[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Lynne

8 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

He’s a second uncle to QH in terms of family generation, so everyone also calls him that way (the sheng girls, started by molan who wanted to put a generational distance with GTY as she deems him unworthy and scared of attracting him)

Plus the fact that Molan was really hoping to get together with QH, and if my memory was right, she said if she calls GTY as is, it would suddenly make her QH's "aunt" in terms of generation. So she wanted to call GTY the same way QH does. And Rulan and ML pretty much just follow suit. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hello210 said:

Yeah, CB knows GTY well and has not forsaken him even if he has to sneak out to see him. Sad when GTY had to do his bowing for his father on his own in the sidestreet but at least CB was there to support him. There’s different cut versions on YouTube and I just found the longer one that has those scenes you’re talking about. The ep 20 version I saw earlier stopped after MN left. Bai Ye is the alias (also connection to maternal family...think his mom called him that too in the nanny’s flashback) that he uses when he travels anonymously it seems cause that’s what he did in the first few episodes and people at the Sheng’s old town didn’t realize he was the son of Marquis Gu until he went missing. 

i dont think they are cut just appear in the following episode right? 

19 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

i dont think they are cut just appear in the following episode right? 

Yes, they just appear in the following episodes. It looks like the different viewing sources break up the episodes at different points of the drama. I think someone mentioned that before.

i saw some ppl commented on viki that the show is slow paced. having read some of the novel, imo, the drama is so fast-paced in comparison to the novel!! considering that there are so many episodes left, are they gonna have enough source material? perhaps, the show will flesh out side characters (like it's been doing) and additional scenes?

ML in the show is very clever. i think i like some of book ML's inner thoughts more because they're unexpected and hilarious. in the novel, as a child, book ML was very depressed and didn't have a will to live. after she witnesses concubine lin's machinations and award winning performances (lol), she's inspired to persevere. with that said, it's hard to convey those same thoughts since show ML is not a transmigrator like book ML. not saying that show ML isn't clever or anything, in fact she's far-sighted and prudent. 

i'm unexpectedly loving show Ruolan's characterization. she's kind of goofy, huh?

7 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So Maniang ruined both marriage prospects so maybe there won’t be a first wife?? 

I don’t think there will be @hello210

Spoiler

I don’t think it will be. They introduced GTY to ML very early on in the drama.  Was GTY saving ML on the ship just like in the novel???  I heard the polo match wasn’t in the novel either. My curiosity is peeked now and was thinking that it would be better if GTY doesn’t trick her into marrying him at all.  In episode 18 episode we saw ML’s mom stitching in GTY’s hand and he remembered the past.  Ming Lan also made him soup because of the news that his father death.  I don’t think it will  the the same as the novel.  Making them fall in love will make it so much better because there will be no misunderstanding. 

24 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

I don’t think there will be @hello210

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t think it will be. They introduced GTY to ML very early on in the drama.  Was GTY saving ML on the ship just like in the novel???  I heard the polo match wasn’t in the novel either. My curiosity is peeked now and was thinking that it would be better if GTY doesn’t trick her into marrying him at all.  In episode 18 episode we saw ML’s mom stitching in GTY’s hand and he remembered the past.  Ming Lan also made him soup because of the news that his father death.  I don’t think it will  the the same as the novel.  Making them fall in love will make it so much better because there will be no misunderstanding. 

Spoiler

Yeah, I think he’ll still go through the whole asking for Rulan’s hand thing but they’re going to have their paths cross more than in the novel so we’ll be able to see more feelings develop before they get married. Maybe not love completely at first but I think they’re going to have an understanding cause the previews look like she’s very amiable to the match. Plus, we still have to see how Doc He gets removed because as of now, he’s got nothing against him and is Grandma’s first choice. We already know from Grandma’s conversation with Yanrun’s Grandma that she’s not in favor of GTY so the trickery will be played out.

Haha, not much escapes GTY when it comes to ML since he called out ML about QH. He was just dumb about the other people and still sees ML as his friend’s little sister...maybe the water rescue will start changing that. I just know that in the novel, he’s saves her from drowning and pirates. After seeing the boat scene, I’m curious if the bandits were sent by Concubine Lin cause in the previews, I think Concubine Lin has a worse ending in the drama than in the novel (if that was Concubine Lin falling off the bed while ML was walking away).

5 hours ago, scorpio1m said:

Hi! I'm up to episode 17 on Viki and reading/skimming through this entire thread :) But can someone tell me why ML embroidered "Yuan Bao" on the knee pads instead of Yuan Rou? I've been trying to understand if she forgot his real name or it has some other meaning. I know ML is very smart so it was weird that she would not recall his name when it's used by everyone.

After watching episode 17 it is clear that she did it on purpose. If he ever lost it no one will care for a Yuan Bao like when his handkerchief went missing and in that way it won’t implicate him nor the person who made it, Minglan. I also believe that whether he was smart enough to know it was from her didn’t matter because from my perspective she wants to have a clear conscience/break for repaying his kindness and gift. That’s all she hoped for and not after attention or leading him on.

6 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

After watching episode 17 it is clear that she did it on purpose. If he ever lost it no one will care for a Yuan Bao like when his handkerchief went missing and in that way it won’t implicate him nor the person who made it, Minglan. I also believe that whether he was smart enough to know it was from her didn’t matter because from my perspective she wants to have a clear conscience/break for repaying his kindness and gift. That’s all she hoped for and not after attention or misunderstandings.

The word "boa" is some kind of nickname in chinese. Like zly, the fans and friend call her "yingbao". 

16 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

After watching episode 17 it is clear that she did it on purpose. If he ever lost it no one will care for a Yuan Bao like when his handkerchief went missing and in that way it won’t implicate him nor the person who made it, Minglan. I also believe that whether he was smart enough to know it was from her didn’t matter because from my perspective she wants to have a clear conscience/break for repaying his kindness and gift. That’s all she hoped for and not after attention or leading him on.

I think she actually likes him at this point but she's holding back because of her status and what her mom & grandma have told her to do. She already repaid his kindness with the basket of sweets and every time he confronts her she never simply says, "I do not like you" - -either to his face or to her maids and grandma who know that Yuan Rou has feelings for her.

20 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

@leeza77 Good point, however I have a hard time to believe she stitched a nickname as a form of endearment of him. And that maybe a reason why he wanted to know the meaning of it, having high hopes. Lol

That's why he smiled like an an idiot:D

15 minutes ago, scorpio1m said:

I think she actually likes him at this point but she's holding back because of her status and what her mom & grandma have told her to do. She already repaid his kindness with the basket of sweets and every time he confronts her she never simply says, "I do not like you" - -either to his face or to her maids and grandma who know that Yuan Rou has feelings for her.

Grandma is not the only who noticed, GTY called ML out on it during their little argument, hehehe.

1 minute ago, hello210 said:

Grandma is not the only who noticed, GTY called ML out on it during their little argument, hehehe.

Haha, I haven't gotten to that episode yet bc Viki translations are a little slower but I watched it some raw and saw that exchange! :) I noticed that YR is not letting her off as easy anymore, during episode 16 when she tried denying the gift at the polo game he held her accountable. I really like the YR & ML scenes, I guess I have Second Lead Syndrome and will suffer much through this drama. :( 

Archived