Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

@saturn  thanks for the correction, I was wrong.

I am wondering if Hee-Sung is fictionalized for some historical newspaperman.  He received the camera gift from Eugene to record history.

There was a question earlier about Ae-Shin’s US identity.  Marrying Eugene doesn’t automatically give her citizenship.  Eugene has to file petition for a visa (which was the forged document) so she can enter US as a permanent resident.  She would have to wait and apply for citizenship a few years later.

Regarding the treason part, he shot the American Japan consulate window.  As a military man, shooting your own government building violates all kinds of codes, including the possibility of declaring war against your own country (treason).  He did give reasons for his actions which at the time, something he knew and depended on being arrested to save both of them.  

• Like 11

A great sacrifice by the business-minded HN for Joseon.. it's like the center point of MR.SUNSHINE, farewell GLORY HOTEL you've served many so well and now becomes the perfect point of retaliation.

It may have been blown up but we can build one of our own.. ^_^

Clip: OXFORD Block

• Like 5

@bedifferent thank you for the explanation. Still, I think the wife of an American (put aside the forged document) should be protected even without the visa that she would get later.  As a wife I think she was entitled to some rights  anyway, and she was in clear danger. I recall Kyle said something I did not hear clearly about these people (the head of consulate and maybe the judge) when he met again Eugene. What did he say?

• Like 8

Oh my!!! I almost fell off my chair and thought this day would never come! HS got a marriage proposal?! The girl is so bold, I'm dying of laughter! This is great! :lol:

Edited to add: and she's offering him a flower that will never wilt. I just forgave the writer right now for all the heartbreaks she gave me! :w00t:

Spoiler

"This flower will never wilt."

aka "My love for you will never falter." 

• Like 6

September 16, 2018

'Mr. Sunshine’ ratings winner for Saturday night

Hit drama series “Mr. Sunshine” came out on top of Saturday night’s ratings war, with viewership averaging 14.3 percent.

Saturday night ratings figures from Nielsen Korea showed tvN’s Saturday-Sunday nighttime show “Mr. Sunshine,” starring Lee Byung-hun, had peak ratings of 16.1 percent, beating all other programs on air, including MBC’s “Hide and Seek” and SBS’ “Let Me Introduce Her.”

On Saturday’s episode, viewers watched Eugene Choi and Go Ae-shin travel to Japan together after Choi proposed to Go with a ring.

(tvN)

Go also tells Choi she has held feelings for her for a while, but the two briefly part ways in Japan before assassinating Takashi Mori, a high-ranking Japanese military official, who posed a great threat to Joseon’s independent future.

While the two were successful in the mission to kill Mori, they were soon discovered and found themselves on the run. 

The episode ends with the two arriving at the US legation in Japan and surrounded by armed US government officials, drumming up anticipation for the next episode. 

The 22nd episode of the show will air Sunday at 9 p.m., with the last two episodes scheduled to air a week later.

By Yim Hyun-su (hyunsu@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Im actually still pissed at Eugene losing his military portfolio.........

If i have to choose btw AS and Eugene still being a marine corps Captain, i would choose the latter.......!! 

6a3ecdfcgy1fvb7thtm2fg20k008ie89.gif

• Like 1

Righteous Army killed innocent guests, workers Glory Hotel and probably almost killed AS and Hina... How do you think EC/DM react? Who gave the order? It is obvious leader Eun San (RA not that much Righteous). 

Hina (spy of the emperor, they destroyed so good place for get informations) and AS (defendor Joseon) almost die at the hands of their own companions. He will be angry that his wife is hiding a marriage (passport - AeShin Choi, ring) for 3 years (customs). Joseon has not changed at all and everyone wants to keep the status quo (RA?) or benefit like traitors. 

She wanted to protect her companions when he wanted to convince her in Japan and they did something like that in the act of revenge.

If I remember correctly in 1907 RA had alliance and they take over Hanseong and probably new leader (fictional) will be Eugene as military man. He killed Takashi Mori and didnt hurt his wife (he could right? kill the shield and Mori). Probably Eun San give Eugene the leadership after very big argue in base.

Edit:

"In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi-In Seong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon."

They will show one big victory and that's it?

I wonder who survives and who will die.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

Righteous Army killed innocent guests, workers Glory Hotel and probably almost killed AS and Hina... How do you think EC/DM react? Who give the order? It is obvious leader Eun San (RA not that much Righteous). 

Hina (spy of the emperor, they destroyed so good place for get informations) and AS (defendor Joseon) almost die at the hands of their own companions. He gets angry that his wife is hiding a marriage (passport - AeShin Choi, ring) for 3 years (customs). Joseon has not changed at all and everyone wants to keep the status quo (RA?) or benefit like traitors. 

She wanted to protect her companions when he wanted to convince her in Japan and they did something like that in the act of revenge.

If I remember correctly in 1907 RA had alliance and they take over Hanseong and probably new leader (fictional) will be Eugene as military man. He killed Takashi Mori and didnt hurt his wife (he could right? kill the shield and Mori). Probably Eun San give Eugene the leadership after very big argue in base.

Edit:

"In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi-In Seong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon."

They will show one big victory and that's it?

I wonder who survives and who will die.

We haven't been shown the complete sequence of events. I am betting that the opening 10 min of E23 will show how the bomb/s were set,who set them and what really happened to the innocent guests. Obviously, the blowing up of Glory Hotel with Japanese soldiers inside is the RA's act of vengeance but I am pretty sure that Kudo Hina must have been taken into confidence and all the guests must have been evacuated beforehand. Remember how KN was making sure that all the Japanese soldiers were thoroughly drunk? It would have been easy to evacuate the guests without raising suspicions.

In 1907, the Righteous Army under the command of Yi-In Seong massed 10,000 troops to liberate Seoul and defeat the Japanese. The Army came within 12 km of Seoul but could not withstand the Japanese counter-offensive. The Righteous Army was no match for two infantry divisions of 20,000 Japanese soldiers backed by warships moored near Inchon."

Ah! thanks for this historical tidbit. They did show the disbandment of the Joseon army and the massacre that followed so they could also touch on this event too.

Unable to fight the Japanese army head-on, the Righteous Army split into small bands of partisans to carry on the War of Liberation in China, Siberia and the Baekdu Mountains in Korea. The Japanese troops first quashed the Peasant Army and then disbanded the remained of the government army. Many of the surviving guerrilla and anti-Japanese government troops fled to Manchuria and Siberia and carried on their fight.

Fleeing to live another day and carry on the fight from Manchuria - I wish the show ends like this rather than all/some of our favorite characters dying.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, marfisa said:

@bedifferent thank you for the explanation. Still, I think the wife of an American (put aside the forged document) should be protected even without the visa that she would get later.  As a wife I think she was entitled to some rights  anyway, and she was in clear danger. I recall Kyle said something I did not hear clearly about these people (the head of consulate and maybe the judge) when he met again Eugene. What did he say?

It is a situation where Japan is at war with Joseon so the US legation in Japan doesn’t want to interfere for risk of putting US/Japan relationship at strain.  Think of it in the same way as Mori and Eugene both cannot kill each other in Joseon because it will put the countries into difficult situation.  Ae Shin is not yet a citizen so doesn’t have all the rights like Eugene so it is a tough call.  She deserves some protection, yes, but Eugene was not supposed to be passing through  to begin with.

Sorry which part?  There was a muffling “my fourth sentence, best one yet”?  Think that’s what he said???  Referring to his poem?! lol

• Like 5

2 hours ago, aurelionsol said:

Righteous Army killed innocent guests, workers Glory Hotel and probably almost killed AS and Hina...

What you say is likely, but we don't know for sure because... Hina asked her employee to make sure the Japanese officers got drunk. I was thinking she did this so they wouldn't notice suspicious activities, like maybe the waiters leaving the room and not coming back to serve them. She risked her life by shooting at Japanese soldiers in broad daylight when she was in the tramway earlier that day, and before she also saved the lives even of the Joseon people who betrayed her (one of her woman employees who ratted her out to her dad, for example). Because of instances like that it's hard for me to imagine her sacrificing the lives of innocent people.

And AS worked with her on this. If workers died, I'd say that they volunteered their death, sacrificed themselves, but were not made to do it, duped, or willingly killed by the Righteous Army...

For the innocent guests of the hotel I can't say for sure. I can see how Hina wouldn't risk arising suspicions by warning non-Japanese guests, but also... In the best possible scenario, after 3 years of claiming the Glory Hotel as their own (because they say Hina is a Japanese citizen), it is possible that all the rooms were entirely full of Japanese guests, maybe not just officers, but also the officers' guests (they could be innocents indeed)...

• Like 5

Back on Soompi ..

September 17, 2018

“Mr. Sunshine” Tops Most Buzzworthy Dramas List As “100 Days My Prince” Makes Strong Debut

Source: Soompi by by jeeelim5

âMr. Sunshineâ Tops Most Buzzworthy Dramas List As â100 Days My Princeâ Makes Strong Debut

tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” has maintained its top spots for Most Buzzworthy Drama while “100 Days My Prince” has made a strong debut on the list in second place!

On September 17, the lists for Most Buzzworthy dramas and actors were released for the second week of September. “Mr. Sunshine” topped the list for its seventh consecutive week while tvN’s “100 Days My Prince” made its debut on the list by coming in at second place. They were followed by JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty,” which had been in second place for six consecutive weeks.

Check out the list of dramas below:

1. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” (15.27 percent)
2. tvN’s “100 Days My Prince” (12.06 percent)
3. JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” (9.08 percent)
4. OCN’s “The Guest” (6.85 percent)
5. OCN’s “Voice 2” (6.65 percent)
6. tvN’s “Familiar Wife” (6.49 percent)
7. SBS’s “30 but 17” (5.88 percent)
8. JTBC’s “Life” (5.73 percent)
9. KBS’s “My Only One” (3.62 percent)
10. MBC’s “Time” (2.68 percent)

For actors, Kim Tae Ri maintained her top spot and was joined in the Top 10 list by “Mr. Sunshine” co-stars Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Yeon Seok in third and seventh place respectively. “100 Days My Prince” stars EXO’s D.O. and Nam Ji Hyun debuted on the list in second place and sixth place respectively.

Check out the full list below!

1. Kim Tae Ri (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
2. EXO’s D.O. (tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”)
3. Lee Byung Hun (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
4. Cha Eun Woo (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
5. Im Soo Hyang (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
6. Nam Ji Hyun (tvN’s “100 Days My Prince”)
7. Yoo Yeon Seok (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
8. Han Ji Min (tvN’s “Familiar Wife”)
9. Shin Hye Sun (SBS’s “30 but 17”)
10. Ji Sung (tvN’s “Familiar Wife”)

Source (1) (2)

Credit: Chungmuro Crumb

• Like 4

So sorry if this was mentioned in the past but does anyone know which year Mr. Sunshine is supposed to end at? Was it 1907 or was it never specified? Just wondering bc I thought it would be interesting if they include the assassination of Ito Hirobumi

Also - did they mention what happened to Lord Jeung-Mun after he was rescued? I might have missed it

• Like 5

@bedifferent I am referring to the part in which Eugene asks Kyle why he was his friend, as he did fight the other American for him. Kyle replies it was because he (Eugene) is a good soldier, because ......, and because he (Kyle) believes in God.  I missed what he said in beetwen, I dont know if I have understood really what he said, but seemed something about the consul in Japan.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, q4q4 said:

So sorry if this was mentioned in the past but does anyone know which year Mr. Sunshine is supposed to end at? Was it 1907 or was it never specified? Just wondering bc I thought it would be interesting if they include the assassination of Ito Hirobumi

Also - did they mention what happened to Lord Jeung-Mun after he was rescued? I might have missed it

LJM went to Shanghai with Song Yeong.

Previously, we were under the false impression that the show's timeline was up to 1905. BUT, given the huge 3 yr jump they did in E22, anything else is possible now. Hirobumi was assassinated in 1909, so a further 2yr hop is nothing for a 3yr hop veteran like KES. ;):)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lilyphenix said:

What you say is likely, but we don't know for sure because... Hina asked her employee to make sure the Japanese officers got drunk. I was thinking she did this so they wouldn't notice suspicious activities, like maybe the waiters leaving the room and not coming back to serve them. She risked her life by shooting at Japanese soldiers in broad daylight when she was in the tramway earlier that day, and before she also saved the lives even of the Joseon people who betrayed her (one of her woman employees who ratted her out to her dad, for example). Because of instances like that it's hard for me to imagine her sacrificing the lives of innocent people.

And AS worked with her on this. If workers died, I'd say that they volunteered their death, sacrificed themselves, but were not made to do it, duped, or willingly killed by the Righteous Army...

For the innocent guests of the hotel I can't say for sure. I can see how Hina wouldn't risk arising suspicions by warning non-Japanese guests, but also... In the best possible scenario, after 3 years of claiming the Glory Hotel as their own (because they say Hina is a Japanese citizen), it is possible that all the rooms were entirely full of Japanese guests, maybe not just officers, but also the officers' guests (they could be innocents indeed)...

They should show this better because sometimes we see unimportant scenes or nothing to add to the story. These understatements are more uncomfortable than comfortable in many episodes. They are often misleading because they did not want to add a few scenes to the episode and put the action in a more sensible way. When I am able to understand a weak attempt to deceive viewers that AS and Hina may die, this blowing up the hotel has been poorly implemented.

• Like 3

Glorious morning! FYI, I would like to fix the some netflix subtitle mistake.

In Eugene's narration on NY train station, 

Dear Lord, Father of Joseph.

I'll devote the rest of my life( to this cause).

For each and every step I took...

I clung to a vain hope.

Just keep (her) alive.

Just for that reason alone,

I will go like the wind

Korean sentence tends not to have subject in it, but in this case her would be it by the context. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2