[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

16 hours ago, titania1000 said:

@bedifferent Her new show My Golden Life is doing well: it's the lead program every weekend all networks included, and keeps winning new viewers. It reached 30% last week. :) It's a classic family drama with interesting themes (what creates the bonds between children and parents in case of adoption, what it means to be succesfull) but the writing lack subtetly and situations can be over the top. However SHS is still doing very well and carries the drama as a lead as if it's the most natural thing for her. 

In case you wanted to link there directly instead of searching for it.B)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is so good to find that this thread is still active! For me, Secret Forest is the Best Drama of 2017 and both leads and the supporting cast did a fabulous job with an excellent script and directing. I have just re-watched the drama and still love it very much! 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being late to the party as always but I recently finished the drama and would like to share my thoughts as well (of course I'd be thrilled to hear your opinion on them).

The writer seems to be a big Park Kyung-Soo fan. She was influenced by his writing as proven by the numerous twists and carefully placed flash-backs. I found elements of 'Chaser' and 'Punch' in this drama. 

For example the delusion of the villain and his prior righteousness reminded me so much of the the villainess in 'Punch'. Both were supposed to be role models and their professions were similar too. Lee Chang-Joon also shared some other similarities with the main villain. Both have a humble background and (at first involuntarily) took part in bribery and 'slipped' into a system of malaise. Like writer Park Kyung-Soo, she also enjoys blurring the lines between good and bad and seems fascinated by the anti-hero theme.

What reminded me of 'Chase'r was the ambigious relationship Lee Chang-Joon had with his wife. The villain in The Chaser also didn't make it clear at first whether he was abusing his wife's love to fulfill his desires and he shared some tensions with his father-in-law as well (both father-in-laws had high-ranking, influential positions in society and both couldn't trust their son-in-laws and were aware of their greed).

And of course the thing with Lee Chang-Joon cutting off his right arm made me think of Kwang-Jae in Punch (at this point, I'm trying hard not to spoil anything).

There are many more paralells I found, but then this post would become a novel. If you read up until here : thank you for your attention.

I don't need to state that this drama was really awesome and in which ways its execution was brilliant. We all know the answers and hate repetitions.

Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

@UnniSarah Thank for tagging me! :D I'm so happy to hear such good news. Let's hope that all the original cast will be present in the second season. These past few weeks have been so generous on good news, all my favourite dramas are in talks for a second season (Secret Forest, Voice and even a negotiation for season 2 of Signal). 

Thanks for the shout out, @UnniSarah and congrats to the SF team of course!

I saw the articles and kind of ignored it, frankly, because the gist of it sounds like - different writer, and cast 'all but set'.

I will stay tuned to see how they pull this off, because the news poses some serious challenges - all the most important folks and the central plot possible around them have gone away now. LCJ, YES, dead. Yoon in prison for life. SDJ probably now out of the picture. Who's left? CSW and BDN? They are great as leads, but only if whoever writes the sequel can come up with compelling story like the original? Will LCJ's wife be in the sequel since her father is old sick or dying? What could be interesting in that story when we know so much about her already. The bar is set so high in this original.

I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but my feeble imagination can't come up with how SF2 can top or come close to the first one.

I am inclined to wait for the writer's medical drama we heard about.

Cheers everyone, and long live Secret Forest!

5 hours ago, nateko said:

@UnniSarah Thank for tagging me! :D I'm so happy to hear such good news. Let's hope that all the original cast will be present in the second season. These past few weeks have been so generous on good news, all my favourite dramas are in talks for a second season (Secret Forest, Voice and even a negotiation for season 2 of Signal). 

@meechuttso and @nateko..... I was hoping for Season 2 with the same Investigation team. I don’t really care about if it is about corruption but it can be another criminal case.  There are so many different type of crimes that needs to be solved.  Cold Cases, SVU crimes and Serial cases. 

I'm chanting and praying for the drama god to make this happen. Both sequel Forest of Secret and Signal with all the original cast! Make it happen! Please make it happen! I need to see the development of our duo!

Bae Doona And Cho Seung Woo’s “Forest Of Secrets” In Talks For A Second Season

forest-of-secrets.jpg

The drama “Forest of Secrets” might be getting a second season.

On November 10, a source from Studio Dragon stated that they were considering the possibility of Season 2 and that nothing has been decided in concrete.

Details about casting, production, and organization time are naturally still up in the air, but Season 1 writer Lee Soo Yeon has been confirmed to be writing the script.

The first season of “Forest of Secrets” starred Cho Seung Woo as a prosecutor and “Sense8” actress Bae Doona as a police officer investigating corruption and murder in the District Attorney’s Office. It aired last June.

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/10/bae-doona-jo-seung-woos-forest-secrets-talks-second-season/

@Nymeria289 I am so with you chingu. Without them , I wouldn't watch it at all. Now if they change the title and the same writer wrot the script than maybe I will watch it. To me Secret/ Stranger had a true meaning to Han Shi Mok being an enigma to everyone he has ever dealt with . He was as much a stranger as t his other coworkers.

7 hours ago, larus said:

Details about casting, production, and organization time are naturally still up in the air, but Season 1 writer Lee Soo Yeon has been confirmed to be writing the script.

@larus....  Thanks for sharing this info... :heart::heart:

hi everyone!! I am just at episode 11 of Secret Forest and I am utterly amazed by this drama. So I decided to search for the drama's OSTs and I am just quite confused since there are OSTs, at most three music videos with Eun Soo and Shi Mok. Is there supposed to be something between them? 

@titania1000 oh.... That's why. I noticed that there is no love line in the drama and I noticed that people ship Yeo Jin and Shi Mok. Although they are cute, I think they're compatible with each other as friends who trust each other. With Eun Soo, although as of now, I can say that probably theres no romantic feelings involve between those two. It still leaves me questioning something regarding their chemistry I think? I personally don't like Eun Soo's character at first but the writer is letting the viewers see something between them ( I don't know what type of relationship they are) regarding the OST, for those people who haven't watched the drama, they might think that those two are a couple. Probably the writer just wants the viewers to speculate something, especially the translation of the OSTs with Eun Soo and Shi Mok are mostly about Eun Soo loving Shi Mok and Shi Mok saying goodbye to Eun Soo. And with Yeo Jin, I think there is only one OST of them together and the lyrics are not that romantic at all. But I don't know. I just think as of now that there is no love line in this drama and I am satisfied with that. 

Archived