Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

@rubie Look at the background for the mystery character to cameo in E22 - white people, a sign in English in the back - doesn't it look like he is in America? And the first pic is clearly cropped - there is someone standing beside him - could it be Eugene? Does this person end up helping Eugene go back to Joseon?

@charray Thanks for those lovely stills for tonight's episode.

Speaking of Eugene coming back to Joseon - I hope he comes back by the middle part or 2/3rd part of the episode and reunites with Ae Shin. We already have to wait for two weeks for the final two episodes so it would be a bummer if he arrives in Joseon at the very end of the episode. I hope to see a EC/AS reunion so that my wait for the final two episodes is at least a bit happy.

• Like 6

@rocher22 I so agree! Jokes aside, it took me up until this episode to realize that Hina and he are both swordman/swordwoman. They have the same love for the blade as a weapon of choice, just like Eugene and AS are great shooters/snipers. They're such a good fit for each other, and have demonstrated that they understand each other deeply without needing to say anything (thinking of when DM was arrested, beaten, etc. and she knew his state of mind and knew just what to do, and to say. DM, on the other hand, has also always known her unspoken pain, and been watching over in his understated way). My heart about melted when he asked if she wanted a piggy back, then broke to pieces when she burst into tears, on her knees, calling for her mom... :tears:

More on DM: I cracked up a bit when he saw Hina practice her fencing, as once again, he gave unsolicited advices to Hina on how she should live her life... It was pretty much the same speech he gave AS. 

Paused and rewinded several times to admire the many stunning visuals of episode 21. My heart is full of happiness (despite the tears). So many symbolic moments... 

Edited by lilyphenix
Added details.
  • Like 7

Translation by DDOBOJA

[Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 21

0003864820_001_20180915223402233.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun gives up on going to America..Remains by Kim Tae Ri's side

Nationwide rating for episode 21: 14.280% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+6452, -97] The cinematography that makes it feel as if you're watching a movie, the actors' raging, enthusiastic performance, the script and plot development that's deeply resonating and even the OST (soundtrack). I swear, this is really one of the best dramas....
↪ [+131, -3] The end where there's a two-shot of Eugene and Ae Shin raising their hands up keu~~
↪ [+149, -8] To me, Lee Byung Hun was just an actor who's good at acting but now he's all cool, sexy, and cute ㅜㅜ
↪ [+158, -0] The thing that's really sad is, it's a drama but, I'm sad because Joseon is weak....

2. [+3913, -55] My patriotism, that I didn't even know was there, was boiling while watching the drama ㅡㅡ Once more, I would like to thank our ancestors that were independence activists. It's so deafening and heart-aching that even during the scene where Eugene Choi and Go Ae Shin were taking a picture and laughing, I was about to cry ㅡㅡㅜ
↪ [+102, -0] The scene where they were at the photo studio and laughing was the saddest scene today, my heart was aching ㅠㅠ

3. [+3014, -45] The actors' acting is good too but director Lee Eung Book who makes the directing in every episode look like it's a movie is really amazing.. The final scenes' impact are always awesome!!.

4. [+2369, -134] Lee Byung Hun is really good at acting~ He's cool ㅜㅜ

5. [+1544, -44] It's the best drama

6. [+942, -5] When 'LOVE' turned into 'LIVE'.. it really hurt my heart. Seeing the preview, it looks like he's returning to Joseon, not as an American soldier but as a member of the Righteous Army.. Knowing the historical outcome, my heart really hurts.       

0000675129_001_20180916093737739.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Sports DongA via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Yoo Yeon Seok's eye gaze did everything…'Deafening + Choked up'

1. [+893, -2] Don't die in Japanㅡㅡㅡ

2. [+599, -10] Even after the drama ends, I don't think I'll be able to forget about Dong Mae for a long time ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ He's a really charming character + the combination of his acting abilities and visuals... I feel like if there's a spin-off about Dong Mae, it'll for sure hit daebak 

3. [+416, -7] How can I watch the drama from now on... I don't think I can watch because more will die.. ㅜㅠ I hope no one dies and everyone becomes happy..    

4. [+265, -10] My woman was stolen by Dong Mae ㅜㅜ She only looks at Dong Mae and doesn't even look at me ㅜㅜ

5. [+224, -7] What luck does Ae Shin have~~~ 

0001059318_001_20180916102432708.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (TV Report via Naver): Kim Nam Hee, the high quality actor 'Mr. Sunshine' discovered...Even his departure was intense

1. [+1408, -7] You outlived your wife for too long. Do you know this? You're really good at acting, let's meet again Kim Na Mi-san (t/n: In the original comment, the commenter wrote it in the way Kim Nam Hee speaks his Korean in the drama - it's hard to directly translate that pronunciation so I directly translated it into English)
↪ [+74, -1] How could he use his wife as a shield   
↪ [+36, -1] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+1200, -7] I feel like there's no big or small role. The issue is how much you're able to express it. Making each and every role come alive is up to the actor. There's no separate main character. The main character changes every episode. From King Gojong to Lord Go, Haman-dak and more, it's the best.

3. [+674, -13] Eugene~ this is yours, that was intense~ Kim Nam Hee-ssi, I hope do well in the futur

4. [+595, -7] When Takashi was escaping, he sent his son off to somewhere safe and seeing how he used his wife as a shield, I was honestly disgusted.. Because he's good at acting, I think that's why I'm cussing more ㅋ

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, lilyphenix said:

@rocher22 I so agree! Jokes aside, it took me up until this episode to realize that Hina and he are both swordman/swordwoman. They have the same love for the blade as a weapon of choice, just like Eugene and AS are great shooters/snipers. They're such a good fit for each other, and have demonstrated that they understand each other deeply without needing to say anything (thinking of when DM was arrested, beaten, etc. and she knew his state of mind and knew just what to do, and to say. DM, on the other hand, has also always known her unspoken pain, and been watching over in his understated way). My heart about melted when he asked if she wanted a piggy back, then broke to pieces when she burst into tears, on her knees, calling for her mom... :tears:

More on DM: I cracked up a bit when he saw Hina practice her fencing, as once again, he gave unsolicited advices to Hina on how she should live her life... It was pretty much the same speech he gave AS.  

Paused and rewinded several times to admire the many stunning visuals of episode 21. My heart is full of happiness (despite the tears). So many symbolic moments... 

It is a travesty that more time wasn't spent on building up the DM/HN relationship. It would have been good for DM's character growth.

Same here. I started rolling my eyes when he started his spiel. I was like: here we go again. does he ever learn?

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Such a colorful scene on the beach.

The blue sea,  white sand and  DM looking  gorgeous in

that plum colored kimono.

And Hina's turquoise hair ornament.

I liked the most when DM called Hina by her real name.

• Like 7

This is one of the best drama series I have ever seen.  I do not know the Korean language, so I am depending on the sub-titles, but really the characters, plot and cinematography are A1

Edited by giantsnowman
  • Like 5

Can we just time-jump to episode 21 instead? th_sad011.gif

Spoiler

Gunner Jang .. th_sad004.gif all alone by himself.. 

Spoiler

Who bombed Glory Hotel? Did HS and HN escape? th_sad005.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rubie said:

Can we just time-jump to episode 21 instead? th_sad011.gif

Hide contents

Gunner Jang .. th_sad004.gif all alone by himself.. 

Hide contents

Who bombed Glory Hotel? Did HS and HN escape? th_sad005.gif

Contact the writer of this drama. She seems an expert in radical time jumps.

Spoiler

He was alone but he went out a hero.

I think the bomb must have been placed by Ae Shin and/or her fellow RA members.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to take another look at that pic that was posted many, many pages ago, the one where Ae Shin is in Western clothes surrounded by two or three supposedly 'Japanese' soldiers (there's high probability that these soldiers are the three Joseon boys that Eugene mentored in Joseon military school). I don't know about you guys, but between the time jump and the dire situation of Joseon, I think, AS/EC fleeing to America is back on the table as a viable option. But AS is alone in that pic, so it could also mean a tragic end to EC.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

If, after all this heartbreak, separation and IMO, that utterly ridiculous time jump, they still give us a sorrowful conclusion or an ambiguous ending, then I am going to end up seriously resenting this drama.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Ok,  I don’t understand what happened at the consulate in Japan. The head of the consulate was not supportive of his compatriots. Also, the wife of an American should get the citizenship by marriage. Why this was not taken into account?  Why Eugene was convicted of treason? The judge didn’ t accept his explanation. Why? He was chased by gansters and so missed the ship. Who can said the opposite? The soldiers at the consulate saw the gangsters. It makes no sense to me.

• Sad 2

Just now, marfisa said:

Ok,  I don’t understand what happened at the consulate in Japan. The head of the consulate was not supportive of his compatriots. Also, the wife of an American should get the citizenship by marriage. Why this was not taken into account?  Why Eugene was convicted of treason? The judge didn’ t accept his explanation. Why? He was chased by gansters and so missed the ship. Who can said the opposite? The soldiers at the consulate saw the gangsters. It makes no sense to me.

Because he's the descendant of Joseon? Kyle tried to back him up......but to no avail...

• Sad 3

Episode 22 is a very intense episode with a time jump and so many major events happening. I am emotionally exhausted after watching it. Need more time to process and gather my thoughts before I can comment. It had been like that for the past few episodes which had been pretty intense.

But at least Eugene and Ae Shin had some sweet moments together. And after that, it was heartbreaking how they were separated indefinitely with no promise of when they can see each other again. It was also sad how Eugene went to jail for 3 years. He was also emotionally spent amd the ordeal took a toll on him and he looked visibly tired and weary. 

Reveal hidden contents

He was alone but he went out a hero.

I think the bomb must have been placed by Ae Shin and/or her fellow RA members.

Time to take another look at that pic that was posted many, many pages ago, the one where Ae Shin is in Western clothes surrounded by two or three supposedly 'Japanese' soldiers (there's high probability that these soldiers are the three Joseon boys that Eugene mentored in Joseon military school). I don't know about you guys, but between the time jump and the dire situation of Joseon, I think, AS/EC fleeing to America is back on the table as a viable option. But AS is alone in that pic, so it could also mean a tragic end to EC.

@mistergenie  I think this is the photo that you are talking about. Contrary to what we thought, writer sets her story beyond 1905 so it is 1907 where the Japanese soldiers had changed their uniforms now. Remember we spent so much time speculating about the soldiers uniforms. Yep, it looks like she is alone and going travelling somewhere.

Credit: @goblin_mrsunshine

And I like this new look of Eugene Choi, as much as that of Captain Eugene Choi when he is in his uniform.

55058DD4-9478-45C0-9A86-28EC3B6F4706_zps

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, charray said:

And I like this new look of Eugene Choi, as much as that of Captain Eugene Choi when he is in his uniform.

he is so handsome...so is 1907 and AS still has his ring...wow i hope they will meet again in ep 23...they so deserve some moments together!!!just two more ep???i already miss EC and AS!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

If, after all this heartbreak, separation and IMO, that utterly ridiculous time jump, they still give us a sorrowful conclusion or an ambiguous ending, then I am going to end up seriously resenting this drama.

@mistergenie I feel we're in the same boat as EC, how many times he has said he's resenting AS and yet falls harder for her :wub: We just love this show too much.

• Like 5