Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Translation by DDOBOJA

[Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 22

0003865387_001_20180916230913339.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun ♥ Kim Tae Ri, separated for three years..Choi Moo Sung dies

Nationwide rating for episode 22: 16.588% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+12970, -151] My life drama was 'Signal' but 'Mr. Sunshine' is really.. a drama where it's not enough to describe it as a life drama and that feeling makes you emotional - I hope this drama is exported to a lot of foreign countries so that it can expose what kind of things Japan did 

2. [+9327, -79] Wow.. When he said, "I'm Ahn Chang Ho" I seriously got chills all over my body.. ㅠㅠ Today's episode was really sad in many ways ㅠㅠㅠ it's really crazy, ah it's so sad seriously 
↪ [+380, -3] When the hotel blew up at the end, the directing was insane
↪ [+274, -1] "I'm also one of them"
↪ [+144, -1] Ahn Chang Ho ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+6186, -83] Our writer-nim who immediately killed off the villain and not cooly.. Seriously, with today's episode, I was able to feel writer Kim Eun Sook's intention to show the pain of our history that it was really sad..     

4. [+5861, -42] It hasn't even been 100 years since Korea became independent from Japan. We can't ever forget their wrongdoings. The members of the Righteous Army are younger than this era's current soldiers... Imagine how scared they were at that young age when their country was already taken from them and they couldn't see the future.. But because we had individuals like them who risked their lives and fought, isn't that why we have today's South Korea? I really couldn't hold back tears with today's episode of 'Mr. Sunshine'. No, there's no reason to hold back tears. For the Righteous Army that fought.. Instead of comfort, I'm expressing it with these trivial tears and gratitude. Thank you very much. I am so proud. Long live Korean independence!!

5. [+4939, -114] I'm going crazy - because they're showing what exactly would've happened in history, I'm getting more mad. Starting from tomorrow, even if it's just my family, I'm going to boycott Japanese products

6. [+2002, -28] Let's not go to Nami Island!!! Amongst writer Kim Eun Sook's works, this drama is the most complete, each and every directing, each and every line, Lee Byung Hun, Kim Tae Ri, Kim Min Jung, Yoo Yeon Seok, Byun Yo Han, and a lot of the supporting actors are really perfect. I wish many people would watch the drama but.. I'm really sad it's a cable drama. It's to the point where I wish this drama was a weekend drama that had 50 episodes.. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ Watching this drama after watching a makjang drama is really healing. For the people who haven't watched, make sure to download it and watch it!!!! This is seriously a movie.      
↪ [+179, -0] From what I know, the owner of Nami Island is the descendant of a chinilpa (t/n: chinilpa(s) are basically Korean people who sold their country. While other Koreans were suffering because of being colonized by Japan, chinilpas and their families lived perfectly fine and most still do - most of them are still wealthy)
↪ [+156, -0] Nami Island belongs to a chinilpa descendant. It's not the country's property but their personal property so all the revenue goes to the chinilpa descendant, it's to the point where they receive revenue every day from just sitting, they're living and eating quite well. Because of the drama 'Winter Sonata', they earned a lot of money. 
↪ [+216, -0] Descendants of a chinilpa are the owners of Nami Island and because their citizenship isn't Korean, they don't pay any taxes for the revenue and it goes all to them. Many people don't know about this 

2018091701001389300109092_20180916223827356.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): "See you" Lee Byung Hun x Kim Tae Ri x Yoo Yeon Seok x Kim Min Jung meet again in Joseon

1. [+488, -1] I would like to once again thank the Righteous Army and ancestors who passed away while fighting for the country ㅠㅠ

2. [+257, -4] For two hours, my heart was suffocating and my throat was in pain because it was burning... Just watching is hard but the people in that era... 

3. [+209, -0] The fact that this is our history is really sad.... Thank you very much to the Righteous Army who fought for the country ㅠㅠ

4. [+140, -3] The Japanese bastards and the Seven Jeongmi Traitors were really annoying and thank you very much to the Righteous Army (t/n: The Seven Jeongmi Traitors are: Ye Wanyong, Song Byung Joon, Lee Byung Moo, Go Young Hee, Jo Joong Eung, Lee Jae Gon, Im Sun Joon)

5. [+102, -2] I respect Ahn Chang Ho ㅠ  

I literally got chills when Park Jung Min revealed to Lee Byung Hun that he's Dosan Ahn Chang Ho ㅠㅠ
I recommend y'all to check out Infinite Challenge's special episode dedicated to Dosan Ahn Chang Ho ㅠㅠ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, blademan said:
:heartbreak: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

Damn, I don't like it. Deceiving or will it be a sad ending? :/

Maybe the president of the US will appear with the delegation, Kyle will be the commander and see them and recognise them in the square (prisoners). Maybe he will ask for their amnesty (gift) as part of the Japanese-American friendship. I don't see any other powerful option if they end up in prison. Maybe Emperor of Joseon help them (but he is weak and powerless? the last gesture on his part that they should live) because i still remember AeShin western dress and they dont shown it yet. Releasing such an preview 2 weeks before the end of the series is suspicious....

Edit:

• Like 2

Those previews are bad :crazy:.. don't fall for them :blink:.. no no no..  they're evil..:vicx:

For the next 10 days :sweatingbullets:.. thinking positive ;).. and some nice fan art.. :wub:

Credit: @mmeflm

• Like 6

LALALALA. Previews are sneaky. I refuse to panic. Most probably, this is the immediate aftermath of the Glory Hotel bombing. The women are seriously injured and may have been carried to safety by the men, hence the blood on the men - looks like Ae Shin's left shoulder is bloody, maybe she was carried by Eugene in his arms hence the blood on the upper front side of his shirt. The other possibility is a gunshot wound to the chest of Eugene but I don't want to dwell on that. Edit: Wait a minute, the Eugene from the preview is wearing a cap and a dark coat but when he witnessed the hotel blow up, he wasn't wearing a cap and his coat was greyish. ARGH!!  Inner panic returns!!

Hina, though injured, seems fine, given the circumstances. There is a very quick frame where she is leaning on somebody's arm(DM probably) and she is crying yet still gives one of her trademark little smiles with that adorable pout of her mouth.

BUT DANGNABBIT!! Why are my fears about Ae Shin being unconscious turning out to be right? WHY??? WHY?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Hi Soompiers!  Boy, that was...well that was...

Before I broach on the issue at hand, let me just shout out to @lilyphenix (and other GoT fans) on last night's wins at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards (despite no airings of the current season this year)!!!!!!:glasses:

Spoiler

Image result for 70th primetime emmy awards game

Now, if only dragons could bypass security or just crash the ceremony (or exist but oh well...):ph34r:

*Btw, Soompi moderators, please let me know if I should remove this spoiler post above; for I'm aware that it's unrelated to Mr. Sunshine.:sweatingbullets:

Now back on topic: I had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to catch up on Ep. 21 and 22 of Mr. Sunshine until now.  And...

2 hours ago, blademan said:

:bawling::heartbreak: I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

Hi @blademan. Sorry to cut your post.  That basically sums up my reaction to both those episodes and the preview in your quoted post.:blink::tears::heartbreak:

As @mistergenie (and other Soompiers whom I forgot to mention) said, that 3-year time jump was quite a whiplash that, for me, I could barely savor those earnest, heartfelt moments between AS and EC earlier in Ep. 21 and 22.  And yes, EC's gradual renouncing of his identity/security as a U.S. citizen/soldier (i.e., refusal  follow official orders of returning to the U.S.) was going to backfire on him after he (rightfully :ph34r:) shot down Takeshi Mori and was court-martialed in the U.S. for taking such (necessary!) action- hence the 3-year separation from AS !!:triumph:  And don't get me started on those casualties and blow-up scare of Glory Hotel during the final moments of Ep. 22 (though, objectively, kudos to KES for not holding back on the tragic nature of Gunner Jang Seungu's death and those senseless carnage at the hand of the Japanese oppressors :tears:)!

That being said, it's not like AS and EC didn't discuss or acknowledge any of those immediate or long-term consequences of their action in fighting together for their future, be it for Joseon independence or their own happiness regardless of social background or location.  AS did blame herself for dragging EC down with her in her fight for Joseon independence that she has held on to long before she met him,.  And EC, as always, tried to reassure AS that he wouldn't have acted any differently despite knowing those dangers as long as he could ensure AS' livelihood while staying by her side for at least one more day, and that all they could do is lean on each other for now and not spent the rest of their lives worrying about what tomorrow would bring.

At this point, we Soompiers will have to take EC's "parting" (AS and EC will never part! AS will see to it! :cold_sweat:) advice and hold on until the airing of the final 2 episodes.  Ironically, I'm somewhat glad for the one-week delay, which should give us more time (there's never enough time for AS', EC's, and others' happy moments! Darn those time skips! :angry:) to prepare ourselves for the inevitable (apparently, not just the official Japanese annexation of Joseon Korea :pensive:).

But, just because it needs to be said, please be misleading with that preview!!  Hearts are shattering everywhere, and heads are spinning out of space over this...:skull:

• Like 6

...."The story is written with the backdrop of the 1900s to commemorate soldiers who've fought, but were not recognized for their service historically.... 

Am not familiar wth Korea/Japan history but as mr sunshine revolves around the early 1900s.. must be prepared for sad endings unless;

...Eugene "officially" marries Aeshin and sneaks her back to US as his wife... taking along the others close to them and the RA continues their struggles from there?

• Like 3

Kim Min Jae will make a special appearance in last episode. Another new character appearing in the last episode. Fans in Weibo are speculating if he will be the offspring of one of the characters maybe Ae Shin and Eugene or Hui Seong and the former noble lady that he met?

More details here

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, charray said:

Kim Min Jae will make a special appearance in last episode. Another new character appearing in the last episode. Fans in Weibo are speculating if he will be the offspring of one of the characters maybe Ae Shin and Eugene or Hui Seong and the former noble lady that he met?

More details here

At a glance (on twitter if not mistaken) I read that he might be appearing as the last Emperor of Korea, Sunjong(?).

Hope @mistymorning can enlighten us on this, thanks in advance!

There's also the good news of MR.SUNSHINE topping the list of most favorite Korean dramas in Gallup Korea (September?) survey via  Korean media article. Hopefully there will be updates in English on this, a soompi-news highlight would be wonderful but this drama doesn't seem like a good topic to write about.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, charray said:

Kim Min Jae will make a special appearance in last episode. Another new character appearing in the last episode. Fans in Aeibo are speculating if he will be the offspring of one of the characters maybe Ae Shin and Eugene or Hui Seong and the former noble lady that he met?

More details here

I will wager that it is EC/AS' kid.

I am beginning to think that Eugene will be a goner by the end. It is 1907 now and EC/AS reunite, maybe writer does another 2-3 yr jump to to incorporate total annexation, we find out they married and have a kid or AS is pregnant, stuff goes down, EC dies, AS escapes.

6 minutes ago, rubie said:

At a glance (on twitter if not mistaken) I read that he might be appearing as the last Emperor of Korea, Sunjong(?).

Ah! Just saw your post. I will take this rather than another flash forward far into the future showing a kid of EC/AS.

But I am wary of speculation about him being the last Emperor  - why? because the same speculation happened when that young actor was cast as one the young noblemen that Eugene sponsors/mentors.

• Like 1

@mistergenie Yeah.. can't say for certain about the last-episode cameos, because we really don't know about the drama.. even after 22 episodes.. like, what is really happening. :wacko: Kinda wish that they'd film it to a 30-episode drama since 50 would be too long. At least.. more of the (unaired) scenes could be shown to make the drama even better. Anyway.. it's just a silly wishful thinking. It'll be hard to let go..obviously.. th_sad010.gif

Looks like MR.SUNSHINE is no longer at No.1 of the Buzzworthy list from the Korean media updates posted late tonight. Well, good things doesn't last forever. Perhaps, by tomorrow we'll see the English news to read. -_-

Anyway, some light-hearted caricatures of the main characters in doggie version, illustrated by a cat lover. 176.gif

Art by psychofass

• Like 8

Hmm... I keep thinking of that piece of land. 

Despite EC being a US citizen, he does own a land in Joseon Korea. I understand that he had asked for that mountain so that the servants who were buried there would have a place to rest, undisturbed, their graves unspoiled, but that still means that he has a place that is his.  Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US? (I don't know what to think here, because part of me isn't convinced AS and EC will leave Korea, despite the upcoming Japanese annexation...).

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

Well, article doesn't say anything about his role. People are speculating whether it'll be last emperor, or grown-up Domi. :)

46 minutes ago, rubie said:

There's also the good news of MR.SUNSHINE topping the list of most favorite Korean dramas in Gallup Korea (September?) survey via  Korean media article. Hopefully there will be updates in English on this, a soompi-news highlight would be wonderful but this drama doesn't seem like a good topic to write about.

Yes, this is truly wonderful news!

And about the preview(for either later episode, or special), I trust no one. :ph34r:

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, lilyphenix said:

Hmm... I keep thinking of that piece of land. 

Despite EC being a US citizen, he does own a land in Joseon Korea. I understand that he had asked for that mountain so that the servants who were buried there would have a place to rest, undisturbed, their graves unspoiled, but that still means that he has a place that is his, and where the RA used to go to honor their fallen own, too.  Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US?

Are they not two different places? The mountain that Eugene got and the graveyard? I am sure they are different - when Eugene go it he had a Voice Over which said: Should I build a house here? Why would he think of building a house on a graveyard?

Also, the graves were unspoiled and peaceful even before Eugene knew of the place, so why would he ask for that place to keep it peaceful and unspoiled?

Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US?

Possible. Hopefully.

13 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Well, article doesn't say anything about his role. People are speculating whether it'll be last emperor, or grown-up Domi. :)

And about the preview(for either later episode, or special), I trust no one. :ph34r:

Surely they will not show any new scenes in the special episode, right? So it has from E23.

Ah! So we have, grown up DoMi, last Emperor and future kid of protagonists  as possibilities. One of them correct or all of them wrong.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Are they not two different places? The mountain that Eugene got and the graveyard? I am sure they are different - when Eugene go tit he had a Voice Over which said: Should I build a house here? Why would he think of building a house on a graveyard?

Also, the graves were unspoiled and peaceful even before Eugene knew of the place, so why would he ask for that place to keep it peaceful and unspoiled?

The valley was the dumping ground for dead slaves, so that's where Eugene's parents are. Graveyard we saw where Hunter Jang's maintaining was for the dead from past wars(with US and Japan). They seem to near, but not the same place.

For that voice over, that's the valley. (And that voice-over and the scene made me cry.. every time).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

The valley was the dumping ground for dead slaves, so that's where Eugene's parents are. Graveyard we saw where Hunter Jang's maintaining was for the dead from past wars(with US and Japan). They seem to near, but not the same place.

For that voice over, that's the valley. (And that voice-over and the scene made me cry.. every time).

Ah! Thanks for the correction. That VO scene was indeed quite emotional.

@lilyphenix , my apologies. :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, blademan said:

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT ANYMORE!!!!

i feel the same!!!No way!!!Can't happen!!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mistergenie said:

Are they not two different places? The mountain that Eugene got and the graveyard? I am sure they are different - when Eugene go it he had a Voice Over which said: Should I build a house here? Why would he think of building a house on a graveyard?

Is there a possibility that that's where they will hide for some time... maybe before going back to the US?

Possible. Hopefully.

Thank you for clarifying about EC's land. I was unsure about it, because he made that request soon after visiting his parents' unknown grave, I think. I did find it odd he'd build next to a graveyard. I'm curious to know where his land is located, though...

Just saw @mistymorning's reply as well. Thank you for helping understand the land situation better. :)  

@mistergenie, no apology needed, chingu. It was easy to get confused... ;) 

• Like 3

@bedifferent thank you for your help understanding that scene.  Kyle was an outstanding character, I will miss him. He often kept Eugene on the right path and was genuinely concerned he  would not become a ‘dangerous man’.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1