[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

4 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Fully agree with you about the intentionally misleading previews.  They have been clever like that from the start. It's nice to see that the promo dept. is putting in an effort to keep viewers on the tenterhooks. 

I just wish they give use more text promo too! and more BTS's!

• Like 4

I can't remember if I shared these pictures before or if I just linked them. But some of you may remember it from episode seven when DM, HS, and EG all gather outside the hotel. At the time, lots of people (including myself) were saying that it was likely wishful thinking on Dong Mae's part because of what the other two were picturing. But then today's episode (13) aired, and I noticed that Dong Mae only took one coin from Ae Shin after they talked. You can see him turning the coin over near the end of the episode. That made me think of the scene pictured below, which now gives me hope that maybe it wasn't wishful thinking and is instead a glimpse of the future? A future where they are on good enough terms that he returns the coin to her because he no longer wants to keep her in debt to him. 

tumblr_pclen4LZh21qm5w5wo1_540.jpg

tumblr_pclen4LZh21qm5w5wo2_540.jpg

On a side note, if this is a glimpse of the future, that means the other two scenes are as well and I'm just ASAKSDOFKSE at the possibilities. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, luna11 said:

I can't remember if I shared these pictures before or if I just linked them. But some of you may remember it from episode seven when DM, HS, and EG all gather outside the hotel. At the time, lots of people (including myself) were saying that it was likely wishful thinking on Dong Mae's part because of what the other two were picturing. But then today's episode (13) aired, and I noticed that Dong Mae only took one coin from Ae Shin after they talked. You can see him turning the coin over near the end of the episode. That made me think of the scene pictured below, which now gives me hope that maybe it wasn't wishful thinking and is instead a glimpse of the future? A future where they are on good enough terms that he returns the coin to her because he no longer wants to keep her in debt to him. 

On a side note, if this is a glimpse of the future, that means the other two scenes are as well and I'm just ASAKSDOFKSE at the possibilities. 

Yes! I was quite excited about that scene of Ae Shin returning money she owed to Dong Mae and he accepting one coin from Ae Shin. I had the same thoughts as you.

Other than that, I think that day also settled their relationship - that it is a one sided relationship on his part and he will be on her side protecting her whether she wants it or not.

And I agree that means the other 2 scenes are possible glimpses of the future too. 

I really like the heart to heart talk that Ae Shin and Eugene had at the beach although there is no kiss or hug which Eugene supporters are lamenting about. Where Ae Shin mentioned that she realised she never knew or experienced many things before like sound of waves, eating canned food etc and that there is an ocean of possibilities out there that she never imagine before. And that this trip was the furthest away from home that she has been and that she would like to go further than the sea. I am interpreting her words to mean that she is starting to harbour futile hopes for a future for herself that includes him in it that she had never previously thought is possible. To me, it hinted at the possibility of a future where she follows him to America.

Given that Kim Eun Seok used this plot device in Goblin, she might had done the same by inserting the ending of Eugene and Ae Shin in America into episode 7. :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets:

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, luna11 said:

I agree with you that it is kind of a glimpse of the future: he made his dream come true.

I see the scenes differently. In DM's dream in episode 7, he still takes money from her. Given the last episode, we understand why he keeps AS in debt to him, namely to see her. In my view, the last episode made it clear how sad/tragic DM dream was. Even when DM dreamt about being together with AS, he did not expect anything more than AS visiting him to pay him money. His dream shows that DM fully realizes how hopeless his love is.

I was also wondering whether all the dreams in episode 7 were sad. For example, Eugene looks from afar to an AS in western clothes. Now we know that there are customs that go against them being together. Eugene was from the beginning aware of these customs, so what he dreams is for AS to live in a peaceful modernized country (Korea), while he watches her from afar.  Again, his dream shows that he does not have hopes for their relationship. So I am wondering whether Eugene would also make his sad dream true.

• Like 9

@tzupi  That's a very good point in your interpretation. I went back to watch the full sequence in episode 7 and it does look like he's taking the coin instead of returning it so it's more likely that this is one of their future monthly meetings and not my original hope. Her face is also very closed off in that brief moment so I suspect their "business" relationship does not change much going forward. This also makes me sad but in a completely different way now. .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

@charray Assuming that it is a glimpse of the future, and she does go to America with Eugene, I keep wondering how that will work story wise. She's been all about the Rebel cause for ten+ years, so for her to abandon Joseon takes away from what we liked about her resolve in the first place. I know love makes you do crazy things, and I do want to see her struggle with the idea of running away with him and just being able to be happy without worrying about class differences but if she really did that, would we still be able to call her our heroine? Especially with the Japanese occupation just 6-8 years away? 

• Like 7

Tollgate polls! if you haven't voted already, please do visit the events section under Home > soompi info > events

based on members nominations, there are 5 polls. look for these threads within the events section here :

tollgate poll 1 - villains

tollgate poll 2 - dramas

tollgate poll 3 - side characters

tollgate poll 4 - OTP, leads

tollgate poll 5 - misc

the costumes of this drama was one of the nominations under tollgate poll 5 - misc. if you think it is amazing, do visit and cast your vote!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luna11 said:

I noticed that Dong Mae only took one coin from Ae Shin after they talked. You can see him turning the coin over near the end of the episode. That made me think of the scene pictured below, which now gives me hope that maybe it wasn't wishful thinking and is instead a glimpse of the future? A future where they are on good enough terms that he returns the coin to her because he no longer wants to keep her in debt to him. 

Yeah, I noticed the coin.  It’s possibly be the last time they meet before circumstances bring Ae Shin to despise Dong Mae again.  Preview seems to say he’ll be forced to frame or hurt Lord Go, her grandfather.  There’s too much sadness around Dong Mae that I cannot help but feel he’s dreaming of the future encounters that will never come.

Same feeling with HS’s bleak ending, protecting Ae Shin till the end.  Eugene’s future is much brighter.  I also noticed the blue porcelain behind him so do think his future will be tied to Eun San’s prized pottery.

Hina’s desperate attempt to find her mom (in the hundreds of fliers she commissioned) is the only thing that can break her strong shell.  Dong Mae silently shares this overwhelming feeling of a child missing her parentin the bar.  He sat with back turned to give Hina her privacy.  KMJ cries beautifully.

• Like 5

Episode 13, The scenes that got me all teary were the ones on AS’s grandfather.  I really cannot stand Wan Ik’s and Ae Sun’s husband.  He is such a jerk. I wish something terrible will happen to both of them.   He got almost all the important people in Josean to work for him :rage:

What can I say about HS, he lied so that he can keep his promise to AS, how honourable.  It is hard not to like him now.  I am hoping that AS’s grandfather will not be in any danger.   Anxiously waiting for tonight’s episode.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, luna11 said:

@charray Assuming that it is a glimpse of the future, and she does go to America with Eugene, I keep wondering how that will work story wise. She's been all about the Rebel cause for ten+ years, so for her to abandon Joseon takes away from what we liked about her resolve in the first place. I know love makes you do crazy things, and I do want to see her struggle with the idea of running away with him and just being able to be happy without worrying about class differences but if she really did that, would we still be able to call her our heroine? Especially with the Japanese occupation just 6-8 years away? 

I am thinking that Eugene will become a leader of Righteous Army fighting for Joseon along with Ae Shin as one of the likely scenarios. They may end up losing a major battle or be exposed after a major operation and therefore would be in grave danger and need to be a rescue plan for them to escape. Just like the Righteous Army had concocted a rescue plan for So Ae, the geisha to escape when she was exposed. They shipped her off to Shanghai. Eugene and Ae Shin can continue supporting the Righteous Army in America maybe by financing them through some business they had in America like sale of Eun San’s ceramics. 

Another scenario that I was thinking of is Eugene will remain an American marine captain and not be part of Righteous Army but helping them from time to time. He will leave Joseon together with American Legation when the Japanese occupy Korea but Ae Shin will remain in Joseon to continue her fight. Eugene will return many years later after independence of Korea when he is very old to see her grave and those of others in the Righteous Army. And he remembers them perhaps in a book that he writes and publishes or something. 

But both scenarios are just my speculations only so let’s continue watching to see the story that Kim Eun Seok wants to tell.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ahpheng said:
RE: C-Strp

I am pretty sure that is not goodbye. It is Eugene coming to her house to meet her grandfather (in the course of his investigation). If you remember E4, Hui Seong first arrives at Ae Shin's house walking along the same pathway that Eugene is on in the above pics.  That pathway is a bit elevated  - remember how Hui Seong glimpsed Ae Shin while on it and he stood on tip toe to get a better look? 

Regarding the pics of Dong Mae all tied up - are those Joseon soldiers? Or Japanese? Because the moustached man on the left in one the pictures looks like Minister Hayashi's man. 

Assuming that it is a glimpse of the future, and she does go to America with Eugene, I keep wondering how that will work story wise. She's been all about the Rebel cause for ten+ years, so for her to abandon Joseon takes away from what we liked about her resolve in the first place. I know love makes you do crazy things, and I do want to see her struggle with the idea of running away with him and just being able to be happy without worrying about class differences but if she really did that, would we still be able to call her our heroine? Especially with the Japanese occupation just 6-8 years away? 

@luna11 How does it make Ae Shin any less of a heroine if she thought about herself for once? The only life she has known is that of a fighter and her wishes have always been to burn like a  flame and wilt. For the first time in her life, she is daring to think of how her life can take another path - a path involving life with Eugene away from Joseon - and there is nothing wrong in that, it does not make her lesser. In fact, it makes her a normal human being with normal desires and wishes instead of a zealot who only longs to burn bright and end. She isn't the Joan of Arc of Joseon that you would demand nothing but sacrifice from her. There are tons of others fighting for the cause.  so it's not like the fate of Joseon rests on her shoulders alone.

• Like 6

@Ahpheng @mistergenie I think it's more like greeting each other with sad eyes. By now, Ae Shin would have heard about Joseph. Wished AS would tell EC about LWI.. but I suppose Eugene probably have an inkling after what Gwan Soo told him, about being "asked" to share information from the legation.

Clearer individual pics

Photos: tvN

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So i'm confuse with the conversation between DM and AS at judo place. 

What AS asked to him was clear, why he was stalking her and insisting her to pay one coin at a time so that he can meet her. But i don't understand DM's answer to her questions. 

Well i just concluded AS knew his feelings to her 

• Like 5