Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

@mistergenie I think we've seen enough previews and now it's finally Saturday, MR.SUNSHINE Day! We can only hope that those clips shown all week will not be all that we'll see later. Exciting.. yes! Distressing.. not so much! :sweatingbullets: Well, maybe a little. 

Happy mode.. +ve mood.. Happy MR.SUNSHINE Day! mrs.jpg

Caricature by Ruro

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, rubie said:

Well.. we could see it this way.. the drama doesn't end too soon on the 22-23/9 weekend. It's unavoidable because on Chuseok, there'll be special festive programs and movies screened on tv. 

Netflix has the remaining episodes on 9/15+16 and 9/29+30. 

tvN will air a special director cut Chuseok episode "Guns, Glory, Sad Endings" of unaired scenes, previews of E23-24, reviews of E1-22, and highlights on 9/22 9pm.  They also plan to air reruns during Chuseok holidays (9/24-9/26).

On 9/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, SeReNiTy said:

Geographically speaking, it does make more sense for him to travel to SF. However, I think KES, PD, or production team went for the visual route and wanted to showcase the iconic Brooklyn Bridge (construction period: 1869 - 1883), which fits better for the storyline's time period. The Golden Gate Bridge in SF didn't exist until the 1930's, and there would not have been any iconic landmark to show.

Tere was someone in DB who mentioned about the inaccurate portrayal of the bridge here, because it took 14 years to complete and would not look nearly completed when Eugene arrived in 1871. :lol:

The Brooklyn Bridge is gorgeous, and Eugene's silhouette is a bonus! :w00t:

As for the other locations that you've mentioned, I think it's best to treat this drama as a fiction and just enjoy it as is, without having to wrack our brains out. ;)

Actually, Mr Sunshine opens with the Battle of Ganghwa of 1871 when Prince Gojong was underage and the regent was in charge.  The timeline is as follows

1871    Battle of Ganghwa.  The Asiatic squadron warships were stationed in the New York, Boston, Baltimore Navy Yards so it makes sense that they returned to the East Coast passing by Brooklyn bridge.   The warships left Korea to China to guard the region before returning to US.  I think this is when Eugene came along as a 6 year old stowaway as the ships returned to their yards sometimes after this, may not be 1871.

1876    Treaty of Ganghwa. 

1869 - 1883  Brooklyn bridge finished in 1883 but it was several years along when Eugene saw it.  The picture is a little farther along, here's one in 1872.

https://untappedcities.com/2013/05/27/vintage-photos-brooklyn-bridge/construction-brooklyn-bridge-new-york-untapped-cities/

1900-1901?  Eugene came back to Joseon in his late 30s.  The silhouette of the finished bridge behind him is correct.

The production has other issues and inaccuracies but as far as I know, it's not too far off.  Could be wrong with Eugene's date a little.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This drama is so bad for my health, and now they have to prolong the anxiety for another 2 weeks.  At least I am getting 1 weekend back to do the things  I am supposed to do since July :) while waiting for the epic ending (sad ending...not).  Thanks all for your posts. I’ve really enjoyed all your POV and insights. 

I am curious what other dramas do you watch in addition to Mr. Sunshine?  I started 100 day prince but so far it has not really charmed me yet.  I need to distract myself with something else after this week, otherwise I will keep thinking about what-ifs and sad ending. 

Edited by seabysea18
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

On 9/13/2018 at 5:37 AM, mistergenie said:

At this point, considering the direction of the drama, America ain't happening. It only ever was a futile hope.

The bare optimism that I can scrounge at this point, is holding a teeny tiny bit of  hope for some kind of future for EC/AS in Shanghai. Otherwise, all available signs portend doom(for the character/s) and gloom (for us , the viewers).

I don't know. I think that moment between them by the globe foreshadowed a journey. She said that America is 2-and-a-half handspans away, so it would take a long time to go there and come back. He said it was only one-and-a-half handspans for him, so he could travel more quickly. I think she won't go, but he will, but then he'll quickly return. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rubie said:

*Picks up table to be flipped again*  :P

Well.. we could see it this way.. the drama doesn't end too soon on the 22-23/9 weekend. It's unavoidable because on Chuseok, there'll be special festive programs and movies screened on tv. MR.SUNSHINE wasn't affected by the Asian Games before, unlike other dramas, it was not postponed although ratings dropped a bit. So.. this the time to test the 'patience' of viewers.. in the cruelest way possible. :lol:

Credit: kimjihyeon_21

That would explain why Netflix isn't showing that there are two more episodes at the end. I'm annoyed- the 22nd is my birthday! Guess I'll just have to spend that time rewatching previous episodes...

• Like 1

I have a question about the girl we met in the first or second episodes- the one who told Ae-Shin that she's studying English "for love", which prompted Ae-Shin's whole "let's do love" thing. We've seen her studying with Ae-Shin since then, but there's no mention of what prompted her "for love" comment. I figured it meant that she had a man who was an English speaker, but we've seen no evidence of that. Without her having someone who told her about "love", and thus prompted her to study the language, it seems like a weird and awkward way to get Ae-Shin to talk about love, and to go to the school. Was there anything about her that I missed? It seems like the writers set something up, and then jut dropped it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, burningpotato said:

I don't know. I think that moment between them by the globe foreshadowed a journey. She said that America is 2-and-a-half handspans away, so it would take a long time to go there and come back. He said it was only one-and-a-half handspans for him, so he could travel more quickly. I think she won't go, but he will, but then he'll quickly return. 

I also thought the same. That there is a possibility that Eugene will return to America and return to Joseon again. The only thing is how long is it before he returns and where is Ae Shin in all this? Looks like the last OST to be released is the one below by Hwang Chi Yeul. It had been played twice and both times, it was at a loved one’s funeral. I am dreading the next time this is played. But it is a beautiful song.

37 minutes ago, burningpotato said:

That would explain why Netflix isn't showing that there are two more episodes at the end. I'm annoyed- the 22nd is my birthday! Guess I'll just have to spend that time rewatching previous episodes...

Aigoo, you should just go out and celebrate your birthday that day.

But who am I to say, I think I am worse since I have been staying home and avoided going out on Sat and Sun ever since Mr Sunshine started airing.

3 hours ago, seabysea18 said:

I am curious what other dramas do you watch in addition to Mr. Sunshine?  I started 100 day prince but so far it has not really charmed me yet.  I need to distract myself with something else after this week, otherwise I will keep thinking about what-ifs and sad ending. 

I am only watching Mr Sunshine and nothing else. Being busy in real life and also kinda lost interest in watching dramas these days, I don’t watch much nowadays. Mr Sunshine is special and had caught my interest ever since Kim Eun Seok talked about it last year. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, charray said:

I also thought the same. That there is a possibility that Eugene will return to America and return to Joseon again. The only thing is how long is it before he returns and where is Ae Shin in all this? Looks like the last OST to be released is the one below by Hwang Chi Yeul. It had been played twice and both times, it was at a loved one’s funeral. I am dreading the next time this is played.

Hi sorry to cut your post.  HCY fans are worried too, that his OST has been played during "sending offs" for beautiful souls. Hopefully the next time the song is played, it will be for a scene depicting separation, rather than death.

This clip has Chinese subs for the lyrics:

In the comments section of the video you linked to, a commenter posted Korean lyrics:

누군가 물었소 무얼 그리 찾는지 황량한 이 들판에 찾는이라도 있소 그댄 본 적 있소 세상이 다 밝아진 어떤이의 웃음을 나는 본 적 있소 그 누군가의 마음도 어느 누구의 눈물도 모두 씻어내 줄 아름다운 미소를 알고있소 어찌 그댈 잊으오 어찌 그대를 잊소 매일같이 불어오는 바람마다 당신의 이름이 들려오는데 어찌 잊으오 아아 어찌 잊으오 숨을 쉬는 모든 순간에

Using papago translator :

Someone asked.
What are you looking for?
I'm looking for something in this desolate field.

I've seen him.
bright
I've seen someone smile.

I can't imagine how anyone's mind
No one's tears
I know a beautiful smile to wash all of them off.

How can I forget you?
How can I forget you?
with every wind blowing
I can hear your name.
How can I forget
Oh, I can't forget.
at every breath
I call your name everyday
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Takashi in Eugene's room? Still looking for the music box or the owner(s) of the music box? Obviously, he's pretty obsessed with both. <_< But it may be that he sensed AS was there?

Source: tvN Drama // OSEN ++

ms305.jpg

• Like 5

@burningpotato @charray  When I said going to America ain't going to happen I meant it for Ae Shin. I do agree with both of you that there's a very high probability of Eugene going back to America after this Japan mission.Heck, I am not even sure he will accompany AS to Shanghai - have a feeling they will part ways in Japan. The time period covering this drama is up to 1905 and it is currently Feb/March 1904 in the drama - so another separation, another time jump is a definite possibility.

Thanks for those pics. Does this confrontation happen immediately after Ae Shin leaves? Maybe. But it could also be part of another unrelated scene much later on in the episode.

@rubie

• Like 4

Translation: DDOBOJA

[Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 19 

201809082128107953984_20180908215831_01_20180908223251465.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Herald POP via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Tae Ri saves Byun Yo Han's life

Nationwide rating for episode 19: 14.114% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+6576, -64] Today's episode was really daebak, it feels like I came out from watching a really fun movie
↪ [+339, -9] Was it fun for you? My heart was falling apart

2. [+6491, -64] I now know why writer Kim Eun Sook wrote a historical drama. The wrongdoings of the Rising Sun flag that you keep seeing in the drama. She's trying to let it be known by exporting [the drama] to a lot of countries. Today's episode was really hurtful, sad, painful, infuriating, and even more emotions.. It's really frustrating and tears are coming out. (t/n: With the sentence "The wrongdoings of the Rising Sun flag", the commenter is talking about Japan and their wrongdoings)

3. [+3405, -51] Why is no one talking about Seo Yoo Jung dying.. it's so sad ㅠㅠ

4. [+3031, -31] I feel like they did even worse than that.. Even with the comfort women.. This is why I don't want to get close to Japan.. 

5. [+2550, -36] No but did Haman-daek really die? ㅜㅜㅜㅡㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ I really want to rip apart Lee Wan Ik and the Japanese guy who freaking sucks at Korean ㅜㅜ

0003579604_001_20180909063053119.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (news1 via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Death after death…Kim Tae Ri needs to live

1. [+1112, -18] I cried while seeing Haman-daek standing up to them while holding a rock but collapsing with one shot of a bullet because that's the image of our grass roots during that era. There was a time where they didn't put Korea-Japan issues in dramas because they thought it wouldn't be exported.. I feel like there isn't a greater history book than this.. Writer Kim Eun Sook is amazing. 

2. [+259, -10] Haman-daek don't die ㅠㅠㅠ

3. [+187, -4] This is a fun drama that really, really makes you cry, it's sad that this was the reality of our country's past but currently, it's true that the drama is fun ㅠㅠ Daehan Minguk hwaiting, our country hwaiting~~~

4. [+177, -9] Whether it's distorted or not, you have to see it as a big flow

5. [+111, -6] Haman-daek certainly lives. I hope ㅜㅜ 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, rubie said:

Takashi in Eugene's room? Still looking for the music box or the owner(s) of the music box? Obviously, he's pretty obsessed with both. <_< But it may be that he sensed AS was there?

Now i can say that my theory is right T.Mori had a man crush on E.C, :D, he looks like a neglected lover confronting his ex :D

• LOL 3

Translation: DDOBOJA

[Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 20

0003861104_001_20180909223741486.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Tae Ri kills Kim Eui Sung and starts revenge..Tells Lee Byung Hun, "Let's go to America"

Nationwide rating for episode 20: 16.500% (cr. Nielsen Korea)

1. [+14581, -124] If you got mad at the Lee Wan Ik character while watching the drama and knew about the motives for the actions of Ye Wan Yong, a notorious traitor who really sold off Joseon and got money from Japan - we need to be aware of the fact that his descendants Lee Jang Moo (the past president of Seoul National University, the current chairman of the board of trustees at KAIST), Lee Gun Moo (the past director of the Cultural Heritage Administration) are still eating and living well in the land of Korea. This is a country where the descendants of chinilpas eat and live well while the descendants of the Righteous Army die in a foreign country without a name (t/n: chinilpa(s) are basically Korean people who sold their country. While other Koreans were suffering because of being colonized by Japan, chinilpas and their families lived perfectly fine and most still do - most of them are still wealthy)

2. [+4279, -75] Among the villains these days, Mori Takashi's ability to richard simmons me off is the best... I wish he meets the most cruel ending 

3. [+2873, -76] You all gave yourself trouble while watching it live. Now go rest. I'm telling you because I think you might've forgotten but tomorrow is Monday. I'm sorry for bringing up these sad words. 

4. [+1985, -56] I was thinking that the father from Japan was going to help Dong Mae but.. he was a bastard ㅜㅜ

2018091101000798500062261_20180910132323359.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' 70 minutes flies by...Lee Byung Hun x Kim Tae Ri becomes more risky

1. [+1651, -42] This is a drama I hope many people will watch..

2. [+906,- 7] The death of elder Go Sa Hong really hurt my heart. Because he's so good at acting, tears kept falling. As expected, you can't fool years of experience. I would like to thank all the effort he put into acting.~~

3. [+689, -1] The words: "You can reclaim what's been taken from you but there's no going back when you give something away", keeps on running through my head~

4. [+522, -14] The fact that this drama's ratings are lower than 'Mom's Diary - My Ugly Duckling' ㅜㅜ This is really a must-watch drama... 

5. [+479, -19] This is forreal a masterpiece drama!! A drama that comes out once every 10 years!!! 

6. [+141, -2] The acupuncture grandpa who pretended not to see Kim Tae Ri... The nurse who let them know about the back road... They're allies 

A LOVE CONFESSION + A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL + A RING + A NEW NAME !!! :w00t:

ms308a.jpg

ms308b.jpg

Captures: OSEN

The scene of AS and EC in the train coach that we saw so many times in the preview. It's really a beautiful scene as she put the ring on his finger. Simply beautiful. :wub: :tears: :wub:

• Like 5

I have been taking a sneak peek at the instagram spoilers and some of the scenes are already making me cry. Such amazing scenes of love but shrouded in pain and heartbreak. Ugh!! My heart is going to go through a full range of upheavals when I watch later with subs.

Edit: Dear Show, you yourself take a look at this freaking amazing emotional scene between Dong Mae and Hina and ponder on why you wasted so much of Dong Mae's screen time on his AS obsession when it could have easily gone into developing DM/KN more.

Edit 2: This episode is a testament to how any show can be elevated from good to great just by having the main leads interact more and get into situations together.

• Like 10

Episode 22 Preview (clip: goblin_mrsunshine)

Big Spoiler Alert!

15sec

Spoiler

30sec

Spoiler

Not sure what happened.. everything went so fast. Some honeymoon that was for Mr. & Mrs. Choi. 

Contrary to what's been discussed before, EC never wanted to abandon/lose his military/consul position but there're consequences to his actions with AS. Will they find out that he killed TM?

One thing seems sure.. Eugene became like his father-in-law..

• Like 6

@rubie

Spoiler

hope he doesn't end up like his father in law.

Back to the extended 30 sec promo,

In the longer promo, we see one set of scenes in the beginning where Dong Mae is battling some yakuza - obviously he is trying to save Ae Shin and in the latter part of the promo we see Ae Shin, with a gun in her hands, hiding from the yakuza men behind a counter/desk of sorts and someone in Western clothes jumps over that counter - could that be Eugene? W

• Like 3