[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, charray said:
 Credit: @goblin_mrsunshine

Interesting. What do you think happens in the scene above? Why is Ae Shin in western dressing? Speculation time......

Have a feeling it is Shanghai. She is there as some part of the plan of the RA? After all they had that postal map of Shanghai with them - the pieces that they stole from Eugene's office.  Could she have gone there to oversee the transfer of weapons that Seong, one of the RA members, is going to buy in Shanghai with the King's money?  My burning question is : No way she went alone. So ,who went with her? Eugene? Kim Hui Seong? Gunner Jang?  I would be over the moon if it is Eugene accompanying her on her mission.  Edit: Just in case and to cover all bases, I went and rewatched that flash forward scene shown at the end of E7 - in that one, Ae Shin is wearing a different printed dress - so this picture from today is definitely not part of that scene. 

Correct me if I a wrong but the uniforms of the Japanese soldiers shown so far in the show have been dark bluish in colour, right? These uniforms of the two soldiers in the Ae Shin picture are of a completely different colour. Could they be Chinese soldiers? 

3 hours ago, inna75 said:

RE: Your write up of that highly emotional scene in Eugene's hotel room

Read all of it. Very nuanced thoughts, diving deep into the subtext and context of the scene.  Kudos!! 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Have a feeling it is Shanghai. She is there as some part of the plan of the RA? After all they had that postal map of Shanghai with them - the pieces that they stole from Eugene's office.  Could she have gone there to oversee the transfer of weapons that Seong, one of the RA members, is going to buy in Shanghai with the King's money?  My burning question is : No way she went alone. So ,who went with her? Eugene? Kim Hui Seong? Gunner Jang?  I would be over the moon if it is Eugene accompanying her on her mission. 

Read all of it. Very nuanced thoughts, diving deep into the subtext and context of the scene.  Kudos!! 

Military uniform looks more like from warlords period 1918-1928 in China

This is not military uniform from late Qing dynasty... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the scene of Ae Shin in western dressing that I posted should be in future episodes and not the next 2 episodes. And I think those 2 soldiers are Japanese soldiers so the scene could be either in Japan or in Joseon after Japanese occupied Korea. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, charray said:

I think the scene of Ae Shin in western dressing that I posted should be in future episodes and not the next 2 episodes. And I think those 2 soldiers are Japanese soldiers so the scene could be either in Japan or in Joseon after Japanese occupied Korea. 

Yes. That's how the uniform looks around 1926 and later IIWW (imperial uniforms) but i dont have data when Japan changed their military uniforms.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, charray said:

Hmm. maybe it is indeed from the final episodes of the show. In the future, maybe Ae Shin returns to Joseon from America to fight again? Maybe Eugene is dead at this point?  Or he is still alive and is accompanying her? 

28 minutes ago, aurelionsol said:

Yes. That's how the uniform looks around 1926 and later (imperial uniforms) but i dont have data when Japan changed their military uniforms.

@aurelionsol  I managed to goggle and find some info on Japanese soldiers uniforms. Below is an extract:

Imperial Japanese Army uniforms tended to reflect the uniforms of those countries who were the principal advisors to the Imperial Japanese Army at the time.

1867 blue uniform

The initial uniform colour was dark blue, following the contemporary French style and resembling that of the Union Army of the American Civil War.

Soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army during the Satsuma Rebellion (Garrison of Kumamoto, 1877).

1886 blue uniform

Resembling the Imperial German ArmyM1842/M1856 dunkelblau uniform, the dark blue single-breasted tunic had a low standing collar and no pockets. It was worn with matching straight trousers and a kepi (red for Imperial Guard) on which was worn a brass five point star. After the Franco-Prussian War the kepi was replaced with a flat topped peaked cap and the tunic collar became higher. Pockets were added to officers' tunics late in its issue.

The dark blue uniform adopted under the 1886 Regulations was retained with only minor modifications until 1905. As such it was worn during the early months of the Russo-Japanese War. A khaki summer uniform had been introduced shortly before the outbreak of war and this became general issue for front line infantry during June–August 1904. Cavalry and artillery were subsequently issued with the new khaki uniform but some second line units continued to wear dark blue until the end of the War in September 1905. During the winter of 1904-05 the heavier blue uniforms were again worn but often under the loose fitting summer khaki drill for camouflage. The white canvas leggings continued to be worn without darkening, until after the war.

Following the Russo-Japanese War the Japanese Army adopted khaki for all occasions - the first major army to discard colourful parade dress. Only the cavalry squadrons of the Imperial Guard and officers of all branches were authorized to retain their coloured uniforms for certain ceremonial and social occasions, until 1939.

1904 enlisted khaki uniform

IJA General Kuroki and his Chief of Staff wearing the 1904 uniform during the Battle of Liaoyang.

This was basically a khaki cotton version of the 1886 uniform with a shorter jacket. First appearing as a fatigue dress in 1900, it was being issued as a hot-weather uniform in 1904 to replace the white summer clothing described above. The practical advantages of khaki drill over dark blue became obvious in the opening stages of the Russo-Japanese War and it became general issue for troops on active service as stocks became available. In 1906 a khaki serge cold-weather uniform and greatcoat had also been adopted.

Imperial Japanese army Type 5 uniform as worn during World War I on the expedition to Kiaochow.

The 1911 uniform replaced the blue uniform with the exceptions noted above. The 1911 khaki colored version (called khaki in the west the colour was actually a yellowish-brown called Ochre) of the blue uniform. The new flat topped peaked cap had a red band, the tunic collar had red swallow tailed gorget patches and the shoulders had red shoulder bars (see photograph opposite) to indicate rank. The uniform was produced in wool for winter and cotton for summer wear.

There are more information here:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Uniforms_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army

So the time period should be 1904 or after Japan occupy Joseon in 1911, I think.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, charray said:

@aurelionsol  I managed to goggle and find some info on Japanese soldiers uniforms. 

1904 enlisted khaki uniform

This was basically a khaki cotton version of the 1886 uniform with a shorter jacket. First appearing as a fatigue dress in 1900, it was being issued as a hot-weather uniform in 1904 to replace the white summer clothing described above. The practical advantages of khaki drill over dark blue became obvious in the opening stages of the Russo-Japanese War and it became general issue for troops on active service as stocks became available. In 1906 a khaki serge cold-weather uniform and greatcoat had also been adopted.

You can find out more information here:

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Uniforms_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army

So the time period should be around 1904 or 1905 thereabouts, I think.

Hmm. Great find. Thanks. Currently it is early 1903 or Dec 1902 in the show's timeline, right?  Wonder what happens between 1903 and 1904 to make Ae Shin change so much. Is she taking a page from the Kudo Hina's  book of dressing sense?  Or is she coming back to Joseon from a foreign country? 

Ah! Saw your edit about the 1911 uniforms. Thanks again for the info. I wonder if the show will follow the exact timeline of these uniforms or it will take creative liberties. But if it is 1911, then the theory of Ae shin returning from a foreign country starts to hold weight. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Hmm. Great find. Thanks. Currently it is early 1903 or Dec 1902 in the show's timeline, right?  Wonder what happens between 1903 and 1904 to make Ae Shin change so much. Is she taking a page from the Kudo Hina's  book of dressing sense?  Or is she coming back to Joseon from a foreign country? 

Ah! Saw your edit about the 1911 uniforms. Thanks again for the info. I wonder if the show will follow the exact timeline of these uniforms or it will take creative liberties. But if it is 1911, then the theory of Ae shin returning from a foreign country starts to hold weight. 

Looking at Ae Shin’s western dressing, it seem to be of less elaborate style from the dresses worn by Hina in the current time period, I think the time period of that scene should be 1911 or after instead of 1904 or 1905. Understand current time period should be winter at the end of 1902 or early 1903.

So your speculation that maybe Ae Shin returns to Joseon from a foreign country could be it. In that case, there is likely to be a time skip.

And the million dollar question will be where is Eugene? Hope he is still alive and is with Ae Shin?

• Like 5

LOL @Ahpheng, Eugene and Ae Shin make a pretty charming couple.:wub: While his pawnshop buddies are just amazing cool guys. :lol: EC may have made some big bad enemies in Joseon but he has some of the best buddies as well. He's really not alone but being connected to him might endanger them instead. However, can't wait to see how they will get through the hardship and work together for the same cause.

The magic of the Blue Screen! :o:P + behind-the-scene effects from the earlier episodes.

Photos: Hi Supstagram
DigitalIDEA VFX Supervisor

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@rubie Eugene indeed has made many great friends in Joseon incl the interpreter, Do Mi and Su Mi, not forgetting the 'box sitters' :D. I am amazed at these actors when they stare at the blue screen, their eyes look like they were truly enjoying the view but in reality , just a blue screen. 

• Like 11

Fans of Fong Mae will be happy to know that Yoo Yeon Seok is still filming so his character Dong Mae is still alive and fighting despite all the talks of tragic ending for him. Sehun of EXO sent coffee truck support to Yoo Yeon Seok on 22 Aug.

Ctedit: @superjuman IG

• Like 10

Thoughts Speculation

I have better solution.

It seems to me that they will return together to the city - AS and EC. He will touch her hat (magic words can be dangerous in public place), they smile and part for a while. Grandpa see this from afar and start suspect something (their relationship). Servant will reveal the truth? Grandpa must finds out sooner or later.

So, they are indeed still filming MR.SUNSHINE and so far, all the main characters are still alive, well & kicking. With 10 episodes to go, who knows what will happen next. Even though filming started really early (capturing all the majestic scenery), the drama is still in production. Hope everyone stays healthy and happy! th_fightpanda.gif

August 22, 2018

EXO’s Sehun Sends Coffee Truck To Show Support For Yoo Yeon Seok

Source: Soompi  by yshin

EXOâs Sehun Sends Coffee Truck To Show Support For Yoo Yeon Seok

EXO’s Sehun recently surprised Yoo Yeon Seok by sending him a coffee truck on the set of his drama “Mr. Sunshine”!

On August 22, the actor uploaded a photo of himself holding a cup of iced coffee on his personal Instagram. In the caption, he wrote, “Thank you, Sehun.” He also included images of the coffee truck that had a sign of Yoo Yeon Seok in his costume with the caption saying, “Supporting actor Yoo Yeon Seok and ‘Mr. Sunshine’.”

Yoo Yeon Seok had previously appeared as a guest on “Busted!” a Netflix variety show that included Sehun as part of the main cast.

The two also showed off their friendship in October as well when Sehun visited Yoo Yeon Seok on set of his musical.

Sehun’s upcoming webtoon film “Dokgo Rewind” will premiere on September 7.

th_SMALLBLUET.gif

Someone mentioned Hotaru before this, here are Kim Yong Ji's recent photos ~

• Like 9

Now that we are more than 1/2 way through, some random thoughts:

While I 100% enjoy this show, there is something about the Main Romance that keeps me from fully reveling and squeeeeeing. I realized it's the same reason that kept me from fully being "all in" with the Song-Song couple in DoTS.

I feel like the show's message is this: Look at these two gorgeous people in love! Bow down to its majesty! And the audience is supposed to be in awe of the sheer beauty and miracle of this couple that it's supposed to blind us to any plot holes or faulty logic.

(Because come on, DoTS had some preposterous plot lines.)

Anyway, I still enjoy Eugene for all his strapping manliness and by-the-numbers quality - he's like a product of a K-drama hero factory. (Tragic background? Check. Willingness to self-maim and/or die for beloved woman? Check. Square-jawed handsomeness? Check. Slo-mo strut? Check.)

The only thing missing is a random topless shower or workout scene.

Anyway, I think Dong-Mae is really interesting because there is just a chaotic energy with him that makes him not feel like a typical K-drama character. I mean he is, ultimately, a typical K-drama character - The Second Lead, but he is definitely very memorable and unpredictable.

And Hee-Sung the Third Lead. I really enjoyed that scene with him and Ae-Shin's grandfather. I really love Ae-Shin's grandfather, by the way. He seems to have chosen Hee-Sung as his heir, and knew his true personality. (not a tyrant like his grandfather) I think he had Ae-Shin betrothed to Hee-Sung for the same reason he sent her to Gunner Jang - to save her, to help her survive. It's really quite sweet. Awwww, Grandpa.

• Like 7