[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

She and auntie kang are the same. They have unhappy home so that they set to destroy the happines of their sibling. 

Both these ladies are cut from the same cloth.They consider themselves to be better than others.This is how they have been raised.How can others enjoy anything better than them? They will not let this anomaly happen.If needed they will personally change the situation in their favor or cause trouble/harm to those who managed to obtain benefits better than them.

It can be anyone a friend, relative, sibling....

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

So true, if you want to understand a little, you can go watch ep 74 TV version, the full scene is there.. Prepare some tissues though, it sure made me cry, because I feel that scene showed how the high and mighty GTY crumbled in the embrace of his wife :bawling:

@m0us3y @zenya22

GTY was happy and gleeful and wanted to know the details account of the event when he heard from Huan Wang that ML went to meet empress (in disguise as Mrs. Shen's maid) and caused ruckus at empress' chamber to let GTY go home that his mom agreed to let ML see GTY and give him necessity items. Since Huan Wang wasn't present at the time ML begged the empress, GTY asked him to go bring the person who was present at the scene and could tell him in details. He said ML never lost her composure in front of him before. 

However, I think he was sincere in asking her to have mutual separation (not a test) as he said that he can marry her again after his suituation and punishment have been sorted out. He was also very emotional and choked with tears during that conversation.

Although we haven't seen exactly what will happen, from what ML, Molan and stepmom said in preview, GTY lost his title and drafted as a solider to fight before he was exiled (He was supposed to get exile in Autum), then how ML could continue live in Chen garden, house bestowed to GTY for his achievement? Whether it is part of emperor's grand plan or not, GTY is not just only demoted, he is a convicted official. In this kind of case, his former bestowed property as well as Gu manor will be taken back even if his family wasn't punished along with him. 

5 hours ago, sava2sava said:

Yes @jongski I'm watching this one also.. I haven't watch any Kdrama because I've been so invested in this one also the thread for the past few weeks.. Also seeing @lclarakl  Has drop in, Hello,  

@sava2sava and @jongski, Hello chingus! Yes, I'm here and really loving this thread. It's nice to have a good group on a thread that's so engaged in the drama--especially a long drama. Then again, this is probably this best long drama I've seen in a while. I started marathoning this drama on Thursday and couldn't stop until the most recent episode.

I'm a romantic at heart so this drama really sucked me in with its strong male lead and strong female lead. I have to say that it's refreshing to see ML nor GTY taking any crap from people--especially, the family. Now I want to watch another drama that's up to this caliber.  

Spoiler

I about to start Story of Yanxi Palace. 

36 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

In this kind of case, his former bestowed property as well as Gu manor will be taken back even if his family wasn't punished along with him. 

@Golden FlowerAll his property and the Gu manor will be taken back by the emperor as imperial property? Then Madam Qin will have no place to stay then? Will she be driven out of the Gu Manor in that case? Could she not have foreseen that? It would be so nice to see Madam Qin thrown out if that were to happen?

1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

@m0us3y @zenya22

GTY was happy and gleeful and wanted to know the details account of the event when he heard from Huan Wang that ML went to meet empress (in disguise as Mrs. Shen's maid) and caused ruckus at empress' chamber to release GTY that his mom agreed to let ML see GTY. Since Huan Wang wasn't present at the time ML begged the empress, GTY asked him to go bring the person who was present at the scence and could tell him in details. He said ML never lost her composure before. 

However, I think he was sincere in asking her to have mutual separation (not a test) as he said that he can marry her again after his suituation and punishment have been sorted out.

Although we haven't seen exactly what will happen, from what ML, Molan and stepmom said in preview, GTY lost his title and drafted as a solider to fight before he was exiled (He was supposed to get exile in Autum), then how ML could continue live in Chen garden, house bestowed to GTY for his achievement? Whether it is part of emperor's grand plan or not, GTY is not just only demoted, he is a convicted official. In this kind of case, his former bestowed property as well as Gu manor will be taken back even if his family wasn't punished along with him. 

I think we have to wait for the episodes to fully understand.. But I think the house wasn't taken back or so.. Let's just wait to see.. 

33 minutes ago, lclarakl said:

@sava2sava and @jongski, Hello chingus! Yes, I'm here and really loving this thread. It's nice to have a good group on a thread that's so engaged in the drama--especially a long drama. Then again, this is probably this best long drama I've seen in a while. I started marathoning this drama on Thursday and couldn't stop until the most recent episode.

I'm a romantic at heart so this drama really sucked me in with its strong male lead and strong female lead. I have to say that it's refreshing to see ML nor GTY taking any crap from people--especially, the family. Now I want to watch another drama that's up to this caliber. 

@lclarakl a warm hello fm me too.. 

After seeing what happened to her late mum n stepmom, I am sure Molan knew her father and CB will not go easy on her. 

Molan has too much pride.. who knows she may hang herself (not out of self pity but to spite everyone?)

Characters like Molan and Aunti Kang are detestable, but I'm more angry at their parents, mothers who destroy their daughters' lives in the name of love and the near non-existent father roles. It makes me wonder how they would change if they had been raised and loved by someone similar to Grandma, or how ML would turn out if she hadn't grow up beside her. Many villains in this drama are just products of the era, how a distorted social system traps and drives people crazy. It's a system that can enlarge the darkness in human hearts and those with weak resolve and faulty moral compass will succumb to jealousy and greed. I hate them and at the same time pity them.

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Agree, it does not make any sense.... any man would be so damn worried especially with a newborn baby... I would think if GTY was going to be happy it was because his wife, his baby and the rest of the family are safe and alive. When safety of the family is at stake, when wife and rest of family are facing danger, all petty concerns fly out the window. Same thing when a wife welcomes a husband who just faced danger, example gone to war and survived, she would just be happy to see her husband alive and well and nothing else matters. 

Actually, it's just only him that's still in trouble all this while, him asking for separation is to not let them be in trouble in the future after he is punished.. And for that scene, ML has not baged the drum and has not fainted, she only went to empress to plead for him.. So I will say him still being unconsciously happy she lost her composure for him while he is in danger still make sense here since it's like him being happy when he is in danger.. It's just a brief and fleeting happiness over a large sadness.. Just like a a little moment of happiness when they are so sorrowful .. Like 'hahahahhaha you actually do love me a lot but pretend not to, hmm what a little fox, then they take a deep breath to think about their sadness, and start talking again like' on a more serious note'... It's like a situation like that.. So it's not like the writer is bringing in happiness when they are in danger, it's like a moment of 'I'm OK' facade, a moment of 'I'm still laughing, teasing you and happy in this moment, so don't worry too much about me'.. The coming episodes will let us understand the more 

Saw raw epi 74..the court scene turned into a market brawl with the emperor dropping by in his gardener attire to get things in order...I couldn't help but laugh on how wittily they conveyed lack of seriousness in the matter from the ruling imperial family's end.

ED is skillfully being lured into the trap with GTY as bait.

Has GTY returned the official military seal or is it still with him? If not,then emperor is in cahoots with him.

MN had stabbed GTY then she went round town blaming him of taking way her children,killing her son and throwing her out after using her...

The matter was discussed among officials and they were pacified when GTY showed his stab wounds.So how did MN come again to repeat the discredited sob story?

Did the script writer forget the dialogues  that were delivered few episodes back?

Or MN was purposefully let out for Gu,Wang,Bai villains to utilize her..She is the weakest link in the chain...

32 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Characters like Molan and Aunti Kang are detestable, but I'm more angry at their parents, mothers who destroy their daughters' lives in the name of love and the near non-existent father roles. It makes me wonder how they would change if they had been raised and loved by someone similar to Grandma, or how ML would turn out if she hadn't grow up beside her. Many villains in this drama are just products of the era, how a distorted social system traps and drives people crazy. It's a system that can enlarge the darkness in human hearts and those with weak resolve and faulty moral compass will succumb to jealousy and greed. I hate them and at the same time pity them.

Villainy is never entirely product of an era..it also has an element of human nature that indulges in it.Even if a person has a good upbringing they can turn to a life of crime.Molan and Aunt Kang are not product of neglect in the era.Contrarily they were treated better and received preferential treatment than their male siblings.

Thanks for the explanation @Golden Flower @leeza77

I can't say I'm impressed with his behaviour, be it gleeful or happy, as it just doesn't sound right to be happy when his wife is down on her knees begging and crying, but it could be because he doesn't know and realised that she went to that extent.. only knows she created a ruckus.. I haven't actually watch the episodes, just previews and comments from fellow chingus in this thread. 

So I'll refrain from commenting further until I've watched.. so that I wouldn't jump into conclusion and judge too quickly. 

@lclarakl welcome. Did you sleep considering you had to catch up 67 episodes?? :lol:

@linhlinh111 well said. I've always wondered how dangerous ML would be if she wasn't brought up by granny who taught her not just skills to survive, but also principles and morals in life. 

Considering her intelligence, she could be one helluva antagonist! 

So I do agree that parents have a major part to play in shaping their children, and have a role to play for their success and failure. 

Era, circumstances, upbringing, ingrained personality, all have a part to play in how each person turns out. 

The best part of the show is exactly that...that while some antagonists are despicable, they are also pitiful. 

10 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Thanks for the explanation @Golden Flower @leeza77

I can't say I'm impressed with his behaviour, be it gleeful or happy, as it just doesn't sound right to be happy when his wife is down on her knees begging and crying, but it could be because he doesn't know and realised that she went to that extent.. only knows she created a ruckus.. I haven't actually watch the episodes, just previews and comments from fellow chingus in this thread. 

So I'll refrain from commenting further until I've watched.. so that I wouldn't jump into conclusion and judge too quickly. 

@lclarakl welcome. Did you sleep considering you had to catch up 67 episodes?? :lol:

@linhlinh111 well said. I've always wondered how dangerous ML would be if she wasn't brought up by granny who taught her not just skills to survive, but also principles and morals in life. 

Considering her intelligence, she could be one helluva antagonist! 

So I do agree that parents have a major part to play in shaping their children, and have a role to play for their success and failure. 

Era, circumstances, upbringing, ingrained personality, all have a part to play in how each person turns out. 

The best part of the show is exactly that...that while some antagonists are despicable, they are also pitiful. 

ML is dangerous even with granny by her side.She made CL die a painful death by withholding medicinal supply to her severe wounds..Was ready to kill older Ms.Kang only to be persuaded by old Madam Sheng to withdraw.As you rightly said the show does display human nature quite well.Even antagonists are given the humane touch.The protagonist also carry deep flaws. No one is painted unrealistically white.Even righteous CB doesn't escape.

7 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@minglan1  Why is Molan so hell bent on interfering with Minglan matters.. I know it has to be more then her mom tablet reasons.. Even if it steems from jealousy what difference would it make.. It's not like she could marry GTY herself.. Wouldn't it be better for her to accept her Lil Sister married higher then her and to keep a good family relationship with her for the future of her children sake rather then continue to make more of and enemy to Minglan..  

I also thought the writing was a bit weak on this. With Aunty Kang she wanted the influence and wealth of the Shengs at her disposal and she had the love and backing of her maiden family.

MoL is supposed to be smart but why go through all that just for petty jealousy? She is already an outsider with the Shengs. If Kang had succeeded,  then GTY would have wanted her life and who would defend her? With the stakes so high, the writers' should have built up MoL's motive to be more convincing. 

3 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

ML is dangerous even with granny by her side.She made CL die a painful death by withholding medicinal supply to her severe wounds..Was ready to kill older Ms.Kang only to be persuaded by old Madam Sheng to withdraw.As you rightly said the show does display human nature quite well.Even antagonists are given the humane touch.The protagonist also carry deep flaws. No one is painted unrealistically white.Even righteous CB doesn't escape.

Exactly! As she rightly said, when the pain is on others it's easy to be generous and sympathetic, but when the pain is on self, all compassion goes out the window. 

She didn't even flinch when she torture Mdm Kang's people for confession. 

And the way she had her revenge of CL, cold. 

Can u imagine if what she's capable of, with her intelligence, and her astuteness, if she didn't have granny as her moral compass?

Show did exceptionally showing that no one is saint. No one is all forgiving, because they are only human. Flawed.

They bear grudges, they give an eye for an eye. 

No one waits for karma to do their job...

9 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

@lclarakl a warm hello fm me too.. 

After seeing what happened to her late mum n stepmom, I am sure Molan knew her father and CB will not go easy on her. 

Molan has too much pride.. who knows she may hang herself (not out of self pity but to spite everyone?)

@Katrina Abdul Talib, hello chingu!! It's been a long time.

To be honest, I expected the father to still be grieving Molan's mothers death. He got over it fairly quickly.  Molan does have a lot of pride and she's also very selfish. She only does things that make her happy with no regards to how it will impact everyone in the long run. 

When she was trying to get her brother to tell her about the poisoning of their grandmother, he told her that she will never be happy.  She's so busy trying to compete against others that she can't enjoy her life.

@m0us3y, No, I didn't get any sleep.....:lol: It was too addictive for me to stop. Thanks for the welcome!! I'm glad to be here. It's a great thread!

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

It does not make sense .... 

Hmm, I think it's now upto understanding, for me, it actually consistent considering GTY's character, he is someone that won't show his sadness and will take the light part of the matter and turn it to humor in order to release tension.. And I think that's what the writer was going, everything was becoming too serious, and GTY is known for jokingly lessening the gravity of seriousness in the show like he did for the land case, that ML got angry over .. So it's not that he isn't sad about the predicaments ML is going through, he is rather afraid, sad, sorrowful but wants to make sure her own anxious and worried state is lessened

Archived