[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

16 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

2.  The Japanese minister said LWI holds power over GDM, Allen, the emperor of Joseon, and the minister post.  Which is four already right? LOL  Anyway, I am thinking the fourth one could be Eugene.  Right now, Eugene doesn't know Emperor sent Joseph on a mission that leads to his death.  Unleashing the fact that the letter exists will bring Eugene to confront the Emperor +/- LJM, further eroding any trust the Americans have with Joseon.  The other person could be Lord Go whose innocence depends on the letter existence.

Wan Ik was talking about killing four birds with one stone. The fourth, as we found out was Ae Shin's grandfather whom WI tried to unsuccessfully frame for Joseph's murder. Dong Mae ended up being rescued by Eugene. In the end, the only bird that WI was able to hit was the King himself - basically humiliating the King and demanding the post of the Minister with so much audacity was a huge win for WI. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

I don't think emperor has any ally left. Russia will be forced out after Russia-Japan war. US was already ignoring his request for help thru Allen,(that was why Allen was in Shanghai in the first couple episodes, I remember?) Kyle knew about Philippine and said US will not  interfere matter of Joseon. And this didn't happen over just one day, I think Joseon failed to read political power structure of foreign countries and LJM is not an exception(Unlike Seungu, I don't think LJM has direct mistrust after Gangwha conflict. They were asking for help from US anyway). Ironically, they really need a best person for minister of diplomacy but there's no good candidate.

At the same time, as you said this event just showed that king is powerless and someone who cannot be trusted. Who'll help the king knowing this? But... looking at it, it seems that WI can do anything in Joseon and nobody can hold him responsible. Basically majority of gov under WI's hire, and only JM left at king's side. Police chief and post office chief are also under WI's control. that reminds me, would Ilsik be safe if he tries to send telegram to Eugene? 

What can Eugene do to hold WI responsible for Joseph's murder?

Yeah, I feel you and for the Emperor.  Admitting the letter is real will enrage the Japanese for seeking refuge with the Americans. Right now, he is buying time to have weapons made and Royal Army trained.  All his private stash (the bank note Eugene returned) has gone to Shanghai for new weapons.  The railroad is a must for the Emperor as well to transport the resistance back to Hanseong to help him. Thus, the need for this loan to come through.

I'm counting on Eugene or Ae Shin getting Kim Young-ju to confess.  He will tell Ae Shin the truth and have her be the bait to lure KYJ to them.  The only hard thing is how to back up an opium addict's words against the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, soara said:

Rating for episode 14!!:smiley:

Nationwide      seoul

14 15.626 18.126

1 hour ago, lilyphenix said:

That's amazing! That show is so beautiful, they totally deserve it, and more.

Omg 15%!! I don’t know why I’m so happy this show’s rating is going up- think I’m going crazy... I hope this becomes TVN’s highest rated drama of all time :wub: 

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

3 hours ago, lilyphenix said:

@Emily Wong I didn't recognize her (it wasn't easy for me to do, with the way she was filmed), but from what HS said it's one of the ladies he gambled with before, so she might have been shown a few episodes ago, when we see him at the table with 4-5 ladies losing money... And also from what he said, noticing she has strong arms and by the way she's holding him, I think he hinted at the fact that he can tell she's a trained fighter, and therefore probably belongs to some of the current secret organizations...  

Ah I see- I think I saw her in this long trailer of Mr. Sunshine.. she might play a bigger role in the next few episodes? Just not sure what it will be...

• Like 3

I think the last scene is a twist..I don't think AS will shoot him (obviously). But they might be pointing guns at each other as EC reached the kiln site but they will hesitate as their mind runs through the moments they were together. They will be contemplating for a while..

But..I got this feeling that EC will finally succumb to helping the RA for real. And that is the reason he was heading there. He might be going to the site to offer his help, instead of threatening the potter as what was supposedly shown in that last scene.. There are two reasons which made me think this:

1. EC knew then that AS is in both danger and dilemma based on what the caught shooter told him. If he is to protect AS, he needs to be with her, at her side. He would not expect AS to change side for him. KES has make sure his character is always in support of AS, so I dont think he would make AS to be in further dilemma.

2. Joseph's name need to be clear and since he could not use his power to threaten the Minister to change the verdict, the best he can do is to help them to get what they want and at the same time, clear Joseph's name. To the Minister, it seems there is no other way to ensure that their plan would remain intact. But if EC is to offer his help to make sure the secret remains safe and then make the Japanese turn against LWI, then there is no need for either EC to be killed or for them to frame Joseph further.

One thing for sure, in yesterday's ep, I finally can see KES's big picture for this drama. Up till Ep 13, she has clear the ground for each character's development and about their back story and also built a platform on how these characters interact with each other. But yesterday, she finally draw the strings to tie all of them up as now they have one common enemy, the ever evil Lee Wan Ik..(I bet he is the most hated villain in kdrama now). 

i guess in the next few episodes we will see the boys club and the girls club in action. It would be satisfying for me if the final moment of LWI will have all of them pointing all sorts of weapons at him: AS and EC (guns), Gunner Jang and the RAs (gun/ bows and arrow), GDM and the Musin Society (swords), HS (pistol), Hina (sword), the elderlies (Lord Go, the potter, the Minister) will watch them as they wait for the King to give the order (but...I dont think it will happen this way, though..hehehe...but I would love to see something to that effect. Each of them is either direct or indirect victim of LWI)

#justmy2cents

• Like 9

dduck1.gifCongratulations MR.SUNSHINE! Skipping 14 entirely and landing atop 15.6% ratings! Well done, totally! It's always an anxious feeling waiting for Monday(s) to check the ratings & feedback. Looks like it's that time which drama is entering the no preview zone to keep the high suspense going -- will she shoot him or not? It's clearly a depressing situation where the plot is going (with no way out), but there're still new things to learn and heart-warming tidbits to enjoy. Thank you to everyone giving thoughts, background and explanation about the drama and the history it's based on -- truly appreciate all the well-explained enlightenment. 

Source: DDOBOJA th_tq.gif

[Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 13 + 14

0003846147_001_20180818223528436.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (OSEN via Naver): "My son"..'Mr. Sunshine' Lee Byung Hun sobs at Joseph's death

1. [+2301, -36] My son,, ㅠㅠ

2. [+1560, -41] When Byun Yo Han lied today, it was insane how his eyes were saying something else

3. [+1353, -121] This is a real crying acting. This expression isn't enough to express Lee Byung Hun's acting. 

4. [+918, -51] The ending was so sad ㅜㅜ Eugene Choi is hella good at acting.. also Dong Mae tomorrow is breaking my heart ㅜㅜㅜ Terrible Lee Wan Ik  

5. [+676, -47] Lee Byung Hun was really good at cry acting/crying scenes,,,, Even the narration ㅠㅠㅠㅠ I was crying 

0002721111_001_20180819124415172.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Star News via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Byun Yo Han makes a false confession for Kim Tae Ri..It's love

1. [+1103, -11] So much lingering remains from Byun Yo Han's subtle emotion

2. [+931, -355] I feel like she matches more with Byun Yo Han or Yoo Yeon Seok rather than Lee Byung Hun... I feel like the love line with Lee Byung Hun is somewhat boring

3. [+532, -5] Before the grandpa puts his life on the line and starts the appeal campaign, I think it's really sad how he left his last words with his grandson-in-law 

4. [+205, -6] I really like Hee Sung-ie ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ Sad.. 

Spoiler

2018082001001691100130272_20180819225628464.jpg?type=w540

Original Source (Sports Chosun via Naver): 'Mr. Sunshine' Kim Tae Ri is put in the destiny where she has to pull out a gun on Lee Byung Hun

1. [+3550, -134] Even if limping Lee Wan Ik travels alone, no one kills him.... but the patriotic guy plans to assassinate the good-willed Lee Byung Hun ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Might as well just don't do anything ㅜㅜ It's freaking frustrating and really makes no sense ㅋㅋㅋ Even if they're trying to set up that Lee Wan Ik has 20 security guards next to him 24/7, please try to be a bit realistic ㅠㅠ

2. [+2979, -343] Even though it's certain that Kim Eun Sook was going to receive criticism for casting Lee Byung Hun, I think I understand why they casted him. Only Lee Byung Hun can perfectly play the spectrum of the character Eugene Choi.

3. [+1342, -34] This isn't a drama~ It's a movie~ Why was there no preview today ㅠㅠ

4. [+1127, -26] It's so cruel ㅠ for Lady Ae Shin 

5. [+1224, -127] Because they're like that, Joseon failed ㅡㅡ 

Oh my god....
Lee Byung Hun's crying scene broke my heart ㅠㅠ
Also where's the preview for the next episode?!?!?!
How can they just end it like that ㅠㅠㅠㅠ
And when Byun Yo Han lied to Kim Tae Ri's grandfather about not like anything about Kim Tae Ri but then they showed a montage of all his favorite things about her... ㅠㅠ
This drama just breaks my heart every week.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

It's midnight right now where I'm from and I should be heading to bed but OMG I had to leave a quick comment on here about how amazing episode 14 was! The high rating is definitely well deserved. What an absolutely stressful episode, I literally was on the edge of my seat the entire time! Ahhh loved loved loved the moment when AS started translating Joseph's letter to EC as a way to console him! Had me in tears

• Like 7

On 8/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, q4q4 said:

It's midnight right now where I'm from and I should be heading to bed but OMG I had to leave a quick comment on here about how amazing episode 14 was! The high rating is definitely well deserved. What an absolutely stressful episode, I literally was on the edge of my seat the entire time! Ahhh loved loved loved the moment when AS started translating Joseph's letter to EC as a way to console him! Had me in tears

Me too..of all the scenes that make my tears flow, this one is the ultimate one...I bawled with streaming tears for hours after that scene:dissapointed_relieved:...even more because right after that AS was put in that dilemma..how cruel can things be for her and EC..they need each other, console each other and now must faced each other in a duel? That is such cruel twist of fate..but as my earlier post mentioned, I believe that there will be a plot twist for the last scene..I hope so..I hope so..jeballl

• Like 6

I have a feeling that last scene could be, or turn into, a test for both EC and AS:

- For AS, her comrades could see this as her biggest test: Is she willing to sacrifice everything to the cause, including her love for EC?

- For EC, I could see the comrades using this to settle once and for all whether or not they can trust him.

I don't think they intended it as a test initially, but since EC already said he'd make sure she doesn't miss, he'll probably show them that he's willing to die, right there, on the spot, without putting a fight; and not just that, he'll show them that he came fully knowing they intended to kill him. Maybe seeing EC and AS's determination to not be stumbling block to the fight, the one in charge (AS Father?) will change his mind, and let EC live.

This is just me hoping the beginning of episode 15 makes me cry less than I did seeing DM tortured in episode 14. I agonized for what felt like an eternity. :tears:

• Like 7

August 19, 2018

"Mr. Sunshine" Kim Min-jung Comforts Yoo Yeon-seok

Source: SEdaily via HanCinema.net

photo995360.jpg

On the latest episode of the tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine", Kudo Hina (Kim Min-jung) comforted Goo Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok) who had been tortured.

Goo Dong-mae said, "I don't get it because there's more than one person who is a thorn in my side".

Hina said, "It's okay to say it's because of Lee Wan-ik". Lee Wan-ik (Kim Eui-sung) was her pro-Japanese father.

"It's better for Eugene Choi (Lee Byung-hun) to move than me. It seems he had a special bond with that missionary. I think he has a culprit in mind".

Goo Dong-mae said, "He's never come to find me. We've never been on good terms".

Hina comforted, "That could mean that he trusts you".

Goo Dong-mae had been framed for murdering the American Missionary Joseph.

• Like 8

1QWTgPi.jpg@elfvanvan I trust Writer Kim will give us K eventually . The OTP romance moves at snail speed and for those that have been nagging Eugene to hurry, I think he's too much of gentleman to bring their relationship to physical level esp so when they are just having a carpe diem relationship now. AS on the other hand is bold, she initiated the hug and consoled him by cupping his face....so let's ask AS to hurry, hehe. 

@bedifferent yes....you're right, I am having a ball stripping this scene, above is the first one ! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 10

Most worthy indeed: 3 weeks in a row at Number 1 spot, moving from 16% to 18% and now 20%. Much higher than shown by its predecessor. MR.SUNSHINE fighting! th_thumbup.gif

August 20, 2018

“Mister Sunshine” Maintains Top Spot For Most Buzzworthy Dramas For 3rd Week In A Row

Source: Soompi  by kokoberry

âMister Sunshineâ Maintains Top Spot For Most Buzzworthy Dramas For 3rd Week In A Row

tvN’s “Mister Sunshine” maintains it’s hold at No. 1 for Most Buzzworthy Drama of the week!

On August 20, the Most Buzzworthy lists for dramas and actors were released for the third week of August.

“Mr. Sunshine” and JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” maintained their top two spots for the second consecutive week and were followed by SBS’s “30 but 17,” tvN’s “Wife I Know,” KBS2’s “Lovely Horribly,” and in third to fifth place respectively.

0003375004_001_20180820143920421.png?type=w540

See the full list of dramas below:

1. tvN’s “Mister Sunshine” (20.13 percent)
2. JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” (10.76 percent)
3. SBS’s “30 but 17” (9.65 percent)
4. tvN’s “Wife I Know” (9.33 percent)
5. KBS2’s “Lovely Horribly” (6.26 percent)
6. JTBC’s “Life” (6.08 percent)
7. OCN’s “Voice 2” (5.91 percent)
8. SBS’s “Your Honor” (4.26 percent)
9. tvN’s “Let Eat 3” (3.85 percent)
10. KBS2’s “Marry Me Now” (3.44 percent)

The cast of “Mr. Sunshine” continues to shine on the list of Most Buzzworthy actors, taking up half of the list.

Check out the full list of actors below:

1. Kim Tae Ri (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
2. Lee Byung Hun (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
3. Yoo Yeon Seok (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)

4. Cha Eun Woo (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
5. Shin Hye Sun (SBS’s “30 but 17”)
6. Im Soo Hyang (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
7. Yang Se Jong (SBS’s “30 but 17”)
8. Han Ji Min (tvN’s “Familiar Wife”)
9. Ji Sung (tvN’s “Familiar Wife”)

10. Byun Yo Han (tvN's "Mr. Sunshine")

Good Data Corporation releases weekly lists for Most Buzzworthy dramas and actors by collecting data from online articles, blogs, community posts, social media, and videos. Their latest lists took data from August 13 to August 19 on 27 dramas that are currently airing or are set to air soon.

Source (1)

• Like 10