[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

18 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@GoldenFlower  Also we must not forget that ML marriage was the big event of the year something Molan always seen herself having.. She thought that marrying the Liang Count would give her all the extravagance that she thought she deserved only to be fooled by her and CL on foolishness.. Molan thought she being the Eldest that her beauty was above her younger sisters and she should be next in line to marry.. Being that Minglan was younger then her and had her MIL eyeing Minglan for her son and finding out QH never gave her the time of day not even in a thought was just to unacceptable for her.. Molan thought if she didn't act then she'll become and old spinster or a concubine like her mom..

Now did GTy actually get convicted of killing Aunt Kang.? Did the accusation hold up of him killing her in the court yard.? So all those people that was in Minglang room when Aunt Kang was there with a knife stabbing people are liars.. This has to be some sort of plan because none of it makes sense.. Here it is she was lock up behind Minglan only to go to her home and assits with a delivery.. I know the King can't be this densed.. Do they even mention the incident of her trying to kill Granny.. The more I type this the more I've come to the conclusion this has to be a setup for the ED..

Please explain the titles these houses carries..

Duke: IDK

Marquis: Pillar to the Royal Family.

Count: QH dad being married to the princess

@matrim  So the ED tried to barrow one from the previous Emperor concubine books.. The ED may be smart but pulling a move like this wouldn't fly with Minglan.. Her husband is already in the palace prison who she has seen already and probably that day.. Minglan read between the lines why would a Eunich come to her at house night wanting her to go to the palace can't be good.. So the Ed was going to use her to have GTY probably kill himself to save her or they both would be killed.. Most likely both would be killed.. The Ed wouldn't leave Minglan alive to tell the story of what she done.  Well the funny part to this is the ED never factored in the part if the person you need don't come.. Now she got her Eunichs put in a bind and no way to explain herself out of this.. 

This could be the reasons why she sent her soliders there..

I was wondering how could they take GTY marquis title from him.. He inherited his own title but also inherited the marquis title from his brother which generations of Gu's has died defending the country just like him.. This title is past down from generation to generation.. So GTY son his he next in line to inhherit the title not 3rd brother..  the Gus was part of founding the dynasty i wonder.. To strip him of his tile is a slap in the ancestors faces and a mark on the emperor himself.. Who would want to fight a war for him only to be treated like this. 

Oh Yes @lclarakl One of my favorites line from GTY is when he told his brother. Pretentious display of proper etiquett should be done.. OUCH.. Rub salt in the wounds..   

No, when ED launched the rebellion, GTY and I think Prince Huan and State Uncle Shen were not in the capital. They were out fighting battles. ED thought this was the perfect moment to strike as emperor's major forces were not with him and he was most vulnerable then. My speculation but I think it's not far from the real plot.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

@m0us3y @zenya22 I also agree with you that GTY needing to see ML being out of her clam self should not be included in this scene. I think he seeing her getting jealous and being unhappy, for him arranging Feng Sheng's living place (concubine given by his paternal aunt) after just a few days of giving birth and facing life and death situation, should have been enough.

However, he was so gleeful to the point of even wanting to hear personal account in details from someone present at the scene. This is one of those scenes which I believe the writers added unnecessarily, losing momentum for the characters and making the drama so long. 

@matrim According to my understanding of criminal punishment law in ancient China, an official who is just being demoted won't be imprisoned and exiled unless he is convicted of a crime. @linhlinh111 am I correct? General Shen addressed him as felon Gu and it was mentioned by ML, Empress and General Shen of GTY going to be exiled (in autumn). Hopefully, we will find out in details in today's 2 episodes what happened. I stop taking literally on writers' dialogues as I have caught many discrepancies as they don't seem to remember what is being said in previous episodes. (Recently, during fire rescue scene when being prevented from helping put out fire at Chen garden by his parents, QH mentioned his mom giving ML a bangle in token of being his younger sister but actually it was southern pearl necklaces that was being given to Sheng girls.) In preview below, Molan mentioned Wang Old Madam and stepmom winning and about GTY losing Marquess title (which she said the title which he attained by lying, stealing and forcing). 

https://www.weibo.com/tv/v/Hg8DmtKst?fid=1034:4338464385083531

@hello210 The emperor's decree regards to GTY's punishment hasn't been shown yet. We just saw the previews of his losing title mentioned by Molan (above preview) and he being about to be exiled. I do understand Marquess house won't be taken away if third brother going to inherit the title. Then, GTY won't be getting the title back and stepmom would have kicked ML out. Marquess house and Chen garden have sort of combined but not really as they just have a gate in the wall (it is different from the book) and garden around the wall. I guess I will stop speculating/ commenting until I saw the actual episodes. I'm rather doubtful of writers taking careful considerations for these details of taking away the houses seeing how things have been presented in recent episodes 73-74. 

@dito I was so amazed at the writers for bringing in Bai uncle just to accuse GTY wrongfully taking his grandfather inheritance by fake will, the case which happened over at least 12 years ago and already solved in favor of GTY by Yan Zhou prefect and SH who were government officials. I understand that they want to show that stepmom want to make GTY's integrity questionable and want to portray him being above the law in front of emperor and officials by bringing in MN and Bai uncle but it is so unnecessary to bring in a case that was already settled. I thought they will make something unlawful regards in salt trading and blame it on GTY like you predicted. MN accusing GTY of killing the son in front of her, really? They could have figured out how and when the son died by looking at his bones and compared with the time MN come to GTY's house and spreading rumors in the city.

This whole downfall story track has been very poorly incorporated. First of all, the stepmom going all out to bring down GTY does not make any sense, as she'll be getting the brunt of GTY's downfall too. If the charges are proven, not only GTY, the stepmom will loose everything too. She's living in the Gu house, living on GTY's properties, his money, his title. All of that would be taken away once he's found guilty. Stepmom, her son, the Gu uncles and cousins....there are all living on GTY's status. Taking his title away will also mean taking away everything that comes with it. That means every one of them including ML will become homeless.

If his crime had affected the state and the country, GTY's whole family could be sold as slaves. The two momo's who took Kang aunt away and tied her up in the Sheng house were actually from the house of the prince who rebelled before the new emperor came. In the book they were thankful that ML and GTY didn't hold that against them and were fair to them as masters.

Now if they had incorporated this storyline after the Gu house is divided and the family living separately....then I could understand stepmom's actions. Then GTY and the other Gu's would be separate families and will not be that affected by each other's actions.

Using the salt mines mismanagement would have been so much simpler and sensible .....if they did want to go over dramatic for the finale week.

And I was horrified at GTY showing his glee and happiness on hearing of ML's desperate begging in front of the empress.

Writers, do you even understand your drama's characters? 

This story didn't need to be this dramatic at this juncture, the finale was going to have more than enough drama. We had just finished a very emotional story track of the poisoning. Then the child birth surrounded by fire and the knife attack. At this time, the story needed to take a deep breathe and calm the f**k down to start the final rebellion track which had plenty of excitement. And if they wanted more excitement just make that part super dramatic. No need to add unnecessary stuff that don't even make sense. 

Theres a saying....Don't fix it, if its not broken. Screen writers need to understand that.

I think in the book it was a jade bangle instead of pearl necklace that QH's mom gifted to ML and the other girls. Did the writers forget what they wrote in the previous episodes? Or did they hire new writers for the last 10-12 episodes. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I am going to be honest here. I love this drama but I love Ming Lan I. The book more because her POV moments are hilarious. I started reading the book because I love reading ML as a child. She is so adorable. Many thanks for the scenes chingu 

Yes! Book ml is a riot! I love her modern take on ancient time, her witty commentary is what drew me to the book in the first place

45 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

LOL at the soldiers all looking down due to embarrassment 

it’s near the last episode, I’ll just stay away from this thread until the last ep finish getting subbed :P 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

6 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Yes! Book ml is a riot! I love her modern take on ancient time, her witty commentary is what drew me to the book in the first place

LOL at the soldiers all looking down due to embarrassment 

it’s near the last episode, I’ll just stay away from this thread until the last ep finish getting subbed :P 

Ha ha.. Can you??? :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

23 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Haha goodluck to you:grin: I mange to stay away from this thread for 5 days..and now here I am again:lol:whatta curse:tounge_xd:

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

41 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Ha ha.. Can you??? :joy:

29 minutes ago, nichiwoohee said:

Idk.. look at me still commenting :skull:

21 minutes ago, heatherbee said:

Haha goodluck to you:grin: I mange to stay away from this thread for 5 days..and now here I am again:lol:whatta curse:tounge_xd:

I'm super mad at the writers. So upset that after doing almost everything right...this drama started to falter at the end.

Still, I can't stay away....reading every post and watching previews.....waiting here with you all, for the finish. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

It does look like the emperor's side took advantage of all the bad guys ganging up on GTY and used the situation to bring down the ED.

So it may not have been planned from the start but when they got served with a good opportunity to take down ED,  the Emperor, GTY and Huan wang grabbed it with both hands.

I still think it'd have been much simpler to go with what the book had...instead of all these worms crawling out of the woodwork to create havoc.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, sava2sava said:

I was wondering how could they take GTY marquis title from him.. He inherited his own title but also inherited the marquis title from his brother which generations of Gu's has died defending the country just like him.. This title is past down from generation to generation.. So GTY son his he next in line to inhherit the title not 3rd brother..  the Gus was part of founding the dynasty i wonder.. To strip him of his tile is a slap in the ancestors faces and a mark on the emperor himself.. Who would want to fight a war for him only to be treated like this. 

Technically the Emperor can rip someone off their title and give it to his relative if the one holding the title proves undeserving of it. The title was bestowed on GTY's ancestors and is inherited by their descendants, it doesn't have to be GTY, he is just someone in line, it can be passed to the next person in line, which is his brother, or even his cousins. And by the law if GTY has been ripped off his title, his son is no longer eligible to inherit it.

1 hour ago, dito said:

This whole downfall story track has been very poorly incorporated. First of all, the stepmom going all out to bring down GTY does not make any sense, as she'll be getting the brunt of GTY's downfall too. If the charges are proven, not only GTY, the stepmom will loose everything too. She's living in the Gu house, living on GTY's properties, his money, his title. All of that would be taken away once he's found guilty. Stepmom, her son, the Gu uncles and cousins....there are all living on GTY's status. Taking his title away will also mean taking away everything that comes with it. That means every one of them including ML will become homeless.

If his crime had affected the state and the country, GTY's whole family could be sold as slaves. The two momo's who took Kang aunt away and tied her up in the Sheng house were actually from the house of the prince who rebelled before the new emperor came. In the book they were thankful that ML and GTY didn't hold that against them and were fair to them as masters.

Now if they had incorporated this storyline after the Gu house is divided and the family living separately....then I could understand stepmom's actions. Then GTY and the other Gu's would be separate families and will not be that affected by each other's actions.

Using the salt mines mismanagement would have been so much simpler and sensible .....if they did want to go over dramatic for the finale week.

And I was horrified at GTY showing his glee and happiness on hearing of ML's desperate begging in front of the empress.

Writers, do you even understand your drama's characters? 

This story didn't need to be this dramatic at this juncture, the finale was going to have more than enough drama. We had just finished a very emotional story track of the poisoning. Then the child birth surrounded by fire and the knife attack. At this time, the story needed to take a deep breathe and calm the f**k down to start the final rebellion track which had plenty of excitement. And if they wanted more excitement just make that part super dramatic. No need to add unnecessary stuff that don't even make sense. 

Theres a saying....Don't fix it, if its not broken. Screen writers need to understand that.

I think in the book it was a jade bangle instead of pearl necklace that QH's mom gifted to ML and the other girls. Did the writers forget what they wrote in the previous episodes? Or did they hire new writers for the last 10-12 episodes. 

I agree, there is so much scheming going on at the same time and some doesn't even make sense. It's dragging the drama too long and it feels tiresome to watch recent episodes.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

So who was the assassin who want to kill GTY's son? Her fighting skill is on par with Shitou, was she send by the palace, since she was kneeling outside the gate when ML beating the drum?

Also, Molan was laughing at ML only to find out her own marriage is falling apart. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

So who was the assassin who want to kill GTY's son? Her fighting skill is on par with Shitou, was she send by the palace, since she was kneeling outside the gate when ML beating the drum?

Also, Molan was laughing at ML only to find out her own marriage is falling apart. 

That was FengXian right?

The concubine that Stepmom gifted GTY via the Gu aunt.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

She is concubine Feng...Who became a martial arts expert while wearing the costume resembling the dark lord from star wars.

I believe empress was forced to reveal the plot to ML's continued advocating for her husband.Don't see why she would laugh like that and throw the headgear..

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

@shenmiao98 ah ok, didn't realise that she is the concubine because her fighting skill is really good. 

Also, is stepmom trying to kill GTW in the next episode?? :o and what is with MN coming back to kill the son again. I thought she is done for good after testifying at the court.

I really hope the writer shows a happy ending for Shitou x Xiaotao as well. I don't want only 5 minutes of happiness, I need like a whole episode of just pure happiness :phew:

• Like 5

@minglan1 I thought ML was just frustrated because the empress refused the help her out. That's why she threw the headgear (just my speculation). But on that note, what is the significance of that headgear, is that her symbol of title as Marchioness? Because when she threw it out, everyone was calling her crazy?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, shihuangdi said:

@shenmiao98 ah ok, didn't realise that she is the concubine because her fighting skill is really good. 

Also, is stepmom trying to kill GTW in the next episode?? :o and what is with MN coming back to kill the son again. I thought she is done for good after testifying at the court.

I really hope the writer shows a happy ending for Shitou x Xiaotao as well. I don't want only 5 minutes of happiness, I need like a whole episode of just pure happiness :phew:

Stepmom was just trying to punish GTW by placing him in the empty well. I'm guessing he saved ML's son from being stabbed by MN or helped attack masked assassins which his mom brought into Chen garden along with MN by opening the gate that divided the two compounds. 

MN killing ML's newborn son doesn't make sense at all since her son is no longer living and she cannot get GTY's properties without her son. ML was not involved or married to GTY when he banished MN from his house for her to take grudge at ML.  

The headgear was for third grade noble woman title. Everyone was thinking has she gone crazy because she was crying, then laughing, throwing away the headgear and saying idioms which are similar to saying "emperor discarded GTY after being used" in the middle of the street which most noble women won't do. 

Edited by Golden Flower
added more info
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

@minglan1 I thought ML was just frustrated because the empress refused the help her out. That's why she threw the headgear (just my speculation). But on that note, what is the significance of that headgear, is that her symbol of title as Marchioness? Because when she threw it out, everyone was calling her crazy?

What you mentioned can also be the reason for her hysterical laughter.Not sure on symbolism.Madam Wang also wore a headgear while petitioning as well as Madam Qin.Though the latter's one was different.

• Like 3