[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

The Korea Herald

Family drama, rom-com and genre series will continue to go strong

By Rumy Doo

... “‘Stranger’ is the most outstanding result that inherits only the best of the Korean genre drama, which has undergone a long trial and error period,” drama critic and TV personality Heo Ji-woong wrote in a column this month, citing the history of past acclaimed genre dramas such as “Sign” (2011) and “Nine: Nine Time Travels” (2013).

Starring Bae Doo-na and Jo Seung-woo, “Stranger” tells a well-constructed story of an unfeeling prosecutor and passionate police investigator.

Heo went on to comment that the subtle tonal balance the drama achieves is “almost like a performance.”

“It is not predictable, but it also appeals to the general public.”

The show was the debut work of scriptwriter Lee Soo-yeon, spotlighted as a promising talent....

Read more...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2017 at 7:37 PM, penelop3 said:

@stroppyse This is great. Thank you for the detail translations! :rolleyes:

"... the ending is not meant to be an open ending leading to Season 2" - sigh. :wacko:
Well... I'm a big believer in "never say never", so I'm crossing fingers for season 2 despite the writer's comment. #hopelesslyhopeful -_-

OH yes... I am also crossing fingers for season 2. I just finished this series and it is so cool full of suspense yet not taxing to watch.  I want and really like to see a continuation of this series... Cho Seung-Woo as Hwang Shi Mok is such a strong character. He holds himself so well in the role and i salute him for that. Imagine having to act out a role as one who's to be "no feelings at all / cold hearted" and make it look so real that's surely ain't easy.  CSW just did that... and I would like to see Season 2 of how he mellow to a smile prosecutor :)  

On 03/09/2017 at 0:05 AM, titania1000 said:

I found this tweet in korean but i wanted to share anyway because it seems to confirm that the script was indeed really transformed at times by the director and the actors, changing completely the meaning of a scene.

For what i understand (please correct me if i'm wrong), it says that during the scene where Shi Mok was washing his hands after Eun Soo's autopsy, he was supposed to cry in the script, but the director (and i suppose the actor) chose to go for a more symbolic way to show his pain and replace it by the few drops of water that we see in this gif.

Honestly, i wish they didn't do this change: their relationship was already written in a such confusion way after ep8 and until her death, especially  he was so harsh to her at the end that i couldn't believe that his pain was sincere/in character considering their past. I  kept doubting and i still  do but less strongly that he was hit hard by her death and was indeed breaking  under the loss.

Could watching his tears have been the clue that i needed to believe that his attitude  wasn't only about him feeling miserable/sorry  for himself for realizing too late what she meant or could have meant to him, but about her and who she was as a person? I'm not sure but at least it would have been something. Everything he did after was so messed up: challenging her father at the burial, rummaging her room without any respect for her and her things, being very satisfied by catching prosecutor Yoon while everyone else felt betrayed and shocked  when he was revealed as her possible killer, and resolving her murder as if it was only a part of the global investigation and nothing personal.

Moreover, I don't think it's clear at all that those drops were symbolic tears, in relation with his incapacity to express himself: it's certainly not what i felt when i watched the scene the 1st time. I didn't read either this interpretation in this forum or elsewhere. I feel that it made good cinematography, but iit left me more distant and cold to a questionable character that i had already a hard time to understand. 

Most of the time, the director and the cast did a good job to fix the weaknesses of the writing but here they over did it.  

I wish i knew how to read korean: i saw so many excepts from the bookscripts that it would be very interesting to translate and compare  to the drama but sadly  i  can't. Or maybe it's a good thing, i'm  now forced to get back to my life....           

On the contrary, I think the way SM acted was in line with his character. Up until that point, he couldn't "feel" any heartfelt emotion, he can get angry, satisfied or curious, but he cant get sad or happy. Not until the last episode when he smiled, we can see his growth. It wasn't even 24hr yet after they found her body, how could an emotionless guy just suddenly shed tears? JSW portrayal was spot on, a guy who was shocked and felt guilty for ignoring his hoobae at the last hours of her life

I thought it was a good scene. I agree that casual watchers may miss the camera focusing on the wet hand dripping with water.  Those who followed the drama and invested in it like me hehahaha probably understood that was the way the director/actor wanted to convey SM's feeling of loss.  I initially also thought that the dripping water are his tears or/and guilt as he couldn't himself stop her killing (the symbolic hand) or even has a hand in her death from not fully protecting her.

I agree that seeing tears falling from his face would be inconsistent with his character or may even prevent the buildup to his outburst at the funeral.

Any news on the full OST release? :blink:

Sorry, has this been posted? Yoo Jae Myung... lol

Thanks @titania1000 for sharing the trailer stills... I was unable to see it when i went to the daum site, since its all hangul and there was no link? 

Its been one month, and tvN did not release any merchandise at all... The OST album that was supposed to be released last month, also has no news... so I doubt its happening... Maybe the downside to using amazing indie bands is, they have no big fanbase, so they don't want to risk making one and not having it sell? Its so ridiculous, when they are the ones who did not market the OST well... 

@nichiwoohee i agree and I am very glad that they chose not to show Simok crying... That really would have been very out of character. At that point, he was already shown to be tearing up in his car as he was driving and lost his steering for a moment there... that was good enough to show how off balance he was at seeing someone he know for more than half a year, and worked closely with, die. 

Sorry Titania lol I don't think I will ever agree that Simok was ever 'strongly attracted to her' I rewatched so many times, and all I can see was indifference and even a desire to consciously push her away since he seem to notice that she seemed to like him. He was actually nice to her as a mentee up until she turned into a suspect, and from then on, he did not trust her again. So his inner monologue while he was jogging talking about her as a suspect, was somehow a response to a personal offense? Wasn't he just analyzing the possibility of her being the culprit, and romance couldn't be further from his mind...?

I feel that Simok's collapse was not only out of pain for her death, but more of all the compounded pressure of the case that was already building up. He was perhaps unable to express them like a normal person like you said, but he also collapsed after Kang Jin seob commited suicide. Simok did not feel attraction or love for him right? In fact, he only had some contempt, because to him Kang Jin seob stole from a dead man, and was not a good or 'innocent' man. But like he said at his second TV interview, no life should be more or less important than another. So he may have felt regret that Kang jin seob had to lose his. I am glad for it, because in this way, he was actually 'more feeling' than Eun Soo, Lee Chang Joon or Yoon regarding KJS's death.

"But he continued consciously to humiliate her publicly each time he had an opportunity. " I really don't see this. After his team returned from their dinner, he just let her leave quietly. He didn't even repeat out loud to ask her to leave. How is that humiliating her? She was the one snooping around, risking compromising an investigation. Sometimes I feel Eun soo's fans love her too much, that you excuse all her behavior but is too harsh on Simok. Simok does not lie maliciously. To him, he really was nice to her. They cannot share any further information with her, since her father was now a person of interest, and he politely asked her to leave. Her sticking around refusing to do so, is not something professional, but more of a childish response. 

Simok shouted fiercely at Kang Jin seob's wife too. If you want to say he was only doing it as an interrogation technique, but to me, he was at that moment, connecting with his frustration that a life had been lost. So he did shout.. And I was glad he shouted at the dad at her funeral, that gave voice to what some of us were feeling too. If Mr Young passed him that USB that same morning Simok went to ask for it, then Eun Soo would not have died that afternoon going home to take it ( disrespecting her dad's wishes - if she waited until that evening to talk to him, beg him for it, things could have been very different - it would have been stolen, but she would still be alive ). He shouted at ES for risking her life recklessly.

As for his drinking, I suspect Simok could drink all along. Perhaps from university days where students always got hazed etc... He just did not want to do so now because drinking to him maybe was something to do with a close friend. Soju is a hard liquor and his taste buds are working fine. Being 'brain damaged' would not have made him impervious to the taste or the effects. But he drank it neatly like it was water. He also demonstrated a good capacity of handling his liquor as well, since it seems that after he drank in Ep15 he went back to his office to work. If he was bad at holding his liquor, he would have been throwing up and having a hangover. Simok would not have chosen to compromise his ability to work hard to close the case at this point, by getting drunk and losing control. If the writer was aiming for a makjang drama reaction to losing someone he loved, she would have shown him passed out drunk at home, drowning in sorrow. As it was, he just stopped at half a bottle since his phonecall was done, and continued to work and moved on. Don't hold it against him, think of him as a Vulcan, as a cute fanart has shown. It was just not logical for him to do otherwise.

Same for Simok's smiling. Maybe at times, he feels happy and smiles. But he is actually not aware that it is happening. In Ep8 he was surprised when he was told that he was smiling. He probably never thought it was possible. It was like a switch that somehow connected at the moment, and the circuit for smiling closed and he smiled... he has no idea how to make it happen... Except at the ending, it seems that he is able to make the conscious connection now.

I noticed that, even until the end, Simok has never addressed anyone directly by name alone. Even at the last 2 eps, when he was talking about ES, he used the entire name, 'Young Eun Soo'. That is quite a detached way of calling someone. And even he was friendly with Yeo jin, he only called her by her rank, never by her name alone.

I can tell you love this drama alot too @titania1000... afterall, we are still talking about it... one month after it ended... Sorry our views are not the same, but we have fun discussing right ? kekeke

4 hours ago, st4rdust said:

Thanks @titania1000 for sharing the trailer stills... I was unable to see it when i went to the daum site, since its all hangul and there was no link? 

Its been one month, and tvN did not release any merchandise at all... The OST album that was supposed to be released last month, also has no news... so I doubt its happening... Maybe the downside to using amazing indie bands is, they have no big fanbase, so they don't want to risk making one and not having it sell? Its so ridiculous, when they are the ones who did not market the OST well... 

@nichiwoohee i agree and I am very glad that they chose not to show Simok crying... That really would have been very out of character. At that point, he was already shown to be tearing up in his car as he was driving and lost his steering for a moment there... that was good enough to show how off balance he was at seeing someone he know for more than half a year, and worked closely with, die. 

Sorry Titania lol I don't think I will ever agree that Simok was ever 'strongly attracted to her' I rewatched so many times, and all I can see was indifference and even a desire to consciously push her away since he seem to notice that she seemed to like him. He was actually nice to her as a mentee up until she turned into a suspect, and from then on, he did not trust her again. So his inner monologue while he was jogging talking about her as a suspect, was somehow a response to a personal offense? Wasn't he just analyzing the possibility of her being the culprit, and romance couldn't be further from his mind...?

I feel that Simok's collapse was not only out of pain for her death, but more of all the compounded pressure of the case that was already building up. He was perhaps unable to express them like a normal person like you said, but he also collapsed after Kang Jin seob commited suicide. Simok did not feel attraction or love for him right? In fact, he only had some contempt, because to him Kang Jin seob stole from a dead man, and was not a good or 'innocent' man. But like he said at his second TV interview, no life should be more or less important than another. So he may have felt regret that Kang jin seob had to lose his. I am glad for it, because in this way, he was actually 'more feeling' than Eun Soo, Lee Chang Joon or Yoon regarding KJS's death.

"But he continued consciously to humiliate her publicly each time he had an opportunity. " I really don't see this. After his team returned from their dinner, he just let her leave quietly. He didn't even repeat out loud to ask her to leave. How is that humiliating her? She was the one snooping around, risking compromising an investigation. Sometimes I feel Eun soo's fans love her too much, that you excuse all her behavior but is too harsh on Simok. Simok does not lie maliciously. To him, he really was nice to her. They cannot share any further information with her, since her father was now a person of interest, and he politely asked her to leave. Her sticking around refusing to do so, is not something professional, but more of a childish response. 

Simok shouted fiercely at Kang Jin seob's wife too. If you want to say he was only doing it as an interrogation technique, but to me, he was at that moment, connecting with his frustration that a life had been lost. So he did shout.. And I was glad he shouted at the dad at her funeral, that gave voice to what some of us were feeling too. If Mr Young passed him that USB that same morning Simok went to ask for it, then Eun Soo would not have died that afternoon going home to take it ( disrespecting her dad's wishes - if she waited until that evening to talk to him, beg him for it, things could have been very different - it would have been stolen, but she would still be alive ). He shouted at ES for risking her life recklessly.

As for his drinking, I suspect Simok could drink all along. Perhaps from university days where students always got hazed etc... He just did not want to do so now because drinking to him maybe was something to do with a close friend. Soju is a hard liquor and his taste buds are working fine. Being 'brain damaged' would not have made him impervious to the taste or the effects. But he drank it neatly like it was water. He also demonstrated a good capacity of handling his liquor as well, since it seems that after he drank in Ep15 he went back to his office to work. If he was bad at holding his liquor, he would have been throwing up and having a hangover. Simok would not have chosen to compromise his ability to work hard to close the case at this point, by getting drunk and losing control. If the writer was aiming for a makjang drama reaction to losing someone he loved, she would have shown him passed out drunk at home, drowning in sorrow. As it was, he just stopped at half a bottle since his phonecall was done, and continued to work and moved on. Don't hold it against him, think of him as a Vulcan, as a cute fanart has shown. It was just not logical for him to do otherwise.

Same for Simok's smiling. Maybe at times, he feels happy and smiles. But he is actually not aware that it is happening. In Ep8 he was surprised when he was told that he was smiling. He probably never thought it was possible. It was like a switch that somehow connected at the moment, and the circuit for smiling closed and he smiled... he has no idea how to make it happen... Except at the ending, it seems that he is able to make the conscious connection now.

I noticed that, even until the end, Simok has never addressed anyone directly by name alone. Even at the last 2 eps, when he was talking about ES, he used the entire name, 'Young Eun Soo'. That is quite a detached way of calling someone. And even he was friendly with Yeo jin, he only called her by her rank, never by her name alone.

I can tell you love this drama alot too @titania1000... afterall, we are still talking about it... one month after it ended... Sorry our views are not the same, but we have fun discussing right ? kekeke

My opinion is the same, Shi Mok never had particular feelings for her, but they worked together and her dad asked for her protection ; as for the soju he just drank 1/4 from the bottle, there is a scene with the bottle after he left. Everything was so "clear cut" in this drama that I hard find any flows. Jo Seung Woo made a precious portrayal of the character; all the actors involved, together with the script made an incredible drama. And you know that is hard to make an outstanding and sparkling acting with a positive role, the villainous one is more offertant. 

On 4 September 2017 at 3:08 AM, titania1000 said:

Thank you a lot for your answer!! :)It's been a while since i had the opportunity to discuss the drama. 

My interpretation has changed over the run of the drama but i think now it's cemented on the fact that he had feelings all along but just wasn't in capacity to express them. For me, he wasn't emotionless but his emotions were at times so devoid of any kind of tension/excitation, so low especially when  they were positive that he didn't feel the need to act on them or show them. This passivity/unresponsiveness was seen as sign of lack of emotions while it was just him not adopting the attitude considered socially appropriate.   It wasn't an automatism for him to act accordingly to his feelings, it required an action on his part and most of the time he was just not motivated enough to do it, and  depending the situation sometimes clueless at how to do it.  To sum up the surgery never supressed or restrained his feelings, but it made him apathic like the doctor confirmed it in ep 14.   

There was a scene at the start of the show where he was called by section chief Kang to a restaurant where the chief was eating with prosecutor Yoon, Section chief Kang called him only to harass him: to announce to him that an investigation was going to be ordered and that he will be the one to take the fall for Park Sung Moon's failed investigation. Shi Mok listened while eating as if it didn't care about his future, showing no special reaction to the news as if it was just a fact. However it was clear (for us) that he was very anxious that he could lose his job. And there's a ton of examples like this.

So i consider  that there  was no growth for him in terms of feelings. His feelings for Eun Soo  were as strong before than after her death. Their relationship met a turning point in ep 8 when she went very far, put her life in danger to prove him that Dong Jae wasn't the culprit. While he was until then strongly attracted to her and no shy about showing it, he took her defense of Dong Jae as a personal offense for various reasons. He felt hurt and rejected and  turned his back on her to the point where  he started to act very mean to her. He knew perfectly that he wasn't nice to her  despite his protestions to  Yeo Jin at the party and in his office when she called him on his rudeness. Earlier in ep 10, he could clearly see the difference between his own attitude  and prosecutor Yoon's efforts to help her when they were trying to get a change of  testimony from the man who delivered the money to her father. But he continued consciously to humiliate her publicly each time he had an opportunity. 

I don't think that crying would have been more ooc for him than the fact that he collapsed under the pressure of a loss of someone he treated so badly, or the fact that he was very suddenly in capacity to drink few days after her death when he refused to do it all his life, or to shout angrily at her funeral when he never raised his voice before. After all, he was supposed to mourn more than his junior or his colleague, the woman he loved. No kdrama, no writer would make his male main character batttle such deep emotions, or bring him to a breaking point if romantic love isn't involved at one point.

But int his story it took a strange turn:  the writing made her death all about him and the acting and directing finished to bury the little consideration that he could have for her. I have a theory about why but sadly no time now to develop it.

Sorry for the late reply.. I agree that SM's problem  is his inability to express emotions, but I disagree that the reason for his anger was romantic feeling, regret is a powerful thing, more so if it caused someone's death 

can someone explain why ga young was used in the scheme of things? I get yoon's explanation but it seemed to lack lcj's motive - she was using her body for money just as park was using lives? and that gave him a reason to nearly kill her? i thought he was just trying to convince shi mok that he was deluded enough to be behind both the felonies, so when it comes to lcj, what was his motive for using ga young? did he resent her for selling her body?? how is that heroic in his eyes, seems more deluded..especially since his plan was somewhat based in his morality when it comes to justifying his murder. 19 years of planning to expose corruption and you use a prostitute with tangible dirt on one richard simmons police chief to just stir the pot?

On 9/11/2017 at 5:10 PM, nichiwoohee said:

Sorry for the late reply.. I agree that SM's problem  is his inability to express emotions, but I disagree that the reason for his anger was romantic feeling, regret is a powerful thing, more so if it caused someone's death 

@titania1000

This, I just I silent reader before, but that opinion about Shimok ever had any romantic feeling for Eun Soo is completely wrong and delusional, he always looks uncomfortable and indifferent with her, what kind of love he showed us that. He doesn't like and feel uncomfortable with her advance. even suspicious of her being the killer, I see someone said he scolded Eunsoo or got angry during her funeral and that's because he has romantic feeling for her, but no, he scolded Jin sub's wife too because both women being stupid. And what kind of turning point is ep 8, that is maybe episode that show he has no remorse in using her as bait to prove both her and Dong Jae innocent what if Dong Jae actually kills her, he only about to shoot him after he noticed Dong Jae didn't kill her. He knows she is too ambitious and stupid for her own good that make him doesn't want to involve with her, how can someone see that as he was getting rejected as the reason he is being mean to her is really ridiculous. In the early episode he didn't seem like he wanted to take responsibilty for Jinsub case until Chang Joon baits him. Also how do we know he never drink in her life before, he didn't say he never drink he just did not want to drink and even with that mourn over Eun Soo death he never drunk and maybe only drink to ease his emotion, he doesn't even finish that one bottle of soju. Also it seems people didn't pay attention that she was junior that was working for him in his office as her mentor before she gets her own office, she was just as much important for him like that two assistants in his office, I bet he will feel the same mourn if one of those two assistant die, also he feels regret of not believing her and that last phone call before her death that she wanted to meet him to give him the evidence make him blaming himself of course when you don't want to believe and ignore someone that has no bad intention with you, just want to help you,  you meet often,  you will feel  sad and regret if she dies especially that her death also related with the case he tried to solve and he also invited the serial killer in his team too more or so he is the most to blame and of course her father too for hiding the evidence, that is why his angry to her father is justified.

I binged watch this drama not too long ago, and I'm still thinking about it. It left such a lasting impression that I had to sign in and see what other people thought. I'm glad, though, that I waited until the drama finished to watch, because I don't think I could've patiently waited week after week until the conclusion! It's rare for a Kdrama to leave a lasting imprint on me. This is probably one of the top ten dramas I've ever seen. It's so succinctly written and composed. The production was thoughtful to the point that they even used the strength and weakness of each cast member to tell the story. Big applause to such wonderful teamwork between writer, director, and casting director all around. I mean, they're head and shoulders above the rest. 

I can see that SM's speech on TV near the end could be perceived as preachy. But this drama is supposed to deliver this message, and quite honestly, most of us would be disappointed if SM didn't give a speech to sum up the purpose of the story. He's been our humble leader and shinning beacon throughout this process, so it's only fitting that he closes the story with the moral that we're suppose to learn. The story made us viewers empathized with SM well enough that we actually welcome him to hit us over the head with it. It's one criticism I both agree and disagree with.

Bae Doo Na is forever bae. (Yeah, sorry, I went there.) She's really brought a sensitivity to YJ that not many actresses can pull off. YJ is so tough and feminine at the same time, and the writing and acting could've pushed her one way or another, but she was neither. It's like the show didn't try to flaunt off one side over another just because she's a woman. She's a quirky person, just like the other misfits that SM recruited and took a liking to. Same with ES too, she wasn't just a helpless young woman, she's also tough in her own way.

Speaking of which, I think there was also disagreement over the very subtle romance side of things. While there is room for interpretation, I think SM realizes ES's dedication to him in the end (and her budding crush) but doesn't think of her as more than a junior. I think she was able to get through his tough exterior, yes, but they never really had the chance to developed more. So who knows if all of this murder stuff isn't in the picture.

I think by that point, though, YJ's persistency and support have already gotten her a place in his mind. I do wonder about that bread eating scene. I wonder why he looked so uncomfortable after declaring that the bread she was eating tasted bad. The two of them have this awkward/teasing chemistry with each other and it's so fitting that two weird characters would developed an equally if not weirder relationship.

Anyway, I'm sad that it was so short, and there isn't talk of a season two. Understandably, it'd be hard for two high-profile actors to come together on a TV project again. It's great while it lasted, I'm so glad this drama was so successful. Definitely hope for many awards for the ensemble cast and writer and production team involved. What a great show.

The First Annual 'The Seoul Awards' - Nominations Announced, Lee Bo-Young, Ji Sung, Cho Seung-Woo, etc. fabulous line-up announced.

1OL7AMFZOF_1.jpg

From http://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/1OL7AMFZOF

Drama Best Actor - Ji Sung (SBS 'Defendant'), Nam Goong-Min (KBS 2TV 'Manager Kim'), Cho Seung-Woo (tvN 'Secret Forest'), Yoon Kyoon-Sang (MBC 'Thief who stole the...').

Who will receive the once-in-a-lifetime newcomer award, we wonder.

Nominees for Best Newcomer Actress - Yoon So-Hee (MBC '??'), Gong Seung-Yeon (tvN 'Introverted Boss'), Kim Se-Jung (KBS 2TV 'School 2017'), Shin Hye-Sun (tvN 'Secret Forest') !!!

The Seoul Awards Announces Nominees For First Year Of Ceremony

Lee-Bo-Young-Ji-Sung-Namgoong-Min-Park-B

From https://www.soompi.com/2017/09/27/seoul-awards-announces-nominees-first-year-ceremony/

The Seoul Awards will be held for the first time this year!

The new awards show will celebrate the top dramas and films, as well as the actors that graced them. The winners will be selected through scores, with 70 percent determined by expert judges. 30 percent is determined by a group of 60 citizens who are chosen through an extensive interview process.

The ceremony will be held at 6 p.m. KST on October 27 at Kyung Hee University’s Grand Peace Palace.

Check out the nominees below:

tumblr_os4ocjOZyc1valxs7o1_400.gif tumblr_ouifzzZjFj1valxs7o1_540.gif

Yesss!!  sorry I was too busy so I was away but what happened to the forum it took forever to load on my phone...

The nomination news brought me back yaaaaaaay... Finally we have great news for Secret Forest! Granted this is a new award but to be nominated alongside worthy opponents makes it so good! Very happy for Jo Seung woo, Shin Hye Sun and all cast and crew who made SF amazing! I'm hoping there is a Best Script writing category too... That will hopefully let other writers inspire to greater new heights ❤️❤️❤️

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=382&aid=0000596999&lfrom=twitter

@meechuttso ohhh whoaaaa, the B&W gif of SHS is striking! Beautiful.   Does anyone know how her weekend drama is doing? 

The Seoul Awards... yay for JSW and SF.  JSW is in a tough acting category against Jisung :)  Fighting!

Nice shout out to the writer by other scriptwriters.

-------

DOTS writer Kim Eun-sook impressed by Secret Forest

Descendants of the Sun and Goblin writer Kim Eun-sook expressed her admiration for the tvN drama Secret Forest. During the ‘Best meets best: Goblin vs. Signal’ talk event in Dongdaemun Fashion Town in Seoul held on September 6, the star writer said that one of the most impressive works she watched recently is the legal thriller drama starring Jo Seung-woo (God’s Gift – 14 Days) and Bae Doo-na (Gloria).

Kim Eun-hee, the writer of the award-winning drama Signal, attended the said event with Kim Eun-sook and also praised Secret Forest.

Secret Forest, also known as Stranger, is a 16-episode series about a righteous and “emotionless” prosecutor who teams up with a police detective to solve a mysterious murder case involving corrupt government officials, including some prosecutors ought to serve and protect the public by indicting criminals. The series received critical acclaim and high viewership ratings for its gripping storyline, well-thought-out characterization, and the solid performance of actors. Kim Eun-sook was one of those who intently followed the drama’s story. Thinking about how the writer of the series wrote such a quality work, she confessed that the writer wrote it so well that she wants to meet her in person.

Secret Forest Poster 2

Lee Soo-Yeon is the proud screenwriter who penned the successful drama in a way that has caught Kim Eun-sook’s attention. Secret Forest is her debut drama, so the fact that she had written it very well is quite impressive, giving hope to her fans that she would write another hit series soon. It was announced by JTBC on August 10 that the writer was actually already preparing for her new project which is a medical drama to be broadcast on the cable network next year. The new drama is in its early stage of pre-production works and so far only the synopsis is completed and the writing of the script is still underway. The casting will commence once the script is done.

Lee Soo-yeon worked with Rooftop Princeand Mrs. Cop PD Ahn Gil-ho in producing Secret Forest, which aired on Saturdays and Sundays from June 10 to July 30, 2017, and was followed by Live Up To Your Name.

Source: 1 | 2

https://www.kdramapal.com/dots-writer-kim-eun-sook-impressed-by-secret-forest/

Archived