[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

[SE★ Interview] Shin HyeSun “In ‘Secret Forest’ Acting Fail... Felt Inadequacy”

From http://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/1OJOMJ4330/GL01

1OJOMJ4330_3.jpg

Geum BitNa reporting 2017-08-09 08:35:52

Interview with actress Shin HyeSun felt like a gab session in a way. After greeting with a cheerful smile and tone, there wasn't a moment our conversation wasn't filled with laughter, and as though talking to my close little sister, her honest chatter felt extremely comfortable.

With her bright cheerful disposition and an attractive personality overflowing with warmth, Shin HyeSun is truly one of the actresses capable of metamorphosis. Although she's the Shin HyeSun who consecutively appeared in KBS2 'Five Children', SBS 'LotBS', then tvN's 'Secret Forest', there's not a hint of those images or characters that seem to overlap with her [in person, in real life].

In fact for Shin HyeSun, 'Secret Forest' was an image transformation and a type of challenge. SHS's role of Young EunSoo was that of a proud graduate of a top notch school, a bold Prosecutor in probationary period, a character who for the sake of restoring her father's honor would stop at nothing. Thus the nickname she earned through this work was 'Young EunSoo the KooKoo' or 'Young Kook' for short. In an effort befitting the 'Young Kook' name, Shin HyeSun became this laughing and crying Young EunSoo putting her life on the line for the investigation - and thanks to her acting ability which has gotten a notch deeper in the effort, so also did the level of perfection that 'Secret Forest' was able realize.

Q. 'Secret Forest' was 100% pre-produced. .... (repeat of question from previous interviews translated)

SHS. I felt I get to see it with a new perspective. Because I am watching as an audience and not as the actor, there's a feeling of freshness. First off 'SF' script was loaded and direction was awesome. You couldn't say for sure because it wasn't actually the case, but even if it had been a live production, when I look at the writer's and the director's personalities, other than the fact they would shoot with a real time knowledge of the (audience) feedback, I don't think they would have done anything much different. The writer's temperament is not the type to be easily swayed by the reactions of the viewers, and I tend to think she would have proceeded with the path she had set for herself.

Q. 'SF' Young EunSoo was, compared to the facets Shin HyeSun has shown us so far, quite unique. Perhaps you can tell us your rationale or criteria for choosing this work and role?

SHS. The character was attractive, and that it's a 'genre piece' drew me to it. Not like I have much experience, but so far my character portrayals have been light hearted ones and they were all happy endings. 'SF' EunSoo had the characteristic calm and dark feel of this genre. You know how they say opposites attract? Because her feel and atmosphere were the polar opposite of the image I naturally give off, I was drawn to it more strongly, I think.

Q. In 'SF' Young EunSoo so ran around risking her life, then ultimately gets killed. Ultimately she couldn't survive, do you feel the (sense of) loss?

SHS. Because I died with a big impact I'm satisfied. (Laughs) In 'SF' drama where the good and evil are not clear, I wonder if death wasn't a gain in the story context.

Q. In the end you were a victim slain by the perpetrator, but unfairly you were accused as a potential suspect in the beginning.

SHS. That is how the writer had set it up, so if I hadn't been cornered as a suspect I would have been sad [felt left out], to the contrary. Ha Ha.

Q. Contrary to the drama overflowing with tension, the shooting scene for 'SF' was one full of laughter, we heard.

SHS. That's right. The atmosphere at the shoot was truly great. Overflowing with energy and the mood was harmonious. Really whether you look at the actors or the cast, definitely not the type of collaboration you see often, is it? I focused on learning and got immersed in the shoot. The intensity of focus also felt great.

Q. In SF one of the reasons had high expectations ... Cho SeungWoo & Bae DooNa. Working with veteran actors ... would expect ... many things you learned.

SHS. Working together with them I really learned much. I was a 'fail' there. While shooting 'SF' I felt my inadequacy inside, and there were moments of realizations that 'I need to work on improving this aspect much'. Everything was a lesson for me. It may be true for other older actors also, but for me every scene in 'SF' was difficult. EunSoo's emotions were difficult, the dialog was not easy... there was nothing easy.

Q. What was the most difficult?

SHS. The character Young EunSoo herself was difficult. (laughs)

Q. Then how did you figure out how to portray this difficult Young EunSoo?

SHS. I focused on the script. No matter what, a drama is a thing that flows with the writer's intent, and the actor is one who carries out what's in the script. From what I saw, EunSoo was a highly unusual kid. Whatever she did it was outside of my estimation, so much so that in fact while acting I would think to myself, "What is it with her?", and after the broadcast the "why is she like that"-aspect deepened. So the 'Young Kook' nickname came about, but personally I like it, Ha Ha.

Q. As you say, a 'highly unusual kid', Young EunSoo was not an ordinary character. It must not have been easy to find a sympathetic viewpoint.

SHS. It's true that I couldn't relate to her strongly. I've done many roles, and although I haven't been around that long I have felt injustices and unfairness in my life and observed it happen to others around me, but it's the first time I've come across any young woman who would carry around that type of emotion with her. In fact because of that the character of Young EunSoo is attractive to me also. As I got to know and wrestled with who she was, there came a moment in time when I thought, 'if I were EunSoo, I could see myself doing that also'.

Q. In the story, to the level that's hard for us to comprehend her, Young EunSoo obsessed over and risked her life to recover her father's honor. As the one who acted out Young EunSoo why do you think she ... had done all that ... to the extent that she did?

SHS. If you look at how she had lived to that point, she was born into a good family and grown up not without some hardship. Daddy is a minister of justice (professor?), how proud of him she must have been and how she had respected him. 'Young IlJae's daughter Young EunSoo' was her title she proudly bore daily, but when this rock of her self-identity had been brought low in humiliating way how it must have hurt her pride and shaken her to her core. The restoration of her father's honor that EunSoo speaks of, rather than the true restoration of his status, perhaps it was for recovery of her own sense of identity and honor that she was obsessed. When I realized that for EunSoo, honor [proof of innocence] was more precious than life itself, I began to comprehend her a bit.

Q. Since Young EunSoo was one to not spare her own body, it could have been difficult role to portray also?

SHS. However in fact Young EunSoo is a character who uses her mind not her body. Maybe that's why, but it wasn't difficult physically. Not many hours of shoots either... it may have been difficult in my mind, but not physically. (Laughs)

Q. Although you say that, when HSM points o SDJ as a suspect, did you not stick your neck out find out if it's true or not? The scene of getting your neck strangled by the crazed SDJ looks difficult.

SHS. Lee JoonHyuk sunbae [title of senior] did a good job of making it seem real I think. Because it's a scene where we strike one another there were many things to worry about, and he did tell me, 'you have to make it look real in one shot so we can finish it quicker'. In reality, when would he have had practice beating up on a woman? He was very apologetic through the shoot, and he showed much care also. At any rate getting it over with as quick as possible was best, so I fell over well and looked miserable because of it I think. (Laughs)

Q. Another physical scene ... to prove father's innocence ... secretly jumped on Kim TaeGyun's delivery truck to follow him scene. Young EunSoo's 'Young Kook' aspect seemed magnified, but ... sitting in a truck on a cold day must've suffered a bit?

SHS. It was a scene where I could have seemed like an 'annoying loser'. In that scene Hwang ShiMok bursts out in anger, and I could have seemed like an annoying loser, but looking at the big picture, EunSoo was desperate. Whether jumping on a truck or thinking only of herself and acting selfishly, to her these are just very desperate acts. Even if there are viewers who hate EunSoo, I hope they do not look at her negatively, but rather understand that she is in a situation where she feels she has no option but to behave in such a way.

Q. One of Young EunSoo's great scenes, is when she is hanging Hwang ShiMok's knit sweater after laundry. After hand washing the knitted sweater and ruining(?) it, the song she sends to Hwang ShiMok is the song 'Letter' that starts out with the words, 'I think this is the end'. Some humorously have said it could be construed as a song that the ruined sweater was sending to the owner HSM.

SHS. I was surprised quite a bit reading comments about the knit sweater. At first, 'what exactly is funny?' I thought, I found out later knits have to be washed with 'wool shampoo'(?) they say. When would EunSoo have worn knit sweaters or washed them? Actually I don't enjoy wearing knit sweaters either so I don't know how to wash it.(Laughs) When I heard people laughing at 'Letter' I was wondering why, but later when it was said, 'the poor sweater is singing farewell to its owner', I laughed and laughed.

Q. Since your debut you have been working steadfastly without rest. This time, too, as soon as SF is over you had decided to appear on KBS2 weekend drama 'My Golden Life'. Do you have a wish to rest a bit?

SHS. SF was a pre-produced work. I rested plenty after it wrapped up. For me, the more I work more I want to work, and am having fun at it. Because I've not been around long enough nor established myself firmly in the industry, there's no margin for thoughts like 'I want to rest' in my mind.

Q. Any reason you resolved to do this role?

SHS. I've always been a fan of writer So HyunKyung. I had been wanting to work with her, and this chance came, so I'm happy. The Seo JiAn role I play is that of a single person around my age, in her first year of work, not a gold-spoon but a kid who has to live realistically under the weight of her circumstances. It's a story that our generation can readily sympathize with, and I think it'll remind me of my parents alot (laughs).

Q. The first half of 2017 flew by. The second half has begun - if you have a goal for the second half?

SHS. Doing a good job with 'My Golden Life', other than that there're no other goals. I really hope the drama does well, and that in that role my acting would go well without looking awkward.

Geum BitNa reporting sestar@sedaily.com

Probably my last post on this thread, a tribute to YES, slain early in life. One of SHS's longest and most thorough interviews, especially for all the Young EunSoo fans. Meech-approved! :w00t::rolleyes::phew:^_^:wub::ph34r:B):sweatingbullets::blink::heart:

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stranger (Secret Forest) enjoys success as tvN's top rated series in 2017

by Nancy Z on Wed, Aug 09, 2017

0ee490e6-aa38-4e38-b1c8-444d60aa743e.jpg

Following last year's smash hits in Goblin and Answer Me 1988, the Korean network tvN's best hit of 2017 turns out to be a suspenseful thriller written by a first-time scriptwriter, Stranger (Secret Forest), starring Bae Doo Na and Cho Seung Woo. We'd like to congratulate Stranger's success and show some behind-the-scene photos where the actors relax beyond their on-screen serious personas.

No spoilers here, just fun photos as a tribute to the fantastic Stranger (Secret Forest) and its actors. The drama's fans will definitely enjoy the rare smiles and camaraderie. Read more about the awesome actors HERE and the plot HERE. The drama is also known as Forest of Secrets.

Yeah, the news about the next work of the writer Lee Soo yeon is great news indeed. I look forward for next year anticipating her new drama.

just checking in to say that i am still missing this show very much, and still find it difficult to move on. i've not tried any shows so far because everything pales in comparison.  Missing HSM, HYJ and all the other cast so much. This show is made of so much quality that it really is difficult to beat!

2 hours ago, kd-addict said:

just checking in to say that i am still missing this show very much, and still find it difficult to move on. i've not tried any shows so far because everything pales in comparison.  Missing HSM, HYJ and all the other cast so much. This show is made of so much quality that it really is difficult to beat!

Same! I couldn't move on after Goblin and a few months later, it's the same feeling for Secret Forest. I can't find another drama that is as satisfying to watch. 

6 minutes ago, titania1000 said:

This post is far too long. I'll come back later to add some thoughts about what her interview and her view on her character. 

Lol, is all I could say.

I know I said I won't post anymore but, but

Korean fans are good at showing appreciation.

Here's what Shin HyeSun's appreciation plaque says:

"영또라는 별명처럼 물불 가리지 않는 초임검사로 아버지의 누며을 벗겨내기 위해 힘쓰다 슬픈 결말을 맞게 되는 가슴 아픈 캐릭터를 연기해 시청자들로 하여금 연민을 느끼게 한 장본인으로서 그 노고에 감사드리며 그 뜻을 이 패에 담아 드립니다"

Like the 'Young Kook' nicknamed character who while stopping at nothing as a new prosecutor to restore her father's reputation came to her tragic ending causing much heart-ache - to the one who through such acting made the viewers feel this deep regret, for her hard work we give thanks and present this plaque which holds our sympathies.

Would like to find what else they wrote for each of the other plaques handed out. Please post links to your favorite actor IGs if they acknowledged their plaques.

@meechuttso  the plaque, the love... so true.  I love it when actresses/actors are fortunate to find the roles that reward them for willing to take the risks.  All signed on for the drama without the complete script even though drama is preproduced.  I hope  Shin HyeSun's future is bright.

Another more in depth interview of scriptwriter Lee So Yeon.  @meechuttso or @stroppyse (only if you have watched the finale episode 16, otherwise, do not check spoiler :lol:), not sure if it is possible at all for you to summarize.  

Blu Ray is coming out with autographs from cast

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi everyone. Strangers (Forest of Secrets) is a very captivating show. Being an anime fan myself, I can imagine this crime drama as a live-action one adapted from a popular anime. Because the attention to reasoning in this show is so detailed and the set-up of the show is based on a hypothetical prosecution system that is so corrupted to the core, unseen in democratic real world countries.

Also, the show has a hook at the end of every episode. Boy, did it hook me till the last episode. So good.

As for the plot, it is complicated yet properly portrayed with logic. There were convulated layers of motives throughout the show. Old ones were discarded as new information emerged. There wasn't a time when one could say for sure that "That character is the killer!" (Not until the end)

I love Cho Seung Woo & Bae Doo Na for delivering their characters so well. The chemistry between an emotionally indifferent Hwang Shi Mok & at times emotionally charged Lieutenant Han Yeo Jin was perfect. Their competence and logical deduction skills written into the characters by the scriptwriters were more than sufficient to bring credibility to their roles in crime-solving works.

I also like how seeds of suspicion were planted into several characters. This added more twists to the already complex intertwining plot.

Overall, it deserves its place as the top crime fighting drama of the year and will maintain its spot for many years to come.

From Dramabeans

Forest of Secrets writer to pen medical drama next for JTBC

by tipsymocha

ForestofSecretsPoster-1.jpg

Yay, great news! Lee Soo-yeon, the scriptwriter for recently ended Forest of Secrets, is already preparing for her next drama, which is due out sometime next year. She’ll be making a genre and station jump for the new project, which will be a medical show for JTBC. I’m not a huge fan of medicals, but if it’s this writer, I’ll definitely be checking it out.
Read more...

16 hours ago, titania1000 said:

that only a forum like this one can contain. However spending time on forums is time consuming, so nothing is really resolved completely.

Yeah, really. I was here as well for so much time. Didnt like it. Too much time gets lost. And all for just a drama. It wont happen again henceforth.

Oh, the assistant. Ah, well. Thanks fr this. :)

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

@bedifferentFinally, HSM’s final smile left a deep impression on the viewers who speculated whether that was an indicator for a season 2. The writer has said, however, that the ending is not meant to be an open ending leading to a season 2. And, that so many things would need to come together to make a season 2 feasible. However, she was flattered that fans wanted it. And, grateful that her work was received so well by viewers. 

@stroppyse This is great. Thank you for the detail translations! :rolleyes:

"... the ending is not meant to be an open ending leading to Season 2" - sigh. :wacko:
Well... I'm a big believer in "never say never", so I'm crossing fingers for season 2 despite the writer's comment. #hopelesslyhopeful -_-

On 8/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, meechuttso said:

Q. In the story, to the level that's hard for us to comprehend her, Young EunSoo obsessed over and risked her life to recover her father's honor. As the one who acted out Young EunSoo why do you think she ... had done all that ... to the extent that she did?

SHS. If you look at how she had lived to that point, she was born into a good family and grown up not without some hardship. Daddy is a minister of justice (professor?), how proud of him she must have been and how she had respected him. 'Young IlJae's daughter Young EunSoo' was her title she proudly bore daily, but when this rock of her self-identity had been brought low in humiliating way how it must have hurt her pride and shaken her to her core. The restoration of her father's honor that EunSoo speaks of, rather than the true restoration of his status, perhaps it was for recovery of her own sense of identity and honor that she was obsessed. When I realized that for EunSoo, honor [proof of innocence] was more precious than life itself, I began to comprehend her a bit.

Thanks for translating the article. This here.....What she says here about ES's character is exactly what I realized about her character too. It was more to do with her pride and recovering her status in life rather than restoring her father's honor. And this may be the reason I couldn't warm up to her throughout the series. I think SHS did a good job portraying this aspect of the character coz it came out very clearly in some scenes.

Anyways....does anyone know when the full OST is coming out....or is it out already?

I miss hanging out here....we had such fun.

12 hours ago, dito said:

Anyways....does anyone know when the full OST is coming out....or is it out already?

I think it's around August 20th +/-.  

@stroppyse thank you so much for summarizing the article about Lee Soo Yeon!  I appreciate it.  

The reclusive writer... :).  I hope her next medical drama for jTBC will be as unassuming in the way she treats her characters and their stories.  

Spoiler

Spoiler

@stroppyse

Thanks for translating the article. I wanted to ask...does it or any other article you might have read mention whether the writer, before writing Secret forest, did some work as an assistant writer or something. I just find it hard to believe this is her first ever script....it's too polished to be the work of a rookie writer.

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

The articles about her are as I translated on the one article. She was an office worker until she quit because she wanted to write full time. She had five or six treatments that she has been developing. A treatment or project usually means a plot outline plus maybe a script so that she can start a discussion with a production team if interested. Secret Forest was her first work ever produced, and she worked on the plot and scripts for three years before it went into production. She does not seem to have any industry experience as a writer previous to selling Secret Forest as far as the articles about her are concerned. 

From her drama, I think she must put a lot of time into researching since according to the article her details about the Prosecution Service are supposed to be so good and detailed that some people had been speculating that she had worked there prior to writing Secret Forest. 

Btw, there does seem to be a swell of newbie writers right now. I think it's because of the cable networks which are commissioning more original dramas and having to try to do something different than the big broadcast stations. And, with the success of cable, it seems that the broadcast stations are also trying to find new talent.

I'm very glad to hear this. Recently well written korean dramas have been few and far between. I felt I might have to take a break from them....and right then Secret Forest came along. I think the time right now is most advantageous for the cable channels to take risks and come out of the dominance the big 3 networks have placed them under. What worked a decade ago won't work now. Times change so do people's taste. New writers will bring fresh ideas and won't be burdened down by going with the tried and tested.

Archived