[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

About Qi Heng:

In the book, QH is the one character that I regret most. I disagree to some pp saying that he's a 'wet blanket' or he doesn't fight hard enough for ML. The point is that he is in a situation where he's not allowed to fight, unlike GTY (He doesn't have to fight much to marry ML). GTY grows up in a family where no one loves him and everybody is bullying or taking advantageous of him, so he has a valid reason to be rebellious, and he doesn't have the responsibility to marry for the family. QH, on the other hand, receives all the love and caring from his parent. This is his blessing but also his curse, because when his family ask him to give back, he is responsible to do so, not because he can't be independent without his status. It would be extremely selfish of him to abandon his family to be with ML, as his parents love him so much. His 'baggage' is much more heavier than GTY, he's in a situation he cannot escape. 

Hide contents

In the book, he marries 3 time (all arranged marriages). He never has a mistress and is a responsible faithful husband to all of his wives. But the first 2 dies early without producing an heir, the third one also dies early after giving him 2 sons. He never marries again, lives alone raising his children himself (which is extremely rare at the time due to his status). When he is old, he comes to visit Sheng Chengbai (ML's brother) and see a little girl resembling ML very much. That girl is Chengbai's granddaughter and also a daughter from a concubine. He asks Chengbai to marry her off to one of his grandson. He would watch them happily married with a few children, then he dies of old age, holding the gifts that ML gave him. 

So QH is never less of a man than GTY, and he loves ML just as much for all his life. He is just not the suitable one. He gives up on ML to take the responsibility he has to take. Later in marriage when GTY get jealous, ML tells him she does not love QH, but she would always feel guilty towards him, as he has loved her with all his heart, and he was ready to fight to marry her, but she selfishly reject him because she wasn't ready to face the storm to be with him.

In a context where all characters from both sides have their own calculations (even the 2 mains), he is the only one who is pure, gentle, kind and never shows any dark side in his heart, and not because he is protected too well (as he encounters hardship later in life) but because he chooses to be such and he remains so till the end. It's also the reason why I love him so much. He is a lovable all-good yet tragic character. In the end everyone has a happy ending except him. I think the author wants to leave a lingering regret in the readers, and he is the unlucky chosen victim.

Spoiler

Omg this sounds so damn heart breaking and so similar to Fuheng , if its true that QH wanted to fight for it but ML said no then people should not say anything about him being a wet blanket. 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

ML also did not want to marry GTY at first, but that did not falter Gty. He used every means and persuasion to change minglan's mind and devised a situation  to force sheng family to agree to marry ML to him. In turn of effort GTY's efforts were more that QH. As fsf pointed out during the press con, the lesson from the drama to QH, if you really like someone, get her quickly. QH' s efforts was not enough, thus he lost. The best man wins. 

Spoiler

FOR GTY to rebel was much easier than QH if QH went against his parents the princess could just have ML killed easily. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

That's why I said he's not the suitable one for ML. He is a different type of character than GTY. He is a noble gentleman and would never use tricks to get ML like GTY (not saying GTY's way is wrong, just different). He would never force ppl against their will to fullfill his own pleasure, as it's not his way of doing things. This is not about who wins. I just want to prove that he is an extremely good person and he loves ML just as much as GTY. He is just not the right man and could not give her what she wants. He also knows that ML could not be happy with him, that's why when ML's about to get married to GTY, he tells her that GTY is a good man and wish her a happy carefree life. All his life he never once wrongs anyone, and it's exactly why he's miserable. There are many kinds of love, and his kind is not the 'main character's type'. But the fact that he gives up on ML doesn't mean that he doesn't love her enough. I really want him to get over ML later and love someone else, but he ends up alone, loving her till he dies. The author is just too cruel to him, he should have gotten the happy ending he deserves.

I don’t think anyone feels that he’s not a good character or doesn’t love ML as much. All of them are shaped by their circumstances. I’ve pointed it out before that QH is trapped in his because unlike GTY he can’t fully rebel. I think in the drama he tries though, just not very successfully from the way the previews look. All his life, everything has come easy because of his status and so to me the writer gave him the tragedy of unobtainable love because of his duty to his status. It is very sad and hopefully like others have said, he gets a better ending in the drama. 

It seems that no one escapes from having to bear some kind of penance in this novel, though some will end better than others because they bore theirs in the beginning. Even 2nd Brother who hardly does anything wrong has to bear the brunt of his parents mis-doings later on. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Just finished watching ep 16 with subs. Really invigorating. Zly once had an accident with horse during a filming and she kind of fear of horses since the. Glad that she has overcome it

Where did you watch ep 15 and 16 with subs?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Im not sure if she remembers that he helped get the doctor to her mum does she? 

I am assuming she does @ForgottenSoulx after all she gave him something her mother stitched. She gave it to when she was traveling to Deng Prefecture. She handed to him by the boat. Do you remember ? If she doesn’t , she will remember some day. What do you think??

@linhlinh111 and @hello210 You are both correct QH is actually a good catch but their circumstances made it tough for these two.   My opinion on QH isn’t bad but trouble some because Infeared he would never get over her. Watching ML has made me realize she doesn’t even like him but he does make her heart waver because his word are so engaging and raw. His confession was so raw, it made my heart beat and it made ML’s heart beat too. His persistence is adorable. QH ans ML would have been very happy but their love won’t be passionate, burning hot love. That is why I hoped he would find happiness in the end.  It was sweet and proof that he is in love with her. He would have been a great husband, but like      His circumstances will stop him from being her protector. QH is type to love only one in a lifetime and even GTY can love once in a lifetime. GTY doesn’t love his mistress but love that she loves him and gave him a family. Those kids are what he loved, it was never her. The sense of belonging is what he loved. I hope this makes sense

• Like 7

Yeah, I'm the one who called him the "wet blanket", wow, I didn't think it would bother everyone so much :sweatingbullets:

Generally, I don't hate him, I'm just not feeling his character much. Like someone said before I think he's sweet, but he lacks backbone, which is understandable since his life has been quite easy growing up, he just simply didn't have enough training to rebel "effectively" like GTY. I do believe that he loves her a lot, till the day he dies, but it doesn't change the fact that I think he didn't try hard enough. It will be different in the drama though, since the drama put so much more effort in his character than in the book, they won't let him give up that easily.

What really bothers me was the fact that he named his children after Ming Lan, honestly, at that point, I stopped feeling bad for him and moved on to feeling bad for his actual wife, the actual mother of the twin. Having to live with the knowledge that her children were named after her husband first love? Yikes.

Also, speaking of Qi Heng in the drama, there is something bothering me. All of his effort to pursuit Ming Lan was very cute and sweet, but I just keep thinking, that she told him it would be hard to be together, he's aware of that fact, but does he have any plan at all? Like any strategy to convince his parents and such? Right now, I feel like he should be more prepared to take on obstacles if he wants to marry her for real.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I am assuming she does @ForgottenSoulx after all she gave him something her mother stitched. She gave it to when she was traveling to Deng Prefecture. She handed to him by the boat. Do you remember ? If she doesn’t , she will remember some day. What do you think??

ML does remember about GTY’s help. She made the statement in the earlier episodes ( ep 5 ?) about how it’s been so long and GTY has returned from his studies and it’s been so long since her mother died...but she I think she can’t acknowledge that she remembers because Concubine Lin will take action against her to keep what really happened from being revealed...hence all the secret investigation stuff with her Aunt. It’s also why she knew they could turn to GTY for help when the servants were going to hit the court drums. She very sharp with subtlety...like when she told her maid to hang the scroll from Molan next to the scroll from her mother so they’ll never forget. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Im not sure if she remembers that he helped get the doctor to her mum does she? 

Both of them remember, Ming Lan even use that memory to defend him to her friend Yanran and Yanran's grandma in ep 17/18.

By the way, I've seen many people wonder why they seem like strangers. Truthfully, I find it weird that everyone seems to expect the two to be close just because he helped her once, but other than that, they are practically stranger, acquaintances at best. Sure, he helped her a big favor that she will remember for life, but (1) she's already thanked him, (2) they haven't met for years, and (3) man and woman in that period need to keep a safe distance from each other. Afaik, they haven't had any interactions after her mother died and before meeting again in Scholar Zhuang's class, so it makes sense that they are not close.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Both of them remember, Ming Lan even use that memory to defend him to her friend Yanran and Yanran's grandma in ep 17/18.

By the way, I've seen many people wonder why they seem like strangers. Truthfully, I find it weird that everyone seems to expect the two to be close just because he helped her once, but other than that, they are practically stranger, acquaintances at best. Sure, he helped her a big favor that she will remember for life, but (1) she's already thanked him, (2) they haven't met for years, and (3) man and woman in that period need to keep a safe distance from each other. Afaik, they haven't had any interactions after her mother died and before meeting again in Scholar Zhuang's class, so it makes sense that they are not close.

Minglan was not a chatty person even with her own relative (except grandma) , in which changbai admit so to their father. Thus, it was reasonable for her not to be very familiar and chatty with Ershu. She still politely acknowledge him everytime she meet him. They are not stranger yet not a friend. just an acquitance. 

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

I agree. Other than the fact that GTY and CB remained good friends, easier for them to maintain contact being males, GTY studied elsewhere. It would have been major taboo for them to be close since they’re not even related. Her sisters are already breaking protocol by calling QH Yunruo Gege because they studied together for many years but then those two tend to do what they want. Rulan follows suit to mess with Molan which is awesome.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Yeah, I'm the one who called him the "wet blanket", wow, I didn't think it would bother everyone so much :sweatingbullets:

Generally, I don't hate him, I'm just not feeling his character much. Like someone said before I think he's sweet, but he lacks backbone, which is understandable since his life has been quite easy growing up, he just simply didn't have enough training to rebel "effectively" like GTY. I do believe that he loves her a lot, till the day he dies, but it doesn't change the fact that I think he didn't try hard enough. It will be different in the drama though, since the drama put so much more effort in his character than in the book, they won't let him give up that easily.

What really bothers me was the fact that he named his children after Ming Lan, honestly, at that point, I stopped feeling bad for him and moved on to feeling bad for his actual wife, the actual mother of the twin. Having to live with the knowledge that her children were named after her husband first love? Yikes.

Also, speaking of Qi Heng in the drama, there is something bothering me. All of his effort to pursuit Ming Lan was very cute and sweet, but I just keep thinking, that she told him it would be hard to be together, he's aware of that fact, but does he have any plan at all? Like any strategy to convince his parents and such? Right now, I feel like he should be more prepared to take on obstacles if he wants to marry her for real.

Spoiler

Actually, it was not QH who named the children after Minglan. Minglan misunderstood it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Yeah i remember that scene but im not sure she re member's the person exactly who she gave it to because im pretty sure he does not remember or does he? They will both remember each other im sure. 

11 hours ago, gleek49 said:

Im not that bothered at all and you dont have to feel or like him not everyone need's the same opinions or thought's, from whats been said here QH was ready to announce to everyone his love for ML and fight for her but she did not want that. 

If ML was ok with it i think he would have rebelled but he didnt because then it would hurt ML and he still would not get her. 

11 hours ago, hello210 said:

ML does remember about GTY’s help. She made the statement in the earlier episodes ( ep 5 ?) about how it’s been so long and GTY has returned from his studies and it’s been so long since her mother died...but she I think she can’t acknowledge that she remembers because Concubine Lin will take action against her to keep what really happened from being revealed...hence all the secret investigation stuff with her Aunt. It’s also why she knew they could turn to GTY for help when the servants were going to hit the court drums. She very sharp with subtlety...like when she told her maid to hang the scroll from Molan next to the scroll from her mother so they’ll never forget. 

Maybe you are right but i dont think GTY remember's her or at least did not at the start maybe he has a clue now. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

Minglan was not a chatty person even with her own relative (except grandma) , in which changbai admit so to their father. Thus, it was reasonable for her not to be very familiar and chatty with Ershu. She still politely acknowledge him everytime she meet him. They are not stranger yet not a friend. just an acquitance. 

Hello @leeza77  ..... I am not familiar with names so please bare with me . Lol Who is Ershu????

Hello @ForgottenSoulx  He does remember her, The scene when he returns to the HSeng Household and see QH fanning Ming Lan. He truned to SC and say he would have never recognized her because she is so different. Also he know her life has been quite difficult. At the Polo match he told the lady who was wondering if he lost the game for ML or ML's friend. He commented that HER LIFE IS VERY DIFFICULT. Then he says he We shouldn't let ML's friend cry. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

Yeah you are right she remember's but do we see anything that GTY remember's at least before episode 16 i have not done 16 yet ;p 

• Like 2