[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, lclarakl said:

It was my thought this was a plan between him, the King and his son. I go back to all the planning he did in order to get ML---so many plans and a good understanding of people. I also don't think that the consort to the King has as much influence as she think she does. I don't think being thrown into prison was planned to make ML confess her love for him, but I do think it's an extra bonus that he'll use to his advantage. ML not knowing the truth about the "plan" (if there really is one) is also a protection for her.

Exactly, ML not knowing is him protecting her from being too involved in the imperial power fight and her reaction of love is just a bonus he gets not that it's a test by him 

56 minutes ago, shihuangdi said:

Happy Camp with the cast. I hope someone would sub this eventually but the episode is very funny and seems like everyone is having fun at the set. Btw, Molan and Manniang look very pretty :wub:

They are so happy.. I'm so happy they are happy because they seem happy with each other.. And a lot of funny happiness was happening.. And it seems I am a happy poem writer:sweat_smile:

4 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Looks like Molan's husband has discovered what she has been up too.

@minglan1  Why is Molan so hell bent on interfering with Minglan matters.. I know it has to be more then her mom tablet reasons.. Even if it steems from jealousy what difference would it make.. It's not like she could marry GTY herself.. Wouldn't it be better for her to accept her Lil Sister married higher then her and to keep a good family relationship with her for the future of her children sake rather then continue to make more of and enemy to Minglan..  

@lclarakl  GTY has some hilarious diaologue in this drama.. I just sit back and wait for whatever is coming out of his mouth especially when dealing with stepmom the 4th and 5th house.. Love it when it tells the step mom her talent is a waste in the Gu house she needs to join the southern opera troupe..:w00t:

4 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

Looks like her husband mentions something about ML and how evil Molan and her mother are. Did he find out about Molan involvement in the releasing Aunt Kang?

@shihuangdi  I'm wondering since her plan to barrow Aunt Kangs knife to kill Ming Lang, Have she hookup with Evil Step Mom.. It seens she trying to strike Minglan while GTY is supposed to be out of the equation with the courts and loosing his position.. If so I hope she gets found out and husband kicks her out of the home for good..  

45 minutes ago, frenchfan said:
2 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

If Molan gets divorce, would she return to the Sheng house? Or where would she live then?

Not sure her dad would want her back since this will be a shameful event for the family.  :grimace:

@shihuangdi & @frenchfan It's not so much about what SH says now it comes down to CB he seems to have the final say in all matters regarding the Sheng household.. CB would think if Molan don't get her way or if he does something she might not like given her personality and her past she's bold enough to kill his child..   CB wouldn't let her back in the home just because of her past actions regardless to how much SH dotes on her in the past.. I think she'll be sent to live at the farm or a temple.. 

23 hours ago, jongski said:

@sava2sava you watching this show too. Me as well. I binge watch this 3days 10 episodes each.

I like to curl that hair of 4th sister molan! grrr! That mother and daughter! :angry:

Yes @jongski I'm watching this one also.. I haven't watch any Kdrama because I've been so invested in this one also the thread for the past few weeks.. Also seeing @lclarakl  Has drop in, Hello,  

22 hours ago, lclarakl said:

However, this story settled down nicely and I loved how they developed the relationship between Ming Lan and Gu. I love the manly, comic side of Gu. I didn't find him as attractive as young man, but I find him extremely attractive as an adult male.

@lclarakl  GTY is the Man amongst the Men in this drama, 

23 hours ago, Suzzy San said:

I think it's a rebel period and GTY was never exiled he was just put down in power and made a foot soldier.. Then I think from the novel they just went to another place out of the country after he was reinstated and as a political mission for his position.. ED definitely knows that he still supports prince Huan and if prince Huan becomes the next king GTY will in no time come back to power and will deal with her.. 

@Suzzy San  The Ed knows this she didn't ask the concubine (her niece) for her child with no reason.. She needs that child to remain in power and the bloodline will change eventually why not change it to keep part of her family linege involved in the royal court.. Also if her rebellion comes through she can place the child on the throne and she rule behind the curtain until she's dead..  The Ed needs GTy out of the picture for good so her plans can come to fruitation.. She knows GTY can read her and foul up whatever she tries to do..  

1 hour ago, Caley Webster said:

Hey all, does anyone have a copy of the new episode schedule? I remember it being posted here but haven't been able to find it in this long thread :) Cheers and thanks in advance!

New broadcast schedule 

61aabfe8ly1g00lrbuo6kj211g2ex7i9.jpg

2 hours ago, frenchfan said:

Not sure her dad would want her back since this will be a shameful event for the family.  :grimace:

I'm not sure but based on my knowledge on historical practices, unless her father openly disowns her (which he won't do cuz it will stir up a public scandal), he has to take her back. Not only that, to avoid public eye the divorce will be done as quiet as possible. What he does to her after that though, is behind closed doors. It can either be being grounded or exiled for life. Or he can give a signal to her husband to kill her off in silence (I don't think he would do that but possible). All and all, they will deal with it underground.

These are 2 methods that are usually used in this kind of situation if both parties are smart. Another stupid method is that the husband kicks her out while the father refuses to take her back. Letting her loose is usually the root to another trouble.

So we have ML who just came back from her trip to hell, still recovering from childbirth, doing everything within her means to save GTY, going to the Shen's, going to Empress, putting everything on the line, literally begging the Empress, fainting outside trying to seek justice (as seen in the trailer), crying in silence, all the pain and agony, the heartbreak....

And GTY is HAPPY??

I might be in the minority, and I'm hoping (badly) that there is more to it...but I'm not impressed. 

It's just wrong...on so many levels...:tears:

18 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

So we have ML who just came back from her trip to hell, still recovering from childbirth, doing everything within her means to save GTY, going to the Shen's, going to Empress, putting everything on the line, literally begging the Empress, fainting outside trying to seek justice (as seen in the trailer), crying in silence, all the pain and agony, the heartbreak....

And GTY is HAPPY??

I might be in the minority, and I'm hoping (badly) that there is more to it...but I'm not impressed. 

It's just wrong...on so many levels...:tears:i

It's not happiness per say, I think it's more like a soft emotional state for him seeing her do so much for him and I guess that was why he also cried while they were talking in prison.. He feels sorry and sad he dragged her into all this, but he is also greatful that she does so much for him,.... Like 'omg she is really doing all this for me, really thank you but I really don't want to see you sad anymore'.. So he cried but pretends to still be cool with the situation like the pride GTY he is.. :tears:

Just now, Suzzy San said:

It's not happiness per say, I think it's more like a soft emotional state for him seeing her do so much for him and I guess that was why he also cried while they were talking in prison.. He feels sorry and sad he dragged her into all this, but he is also greatful that she does so much for him,.... Like 'omg she is really doing all this for me, really thank you but I really don't want to see you sad anymore'.. So he cried but pretends to still be cool with the situation like the pride GTY he is.. :tears:

I hope you are right...hence I added that I'm hoping I'm interpreting the previews wrongly and there is more to it. 

GTY should be grateful that he has such a wife, that someone is willing to do everything for him, and love him unconditionally, for better or worse, through good times and bad.

But being grateful also means that he would be sad to see her suffering so much for him..which is why I said being HAPPY is just wrong...

For someone who wouldn't allow anyone to hurt her, being happy seeing her suffer so much because of him is....not cool...at all..

Him putting a brave front for her so that she doesn't crumble seeing him fall, would be consistent with his character...so I hope you are right...

4 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I hope you are right...hence I added that I'm hoping I'm interpreting the previews wrongly and there is more to it. 

GTY should be grateful that he has such a wife, that someone is willing to do everything for him, and love him unconditionally, for better or worse, through good times and bad.

But being grateful also means that he would be sad to see her suffering so much for him..which is why I said being HAPPY is just wrong...

For someone who wouldn't allow anyone to hurt her, being happy seeing her suffer so much because of him is....not cool...at all..

Him putting a brave front for her so that she doesn't crumble seeing him fall, would be consistent with his character...so I hope you are right..

So true, if you want to understand a little, you can go watch ep 74 TV version, the full scene is there.. Prepare some tissues though, it sure made me cry, because I feel that scene showed how the high and mighty GTY crumbled in the embrace of his wife :bawling:

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

And GTY is HAPPY??

Agree, it does not make any sense.... any man would be so damn worried especially with a newborn baby... I would think if GTY was going to be happy it was because his wife, his baby and the rest of the family are safe and alive. When safety of the family is at stake, when wife and rest of family are facing danger, all petty concerns fly out the window. Same thing when a wife welcomes a husband who just faced danger, example gone to war and survived, she would just be happy to see her husband alive and well and nothing else matters. 

12 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@minglan1  Why is Molan so hell bent on interfering with Minglan matters.. I know it has to be more then her mom tablet reasons.. Even if it steems from jealousy what difference would it make.. It's not like she could marry GTY herself.. Wouldn't it be better for her to accept her Lil Sister married higher then her and to keep a good family relationship with her for the future of her children sake rather then continue to make more of and enemy to Minglan..  

Molan is a very greedy person who isn't content with what she has like her mother. She also doesn't know her station. After Molan finding out her mom caused ML's mom death, she probably thought that ML would never help her in the future. ML and GTY didn't give invitation to their house-warming party to Molan by planning so that Liang Han and his mother went out of town. Molan got the invitation from stepmom. She might also believe that she would not need ML's help given her husband's family background. Plus, her intention is to make ML's life miserable and ML's status lower than her. 

I don't think Molan's jealousy of ML is not getting to "marry GTY" per se. She knows GTY has no interest in her as he always wanted to marry di daughter and she also thought that he has bad reputation. She just always wanted to be above all her sisters as she thought that her beauty and talents are above them. In the beginning, she compete mainly with HL and RL as they're di daughters and she is a shu. Later, QH, the person Molan always admired and wanted to get married likes ML. She didn't make a big ruckus about QH, though reported to SH about ML and QH playing Polo together, since she did not know QH wanted to marry ML as his principal wife and they didn't end up getting married. However, she knew that her MIL wanted ML as DIL not her and that's why she tried to ruin ML's face. She had to go through underhanded method to get married to Liang Han, she has no children and her husband has many concubines. I'm pretty sure her life is miserable, needing to deal with MIL who is not fond of her, many SILs (her husband is 6th son and youngest) and concubines of her husband. She probably thinks ML life is great not needing to live with MIL, not having to deal with concubines, getting full attention and love from husband, becoming noble woman and Marquess wife as young age.

ML not allowing her mom spiritual tablet to be worshipped at the temple and causing her husband to be suspicious of her also made her furious. This is the first time in her life she didn't get what she wanted. So, she is not only jealous of ML but she hates her to guts. She has been saying bad things about ML to QH's wife and GTY's stepmom. It seems that people who're jealous of ML and regard her as their enemy since ML didn't comply with their wishes, become close to stepmom. She probably lost it when ML was allowed to solve Sheng's family affairs while she was scolded by SH for wanting to know and involve in maiden's family affair instead of her own affairs.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

And GTY is HAPPY??

She did go to the sheng and empress before meeting him at the prison cell.. But the fainting and pleading to the emperor until fainting happened after that. I don't think gty wanted her to do that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNPHs8MgLl8

Someone named Sandman Lee was nice enough to translate this scene on youtube. 

they wrote 

"Some brief translation. Sorry for my poor English. 0:00 ML: Anyway, he'll be exiled after autumn. We still have time to think up something. Pity I've made the royal family unhappy. General Shen and Madam Zhang said they'll help me to persuade the Empress. ChangBai: You always act after thoroughly planning before. This time you've been too anxious. 0:30 General Shen, Empress's brother: Now I have no proper man to lead the army. Wish your Majesty delay the penalty to the criminal Gu, and send him to help me to conquer the rebels. I'll watch him back afterward. Emperor: He's not the only one who's qualified for this mission. General Shen: He's a talented general with full knowledge of the geography of the border. Emperor: Shut up. 0:56 Maid Xiang: Why did the Empress Dowager suggest Wang family, to support the idea of letting Gu join this military mission? Qin: If Gu stays prisoned here, he can easily find support from all his friends in the capital. It would be hard for the Empress Dowager to hurt him. However, if he dies in the war fire, who can blame her? Xiang: So we only need to wait for his death? Qin: This rebel comes just at the perfect time. (turns around) Everything is coming to the end."

So from this I think it's safe to assume that he gets out of jail and comes back home in time to stop the ED. 

7 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Molan is a very greedy person who isn't content with what she has like her mother. She also doesn't know her station. After Molan finding out her mom caused ML's mom death, she probably thought that ML would never help her in the future. She might also believe that she would not need ML's help given her husband's family background. ML didn't give invitation to her house warming party to Molan by planning so that Liang Han and her mother went out of town. Molan got the invitation from stepmom. 

I don't think Molan's jealousy of ML is not getting to "marry GTY" person per se. She knows GTY has no interest in her as he always wanted to marry di daughter and she also thought that he has bad reputation. She just always wanted to be above all her sisters as she thought that her beauty and talents are above them. In the beginning, mainly, HL and RL as they're di daughters and she is shu. 

Later, QH, the person Molan always admired and wanted to get married likes ML. She didn't make a big ruckus about QH, though reported to SH about them playing Polo together, since she did not know QH wanted to marry ML as his principal wife and they didn't end up getting married. However, she knew that her MIL wanted ML as DIL not her and that's why she tried to ruin ML's face. She had to go through underhanded method to get married to Liang Han, she has no children and her husband has many concubines. I'm pretty sure her life is miserable, needing to deal with MIL who is not fond of her, many SILs (her husband is 6th son and youngest) and concubines of her husband. In her opinion, ML life is great not needing to live with MIL, getting full attention and love from husband, becoming noble woman and Marquess wife as young age. ML not allowing her mom spiritual tablet to be worshipped at the temple and causing her husband to be suspicious of her also made her furious. This is the first time in her life she didn't get what she wanted. So, she is not only jealous of ML but she hates her to guts. She has been saying bad things about ML to QH's wife and GTY's stepmom. It seems that people who're jealous of ML and regard her as their enemy since ML didn't comply with their wishes, become close to stepmom. 

She probably lost it when ML was allowed to involve in Sheng's family affairs while she was scolded by SH for wanting to involve in maiden's family affair instead of her own affairs.

She and auntie kang are the same. They have unhappy home so that they set to destroy the happines of their sibling. 

4 hours ago, sava2sava said:

Molan is one of the original villains who has been faithfully playing the part since the start.I guess the writer wanted her to also do the villainous bit with the others in the end.:P

Jokes apart,Molan suffers from a superiority complex wrt her sisters.She had connived to marry as a legal wife of a count.The Shengs were supposed to be in awe of her position and revere it.

Instead ML steals her thunder in addition enjoys her husband's steadfast devotion, has birthed a male heir..Even Rulan managed to get a loyal and loving husband.Molan has to get even or make their lives as miserable as hers...Therein lies her solace.

Archived