Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, blademan said:
:heartbreak: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

 

Damn, I don't like it. Deceiving or will it be a sad ending? :/

 

 

Maybe the president of the US will appear with the delegation, Kyle will be the commander and see them and recognise them in the square (prisoners). Maybe he will ask for their amnesty (gift) as part of the Japanese-American friendship. I don't see any other powerful option if they end up in prison. Maybe Emperor of Joseon help them (but he is weak and powerless? the last gesture on his part that they should live) because i still remember AeShin western dress and they dont shown it yet. Releasing such an preview 2 weeks before the end of the series is suspicious....

 

Edit:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those previews are bad :crazy:.. don't fall for them :blink:.. no no no..  they're evil..:vicx:

 

For the next 10 days :sweatingbullets:.. thinking positive ;).. and some nice fan art.. :wub:

 

Credit: @mmeflm

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LALALALA. Previews are sneaky. I refuse to panic. Most probably, this is the immediate aftermath of the Glory Hotel bombing. The women are seriously injured and may have been carried to safety by the men, hence the blood on the men - looks like Ae Shin's left shoulder is bloody, maybe she was carried by Eugene in his arms hence the blood on the upper front side of his shirt. The other possibility is a gunshot wound to the chest of Eugene but I don't want to dwell on that. Edit: Wait a minute, the Eugene from the preview is wearing a cap and a dark coat but when he witnessed the hotel blow up, he wasn't wearing a cap and his coat was greyish. ARGH!!  Inner panic returns!!

 

Hina, though injured, seems fine, given the circumstances. There is a very quick frame where she is leaning on somebody's arm(DM probably) and she is crying yet still gives one of her trademark little smiles with that adorable pout of her mouth.

 

BUT DANGNABBIT!! Why are my fears about Ae Shin being unconscious turning out to be right? WHY??? WHY?

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Soompiers!  Boy, that was...well that was...

 

Before I broach on the issue at hand, let me just shout out to @lilyphenix (and other GoT fans) on last night's wins at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards (despite no airings of the current season this year)!!!!!!:glasses:

Spoiler

Image result for 70th primetime emmy awards game

 

Now, if only dragons could bypass security or just crash the ceremony (or exist but oh well...):ph34r:

*Btw, Soompi moderators, please let me know if I should remove this spoiler post above; for I'm aware that it's unrelated to Mr. Sunshine.:sweatingbullets:

 

Now back on topic: I had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to catch up on Ep. 21 and 22 of Mr. Sunshine until now.  And...

 

2 hours ago, blademan said:
 

:bawling::heartbreak: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

 

Hi @blademan. Sorry to cut your post.  That basically sums up my reaction to both those episodes and the preview in your quoted post.:blink::tears::heartbreak:

 

As @mistergenie (and other Soompiers whom I forgot to mention) said, that 3-year time jump was quite a whiplash that, for me, I could barely savor those earnest, heartfelt moments between AS and EC earlier in Ep. 21 and 22.  And yes, EC's gradual renouncing of his identity/security as a U.S. citizen/soldier (i.e., refusal  follow official orders of returning to the U.S.) was going to backfire on him after he (rightfully :ph34r:) shot down Takeshi Mori and was court-martialed in the U.S. for taking such (necessary!) action- hence the 3-year separation from AS !!:triumph:  And don't get me started on those casualties and blow-up scare of Glory Hotel during the final moments of Ep. 22 (though, objectively, kudos to KES for not holding back on the tragic nature of Gunner Jang Seungu's death and those senseless carnage at the hand of the Japanese oppressors :tears:)!

 

That being said, it's not like AS and EC didn't discuss or acknowledge any of those immediate or long-term consequences of their action in fighting together for their future, be it for Joseon independence or their own happiness regardless of social background or location.  AS did blame herself for dragging EC down with her in her fight for Joseon independence that she has held on to long before she met him,.  And EC, as always, tried to reassure AS that he wouldn't have acted any differently despite knowing those dangers as long as he could ensure AS' livelihood while staying by her side for at least one more day, and that all they could do is lean on each other for now and not spent the rest of their lives worrying about what tomorrow would bring.

 

At this point, we Soompiers will have to take EC's "parting" (AS and EC will never part! AS will see to it! :cold_sweat:) advice and hold on until the airing of the final 2 episodes.  Ironically, I'm somewhat glad for the one-week delay, which should give us more time (there's never enough time for AS', EC's, and others' happy moments! Darn those time skips! :angry:) to prepare ourselves for the inevitable (apparently, not just the official Japanese annexation of Joseon Korea :pensive:).

 

But, just because it needs to be said, please be misleading with that preview!!  Hearts are shattering everywhere, and heads are spinning out of space over this...:skull:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...."The story is written with the backdrop of the 1900s to commemorate soldiers who've fought, but were not recognized for their service historically.... 

 

Am not familiar wth Korea/Japan history but as mr sunshine revolves around the early 1900s.. must be prepared for sad endings unless;

 

...Eugene "officially" marries Aeshin and sneaks her back to US as his wife... taking along the others close to them and the RA continues their struggles from there?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim Min Jae will make a special appearance in last episode. Another new character appearing in the last episode. Fans in Weibo are speculating if he will be the offspring of one of the characters maybe Ae Shin and Eugene or Hui Seong and the former noble lady that he met?

 

More details here

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, charray said:

Kim Min Jae will make a special appearance in last episode. Another new character appearing in the last episode. Fans in Weibo are speculating if he will be the offspring of one of the characters maybe Ae Shin and Eugene or Hui Seong and the former noble lady that he met?

 

More details here

 

At a glance (on twitter if not mistaken) I read that he might be appearing as the last Emperor of Korea, Sunjong(?).

 

Hope @mistymorning can enlighten us on this, thanks in advance!

 

There's also the good news of MR.SUNSHINE topping the list of most favorite Korean dramas in Gallup Korea (September?) survey via  Korean media article. Hopefully there will be updates in English on this, a soompi-news highlight would be wonderful but this drama doesn't seem like a good topic to write about.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, charray said:

Kim Min Jae will make a special appearance in last episode. Another new character appearing in the last episode. Fans in Aeibo are speculating if he will be the offspring of one of the characters maybe Ae Shin and Eugene or Hui Seong and the former noble lady that he met?

 

More details here

 

I will wager that it is EC/AS' kid.

 

I am beginning to think that Eugene will be a goner by the end. It is 1907 now and EC/AS reunite, maybe writer does another 2-3 yr jump to to incorporate total annexation, we find out they married and have a kid or AS is pregnant, stuff goes down, EC dies, AS escapes.

 

6 minutes ago, rubie said:

 

At a glance (on twitter if not mistaken) I read that he might be appearing as the last Emperor of Korea, Sunjong(?).

Hope @mistymorning can enlighten us on this, thanks in advance!

 

 

Ah! Just saw your post. I will take this rather than another flash forward far into the future showing a kid of EC/AS.

 

But I am wary of speculation about him being the last Emperor  - why? because the same speculation happened when that young actor was cast as one the young noblemen that Eugene sponsors/mentors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mistergenie Yeah.. can't say for certain about the last-episode cameos, because we really don't know about the drama.. even after 22 episodes.. like, what is really happening. :wacko: Kinda wish that they'd film it to a 30-episode drama since 50 would be too long. At least.. more of the (unaired) scenes could be shown to make the drama even better. Anyway.. it's just a silly wishful thinking. It'll be hard to let go..obviously.. th_sad010.gif

 

Looks like MR.SUNSHINE is no longer at No.1 of the Buzzworthy list from the Korean media updates posted late tonight. Well, good things doesn't last forever. Perhaps, by tomorrow we'll see the English news to read. -_-

 

Anyway, some light-hearted caricatures of the main characters in doggie version, illustrated by a cat lover. 176.gif

 

Art by psychofass

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... I keep thinking of that piece of land. 

Despite EC being a US citizen, he does own a land in Joseon Korea. I understand that he had asked for that mountain so that the servants who were buried there would have a place to rest, undisturbed, their graves unspoiled, but that still means that he has a place that is his.  Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US? (I don't know what to think here, because part of me isn't convinced AS and EC will leave Korea, despite the upcoming Japanese annexation...).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, rubie said:

 

At a glance (on twitter if not mistaken) I read that he might be appearing as the last Emperor of Korea, Sunjong(?).

 

Hope @mistymorning can enlighten us on this, thanks in advance!

Well, article doesn't say anything about his role. People are speculating whether it'll be last emperor, or grown-up Domi. :)

 

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

There's also the good news of MR.SUNSHINE topping the list of most favorite Korean dramas in Gallup Korea (September?) survey via  Korean media article. Hopefully there will be updates in English on this, a soompi-news highlight would be wonderful but this drama doesn't seem like a good topic to write about.

Yes, this is truly wonderful news!

 

And about the preview(for either later episode, or special), I trust no one. :ph34r:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lilyphenix said:

Hmm... I keep thinking of that piece of land. 

Despite EC being a US citizen, he does own a land in Joseon Korea. I understand that he had asked for that mountain so that the servants who were buried there would have a place to rest, undisturbed, their graves unspoiled, but that still means that he has a place that is his, and where the RA used to go to honor their fallen own, too.  Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US?

 

Are they not two different places? The mountain that Eugene got and the graveyard? I am sure they are different - when Eugene go it he had a Voice Over which said: Should I build a house here? Why would he think of building a house on a graveyard?

Also, the graves were unspoiled and peaceful even before Eugene knew of the place, so why would he ask for that place to keep it peaceful and unspoiled?

 

Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US?

Possible. Hopefully.

 

 

13 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Well, article doesn't say anything about his role. People are speculating whether it'll be last emperor, or grown-up Domi. :)

 

And about the preview(for either later episode, or special), I trust no one. :ph34r:

 

Surely they will not show any new scenes in the special episode, right? So it has from E23.

 

Ah! So we have, grown up DoMi, last Emperor and future kid of protagonists  as possibilities. One of them correct or all of them wrong.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

 

Are they not two different places? The mountain that Eugene got and the graveyard? I am sure they are different - when Eugene go tit he had a Voice Over which said: Should I build a house here? Why would he think of building a house on a graveyard?

Also, the graves were unspoiled and peaceful even before Eugene knew of the place, so why would he ask for that place to keep it peaceful and unspoiled?

The valley was the dumping ground for dead slaves, so that's where Eugene's parents are. Graveyard we saw where Hunter Jang's maintaining was for the dead from past wars(with US and Japan). They seem to near, but not the same place.

 

For that voice over, that's the valley. (And that voice-over and the scene made me cry.. every time).

 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

The valley was the dumping ground for dead slaves, so that's where Eugene's parents are. Graveyard we saw where Hunter Jang's maintaining was for the dead from past wars(with US and Japan). They seem to near, but not the same place.

 

For that voice over, that's the valley. (And that voice-over and the scene made me cry.. every time).

 

 

Ah! Thanks for the correction. That VO scene was indeed quite emotional.

@lilyphenix , my apologies. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, blademan said:

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

i feel the same!!!No way!!!Can't happen!!!

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mistergenie said:

 

Are they not two different places? The mountain that Eugene got and the graveyard? I am sure they are different - when Eugene go it he had a Voice Over which said: Should I build a house here? Why would he think of building a house on a graveyard?

Also, the graves were unspoiled and peaceful even before Eugene knew of the place, so why would he ask for that place to keep it peaceful and unspoiled?

 

Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US?

Possible. Hopefully.

 

 

Thank you for clarifying about EC's land. I was unsure about it, because he made that request soon after visiting his parents' unknown grave, I think. I did find it odd he'd build next to a graveyard. I'm curious to know where his land is located, though...

 

Just saw @mistymorning's reply as well. Thank you for helping understand the land situation better. :)  

@mistergenie, no apology needed, chingu. It was easy to get confused... ;) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bedifferent thank you for your help understanding that scene.  Kyle was an outstanding character, I will miss him. He often kept Eugene on the right path and was genuinely concerned he  would not become a ‘dangerous man’.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rubie said:

@mistergenie Yeah.. can't say for certain about the last-episode cameos, because we really don't know about the drama.. even after 22 episodes.. like, what is really happening. :wacko: Kinda wish that they'd film it to a 30-episode drama since 50 would be too long. At least.. more of the (unaired) scenes could be shown to make the drama even better. Anyway.. it's just a silly wishful thinking. It'll be hard to let go..obviously.. th_sad010.gif

 

Looks like MR.SUNSHINE is no longer at No.1 of the Buzzworthy list from the Korean media updates posted late tonight. Well, good things doesn't last forever. Perhaps, by tomorrow we'll see the English news to read. -_-

 

Anyway, some light-hearted caricatures of the main characters in doggie version, illustrated by a cat lover. 176.gif

 

Buzzworthy not a good gauge =P

Most of the viewers of Mr. Sunshine encompasses 30-40 of age. Most of them are busy with works instead of making fuss online. hehe

Viewership rating = Everything!!

  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The flour proposal was one unexpected scene. :wub: Simply beautiful & meaningful scene, very nicely presented. Though not quite original, the shoe scene (ep16) is another bittersweet beautiful moment shared by the couple. I think.. I hope.. there will be a kiss scene in ep23.. just not 'planned'.. as usually expected.

 

Source: Lovcat Bijoux

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...