[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

19 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

oh my god, your loot lol. you crazy fan girl you. don’t mind me, i’m just jelly.  

JSW said he will come back in season 2,  must be next year since Life is airing now. Are you watching Life?  Are you watching Mr Sunshine.

@aisling are you watching Life?

@YuKo Wong you are indeed a little late.  thanks for showing up at the Life thread!

@bedifferent...I am waiting to binge watch it chingu. I wanted to watch on Netflix without stopping and having to wait for the next episode. Are you watching it chingu? 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UnniSarah said:

@bedifferent...I am waiting to binge watch it chingu. I wanted to watch on Netflix without stopping and having to wait for the next episode. Are you watching it chingu? 

you mean Life or Sunshine?  Netflix US won’t air Life until it is done in SK, all 16 episodes in US on 9/12.  I am watching Mr Sunshine.  Liking both. 

@bedifferent Yes I heard about FoS season 2 but I am afraid we won’t get the same cast and crew

i really liked how they filmed FoS from the stylish cinematography to the bgm which is subtle yet impactful. Not forgetting all the daebak cast. And that’s how I started to notice CSW and the rest is history :astonished: he was so goofy in those bts for FoS 

@UnniSarah thanks for welcoming to the party!

i states watching Life but I might just binge watch it as I can’t stand the cliff hanger! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excerpts for the relevant part, from JSW's latest interview.

Cho Seung Woo Gives High Praise To Jo In Sung, Talks About The Movie He Turned Down 3 Times, And More

...In a recent V Live broadcast, Cho Seung Woo talked about his upcoming film “Feng Shui” (working title), his acting process, and more.

For Cho Seung Woo, his acting isn’t a product of total immersion. He said, “No matter what role I’m playing, I don’t fall into it deeply. It doesn’t affect my everyday life. I don’t do method.”

The actor also talked about some of his past works. Regarding a potential seasonal format for the tvN drama “Forest of Secrets” (also known as “Stranger”) in which he starred alongside Bae Doona, the actor revealed his love for the drama, saying, “I hope the seasons do continue. Until I grow white hair.”

Source

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fans

Just here to give a shout out to what I 'feel' is THE next tvN mystery thriller we can sink our teeth into - but with a bit more spine-tingling romance thrown in there for good measure.

The first episode was riveting for so many reasons, at least for me. Stellar stellar cast - Lee Chang-Joon! (Yoo Jae-Myeong) in the first scene! You got me! The corrupt top cop (Choi Byung-Mo) back and up to no particular good! I feel the right vibes about this one, the dialog is excellent, and so much unexpected little things already. The top 4 leads already indelibly on my mind. :wub:

@aisling

@titania1000 @Nymeria289 @triplem

@aisling  @larus

@titania1000 I watched Life and enjoyed it.    Not as good nor is it perfect.  Despite all the negative knets reactions and some flaws, it is an uplifting drama about the imperfect state of our medical care system and the people that cared enough to fight for us against corruptions, even their own vices.  It is an uplifting drama about ordinary people doing extraordinary things for others.  Lots of heart. It’s different enough from SF .  The drama and JSW are up for awards at the end of year.

• 4 months later...

Just finished episode 13 of Stranger and need a small rant

Sort of saw it coming but still annoyed they killed of the Eun-soo character. Have been reading through discussion after each episode and she seemed to get so much hate from some watchers just because she might have been a potential road block to the main two getting together in a show that doesn't need romance at all, especially between the main two where I don't see any romantic chemistry.

Her life was ruined when her dad got framed with her marriage getting called off, dad disgraced, then getting ill etc. She was a bit rash at times but she was fully entitled to try and get justice for her dad and seeing her put so much into it to the extent that she never really led a proper life after that, only for it to end without her getting the justice she was working for is disheartening. The first time you see her have any fun is the previous episode when they're all having dinner.

And the main guy - fair enough I get that he has no feelings but he was harsher to her than any of the other females around him - constantly belittling her and being rude, humiliated her in front of his team, even something as small as dropping her off home he just leaves her at a train station, especially their last interaction when all she was trying to do was help him figure out who broke into his place but he's just telling her to go away and not let her know what happened. What's sad is that she's so used to it. It's a shame they gave the character a really one-sided attraction to the main guy because the way he has treated her just makes me dislike him, especially as he's not that much of a richard simmons to everyone else otherwise I wouldn't care. He used her and put her in danger everytime he needed it and then would just kick her to the curb when he had no use for her - which is exactly why I don't buy some reasoning I've read about him "protecting" her by keeping her out the investigation. He's seen the extent she will go for her family yet thinks ignoring her will make her stop? Same with her dad.

Can see the show using this as a catalyst for the main lead to get better and hint/lead to some romance between the main two in typical kdrama fashion as he opens up but I hate that - just makes the death seem so cheap as her her death isn't about her, but more about the leads. In every scene in the last few episodes he's been trying to get rid of her asap and is happy to spend time with the main female lead and has shown no interest in Eun-soo fair enough - so now looking at the preview for the next ep he seems very affected by the death but I just don't buy that with the way he has been with her all series. Her death being a catalyst for his recovery would make no sense to me. I can't feel sorry for him feeling sorry for her.

Can see him finding her notebook where I'm assuming she wrote about seeing the 07 tattoo on that team members back which will help him solve it - now that she's dead I wonder if he'll finally her some props. Because the way he constantly ignores her clearly makes her think she can't go to him without solid proof or he will never listen to her, which is probably how she ended up at the house she died in as she was left investigating alone. She had to fight to get any time with him despite him supposedly being her mentor. If it was a main lead with the backstory she had no-one would have issues with her going above and beyond to try and solve this case for her family. 

The main two people she looked up to in her dad and SM both just kept her in the dark until the end despite knowing what she was like

On 2/20/2019 at 2:54 PM, anony12345 said:

Sort of saw it coming but still annoyed they killed of the Eun-soo character. Have been reading through discussion after each episode and she seemed to get so much hate from some watchers just because she might have been a potential road block to the main two getting together in a show that doesn't need romance at all, especially between the main two where I don't see any romantic chemistry.

I don't know what will happen in season 2, if they finally announce it, but I hope we don't get a romance. It is comfortable just to watch these two as friends, like we have endless shows with romances, one show can be spared, no? :lol:

On 2/20/2019 at 2:54 PM, anony12345 said:

especially as he's not that much of a richard simmons to everyone else otherwise I wouldn't care

y5N2cs6.gif

Shi Mok was a dry character and yeah, you wanted to shake him everytime he was so rude to her, but I couldn't hate him.

I checked Korean sources and there are no news at all for a 2nd season. The title quoted in the source "동백꽃 필 무렵" doesn't have anything to do with Secret Forest but is the Korean title for a upcoming KBS2 drama. 

I think we should wait and see and rely on Korean news outlets for a season 2 confirmation. Bae Doona is busy filming Kingdom season 2 right now and this will take up a couple of months for sure. 

• 5 months later...

There are some news about second season. I think we`ll have a second season in 2020. They want to bring the same main characters.  Let it be true!

Lee Soo-yeon Writer Completed Some Scripts
Main character Cho Seung-woo, Bae Do-Na

96749349.3.jpg

According to broadcasters on the 29th July, Signal Entertainment, a producer of 'Secret Forest', is gearing up to produce season 2 with the aim of broadcasting next year. It is known that Lee Soo-yeon, the author of Season 1, is writing Season 2, and he is already working on completing and modifying the script.

Accordingly, the production company is planning and pushing forward with plans to join Season 2's main characters Cho Seung-woo and Bae Do-na and Season 2. This is because they have a lot of presence and symbolism in the drama. In particular, Jo Seung-woo's love for “secret forests” is exceptional. He received the best acting award in the TV category at the Baeksang Arts Awards held last year. He said, “I want the 'forest of secrets' to go to season 5,” he said.

http://www.donga.com/news/article/all/20190729/96749116/4

@larus @triplem @UnniSarah @titania1000 ohmy, writer kept her words.  She did say it would happen after Life (which in itself was a nice drama).  CSW committed to musicals after his movie.  Bae Doona had few dramas in between.  Heard that she filmed Kingdom 2 a few months back.  Now both are open for season 2 :D

Hope Lee Joon Hyuk, Lee Kyu Hyung, Yoon Se Ah also sign on.  They went onto good things after S1, established actors/actresses now.  It would feel like a reunion, coming back to work with people whom you started with.  Many are theater people who hang out off camera together.

I love Signal too!

Archived