[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Wolf 狼殿下

sugarplum892

@omiki

Spoiler

I thought she only drank that potion provided by Yaoji AFTER she realised she had black blood (poisoned) and will die within days compared to Bo Wang who can sustained for 6 months. That is the reason why she was willing to go alone since she knew she was going to die anyway. 

What I did not catch is how she got hurt/poison in the first place.

Also not sure if this is a spoiler but to be safe!

Spoiler

Was rewatching episode 46 yesterday and noticed that in the scene that Bo Wang just woke up and saw Xing'er drying clothes. When the camera pan towards Xing'er while she was preparing another dark green clothing to hang, you can see a clothing/manufacturer tag haha. 

I am now on ep 15 and surprised that the pace is faster than most Cdrama. The leads def have strong chemistry and the plot for the political games are very good! Overall, it is worth the 3 years of waiting!! A few weaknesses in my opinion are:

Spoiler

1. Bo Wang’s conflicted feelings and going hot and cold with XE. It isn’t the fact that he feels so but the way the show executed it or maybe they had to cut so much due to the censor or editing that it made it annoying. I think Darren’s acting is quite strong that he could have portrayed it but the way the script was written - it became repetitive and stereotypical. 2. Evil King’s over acting is a bit too much sometimes and 3. Gosh darn the foreshadowing of a tragic ending and we aren’t even half way into the series! Any long time Cdrama viewer can see the ending already and I don’t understand why they had to do it so obviously! I didn’t know the story is a sad one but while annoyed, I am going to watch it until the end to see what our OTP does...

• Like 4

I think I am becoming one of XZ fans now..ohtokkeee...

Hope to watch another good drama from him, but as main male lead :) Supporting the second male lead is a tough journey...

I like the OST...it's quite different with other chinese drama OST... I feel like I am listening Korean Drama OST

• Like 4

I'm currently on EP 24 and so far I really enjoy this drama.

I agree with @yinyee the pace is faster than most Cdramas I've watched and the chemistry and plot with regards to the political 'games' are also good, and make me keep watching. So far, there are no slow parts or fillers that distract from the main storyline. 

The only thing that annoyed me a bit is: 

Spoiler

Bo Wang's treatment of Xing'er was IMO overdone to the point where it became annoying. 

Also, Xing'er proves herself to be very smart in most cases, but almost blindly trusts Yao Ji? And runs to the Emperor for help, accusing his own son with only a letter as proof? -_- To me, that felt a bit out of character. Yes, she's brave, but that was just stupid. Again, just my opinion! ;)  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jillia said:

In showing the mixed images of wildness and tender human touch, Darren Wang is arguably the best choice!

Couldn't agree more! This was one of the first things that drew me in!

The change is not subtle and must at times be very difficult emotionally! I was awed by the blend of childlike  innocence and dangerous savage.

Clever, brave, and caring, the female lead Ma Zhai Xing is the kind of girl we can easily warm up to. It would have been a little flat to have a female lead who’s only cute and smart throughout the show like in many other dramas. Thankfully, her layered charm begins to shine through as the story unfolds.There are many scenes where every emotion she’s executing can be felt and related to. Her phenomenal acting can also be found in costume dramas “The Song of Glory” and “Joy of Life.”

I was happy they gave her character a working brain! :D Let's be honest...often the FL are just "looks but no brains". 

This character requires enormous emotional input from the actor, and Xiao Zhan delivered. The actor’s distinctive charms also stand out in his more masculine looks—different from his image in “The Untamed,” but equally eye-catching and enjoyable. His potential in playing villain-like characters is a real bonus for fans of old and new.

To be honest Xiao Zhan's character did remind me a bit of his character in the untamed at first. :lol: But I'm not complaining. 

• Like 3

Caught up to ep 46 and only 3 more episodes left. I’m not ready for this drama to end yet. 

Spoiler

Ji Chong did such a noble thing to tell her the truth about Bo Wang and to let her go. He’s the real MVP and I’m so sad that the drama is already foreshadowing our sad endings between our main couple.

Why can’t we just have a happy ending for once for Zhai Xing and Bo Wang. Their time together was so short and they both need more love.

• Like 4

I am still watching and just finished ep 31. 

Spoiler

Soooooo glad that the truth is out finallllllly! It was hard to watch them suffer so since they finally came to understand and were so in love; but I firmly believe w/o the truth out, it will eat at Bo and negatively impact their relationship anyways. They also explained well why Bo remained loyal to the evil King. Ep 26 and 27 were strong because of the emotional scenes. Super happy with both leads’ performance and that of XZ too. But now we are back with some more filler episodes. 

I made it to ep 37 and wooah

Spoiler

So tense and super noble idiocy plan by Bo and it didn’t even work!! Also ZX should get a clue by now that the real killer isn’t Bo but the evil King. 

I had to stop at 41 because no Eng subs and will finish this next weekend. 
LQ is so much stronger (performance wise) than the Song of Glory... actually this is a much better drama. 

• Like 2

I finally finished the drama. Ending wasn’t what I hoped for but I think the drama was able to tied up loose ends nicely.

Spoiler

Although I’m sad, I’m happy for Ji Chong and Bao Na and glad that they’re living their life freely traveling around the world together.  

I’m just a teeny bit frustrated with how everything went down at the end (probably just with the 3 last episodes) and how the show was continuously hinting at the impeding doom awaiting our main leads at the end. 

I get that ZX wanted to do one last thing for BW knowing that he was going to die 6 months later but I think what she did was kind of dumb and not at all what BW would have wanted her to do. There were so many ways that they could have save the fourth brother together.

Oh well, I do love my fair share of tragedy. This is kind of dark, but at least ZX and BW are happy together in the other world right? 

After finishing this drama, I can add Darren Wang to my list of favorite actors now xD. Both Li Qin and Xiao Zhan already have a place due to their previous works that I’ve watch them in. 

• Like 3

So I finished this today. Overall, it was an enjoyable show just to see what will happen to our OTP. Their chemistry was very good and the plot was not dragged out. Good cast and OST also helped. Happy for everyone involved in this show.

Spoiler

Tragic ending aside, the drama still held up. The show did basically hinted to the viewers not to expect a happy ending the entire show (this was my main gripe). 

I am glad to have discovered Darren Wang from this series. May keep an eye out for his future works. 

• Like 2

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Wolf 狼殿下
  • 2 years later...

ep 13

Mischievous Ji Chong....  :D

The female warrior put the blade on JC.

Ji Chong - '' Press another blade on me and I might fall for you''. 

7badfabb4466da97637179875de6be99.jpg

The princess Bao is a little annoying. But JC met her first and only then the FL... hmm...

e5a25ae78bf30e5f43024d8ac6b91c9e.jpg

the love triangle is likelable. The both men protect Lady Bo in their own way.

Although I think she is only relaxed when she is with JC. 

Like the new bond  between the two princesses. Princess Bao is a kind girl.  

It was unexpected when the Jin soldiers knelt before Ji Chong and called him ''Young General''.  ep 17

Poor Ji Chong...  it will be boring if he just keeps chasing the FL.

Its clear that princess Ma  is in love with Lord Bo.  

0dcc48870b9829d902b4ac51cb706cb9.jpg

The Second Wolfie...   :D

0b6131efd864135d331a1464ba3370d1.jpg

Ji Chong finally accepted that he lost to Lord Bo.

That was sad when JC said that he never even had a chance to try anything with Princess Ma.

But I love his lively and humorous character. 

The main couple cant be happy because of the King.  

c984b8df10024d732249d9fc2dc9bd09.jpg

Ji Chong's cool entry...   :wub:

Oh, Ji Chong is the crown prince Ju Yao and he was  General of the Jin Troop. 

dac6761a1aa790fe6bf9b78abacc053d.jpg

The Jin palace is a fun place.  

Everyone seems to have missed Ju Yao, especially the Butler. :D

9aa4cd8f08674a58240b982e44bc4c37.jpg

I wonder how the misunderstanding between princess Ma and Lord Bo will be resolved. :unsure:

Ji Chong is very attentive to Princess Ma but I dont want him to get any hope because she is not

in love with him.  

Finally some interaction between Ji Chong and princess Bao Na...Like them... ep 30 

Im glad Ji Chong heard how proud the King is of him...

6:20....The scene was beautiful.   

The drunk kiss...  poor Ji Chong....  

b45bc0d6bc887c91123e3e7d6d05de7e.jpg

Liked all the talks between Ji Chong and Lord Bo. 

JC finally knows the real truth and how much Lord Bo loves princess Ma. 

7d125d9b5c4419d692cb2af7a61016db.jpg

Ji Chong was such a sad groom.  It was a loveless marriage.   

Im glad he realized that and ended the marriage. 

6de6310b96f391c0fff635659151569f.jpg

e3a027d8d8a5cfa392ceb2dc75934a47.jpg

That was smart how Princess Bao Na saved JC, princess Ma and Lord Bo from the General.  ep 47 

9d3386f29c83928cb9b8566b00c65ee8.jpg