[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

True that .. while it's making Eugene sad and mad, he's still doing his duty as a soldier. Hopefully he will be able to think sensibly and deduct the situation wisely no matter how hard it is for him losing someone especially close to him. He must find out how his personal letter ended up with Ae Shin, it's urgent that she shares her intel as well. Maybe because it's the RA, Eugene tend to be neutral but more than ever, he has to know who's who and not put those close to him at risk again, if possible. Life is just so complicated for him..

A little light-hearted moment in ep13.. she has his music box, his gloves, now his hat.. and obviously his heart. :P

• Like 7

4 hours ago, mistergenie said:

hence he was arrested by the US and tortured to reveal the name of the person

The people torturing Dong Mae in the preview are Japanese, not  the U.S. 

Your theory about RA killing Joseph to incite the US against the Japanese is good but I respectfully disagree. Yes, the King's Vice Chamberlain, Lord Leo Jung Mun wanted the potter to ensure that the missionary returned to Hanseong as soon as possible - this could be for two reasons - the King wanted to use Joseph to send a message to the American Minister in Qing or Leo Jung Mun wanted to use Joseph to persuade Eugene to take the King's offer (to train his troops).  If you recall, Ep 1, Joseph and the potter had a friendly relationship - so even if RA are innocent of the crime, Eugene may still end up blaming them because the King, Leo Jung Mun and the RA  - all wanted to use Joseph and this contributed towards his death. The only way I can see that Eugene backs down from his rage is that if he comes to know that Joseph was already willingly helping the King and the RA. 

Ohh yes I obviously somehow missed that... I most certainly am wrong then which I really don’t mind at all lol

4 hours ago, tzupi said:

What do you mean by turning rogue? and what was it in the preview of episode 14 to make you think that? From what we see, Eugene is still a soldier and he seems to be conducting an investigation into Joseph's death probably. 

It seemed to me that Dong Mae is tortured by Korean or Japanese police, not by American soldiers.

Eugene needs to hear how Ae shin got into the possession of Joseph's letter. She never told him that, but now it becomes important for once he knows that, he can deduce that Lee Wan Ik is involved and that there was something between Joseph and the emperor. It might be that Eugene is upset with the emperor's advisor because the emperor did not take all the precautions to ensure that nothing happens to Joseph. I think it was suggested that Joseph was a go-between person, carrying a message from the emperor to somebody. But LWI came upon this information quite quickly; moreover, the police seems to be loyal to LWI, not the emperor.

If I am correct, then this would fit with Eugene's remark from a previous episode about how clumsy the Righteous army is.  

Hahah yes I def missed the Japanese soldiers- I was just being crazy in my analysis.. 

• Like 2

Episode 13 was a bit on the slow side for me but Hee Sung killed me with his denial in front Ae Shin's grandad D:

Dong Mae caring about Hina warmed my heart :wub: (yes I'm shipper trash I'm sorry).

Also Lee Wan Ik wanting to marry his daughter to Hee Sung...What do you think about this guys? Even if the marriage wouldn't work it's pretty funny to think about.

Episode 14 looks intense so I can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 7

There is quite a lot of Interesting info for us as viewers from last night's episode. Just want to highlight a few of them.

1. EC realised that AS didn't know who the potter really is in the organisation that she joined.  That is the real reason he said AS might regret later as to tease her.

2. EC knew something is off when he read Joseph's letter to Domi.  I guess the location  that Joseph's mentioned in the letter compared to the time stamp on the envelope?

It is also interesting how AS's grandfather is so understanding of the current situation of HS and AS.  It is understandable that he wants his grandaughter to be safe at all cost.   How I wish he should have used different method to make sure his letters reach  the correct persons.

• Like 5

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Source

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

AGB Nielsen Ratings:

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Episode 12  8/12/18    13.399%

Episode 13  8/18/18    13.327%

Source

Show really needs to past this ~13% resistance level in order to breakout... ^_^

• Like 3

I cried a lot. The last scene was powerful, so powerful that I almost forgot all the smile worthy moments between Eugene and Aeshin

Text preview for episode 14:

Angered by Joseph's death, Eugene seeks the murderer and in doing so facing Righteous Army's hidden identity...

Upon Eugene's investigation on Righteous Army, Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...!

And from episode 14 preview

tumblr_pdokc0QcwZ1sra4rzo1_540.png

He's angry/sad/determined. Just.... speechless.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

EC knew something is off when he read Joseph's letter to Domi.  I guess the location  that Joseph's mentioned in the letter compared to the time stamp on the envelope?

As he was reading Joseph's letter, Eugene suddenly remembered the post office stamp/branch name was same as the letter in his room the night it was ransacked.  He knows LWI had Kim Yong Ju to search for something valuable. A letter that came from the same region was tossed it aside probably because it was not what they were looking for.

Screenshot 2018-08-18 16.28.35

Screenshot 2018-08-18 16.34.04

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

As he was reading Joseph's letter, Eugene suddenly remembered the post office stamp/branch name was same as the letter in his room the night it was ransacked.  He knows LWI had Kim Yong Ju to search for something valuable. A letter that came from the same region was tossed it aside probably because it was not what they were looking for.

I see...so  that is the connection.

• Like 1

This thread seems slower. 

On 8/17/2018 at 5:45 PM, Seoulmemories said:

DM going to Japan is not a good ending for me i want him to fight for Korea and side with Korea going to JP does not seem like a good ending for me. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:33 PM, michiyo90 said:

Exactly i agree with this anyone leaving JP is not very happy to me.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:39 PM, mistymorning said:

Them going to china could maybe be a thing. 

On 8/18/2018 at 1:06 AM, luna11 said:

Loved reading this and totally agree about that ending with the like 40 year time skip where they are older watching Japan leave or something i would be happy with that ending.

Edited by triplem
Pls do not post consecutively within an hour. Edit to add
  • Like 1

@mistergenie @mistymorning

In his grief, Eugene will have to remember the kind of friendship Joseph has with Eun San.  He knows their close relationship so it hurts him to think someone with such a noble heart, not driven by power and money, killed in the cross fire of someone else' affairs.  It's tragic to think the reason why the Emperor would only trust this man to carry his loan request to the American Minister leads to Joseph's death.  

The saddest part for me this episode was the black out with Joseph signing off.

Screenshot of DM who is with the Joseon' police chief (left)

Screenshot 2018-08-18 17.10.36

The bloody letter from the Emperor in LWI's hand, so he is indeed responsible for Joseph's death. 

Screenshot 2018-08-18 17.15.06

credit: Netflix

• Like 7

1 hour ago, loversbridge said:

Episode 13 was a bit on the slow side for me but Hee Sung killed me with his denial in front Ae Shin's grandad D:

Dong Mae caring about Hina warmed my heart

Also Lee Wan Ik wanting to marry his daughter to Hee Sung...What do you think about this guys? Even if the marriage wouldn't work it's pretty funny to think about.

Yes HS was being the noble fool for trying to take on all the blame by saying he don't want the marriage but AS grandpa seems very wise and knows everything.

It's sad that the villain Lee wan ik has intercepted all of grandpa's letters. Am afraid, grandpa is in grave danger now and if something happens to him, AS will be devastated and go all out for revenge.

I am sort of disappointed with the scene between AS and DM at the Judo place. I would have hope they showed how DM send her gently away but probably the director can't think of a good way to do it and just ended the scene with AS's puzzled face.

Also now it seems like they frame DM to look like he killed Joseph. Actually he went there to meet another foreigner to talk about the railroad security...:tears:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

@mistergenie @mistymorning

In his grief, Eugene will have to remember the kind of friendship Joseph has with Eun San.  He knows their close relationship so it hurts him to think someone with such a noble heart, not driven by power and money, killed in the cross fire of someone else' affairs.  It's tragic to think the reason why the Emperor would only trust this man to carry his loan request to the American Minister leads to Joseph's death.  

Not sure Eugene knows they actually had friendship. And it's not certain that Joseph is the one who LJM asked to meet, although I think he is.

The saddest part for me this episode was the black out with Joseph signing off.

In Eugene's voice. :cry: they were not able to meet til the end. Did you notice LBH's lip turning blue at the crying scene? 

The bloody letter from the Emperor in LWI's hand, so he is indeed responsible for Joseph's death. 

credit: Netflix

He is definitely responsible for Joseph's death. The letter itself is a fake, so could it be that WI lured Joseph out to kill him after he arrived. He seems to try to get something out of Joseph's death from emperor, or at least taunting him in the preview. So far the actor(Kim EuiSung) is doing such an excellent job of playing this role so I'm feeling real rage just looking at him. Kudos to the actor!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In Eugene's voice. :cry: they were not able to meet til the end. Did you notice LBH's lip turning blue at the crying scene? 

He is definitely responsible for Joseph's death. The letter itself is a fake, so could it be that WI lured Joseph out to kill him after he arrived. He seems to try to get something out of Joseph's death from emperor, or at least taunting him in the preview. So far the actor(Kim EuiSung) is doing such an excellent job of playing this role so I'm feeling real rage just looking at him. Kudos to the actor!

Such a heartbreaking scene.  

Two possibilities, what do you think?

1) Letter is real.  LWI appears in front of court to claim the letter was fake to give the Emperor a way out of the situation, blackmailing him in a way?  It's also to assert his power and get the minister post.  Emperor is troubled that he caused the missionary's death.

2) Letter is indeed fake.  LWI forewarned the Emperor that he has exposed the plan and killed his messenger.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mistymorning said:

Text preview for episode 14:

Angered by Joseph's death, Eugene seeks the murderer and in doing so facing Righteous Army's hidden identity...

Upon Eugene's investigation on Righteous Army, Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...!

Thanks for the synopsis. Looks like Eugene's investigation will point him towards the RA - but is the RA really behind Joseph's death? What if they are being set up as fall guys by Wan Ik? Remember E3 ending? Even Eugene used the excuse of RA to officially conclude that the death of Logan Taylor was at their hands. 

Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...! - hmm, some source of great conflict. Inevitable decision as in revealing his true identity to Ae Shin and ordering her to kill Eugene? Or inevitable decision as in looping in Eugene on everything related to the Righteous Army? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Such a heartbreaking scene.  

Two possibilities, what do you think?

1) Letter is real.  LWI appears in front of court to claim the letter was fake to give the Emperor a way out of the situation, blackmailing him in a way?  It's also to assert his power and get the minister post.  Emperor is troubled that he caused the missionary's death.

2) Letter is indeed fake.  LWI forewarned the Emperor that he has exposed the plan and killed his messenger.  

From what LWI is saying in preview, LWI seems to say that this letter is a fake one that Emperor never saw or wrote.  The words are like that LWI seems to say that to his underling(LDM probably?) . At the same time in the scene, he seems to press emperor waving that letter. So I think he's still trying to get the minister of diplomacy out of this, somehow.

So I would say Letter is indeed a fake, but I think LWI will say it's real and threaten emperor to get something.

While rewatching preview again, it seems that Eugene is warning LWI and threatening his life if LWI tries to instigate something from now on. So hopefully all the in-fighting between EC and RA will resolve at some point and they'll have WI as common enemy, hopefully in the next episode?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

Thanks for the synopsis. Looks like Eugene's investigation will point him towards the RA - but is the RA really behind Joseph's death? What if they are being set up as fall guys by Wan Ik? Remember E3 ending? Even Eugene used the excuse of RA to officially conclude that the death of Logan Taylor was at their hands. 

Yes, I think WI did order the death of Joseph, but torturing DM to give grandpa Go's name as a fall guy. WI swore that he'll kill grandpa Go, so if RA is connected with grandpa Go that would be only plus for him.

Eugene's investigation will have to find people in RA - because Joseph would have contacted them - and the fact that these people are called in for investigation for Joseph's death could expose RA people, thus endanger them. Something probably RA can't afford to happen.

Eunsan makes a inevitable decision ...! - hmm, some source of great conflict. Inevitable decision as in revealing his true identity to Ae Shin and ordering her to kill Eugene? Or inevitable decision as in looping in Eugene on everything related to the Righteous Army? 

In preview, Eunsan seems to order Aeshin to kill someone regardless of that someone's identity. and Eugene's saying that she will not fail the mission because he'll not dodge(the bullet?). But before they have led us astray mixing lines and scenes out of order in preview, so who knows? At this point, I guess anything is possible except the fact that EC will not die. :)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In preview, Eunsan seems to order Aeshin to kill someone regardless of that someone's identity. and Eugene's saying that she will not fail the mission because he'll not dodge(the bullet?). But before they have led us astray mixing lines and scenes out of order in preview, so who knows? At this point, I guess anything is possible except the fact that EC will not die. :)

Fully agree with you about the intentionally misleading previews.  They have been clever like that from the start. It's nice to see that the promo dept. is putting in an effort to keep viewers on the tenterhooks. 

• Like 5