[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Wolf 狼殿下

sugarplum892

18 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Wow!!!! atlast.  What??????  Did they release all the episodes today itself????? So sad for the cast & crew who worked hard behind the scenes.  Delayed to broadcast for so many years and released all the episodes in one day???? WTH!!!!!!!!

Yes

day 1 was 10 episodes available

then today I saw alllllllll...

no idea why everything was released in one go..

and Xiaozhan only appears at ep 10. I marathon one night ........

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

On 11/19/2020 at 11:50 PM, pad-hari said:

Wow!!!! atlast.  What??????  Did they release all the episodes today itself????? So sad for the cast & crew who worked hard behind the scenes.  Delayed to broadcast for so many years and released all the episodes in one day???? WTH!!!!!!!!

All episodes are released for VIP members. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. Xiao Zhan is still being targeted by anti-fans. Rumour has it the production company released it so suddenly because it is anxious to meet its target in its bet-on agreement and the drama they were banking on (The Deer and the Cauldron) is not performing to expectations.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

All episodes are released for VIP members. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. Xiao Zhan is still being targeted by anti-fans. Rumour has it the production company released it so suddenly because it is anxious to meet its target in the Bet-On Agreement and the drama they were banking on (The Deer and the Cauldron) is not performing to expectations.

What is this bet on agreement?

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 9:02 PM, taekwang said:

Yes

day 1 was 10 episodes available

then today I saw alllllllll...

no idea why everything was released in one go..

and Xiaozhan only appears at ep 10. I marathon one night ........

I was thinking of skipping the first 9 eps but afraid i might not understand the story, so i will try to marathon too haha....thank god YT has eng subtitles ☺

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stella77 said:

So it is up on YT? It said ‘not available in your country’ when I tried some channels

Yeah, it also appears to be blocked for my region. The news said they have sold the series overseas so not everyone will be able to view it on YT.

2 hours ago, taekwang said:

What is this bet on agreement?

The rumour only mentioned the target but not what’s supposed to happen if the target is met.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

All episodes are released for VIP members. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. Xiao Zhan is still being targeted by anti-fans. Rumour has it the production company released it so suddenly because it is anxious to meet its target in its bet-on agreement and the drama they were banking on (The Deer and the Cauldron) is not performing to expectations.

I did see the Hotsearches and criticizm about Deer and the Cauldron despite having Zhang Yishan in it.

Anyhow VPn Rules  Just watched the FIRST episode of the Wolf.

Darren Wang is Adorbs as the wolfman.LiQins dubbed voice irritates me But maybe I will get used to it tagging along.Their chemistry is very cute.

Ok So Yang and Jing were Bad and Good Dynasties and Yang took over Jin region, Liqin character A was pregnant when Yang Emperors Sworn Brother(Xia Hou) barged into her room.Supposedly Liqin who is Ma Zhai Xing our heroine is her daughter , aint she a Jin then?...

10 yrs later Ma ZhaiXing meets Our Wolfie , and assumes he is the Lost child of a Noble from the war that happemed a decade ago.DOES EITHER OF THEM LOOK 10 YEAR OLD? What is this illusion Lol.

Will watch and comment further.I found it good enough to follow for now.Mainly because DW looks too in Love when he watched his XingEr...

:fullofhearts:

• Like 4

Spoiler

You can watch the episodes with english subtitles on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpghCOjR4QqrKjwKw-jkbWAbH6g08q1SR

I believe they release 6 episodes a week at every Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. English subtitles for episode 6 will be release on Monday 11/23 on Youtube. It was suppose to release Friday but there's a delay.

You can also watch the raw episodes here:

https://u.holidays4y.com/vodplay/1352-1-1.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, madmad min said:

...DOES EITHER OF THEM LOOK 10 YEAR OLD? What is this illusion Lol.

Will watch and comment further.I found it good enough to follow for now.Mainly because DW looks too in Love when he watched his XingEr...

The wording on the screen said “10+ years later ...” so I am guessing they were teenagers in episode 1. You can also see it in Xing Er’s child-like hairstyle and higher pitched voice. Then after Lang Zai got adopted by the Emperor and became Bo Wang, “8 years passed” according to the screen wording, so they will be in their early 20s when they meet again. 

Indeed, Lang Zai has this adoring look when he looks at Xing Er. I just watched up to Ep. 3 so haven’t seen their reunion yet. Looking forward to see how his ‘look’ will change in his Bo Wang persona. Not familiar with this actor.  Li Qin is in her usual fine form here. 

• Like 4

On 11/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, bluehibiscus said:

The rumour only mentioned the target but not what’s supposed to happen if the target is met.

It's all speculation tbh, and it was always super low chance they'd make it. it was something like 500mil profit in first year (2018, came short by about 150mil?), 700mil profit in 2019 (came short by less than 200mil?), and this year's is 900mil, I think the figure I saw for first half of the year was 90mil loss (due to COVID?), so I don't think anyone really expected them to make it. The agreement was signed when Xinli was acquired by Yuewen (Qidian's parent company, IP holder, tencent's subsidiary), and they basically paid way too much goodwill for the company and in exchange there was profit target. Xinli's company value would just be lower for not making the profit (it was never worth the amount they paid for it, thus goodwill), but this is also tencent we are talking about, so who knows what kind of management changes there might be. It's all behind the scenes and most people wouldn't really be able to gauge, and for general audience you might not be able to tell a difference.

I sort of believed the deer and cauldron rumour when I first saw it, but it doesn't quite make sense when I think about it. Consider that they sold it to CCTV and it's doing ok by the looks of rating? Like, it bombed considering the IP, but CCTV 8 have base audience and they kept it, it's also the 10pm slot, not the 8pm primetime slot. The uproar about bombing is mostly on douban rating/how people consider the drama, but netizens aren't the prime audience for CCTV 8, and last decade's Jin Yong adaptations have mostly been abysmal. It mostly affects the actors' rep (rip Zhang Yishan) and maybe if Xinli does another well known wuxia adaptation. It doesn't really affect their profit margins, because they already sold it to tv stations (ok granted tv are cheap, esp CCTV) + online streaming platforms (where the big bucks is). They might be responsible for buying ratings if this was on something that's not CCTV, but it is so this is moot, never seen rumour CCTV expect you to buy ratings since it's not as reliant on advertisements lol. maybe higher marketing cost? But marketing cost would be in the plan regardless and they don't really need to PR it much, since yelling about it is still buzz technically. Note that popular dramas tend to have lot of people yelling about it and don't have that good of a douban score (around 5 or 6 sometimes), but I guess this was horrendous (2.5! nearly bottomed out, gg).

Sorry for the huge derail. Anyways, this was probably just released all in one go to avoid further mishap (why was it even on the shelf in the first place mhmm?), especially now Darren isn't as popular and it's been on the shelf for three years. Historical dramas get stricter by the year and you can never quite predict what wouldn't pass next year.

• Shocked 1
  • Insightful 3

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

It's all speculation tbh, and it was always super low chance they'd make it. it was something like 500mil profit in first year (2018, came short by about 150mil?), 700mil profit in 2019 (came short by less than 200mil?), and this year's is 900mil, I think the figure I saw for first half of the year was 90mil loss (due to COVID?), so I don't think anyone really expected them to make it. The agreement was signed when Xinli was acquired by Yuewen (Qidian's parent company, IP holder, tencent's subsidiary), and they basically paid way too much goodwill for the company and in exchange there was profit target. Xinli's company value would just be lower for not making the profit (it was never worth the amount they paid for it, thus goodwill), but this is also tencent we are talking about, so who knows what kind of management changes there might be. It's all behind the scenes and most people wouldn't really be able to gauge, and for general audience you might not be able to tell a difference.

I sort of believed the deer and cauldron rumour when I first saw it, but it doesn't quite make sense when I think about it. Consider that they sold it to CCTV and it's doing ok by the looks of rating? Like, it bombed considering the IP, but CCTV 8 have base audience and they kept it, it's also the 10pm slot, not the 8pm primetime slot. The uproar about bombing is mostly on douban rating/how people consider the drama, but netizens aren't the prime audience for CCTV 8, and last decade's Jin Yong adaptations have mostly been abysmal. It mostly affects the actors' rep (rip Zhang Yishan) and maybe if Xinli does another well known wuxia adaptation. It doesn't really affect their profit margins, because they already sold it to tv stations (ok granted tv are cheap, esp CCTV) + online streaming platforms (where the big bucks is). They might be responsible for buying ratings if this was on something that's not CCTV, but it is so this is moot, never seen rumour CCTV expect you to buy ratings since it's not as reliant on advertisements lol. maybe higher marketing cost? But marketing cost would be in the plan regardless and they don't really need to PR it much, since yelling about it is still buzz technically. Note that popular dramas tend to have lot of people yelling about it and don't have that good of a douban score (around 5 or 6 sometimes), but I guess this was horrendous (2.5! nearly bottomed out, gg).

Sorry for the huge derail. Anyways, this was probably just released all in one go to avoid further mishap (why was it even on the shelf in the first place mhmm?), especially now Darren isn't as popular and it's been on the shelf for three years. Historical dramas get stricter by the year and you can never quite predict what wouldn't pass next year.

I did say it was a rumour. Whether it is substantiated or speculation, who can say for sure unless one is an insider?  With regards to why it was on the shelf for so long, I read that they had some problems with the story initially (maybe censorship) but again, it’s just the word of someone I don’t know and there are probably other contributing reasons, e.g. if Xinli wanted it to be broadcast on a TV station, the number of slots for historical dramas were and are limited, Xiao Zhan’s negative news etc.

I’m not very well-informed on the terms of agreements with TV stations but I remember reading about a drama that was initially sold to CCTV and then pulled from airing a day before because allegedly CCTV was unhappy the streaming platforms got to show the episodes earlier. That drama is still in storage till now so I’m rather surprised that CCTV has no issue with this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:

I did say it was a rumour. Whether it is substantiated or speculation, who can say for sure unless one is an insider?  With regards to why it was on the shelf for so long, I read that they had some problems with the story initially (maybe censorship) but again, it’s just the word of someone I don’t know and there are probably other contributing reasons, e.g. if Xinli wanted it to be broadcast on a TV station, the number of slots for historical dramas were and are limited, Xiao Zhan’s negative news etc.

I’m not very well-informed on the terms of agreements with TV stations but I remember reading about a drama that was initially sold to CCTV and then pulled from airing a day before because allegedly CCTV was unhappy the streaming platforms got to show the episodes earlier. That drama is still in storage till now so I’m rather surprised that CCTV has no issue with this.

Yeah I know, my speculation comment also apply to what I wrote. Xinli struggled and failed to get JoL on TV, I think this is pretty long shot too, but trying to get it on tv does seem likely for initial year. I do remember reading that they cut some of the more violent scenes? and bits about how the male lead came into power, which is rough. Slight tangent, historical aiming for tv broadcast is even harder next year, since it's 100 years of CPC, cnet is already prepping for lots of uninteresting dramas on tv lol (there were bunch of poverty-related ones this year :D the tv ratings have been all around abysmal half the year).

Oh yeah I remember that drama from when Novoland: Eagle Flag was pulled and people were discussing possible reasons, Tian Xia Chang'an! It looked pretty good too, rip Huan Rui (the company), I wanted to see a cool Li Shimin. I assume that cctv was informed this time, rather than out of blue, which is why they are ok with it? Especially now that online platforms are gaining prominence and you can't quite ignore it. Nothing but Thirty straight up got the paid vvip option (so you see the ending first online) despite it airing on dragon tv and doing pretty well too, Tencent must have paid gazillion for that.

• Insightful 1

9 hours ago, omiki said:

The wording on the screen said “10+ years later ...” so I am guessing they were teenagers in episode 1. You can also see it in Xing Er’s child-like hairstyle and higher pitched voice. Then after Lang Zai got adopted by the Emperor and became Bo Wang, “8 years passed” according to the screen wording, so they will be in their early 20s when they meet again. 

I will go with your assumption, the timeline is a but screwed up.

The Wolfie summoning bell Looks like Ferreo Rocher Chocolate. lol.

Manager Wang like just within seconds debunked that It was he who killed XHY?? Wow.

Darren Wangs expressions make me cry out.Can he not be that vulnerably cute? I need to be neutral enough to enjoy Xiao Zhan whenever he enters as well, dunno how well can I hold it on though Lol.

@skibbies That was quite thorough Nice Info on the dramas.As an international audience I always wondered why some Uberly netizen popular dramas have the Worst Storylines except tried and tested formulas.Whereas there are a lot of those which are underrated but have no Hype whatsoever.Douban Scores do say a lot but here D&C is topping rating charts while having abismil douban scores.Are the audience intrested to see how Bad it is so ratings became that GOOD??Lol anyhow. I hope WOLF sustains the storyline and not go down the overly popular down the drain route.

• Like 3

@madmad min yeah, I also thought it would drag out a bit before they finally find the real culprit but it’s nice in a way that the story would move on at a quick pace. The way it was explained was that ...

Spoiler

Wang did not want to get the Ma Family into trouble with the Emperor. His only intention was to kill that evil General who had massacred the entire household from the previous dynasty. He had seen how General Ma saved his Mistress and I suppose he was also grateful to Ma also for bringing up Xing Er lovingly.

It’s horrible how Lang Zai was misled to believe that Xing Er had given the golden bell to her Brother to lure him. No wonder he was so hurt  and now so bitter ...

• Like 3