[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

I'm upset with ML father. How can he scold ML and say ML brings shame to family for horse riding. If it was Ruolan who did that race, he would have praised her to no end. So biased.

I don’t think his reaction would have been as bad if QH was not her partner. With the way Molan was acting in the carriage ride back, pretty she made a point of it to their father. But that was CF’s fault for quitting leaving ML without a partner...haha, he didn’t want to be humiliated by GTY again like in pitch-pot.

Reminds me of when grandma told Momo, the more you praise ML, the more the other two (mainly Molan) will act up against her. And most of the crowd were praising ML for her polo play.

@icyphoenix best of luck on your exams.

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

I also really like how ML is playing "blind and deaf" all the while learning and knowing whats happening. 

Its telling that she's lying low. In the class with Momo, when Molan turned up and Rulan commented that concubine Lin prolly used some low tricks to get the daughter in there, it clearly shows that ML was listening, but she just turned her head and continues "sleeping". 

While her actions was "exposed" by Momo, ML has successfully fooled everyone else. Hence even when she has her own court and is now managing the finances of the house, both moms still think that she's merely a puppet for grandma! Which obviously lowers their guard against her. 

So while she's quiet, and playing "blind and deaf", the ones who are truly "blind and deaf" are those who are the loudest in the house. 

@m0us3yWell said

4 hours ago, m0us3y said:

@frenchfan

I believe both QH and GTY love (Or will love) ML, in their own way. 

The difference though is that QH puts her on the pedestal, and try to protect her (probably to her, and his own detriment), while GTY seems to want to set ML free, to be who she really is. For he could see that beneath her calm and serene face, is probably a depressed and lonely person, suppressing herself, for some peace, and more importantly, for her survival. 

I love what you said but i think this perfectly describes the two guys so well. 

QH wants to protect her while GTY want's to set her free. 

Perfectly describes them. 

https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

Hit its highest online viewers yet at 206m on the 4th.

TV rating's here also.

https://cdramabase.com/tv-ratings/

I'll explain a bit about what is happening with the maids from both mothers. When sons of a rich family set up their own courtyard around age 10-11... they are given servants and maids.  Outer yard servants were lowest rank...doing menial jobs and becoming an inner yard servant was a very competitive field. Inner yard servants had less back breaking jobs and were in charge of taking care of their master and his needs....his clothes, food and other personal needs. So when they come of age most likely these young masters have taken some of these inner yard maids to their bed. It was allowed as the parents didn't want their sons becoming regulars at brothels and ruin their family name. And sometimes the girls were themselves willing... to raise their status. But these maids were never allowed to become concubines and taken inside the house and given their own place. Any kids borne by them will not be legitimate.

Da niang had originally sent over 4-5 maids to Chang bai but he only took one of them to his bed.....the quietest one ....Yangbao(sheep). I don't remember about Changfeng but most likely he already has a few of them...

So these 2 maids were sent by both mothers first, for spying on ML but more importantly, I think...to keep them away from their sons....as either they started getting ideas to raise their ranks by sleeping with the young masters or they were sincerely crushing on them. Both not a good idea when they'll be bringing in main wives pretty soon.

So ML was being very cunning in sending the maid who had a crush on Changbai to serve him so that he'd get offended by her and get her ousted.....and Lin niang's head maid was purposely taken by the route on which ML knew CF will be meeting the other one...so she can report to her mistress that the maid was still in contact with the young master.

I don't know if they will add the scene after that....

Spoiler

For the first time ML deliberately manipulated her brother whom she liked a lot. She was so distressed on how she had used him that she cried in granny's arms that she didn't want to do stuff like this.

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I love what you said but i think this perfectly describes the two guys so well. 

QH wants to protect her while GTY want's to set her free. 

Perfectly describes them. 

https://cdramabase.com/online-ratings/

So true. Imo, letting someone be free and herself is the deepest and most mature form of love.

Spoiler

And this is why their big fight will be when he realises she doesnt feel free enough with him. 

Can someone explain, after hes done with his mistress will he not have any women now? I just saw someone said somewhere else that after this mistress theres going to be his legitimate wife with her affair. Sorry guys pls help a sister out. A sister is confused haha

9 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Can someone explain, after hes done with his mistress will he not have any women now? I just saw someone said somewhere else that after this mistress theres going to be his legitimate wife with her affair. Sorry guys pls help a sister out. A sister is confused haha

Spoiler

I think there is a legitimate wife but i think something happens to her , either kicked out or killed so that is how ML becomes the main wife and im pretty sure when ML is the main wife he still has other women but he does not sleep with those.

I wouldnt mind if this cheating wife is just not in the show though. 

34 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Spoiler

He’s supposed to marry someone from the Yu family. Since Maniang ruined the match with Yanrun, I think it’s going to be her third sister (the mean one in red from the polo match). Haven’t watched ep 18 yet but it looks like the Yu grandparents and Yanrun says no due to Maniang’s little act, but the parents are going to replace her with the sister because they know GTY’s older brother will eventually die and he’s next in line for the title. At least that’s my guess from my limited mandarin since the subs aren’t done yet for ep 18. He’s only marrying because he needs a wife due to the kids. They don’t get along and while he’s away, she cheats on him with his cousin and gets pregnant. In the novel spoilers site, she was caught by stepmom and Maniang tricked her into taking abortion medicine. First wife dies from bleeding because of miscarriage. Don’t know how they’re going to do it in the drama though since in the novel, the first wife was from another branch of Yu family and not main line like in the drama.

Pretty much stepmom and Maniang are the worst when it comes to messing with GTY’s life. But it stepmom didn’t find out about the affair, the First wife would have gotten away with tricking GTY about the baby though she didn’t deserve to die like that.

Marriage to ML is later after he’s become a general. GTY can’t really catch a break with his personal life until ML.

16 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Also, speaking of Qi Heng in the drama, there is something bothering me. All of his effort to pursuit Ming Lan was very cute and sweet, but I just keep thinking, that she told him it would be hard to be together, he's aware of that fact, but does he have any plan at all? Like any strategy to convince his parents and such? Right now, I feel like he should be more prepared to take on obstacles if he wants to marry her for real.

It bothered me that they made QH’s character so sheltered and naive that ML had to spell it out for him in ep17 about the differences in consequences for men and women if they were seen alone together. This really shows me that he hasn’t really thought things through except if they get caught, he’ll do everything to bring her into his family...but I don’t think he realizes that his parents would never allow her to be the main wife since they need that position for a bride that will add to their power and prestige. 

I also think it’s funny and contradicting that after her little talk with QH, ML didn’t pay any mind to propriety when she was arguing in public with GTY. Really starting to see the contrast in her behavior with the two leads now. GTY can really provoke her.

16 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Yeah, I'm the one who called him the "wet blanket", wow, I didn't think it would bother everyone so much :sweatingbullets:

Generally, I don't hate him, I'm just not feeling his character much. Like someone said before I think he's sweet, but he lacks backbone, which is understandable since his life has been quite easy growing up, he just simply didn't have enough training to rebel "effectively" like GTY. I do believe that he loves her a lot, till the day he dies, but it doesn't change the fact that I think he didn't try hard enough. It will be different in the drama though, since the drama put so much more effort in his character than in the book, they won't let him give up that easily.

What really bothers me was the fact that he named his children after Ming Lan, honestly, at that point, I stopped feeling bad for him and moved on to feeling bad for his actual wife, the actual mother of the twin. Having to live with the knowledge that her children were named after her husband first love? Yikes.

Also, speaking of Qi Heng in the drama, there is something bothering me. All of his effort to pursuit Ming Lan was very cute and sweet, but I just keep thinking, that she told him it would be hard to be together, he's aware of that fact, but does he have any plan at all? Like any strategy to convince his parents and such? Right now, I feel like he should be more prepared to take on obstacles if he wants to marry her for real.

Spoiler

This is actually a misunderstanding (explained in the book). Al the kids in his children' generation in Qi family have the word Ming in their name as a family tradition, but ML doesn't know that so she thinks QH names them after her. All of his wives are from arranged marriages, and he treats them the best he could as a husband, he just doesn't love them.

As for to decide if he has tried hard enough, as long as he doesn't get the girl in the end, it means that he hasn't tried every ways possible, but I guess if he had that would be out of character.

One thing I don't like about GTY is how he get ML. He basically tricks and forces the Sheng family to marry her off to him. I understand that bc of his past, he would never get a yes from grandma so he has to go around a bit, but he also keeps it from ML. If he thinks he is a better spouse for ML, why not explain it to her? He knows that ML is a smart, realistic girl so she would have understood. He has many chances along the way to talk to her, but he waits until everything is set and she finds out herself. He never gives her a choice. It may sounds romantic in the book, but in reality this is an act of selfishness and disrespect. He literary pushes his opinion onto her without hearing her voice. Maybe bc he knows the kind of life in his family is not the kind that she wants and she would have refused, so he just goes on with his plan and never give her a chance to decline. And in fact after they got married ML is faced with many dangers, in many situations he is actually helpless in protecting her, she would have died several times if she made just one wrong move, something that would never happened if she were to marry off into the He family (the one her grandma picks for her). They got a happy ending at last (bless them, I got a heart attack several times along the way, but I still don't like his way of doing things. I was so pissed at him a lot of times (doesn't mean I support ML with QH though. It's hard to say who is a better match, but with her ability, she will still be fine married to either of them)

1 hour ago, hello210 said:

It bothered me that they made QH’s character so sheltered and naive that ML had to spell it out for him in ep17 about the differences in consequences for men and women if they were seen alone together. This really shows me that he hasn’t really thought things through except if they get caught, he’ll do everything to bring her into his family...but I don’t think he realizes that his parents would never allow her to be the main wife since they need that position for a bride that will add to their power and prestige. 

I also think it’s funny and contradicting that after her little talk with QH, ML didn’t pay any mind to propriety when she was arguing in public with GTY. Really starting to see the contrast in her behavior with the two leads now. GTY can really provoke her.

GTY has a worse rep so arguing with him would not mean as much as with QH so i understand that. 

3 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

GTY has a worse rep so arguing with him would not mean as much as with QH so i understand that. 

Besides, GTY is Ershu, 2nd uncle. It means he is like a distant relative from and older generation (although he is not that old), so at the time she is considering him an elder, she doesn't have to care that much about the man-woman boundary. More, GTY is not the one everyone is going after (no women want to marry him), so it's less dangerous to talk to him. She avoids QH bc he brings trouble, not bc she doesn't want to talk to him.

3 hours ago, bulubulu said:

What happened? I read somewhere his son is gone

I saw in the trailer that when Man Niang was discovered by GTY for her deceitful and threacherous ways (he confronted her), she left taking the son with her but leaving their daughter with him.

Archived