Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

1 hour ago, loversbridge said:

Episode 13 was a bit on the slow side for me but Hee Sung killed me with his denial in front Ae Shin's grandad D:

Dong Mae caring about Hina warmed my heart

Also Lee Wan Ik wanting to marry his daughter to Hee Sung...What do you think about this guys? Even if the marriage wouldn't work it's pretty funny to think about.

Yes HS was being the noble fool for trying to take on all the blame by saying he don't want the marriage but AS grandpa seems very wise and knows everything.

It's sad that the villain Lee wan ik has intercepted all of grandpa's letters. Am afraid, grandpa is in grave danger now and if something happens to him, AS will be devastated and go all out for revenge.

I am sort of disappointed with the scene between AS and DM at the Judo place. I would have hope they showed how DM send her gently away but probably the director can't think of a good way to do it and just ended the scene with AS's puzzled face.

Also now it seems like they frame DM to look like he killed Joseph. Actually he went there to meet another foreigner to talk about the railroad security...:tears:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@mistergenie @mistymorning

In his grief, Eugene will have to remember the kind of friendship Joseph has with Eun San.  He knows their close relationship so it hurts him to think someone with such a noble heart, not driven by power and money, killed in the cross fire of someone else' affairs.  It's tragic to think the reason why the Emperor would only trust this man to carry his loan request to the American Minister leads to Joseph's death.  

Not sure Eugene knows they actually had friendship. And it's not certain that Joseph is the one who LJM asked to meet, although I think he is.

The saddest part for me this episode was the black out with Joseph signing off.

In Eugene's voice. :cry: they were not able to meet til the end. Did you notice LBH's lip turning blue at the crying scene? 

The bloody letter from the Emperor in LWI's hand, so he is indeed responsible for Joseph's death. 

credit: Netflix

He is definitely responsible for Joseph's death. The letter itself is a fake, so could it be that WI lured Joseph out to kill him after he arrived. He seems to try to get something out of Joseph's death from emperor, or at least taunting him in the preview. So far the actor(Kim EuiSung) is doing such an excellent job of playing this role so I'm feeling real rage just looking at him. Kudos to the actor!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In Eugene's voice. :cry: they were not able to meet til the end. Did you notice LBH's lip turning blue at the crying scene? 

He is definitely responsible for Joseph's death. The letter itself is a fake, so could it be that WI lured Joseph out to kill him after he arrived. He seems to try to get something out of Joseph's death from emperor, or at least taunting him in the preview. So far the actor(Kim EuiSung) is doing such an excellent job of playing this role so I'm feeling real rage just looking at him. Kudos to the actor!

Such a heartbreaking scene.  

Two possibilities, what do you think?

1) Letter is real.  LWI appears in front of court to claim the letter was fake to give the Emperor a way out of the situation, blackmailing him in a way?  It's also to assert his power and get the minister post.  Emperor is troubled that he caused the missionary's death.

2) Letter is indeed fake.  LWI forewarned the Emperor that he has exposed the plan and killed his messenger.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

Text preview for episode 14:

Angered by Joseph's death, Eugene seeks the murderer and in doing so facing Righteous Army's hidden identity...

Upon Eugene's investigation on Righteous Army, Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...!

Thanks for the synopsis. Looks like Eugene's investigation will point him towards the RA - but is the RA really behind Joseph's death? What if they are being set up as fall guys by Wan Ik? Remember E3 ending? Even Eugene used the excuse of RA to officially conclude that the death of Logan Taylor was at their hands. 

Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...! - hmm, some source of great conflict. Inevitable decision as in revealing his true identity to Ae Shin and ordering her to kill Eugene? Or inevitable decision as in looping in Eugene on everything related to the Righteous Army? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Such a heartbreaking scene.  

Two possibilities, what do you think?

1) Letter is real.  LWI appears in front of court to claim the letter was fake to give the Emperor a way out of the situation, blackmailing him in a way?  It's also to assert his power and get the minister post.  Emperor is troubled that he caused the missionary's death.

2) Letter is indeed fake.  LWI forewarned the Emperor that he has exposed the plan and killed his messenger.  

From what LWI is saying in preview, LWI seems to say that this letter is a fake one that Emperor never saw or wrote.  The words are like that LWI seems to say that to his underling(LDM probably?) . At the same time in the scene, he seems to press emperor waving that letter. So I think he's still trying to get the minister of diplomacy out of this, somehow.

So I would say Letter is indeed a fake, but I think LWI will say it's real and threaten emperor to get something.

While rewatching preview again, it seems that Eugene is warning LWI and threatening his life if LWI tries to instigate something from now on. So hopefully all the in-fighting between EC and RA will resolve at some point and they'll have WI as common enemy, hopefully in the next episode?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

Thanks for the synopsis. Looks like Eugene's investigation will point him towards the RA - but is the RA really behind Joseph's death? What if they are being set up as fall guys by Wan Ik? Remember E3 ending? Even Eugene used the excuse of RA to officially conclude that the death of Logan Taylor was at their hands. 

Yes, I think WI did order the death of Joseph, but torturing DM to give grandpa Go's name as a fall guy. WI swore that he'll kill grandpa Go, so if RA is connected with grandpa Go that would be only plus for him.

Eugene's investigation will have to find people in RA - because Joseph would have contacted them - and the fact that these people are called in for investigation for Joseph's death could expose RA people, thus endanger them. Something probably RA can't afford to happen.

Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...! - hmm, some source of great conflict. Inevitable decision as in revealing his true identity to Ae Shin and ordering her to kill Eugene? Or inevitable decision as in looping in Eugene on everything related to the Righteous Army? 

In preview, Eunsan seems to order Aeshin to kill someone regardless of that someone's identity. and Eugene's saying that she will not fail the mission because he'll not dodge(the bullet?). But before they have led us astray mixing lines and scenes out of order in preview, so who knows? At this point, I guess anything is possible except the fact that EC will not die. :)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In preview, Eunsan seems to order Aeshin to kill someone regardless of that someone's identity. and Eugene's saying that she will not fail the mission because he'll not dodge(the bullet?). But before they have led us astray mixing lines and scenes out of order in preview, so who knows? At this point, I guess anything is possible except the fact that EC will not die. :)

Fully agree with you about the intentionally misleading previews.  They have been clever like that from the start. It's nice to see that the promo dept. is putting in an effort to keep viewers on the tenterhooks. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

Fully agree with you about the intentionally misleading previews.  They have been clever like that from the start. It's nice to see that the promo dept. is putting in an effort to keep viewers on the tenterhooks. 

I just wish they give use more text promo too! and more BTS's!

• Like 4

I can't remember if I shared these pictures before or if I just linked them. But some of you may remember it from episode seven when DM, HS, and EG all gather outside the hotel. At the time, lots of people (including myself) were saying that it was likely wishful thinking on Dong Mae's part because of what the other two were picturing. But then today's episode (13) aired, and I noticed that Dong Mae only took one coin from Ae Shin after they talked. You can see him turning the coin over near the end of the episode. That made me think of the scene pictured below, which now gives me hope that maybe it wasn't wishful thinking and is instead a glimpse of the future? A future where they are on good enough terms that he returns the coin to her because he no longer wants to keep her in debt to him. 

tumblr_pclen4LZh21qm5w5wo1_540.jpg

tumblr_pclen4LZh21qm5w5wo2_540.jpg

On a side note, if this is a glimpse of the future, that means the other two scenes are as well and I'm just ASAKSDOFKSE at the possibilities. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, luna11 said:

I can't remember if I shared these pictures before or if I just linked them. But some of you may remember it from episode seven when DM, HS, and EG all gather outside the hotel. At the time, lots of people (including myself) were saying that it was likely wishful thinking on Dong Mae's part because of what the other two were picturing. But then today's episode (13) aired, and I noticed that Dong Mae only took one coin from Ae Shin after they talked. You can see him turning the coin over near the end of the episode. That made me think of the scene pictured below, which now gives me hope that maybe it wasn't wishful thinking and is instead a glimpse of the future? A future where they are on good enough terms that he returns the coin to her because he no longer wants to keep her in debt to him. 

On a side note, if this is a glimpse of the future, that means the other two scenes are as well and I'm just ASAKSDOFKSE at the possibilities. 

Yes! I was quite excited about that scene of Ae Shin returning money she owed to Dong Mae and he accepting one coin from Ae Shin. I had the same thoughts as you.

Other than that, I think that day also settled their relationship - that it is a one sided relationship on his part and he will be on her side protecting her whether she wants it or not.

And I agree that means the other 2 scenes are possible glimpses of the future too. 

I really like the heart to heart talk that Ae Shin and Eugene had at the beach although there is no kiss or hug which Eugene supporters are lamenting about. Where Ae Shin mentioned that she realised she never knew or experienced many things before like sound of waves, eating canned food etc and that there is an ocean of possibilities out there that she never imagine before. And that this trip was the furthest away from home that she has been and that she would like to go further than the sea. I am interpreting her words to mean that she is starting to harbour futile hopes for a future for herself that includes him in it that she had never previously thought is possible. To me, it hinted at the possibility of a future where she follows him to America.

Given that Kim Eun Seok used this plot device in Goblin, she might had done the same by inserting the ending of Eugene and Ae Shin in America into episode 7. :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets:

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, luna11 said:

I agree with you that it is kind of a glimpse of the future: he made his dream come true.

I see the scenes differently. In DM's dream in episode 7, he still takes money from her. Given the last episode, we understand why he keeps AS in debt to him, namely to see her. In my view, the last episode made it clear how sad/tragic DM dream was. Even when DM dreamt about being together with AS, he did not expect anything more than AS visiting him to pay him money. His dream shows that DM fully realizes how hopeless his love is.

I was also wondering whether all the dreams in episode 7 were sad. For example, Eugene looks from afar to an AS in western clothes. Now we know that there are customs that go against them being together. Eugene was from the beginning aware of these customs, so what he dreams is for AS to live in a peaceful modernized country (Korea), while he watches her from afar.  Again, his dream shows that he does not have hopes for their relationship. So I am wondering whether Eugene would also make his sad dream true.

• Like 9

@tzupi  That's a very good point in your interpretation. I went back to watch the full sequence in episode 7 and it does look like he's taking the coin instead of returning it so it's more likely that this is one of their future monthly meetings and not my original hope. Her face is also very closed off in that brief moment so I suspect their "business" relationship does not change much going forward. This also makes me sad but in a completely different way now. .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

@charray Assuming that it is a glimpse of the future, and she does go to America with Eugene, I keep wondering how that will work story wise. She's been all about the Rebel cause for ten+ years, so for her to abandon Joseon takes away from what we liked about her resolve in the first place. I know love makes you do crazy things, and I do want to see her struggle with the idea of running away with him and just being able to be happy without worrying about class differences but if she really did that, would we still be able to call her our heroine? Especially with the Japanese occupation just 6-8 years away? 

• Like 7

Tollgate polls! if you haven't voted already, please do visit the events section under Home > soompi info > events

based on members nominations, there are 5 polls. look for these threads within the events section here :

tollgate poll 1 - villains

tollgate poll 2 - dramas

tollgate poll 3 - side characters

tollgate poll 4 - OTP, leads

tollgate poll 5 - misc

the costumes of this drama was one of the nominations under tollgate poll 5 - misc. if you think it is amazing, do visit and cast your vote!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luna11 said:

I noticed that Dong Mae only took one coin from Ae Shin after they talked. You can see him turning the coin over near the end of the episode. That made me think of the scene pictured below, which now gives me hope that maybe it wasn't wishful thinking and is instead a glimpse of the future? A future where they are on good enough terms that he returns the coin to her because he no longer wants to keep her in debt to him. 

Yeah, I noticed the coin.  It’s possibly be the last time they meet before circumstances bring Ae Shin to despise Dong Mae again.  Preview seems to say he’ll be forced to frame or hurt Lord Go, her grandfather.  There’s too much sadness around Dong Mae that I cannot help but feel he’s dreaming of the future encounters that will never come.

Same feeling with HS’s bleak ending, protecting Ae Shin till the end.  Eugene’s future is much brighter.  I also noticed the blue porcelain behind him so do think his future will be tied to Eun San’s prized pottery.

Hina’s desperate attempt to find her mom (in the hundreds of fliers she commissioned) is the only thing that can break her strong shell.  Dong Mae silently shares this overwhelming feeling of a child missing her parentin the bar.  He sat with back turned to give Hina her privacy.  KMJ cries beautifully.

• Like 5

Episode 13, The scenes that got me all teary were the ones on AS’s grandfather.  I really cannot stand Wan Ik’s and Ae Sun’s husband.  He is such a jerk. I wish something terrible will happen to both of them.   He got almost all the important people in Josean to work for him :rage:

What can I say about HS, he lied so that he can keep his promise to AS, how honourable.  It is hard not to like him now.  I am hoping that AS’s grandfather will not be in any danger.   Anxiously waiting for tonight’s episode.

• Like 4