it as a life drama and that feeling makes you emotional - I hope this drama is exported to a lot of foreign countries so that it can expose what kind of things Japan did 

2. [+9327, -79] Wow.. When he said, "I'm Ahn Chang Ho" I seriously got chills all over my body.. ㅠㅠ Today's episode was really sad in many ways ㅠㅠㅠ it's really crazy, ah it's so sad seriously 
↪ [+380, -3] When the hotel blew up at the end, the directing was insane
↪ [+274, -1] "I'm also one of them"
↪ [+144, -1] Ahn Chang Ho ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+6186, -83] Our writer-nim who immediately killed off the villain and not cooly.. Seriously, with today's episode, I was able to feel writer Kim Eun Sook's intention to show the pain of our history that it was really sad..     

4. [+5861, -42] It hasn't even been 100 years since Korea became independent from Japan. We can't ever forget their wrongdoings. The members of the Righteous Army are younger than this era's current soldiers... Imagine how scared they were at that young age when their country was already taken from them and they couldn't see the future.. But because we had individuals like them who risked their lives and fought, isn't that why we have today's South Korea? I really couldn't hold back tears with today's episode of 'Mr. Sunshine'. No, there's no reason to hold back tears. For the Righteous Army that fought.. Instead of comfort, I'm expressing it with these trivial tears and gratitude. Thank you very much. I am so proud. Long live Korean independence!!

5. [+4939, -114] I'm going crazy - because they're showing what exactly would've happened in history, I'm getting more mad. Starting from tomorrow, even if it's just my family, I'm going to boycott Japanese products

6. [+2002, -28] Let's not go to Nami Island!!! Amongst writer Kim Eun Sook's works, this drama is the most complete, each and every directing, each and every line, Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Kim Min Jung, Yoo Yeon Seok, Byun Yo Han, and a lot of the supporting actors are really perfect. I wish many people would watch the drama but.. I'm really sad it's a cable drama. It's to the point where I wish this drama was a weekend drama that had 50 episodes.. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Watching this drama after watching a makjang drama is really healing. For the people who haven't watched, make sure to download it and watch it!!!! This is seriously a movie.      
↪ [+179, -0] From what I know, the owner of Nami Island is the descendant of a chinilpa (t/n: chinilpa(s) are basically Korean people who sold their country. While other Koreans were suffering because of being colonized by Japan, chinilpas and their families lived perfectly fine and most still do - most of them are still wealthy)
↪ [+156, -0] Nami Island belongs to a chinilpa descendant. It's not the country's property but their personal property so all the revenue goes to the chinilpa descendant, it's to the point where they receive revenue every day from just sitting, they're living and eating quite well. Because of the drama 'Winter Sonata', they earned a lot of money. 
↪ [+216, -0] Descendants of a chinilpa are the owners of Nami Island and because their citizenship isn't Korean, they don't pay any taxes for the revenue and it goes all to them. Many people don't know about this 

2018091701001389300109092_20180916223827356.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): "See you" Lee Byung Hun x Kim Tae Ri x Yoo Yeon Seok x Kim Min Jung meet again in Joseon

1. [+488, -1] I would like to once again thank the Righteous Army and ancestors who passed away while fighting for the country ㅠㅠ

2. [+257, -4] For two hours, my heart was suffocating and my throat was in pain because it was burning... Just watching is hard but the people in that era... 

3. [+209, -0] The fact that this is our history is really sad.... Thank you very much to the Righteous Army who fought for the country ㅠㅠ

4. [+140, -3] The Japanese bastards and the Seven Jeongmi Traitors were really annoying and thank you very much to the Righteous Army (t/n: The Seven Jeongmi Traitors are: Ye Wanyong, Song Byung Joon, Lee Byung Moo, Go Young Hee, Jo Joong Eung, Lee Jae Gon, Im Sun Joon)

5. [+102, -2] I respect Ahn Chang Ho ㅠ  

I literally got chills when Park Jung Min revealed to Lee Byung Hun that he's Dosan Ahn Chang Ho ㅠㅠ
I recommend y'all to check out Infinite Challenge's special episode dedicated to Dosan Ahn Chang Ho ㅠㅠ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, blademan said:
:heartbreak: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

Damn, I don't like it. Deceiving or will it be a sad ending? :/

Maybe the president of the US will appear with the delegation, Kyle will be the commander and see them and recognise them in the square (prisoners). Maybe he will ask for their amnesty (gift) as part of the Japanese-American friendship. I don't see any other powerful option if they end up in prison. Maybe Emperor of Joseon help them (but he is weak and powerless? the last gesture on his part that they should live) because i still remember AeShin western dress and they dont shown it yet. Releasing such an preview 2 weeks before the end of the series is suspicious....

Edit:

• Like 2

Those previews are bad :crazy:.. don't fall for them :blink:.. no no no..  they're evil..:vicx:

For the next 10 days :sweatingbullets:.. thinking positive ;).. and some nice fan art.. :wub:

Credit: @mmeflm

• Like 6

LALALALA. Previews are sneaky. I refuse to panic. Most probably, this is the immediate aftermath of the Glory Hotel bombing. The women are seriously injured and may have been carried to safety by the men, hence the blood on the men - looks like Ae Shin's left shoulder is bloody, maybe she was carried by Eugene in his arms hence the blood on the upper front side of his shirt. The other possibility is a gunshot wound to the chest of Eugene but I don't want to dwell on that. Edit: Wait a minute, the Eugene from the preview is wearing a cap and a dark coat but when he witnessed the hotel blow up, he wasn't wearing a cap and his coat was greyish. ARGH!!  Inner panic returns!!

Hina, though injured, seems fine, given the circumstances. There is a very quick frame where she is leaning on somebody's arm(DM probably) and she is crying yet still gives one of her trademark little smiles with that adorable pout of her mouth.

BUT DANGNABBIT!! Why are my fears about Ae Shin being unconscious turning out to be right? WHY??? WHY?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Hi Soompiers!  Boy, that was...well that was...

Before I broach on the issue at hand, let me just shout out to @lilyphenix (and other GoT fans) on last night's wins at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards (despite no airings of the current season this year)!!!!!!:glasses:

Spoiler

Image result for 70th primetime emmy awards game

Now, if only dragons could bypass security or just crash the ceremony (or exist but oh well...):ph34r:

*Btw, Soompi moderators, please let me know if I should remove this spoiler post above; for I'm aware that it's unrelated to Mr. Sunshine.:sweatingbullets:

Now back on topic: I had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to catch up on Ep. 21 and 22 of Mr. Sunshine until now.  And...

2 hours ago, blademan said:

:bawling::heartbreak: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

Hi @blademan. Sorry to cut your post.  That basically sums up my reaction to both those episodes and the preview in your quoted post.:blink::tears::heartbreak:

As @mistergenie (and other Soompiers whom I forgot to mention) said, that 3-year time jump was quite a whiplash that, for me, I could barely savor those earnest, heartfelt moments between AS and EC earlier in Ep. 21 and 22.  And yes, EC's gradual renouncing of his identity/security as a U.S. citizen/soldier (i.e., refusal  follow official orders of returning to the U.S.) was going to backfire on him after he (rightfully :ph34r:) shot down Takeshi Mori and was court-martialed in the U.S. for taking such (necessary!) action- hence the 3-year separation from AS !!:triumph:  And don't get me started on those casualties and blow-up scare of Glory Hotel during the final moments of Ep. 22 (though, objectively, kudos to KES for not holding back on the tragic nature of Gunner Jang Seungu's death and those senseless carnage at the hand of the Japanese oppressors :tears:)!

That being said, it's not like AS and EC didn't discuss or acknowledge any of those immediate or long-term consequences of their action in fighting together for their future, be it for Joseon independence or their own happiness regardless of social background or location.  AS did blame herself for dragging EC down with her in her fight for Joseon independence that she has held on to long before she met him,.  And EC, as always, tried to reassure AS that he wouldn't have acted any differently despite knowing those dangers as long as he could ensure AS' livelihood while staying by her side for at least one more day, and that all they could do is lean on each other for now and not spent the rest of their lives worrying about what tomorrow would bring.

At this point, we Soompiers will have to take EC's "parting" (AS and EC will never part! AS will see to it! :cold_sweat:) advice and hold on until the airing of the final 2 episodes.  Ironically, I'm somewhat glad for the one-week delay, which should give us more time (there's never enough time for AS', EC's, and others' happy moments! Darn those time skips! :angry:) to prepare ourselves for the inevitable (apparently, not just the official Japanese annexation of Joseon Korea :pensive:).

But, just because it needs to be said, please be misleading with that preview!!  Hearts are shattering everywhere, and heads are spinning out of space over this...:skull:

• Like 6