[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Righteous Army killed innocent guests, workers Glory Hotel and probably almost killed AS and Hina... How do you think EC/DM react? Who gave the order? It is obvious leader Eun San (RA not that much Righteous). 

Hina (spy of the emperor, they destroyed so good place for get informations) and AS (defendor Joseon) almost die at the hands of their own companions. He will be angry that his wife is hiding a marriage (passport - AeShin Choi, ring) for 3 years (customs). Joseon has not changed at all and everyone wants to keep the status quo (RA?) or benefit like traitors. 

She wanted to protect her companions when he wanted to convince her in Japan and they did something like that in the act of revenge.

If I remember correctly in 1907 RA had alliance and they take over Hanseong and probably new leader (fictional) will be Eugene as military man. He killed Takashi Mori and didnt hurt his wife (he could right? kill the shield and Mori). Probably Eun San give Eugene the leadership after very big argue in base.

Edit:

"In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi-In Seong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon."

They will show one big victory and that's it?

I wonder who survives and who will die.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

Righteous Army killed innocent guests, workers Glory Hotel and probably almost killed AS and Hina... How do you think EC/DM react? Who give the order? It is obvious leader Eun San (RA not that much Righteous). 

Hina (spy of the emperor, they destroyed so good place for get informations) and AS (defendor Joseon) almost die at the hands of their own companions. He gets angry that his wife is hiding a marriage (passport - AeShin Choi, ring) for 3 years (customs). Joseon has not changed at all and everyone wants to keep the status quo (RA?) or benefit like traitors. 

She wanted to protect her companions when he wanted to convince her in Japan and they did something like that in the act of revenge.

If I remember correctly in 1907 RA had alliance and they take over Hanseong and probably new leader (fictional) will be Eugene as military man. He killed Takashi Mori and didnt hurt his wife (he could right? kill the shield and Mori). Probably Eun San give Eugene the leadership after very big argue in base.

Edit:

"In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi-In Seong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon."

They will show one big victory and that's it?

I wonder who survives and who will die.

We haven't been shown the complete sequence of events. I am betting that the opening 10 min of E23 will show how the bomb/s were set,who set them and what really happened to the innocent guests. Obviously, the blowing up of Glory Hotel with Japanese soldiers inside is the RA's act of vengeance but I am pretty sure that Kudo Hina must have been taken into confidence and all the guests must have been evacuated beforehand. Remember how KN was making sure that all the Japanese soldiers were thoroughly drunk? It would have been easy to evacuate the guests without raising suspicions.

In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi-In Seong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon."

Ah! thanks for this historical tidbit. They did show the disbandment of the Joseon army and the massacre that followed so they could also touch on this event too.

Unable to fight the Japanese army head-on, the Righteous Army split into small bands of partisans to carry on the War of Liberation in China, Siberia and the Baekdu Mountains in Korea. The Japanese troops first quashed the Peasant Army and then disbanded the remained of the government army. Many of the surviving guerrilla and anti-Japanese government troops fled to Manchuria and Siberia and carried on their fight.

Fleeing to live another day and carry on the fight from Manchuria - I wish the show ends like this rather than all/some of our favorite characters dying.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, marfisa said:

@bedifferent thank you for the explanation. Still, I think the wife of an American (put aside the forged document) should be protected even without the visa that she would get later.  As a wife I think she was entitled to some rights  anyway, and she was in clear danger. I recall Kyle said something I did not hear clearly about these people (the head of consulate and maybe the judge) when he met again Eugene. What did he say?

It is a situation where Japan is at war with Joseon so the US legation in Japan doesn’t want to interfere for risk of putting US/Japan relationship at strain.  Think of it in the same way as Mori and Eugene both cannot kill each other in Joseon because it will put the countries into difficult situation.  Ae Shin is not yet a citizen so doesn’t have all the rights like Eugene so it is a tough call.  She deserves some protection, yes, but Eugene was not supposed to be passing through  to begin with.

Sorry which part?  There was a muffling “my fourth sentence, best one yet”?  Think that’s what he said???  Referring to his poem?! lol

• Like 5

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Righteous Army killed innocent guests, workers Glory Hotel and probably almost killed AS and Hina...

What you say is likely, but we don't know for sure because... Hina asked her employee to make sure the Japanese officers got drunk. I was thinking she did this so they wouldn't notice suspicious activities, like maybe the waiters leaving the room and not coming back to serve them. She risked her life by shooting at Japanese soldiers in broad daylight when she was in the tramway earlier that day, and before she also saved the lives even of the Joseon people who betrayed her (one of her woman employees who ratted her out to her dad, for example). Because of instances like that it's hard for me to imagine her sacrificing the lives of innocent people.

And AS worked with her on this. If workers died, I'd say that they volunteered their death, sacrificed themselves, but were not made to do it, duped, or willingly killed by the Righteous Army...

For the innocent guests of the hotel I can't say for sure. I can see how Hina wouldn't risk arising suspicions by warning non-Japanese guests, but also... In the best possible scenario, after 3 years of claiming the Glory Hotel as their own (because they say Hina is a Japanese citizen), it is possible that all the rooms were entirely full of Japanese guests, maybe not just officers, but also the officers' guests (they could be innocents indeed)...

• Like 5

Back on Soompi ..

September 17, 2018

“Mr. Sunshine” Tops Most Buzzworthy Dramas List As “100 Days My Prince” Makes Strong Debut

Source: Soompi by by jeeelim5

âMr. Sunshineâ Tops Most Buzzworthy Dramas List As â100 Days My Princeâ Makes Strong Debut

tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” has maintained its top spots for Most Buzzworthy Drama while “100 Days My Prince” has made a strong debut on the list in second place!

On September 17, the lists for Most Buzzworthy dramas and actors were released for the second week of September. “Mr. Sunshine” topped the list for its seventh consecutive week while tvN’s “100 Days My Prince” made its debut on the list by coming in at second place. They were followed by JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty,” which had been in second place for six consecutive weeks.

Check out the list of dramas below:

1. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” (15.27 percent)
2. tvN’s “100 Days My Prince” (12.06 percent)
3. JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” (9.08 percent)
4. OCN’s “The Guest” (6.85 percent)
5. OCN’s “Voice 2” (6.65 percent)
6. tvN’s “Familiar Wife” (6.49 percent)
7. SBS’s “30 but 17” (5.88 percent)
8. JTBC’s “Life” (5.73 percent)
9. KBS’s “My Only One” (3.62 percent)
10. MBC’s “Time” (2.68 percent)

For actors, Kim Tae Ri maintained her top spot and was joined in the Top 10 list by “Mr. Sunshine” co-stars Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok in third and seventh place respectively. “100 Days My Prince” stars EXO’s D.O. and Nam Ji Hyun debuted on the list in second place and sixth place respectively.

Check out the full list below!

1. Kim Tae Ri (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
2. EXO’s D.O. (tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”)
3. Lee Byung Hun (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
4. Cha Eun Woo (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
5. Im Soo Hyang (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
6. Nam Ji Hyun (tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”)
7. Yoo Yeon Seok (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
8. Han Ji Min (tvN’s “Familiar Wife”)
9. Shin Hye Sun (SBS’s “30 but 17”)
10. Ji Sung (tvN’s “Familiar Wife”)

Source (1) (2)

Credit: Chungmuro Crumb

• Like 4

So sorry if this was mentioned in the past but does anyone know which year Mr. Sunshine is supposed to end at? Was it 1907 or was it never specified? Just wondering bc I thought it would be interesting if they include the assassination of Ito Hirobumi

Also - did they mention what happened to Lord Jeung-Mun after he was rescued? I might have missed it

• Like 5

@bedifferent I am referring to the part in which Eugene asks Kyle why he was his friend, as he did fight the other American for him. Kyle replies it was because he (Eugene) is a good soldier, because ......, and because he (Kyle) believes in God.  I missed what he said in beetwen, I dont know if I have understood really what he said, but seemed something about the consul in Japan.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, q4q4 said:

So sorry if this was mentioned in the past but does anyone know which year Mr. Sunshine is supposed to end at? Was it 1907 or was it never specified? Just wondering bc I thought it would be interesting if they include the assassination of Ito Hirobumi

Also - did they mention what happened to Lord Jeung-Mun after he was rescued? I might have missed it

LJM went to Shanghai with Song Yeong.

Previously, we were under the false impression that the show's timeline was up to 1905. BUT, given the huge 3 yr jump they did in E22, anything else is possible now. Hirobumi was assassinated in 1909, so a further 2yr hop is nothing for a 3yr hop veteran like KES. ;):)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lilyphenix said:

What you say is likely, but we don't know for sure because... Hina asked her employee to make sure the Japanese officers got drunk. I was thinking she did this so they wouldn't notice suspicious activities, like maybe the waiters leaving the room and not coming back to serve them. She risked her life by shooting at Japanese soldiers in broad daylight when she was in the tramway earlier that day, and before she also saved the lives even of the Joseon people who betrayed her (one of her woman employees who ratted her out to her dad, for example). Because of instances like that it's hard for me to imagine her sacrificing the lives of innocent people.

And AS worked with her on this. If workers died, I'd say that they volunteered their death, sacrificed themselves, but were not made to do it, duped, or willingly killed by the Righteous Army...

For the innocent guests of the hotel I can't say for sure. I can see how Hina wouldn't risk arising suspicions by warning non-Japanese guests, but also... In the best possible scenario, after 3 years of claiming the Glory Hotel as their own (because they say Hina is a Japanese citizen), it is possible that all the rooms were entirely full of Japanese guests, maybe not just officers, but also the officers' guests (they could be innocents indeed)...

They should show this better because sometimes we see unimportant scenes or nothing to add to the story. These understatements are more uncomfortable than comfortable in many episodes. They are often misleading because they did not want to add a few scenes to the episode and put the action in a more sensible way. When I am able to understand a weak attempt to deceive viewers that AS and Hina may die, this blowing up the hotel has been poorly implemented.

• Like 3

Glorious morning! FYI, I would like to fix the some netflix subtitle mistake.

In Eugene's narration on NY train station, 

Dear Lord, Father of Joseph.

I'll devote the rest of my life( to this cause).

For each and every step I took...

I clung to a vain hope.

Just keep (her) alive.

Just for that reason alone,

I will go like the wind

Korean sentence tends not to have subject in it, but in this case her would be it by the context. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 9/16/2018 at 8:43 AM, mistergenie said:

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS RIDICULOUS TIME JUMP?  SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE ACTUAL FRAK?

RIGHT?!? 

I fully expected a time jump, since there s always one in these things, but I hoped that 6 months Ae-Shin was gone would be it. Nope. Okay, maybe he just goes to the US and then comes back? Nope. Gotta be three years, with no contact. 

Also, what he did wasn't treason, and treason doesn't get you three years in prison. But... let's ignore that.

10 hours ago, rubie said:

Captures: SE Daily

My Boss.. My Friend.. My Honor ..

... my actor wearing colored contact lenses....

No one's eyes are that color! Okay, maybe someone, but not him. I guess someone thought that unusually blue eyes would make him look more western?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ssh king said:

No preview. I saw the girls blown away by the blast. :sweatingbullets: 

I'm convinced that Ae-Shin will survive, although badly injured, and here will be a big scene where she opens her eyes and sees Eugene standing over her. ( I KNEW HE'D GO AWAY AND COME BACK!) Because this is a drama, they will still be madly in love with one another after all this time. There will finally be some physical contact between them.

As for Hina.... hhmmmm... she could be dead. Or Dong-Mae could realize that she's the one he loves. Or not. I have no idea. We're losing characters left and right here.

What happened to the hotel staff? Did they know to get out?

We won't see Hotaru again, unless she's suddenly Yoojo's woman.

Why did it take Dong-Mae three years to come back? 

Why is that girl still following "Young Master" around after all this time? And why is he still pining for Ae-Shin? Oh, right sorry, it's all about the unrequited love.

American men in those years rarely wore wedding rings, and they definitely didn't wear cute rings that matched their wives' rings. Couple rings weren't a thing in 1904.

Takashi using various people, including that woman who was probably his wife or something, as human shields. Oh my. His wife looked pissed off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, aurelionsol said:

They should show this better because sometimes we see unimportant scenes or nothing to add to the story. These understatements are more uncomfortable than comfortable in many episodes. They are often misleading because they did not want to add a few scenes to the episode and put the action in a more sensible way. When I am able to understand a weak attempt to deceive viewers that AS and Hina may die, this blowing up the hotel has been poorly implemented.

I hear you. I wonder how many scenes don't make it to the final cut...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, burningpotato said:

Takashi using various people, including that woman who was probably his wife or something, as human shields. 

This made me cringe. UGH he's despicable

I really hope there's a time jump and An Jeung-Wan is included in the drama. 

1 hour ago, lilyphenix said:

I hear you. I wonder how many scenes don't make it to the final cut...

They make many mistakes because an american officer (Felipe Arca) during the attack on the american legation gate is without rank, during the discussion with the consul he has the rank of Captain US Marine Corps :) 

• Like 1

Question, why AS only bandage DM's hand only, i mean he also got injured on his back :D.

I'm little bit surprise when he came up in the opium den, thankfully he's okay.

Anyway i'm confuse why EC sent to prison for 3 years and discharged just because he shot legation's window.

The actor who played Takashi Mori is really good. I mean i hated his character a lot lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I rewatched E22 and that 3 yr time jump rankled me again. It feels like the writer was more keen on incorporating historical events at the expense of the personal stories/journeys of the main characters - read Eugene - why else would he get stuck like a  rock in prison cell for three years, doing nothing to contribute to the story? Don't forget Dong Mae too - lying like a wasteman in an opium den in Manchuria .UGH!!!! What a waste of these two characters!! . For fans who have been watching purely for a fictionalized/ loosely based story on real events of that time, I don't think that the time jump and the fridging of Eugene (and DM) for three years was any problem at all. But for me (and maybe some other fans like me) who was/were watching for the personal element/facet of these fictional characters, it was quite jarring and disappointing.

@Preksha Shahal It can go either way but safe to go in fully expecting tragedy and a sad ending. That way, if we get something akin to a satisfying/happy conclusion, we can always be pleasantly surprised.

@q4q4 Another time jump? Be careful what you wish for because what if we flash forward to 1945? Eh? Would that do?  ;):)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1