[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

7 minutes ago, theonlyone88 said:

I can fully understand where you are coming from and I also do think that he will want to become become king to protect the ones he love and value. However, I do think that  we as viewers have to completely disregard our modern sensibilities if we are to look at things objectively based on the context of the time period. Firstly, the notion of monogamy are only quite a recent concept and definitely not existing in the past especially in royal or noble families, it is only made that way in dramas to be socially acceptable. I do not think that marrying Yeon Hwa will be considered a sacrifice to Wang So if you look at scenes featuring the both of them e.g him stating he wonders how she will grow up to be and apologizing after preventing her from whipping Hae Soo in front of the others. He may not view her in a romantic light but nevertheless she is someone he values and a small part of him wanting to become king may be also to protect her.   

Secondly, issue of fundamental attribution error, in kdramas, there is the main leads and main cp and the second leads. We as viewers may have over analyse things and think too well of the main leads and think too badly of the second leads especially if they are tagged as the antagonists. In this instance at least up to the current episodes,  I do not think that Yeon Hwa is actually interested in taking revenge, if you look at her interactions with the Queen, she is actually fearful and putting a strong front and haughty so as to not display weaknesses. As she is in a position of weakness, her main thoughts and focus is to lever the odds, thus in front of the king, the image of the perfect daughter, in front of the queen and siblings, capable, resolute and haughty. In front of her servants, rigid and obsessed on proper rules and somewhat unemphatic. Thus, I do not think that she has actually thought that far in terms of Wang So as you mentioned above.

This character is the most intriguing to me at least probably because it does not have a equivalent in the Chinese version of the drama thus its trajectory is unknown and open to creative interpretation by the scriptwriters unlike the main leads. Anyway, this is just my honest opinion about the matters without trying to pick a fight as I fully understand where you come from even if I find your opinion ahead of the current stage (perhaps it may be true in the later episodes) which make it somewhat judgmental and over critical.

You are right that since Wang So might not see it as sacrifice, if he marries Yeon Hwa because of the long tradition of polygamy. . However since Hae Soo is from the 21st Century, she might not accept it. She already had trouble to accept Wang Wook who was married, although her cousin saw no problem in it. In my opinion, Wang So will know that he is hurting Hae Soo by doing it and moreover, if he bargains it with Yeon Hwa, she will request that he never takes Hae Soo as his wife. Therefore this becomes a Sacrifice because I am sure, he would like to have her as his wife. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Putri Dewi said:

i know Queen yoo hate king taejo, but why she hates wang so soo much?? it is hatred towards the king not wang so

even after she hurts wang so's face, she doesnt feel guilty at all

he can love wang yo, but not wang so (?)

agree, i think baek ah & crown prince shows respect to wang so, they don't want to join the humiliation,

not like wang yo, yeonhwa and wook

as for jisoo & baekhyun, they are too young & childish to understand about respect

as for hae soo - i have no idea

after this scene, i admire crown prince, he is really gentle and nice

Just want to say that I agree with you regarding CP.  when he confronted WY and implied about whether he should teach WY a lesson, i senses that CP sincerely cares for WS.  My heart goes to WS.  WY can just go straight to lala land for all i care

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

You are right that since Wang So might not see it as sacrifice, if he marries Yeon Hwa because of the long tradition of polygamy. . However since Hae Soo is from the 21st Century, she might not accept it. She already had trouble to accept Wang Wook who was married, although her cousin saw no problem in it. In my opinion, Wang So will know that he is hurting Hae Soo by doing it and moreover, if he bargains it with Yeon Hwa, she will request that he never takes Hae Soo as his wife. Therefore this becomes a Sacrifice because I am sure, he would like to have her as his wife. 

Probably Wang So will marry YeonHwa after Hae Soo death?! I think this is the most expectable way. I see it like this: Hae Soo will die probably because of Wang So and Wang Wook war-she couldn't tolerate that she is the reasons of bloodshed between brothers or could it be that Hae Soo will be killed or poisoned by someone to whom Wang So trusted. After that Wang So will be despaired and become dark and cruel tiran and then he will marry Yean Hwa just to become more powerful. What do you think?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Lady_Lara said:

Probably Wang So will marry YeonHwa after Hae Soo death?! I think this is the most expectable way. I see it like this: Hae Soo will die probably because of Wang So and Wang Wook war-she couldn't tolerate that she is the reasons of bloodshed between brothers or could it be that Hae Soo will be killed or poisoned by someone to whom Wang So trusted. After that Wang So will be despaired and become dark and cruel tiran and then he will marry Yean Hwa just to become more powerful. What do you think?

This is another possibility but the reason why I am thinking that he will marry her before Hae Soo's death is that the words Wang Wook told him in the episode 4:

"Nothing belongs to you here, neither Yeon hwa nor Hae Soo". I am quite sure that the writer is intenting to turn the situation around. 

• Like 12

Here's a thing about ratings:

Art and Entertainment also have to sustain themselves before bragging about creative liberty.

Ratings = number of people watching = how may people get to see my advertisement = negotitate fees to place an ad on that show = more advertisers and hence negotiate at higher fees to get a slot = more money for the broadcasting agencies and other stakeholders..

All the creative stuff costs something and hence should be profitable. I don't see a reason why ratings would not garner interest (any metric that helps them quantify the result and output they are delivering to the one they are charging money for.. so , audience - give them entertaiment for tv subscription, advertisers - give them eyeballs aka rating)

There is no point in berating what one likes and does not like.. and therefore fan groups etc become important.. are we nice to our fans simply because they love us.. NO!!.. they are another metric to show how much you sell and can sell in the market.. exactly like customers are for a shop.

Scarlet initially has had major editing issues.. and there was another good product in the market so people lapped up that.

However, if scarlet makes it big even in the virtual world/internet.. that is great news.. because that means attracting online advertising and using scarlet's brand to increase footfalls on various sites..

Fans can actually work towards doing that..

Anyway i thin i drifted, essentially what i wanted to say is.. TV or dramas can not use creative liberty as their stand . and neither should viewers expect that "Oh! that drama is so amazing .. and boradcaster is #$%^ to cancel it or not treat it fairly" .. doesn't cut it..

too many people and livelihoods and its capitalism.. yes customers are finicky.. u strike gold for them grt..if not .. down the drain.. owe up to the responsibility and move on

If a drama from the onset intends to target specific viewers, they should come out strongly abt it..which keeps expectations in check

• Like 9

Hi. Okay, I need some help here. There's a song playing at the beginning of episode 7 when Wang So took Haesoo for a tour at lake Dongji. I tried to check on the song here and there but couldn't find anything. Appreciate if someone here could help me with the title of the song and name of the singer. 

Thank you.

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, uuugogirl said:

Yup, i can see it too, it's really slightly visible, maybe So doesn't know how to put enough BB Cream

Or Hae Soo's skill isn't as impressive as we thought it was. Peace :D

52 minutes ago, skxz said:

Well I'm sure that his scar hasn't just magically disappeared because cosmetic surgery didn't exist back then haha. I agree that it is very lightly visible and I think it is thanks to Hae Soo. I believe she is the one that will allow him to see that he can live without hiding behind his mask. And since we all know Hae Soo/Go Ha Jin is a make-up expert, I think she will help use make up to cover his scar not because she thinks it needs covering but because it will help him be more comfortable to show his face. We have to remember that society back then didn't not accept a lot of things and if you looked different you were feared and looked down upon. And from watching the series scars are just big no nos.

Also, his scar is not just seen as a physical flaw by him but holds negative mental and emotional trauma. So I feel like these are baby steps to help him grow and realise his full potential which is what his scar hindered him from growing. 

In the long preview, the part where we see him and Soo ride the horse to the ocean, his scar is still visible and I feel like that is later on in the series. By then he may have full accepted his scar as a part of himelf and it could potentially hold a whole new meaning. I'm hoping it will be something along the lines of a reminder of how he is a fighter and survivor.

Sorry I babbled on for so long. I hope this makes sense :)

No worries. We love reading insights and analysis here. It's been around quite a while now regarding the speculation of HS modern skills being used to cover ws's scar. I'm impressed of their attention to details. Hae Soo covered the scar but didn't mean it would completely disappear. That would be too convenient, wouldn't it? 

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, sukbin said:

Hi. Okay, I need some help here. There's a song playing at the beginning of episode 7 when Wang So took Haesoo for a tour at lake Dongji. I tried to check on the song here and there but couldn't find anything. Appreciate if someone here could help me with the title of the song and name of the singer. 

Thank you.

Edit:

Oops. LyraYoo already posted the details above. xD

• Like 5

I've been reading the forum while waiting for Monday to be here :wub: ... And I tried watching the chinese version.  I know it was very popular, I skimmed it and watched some part of the series.  Without discrediting the C-version, I'm sure there was some beauty and tragic love story between Ruoxi and the 4th prince that people can see and feel, but I felt different.  To me they're too harsh and dysfunctional.  I can't see their timeless love.  I hope the korean version is different.  

• Like 12

To ease the pain waiting till monday, I want to make other character summary based on episode 1-7. Hopefully it will help us a little bit in navigating through out the series, since editing part can be confusing to the viewers. Feel free join to the discussion if I missed something or correct me if I perceive them wrong. :P Just realizes that I talk about wang wook a lot recently, it's only fair if I put the same amount of attention to other characters as well, especially the one in the background, so my precious wang so won't get jealous :D

• Crown Prince Wang Mu, our resident teddy bear soft-hearted wang mu. As a crown prince he bears greater responsibility compare to his other sibling, but with heated palace politics he is a center target of everything and needs to present himself in certain way also hiding any sign of weakness just to survive. All in all, he's in a constant life-threatening situation all the time. This is something that probably hard for him to get used to because unlike his younger siblings, he was much older than them and even born way before goryeo dynasty founded by his father. So yes technically he is different than his siblings, he was not born as a prince, he was born as a military commander son. No wonder he was known as capable military commander and play a key role in his father accomplishment conquering baekje. Unfortunately he was not known as politically-savvy prince, he spent all his youth doing military activities but seems not too successful in gaining support from powerful clan to achieve stability during his reign. What possibly make the situation worse is his health condition. Eczema might be treatable conditions today, but it was difficult during that period. All emotional stress he got didn't help the case either, it triggers the flares. In his conversation with jimong, he also mentions that he frequently missed important court meetings and neglects his duty as crown prince. It burdens him greatly that even he start questioning himself whether or not he is being greedy trying to keep a position that he probably doesn't deserve. Which kind of showcased his tender and sensitive nature. Another instances that highlights his soft-hearted self are: 1. Witnessing wang so tragedy, it was him who came to the rescue first. Everyone else was so scared or left stunned that no court lady/eunuch dare to take bleeding little so. Even if he is still relatively young back then. 2. He feels terrible when he realized that wang so got hurt pretending to be him, as if he took advantage wang so wishes to stay in the palace. Although in fact it was all jimong idea, as it was the only way wang so could stay. But he takes all of the responsibility, promised to take care of wang so and pleads before the king to let him stay. 3. Even after wang so back stabbed him by burning those temples and eliminating all of evidence for his evil queen mother, he holds no grunge and try to understand his reasons. Wang mu still keep his promise to pleads the king to forgive him and let him stay. He's such a great big bother figure that it's unfortunate that he wasn't able to showcased his full potential as king and suffered a great power struggle during his reign that eventually cost his life.
  • 3rd Prince Wang Yo, our villainous character that we love to despise but looked great with eyeliner on. Yes he is a truly despicable man that shows no remorse even after committing a grave mistake or worse, legit crime. He loves to bully and falsely thinking that everyone else is beneath him. But if we dug deeper to his character, he is honestly quite pitiful. He was born as second son to evil queen and struggle to stand out for tiniest affection. No wonder it was him at first that promised to be sent to Kang's clan in shinju. He was around the same age to concubine kang's son that died early. But tragedy happens, and he was "saved" from that terrible fate and evil queen sent wang so instead. Thinking he was debted to his mother kindness after not exiling him, he was determined to return the favor towards his mother. He was desperate thinking he at least need to useful to his mother to earn her affection. Since then he became mama's boy, feeding her mother's greed and vengeful behavior, a mere tool for her goals. Take a look at episode 4 when wang so ratted out evil queen connection to crown prince assassination plan, wang yo start panicking and stupidly pleading to the king taking all the blame himself even before it was proven. He was not that smart, confident and conniving villain like he tries to be. Without his mother, he just an empty shell. What's make it more pitiful is even with all of his dedication, his mother still feel indifferent towards him and just treat him like a tool. He will never receive the same kind of love she gaves to jung unconditionally. It's interesting to note that his hatred towards wang so is not only to mimics his mother, but also to curse the life that almost his fate.

(to be continued...) to cut the post shorter and narrowing the discussion to certain character first, I will talk about other characters later on as monday still feel far away :P Feel free to correct me if I made mistake, thank you all for letting me venting my curiosity about character development as I love to decipher certain character behavior to help us feel more emphaty towards different personalities.

• Like 20

9 hours ago, xwen said:

Really? I only saw the original C drama not the sequel... ok, good to know! But, maybe SBS will remake a better version. Guess it all comes down to ratings and demand. 

With how poor the ratings are right now in Korea, despite the international success I doubt it would get a sequel. :\
So it would be good if they had gone along with a glimpse of the two reuniting in the modern day for the ending.

5 hours ago, qwenli said:

SOMEONE EDITED the WIKI page.

THIS IS TOO MUCH. I understand fans are fervent but I am sticky about truth and facts.

The queen was daemok aka yeonhwa. It was always in wiki like that until today.:angry:

That's the problem with wiki, anybody can edit it. Anyway doesn't mean when it is edited the ending will change, whoever changed it should brace her/himself for disappointment.

To me this is worst than bashing actors/idols because it is a lie and mislead people. 

Folks, this is why our teachers always tells us Wiki is not to be used as a credible source for Research!

• Like 12

my opinion about why WS will marry YH???

• Spoiler

• HS - everything that WS did in the palace after he started their relationship is to protect her at all cost.. when she been demoted to be a servant (the lowest rank and hard labor) i don't think he will stand aside and watch that happen.. WS will do anything to gain power and protect person that he love..
    • 13th - pretty sure the writer will go down this road.. when BaekAh will be framed and received punishment again WS can't do anything because he have no power.. that just make him go crazy cause BaekAh the only person in his sibling that treat him well.. he can't protect all the person that he care and he need power to do that..
    • WS- he deserve to be a king and he knew it.. i think he understand people heart the most and capable of making a big decision.. deep down he really a nice guy and have it all.. skill to think and skill to fight.. he for once i think don't want to see his country fall because of incompetent king..

i want to add that in BBJX 4th treated his wife really well and respect.. i think WS will do the same with YH up until if she don't mess with HS.. the idea of marriage might be a hard one for WS but its something he HAVE to do in order to gain more power.. caring not the same with loving.. WS love HS to death but he still care about his queen.. WS heart belong to HS only that for sure but in a harsh reality of that period love cannot conquer it all.. it have to be a sacrifice and blood to be together... WS will hurt HS and vice versa..its just bound to happen the moment they fall in love..

• Like 18

@Adnana I wanted to compliment you for your comment posted p. 451 good job onion head where you used many pictures crazy monkeyfrom the next episode and tried to figure out the story for the next episode. But I would like to complete your story.

Since there is a drought, a ritual for rain is requested therefore the royal family has to pray for rain. I believe, Wang So will try to be present for the rain ritual and his mother paid people  to throw things at him get out crazy rabbit GzyLkoD.jpgin order to show him that he should leave the palace and to make him feel that he is cursed. After this painful event, he confronts his mother for keeping harassing him pink mouse. This could be one of the reasons why he thinks about the throne, nonetheless the scar is his handicap. Hae Soo hears about the new humiliation and tries to help him with his scar. milk bottle Since all the princes have to come to pray until it rains, at some point, it is Wang So's turn. Wang Yo tries to stop him, yet when the mask falls, there is no huge scar any more and Wang So's ego is not hurt any longer. He does the rain ritual and when it rains, he realises that he might have chances to become king as well. On the other hand, Wang Wook tells her about his intentions that if it rains, he will talk about Hae Soo to the king, but unfortunately it rains after Wang So's ritual so that either Wang Wook doesn't need to do the rain ritual or if he does it, it doesn't rain. 

• Like 24

@fairyalice I have a feeling the ending will be bittersweet in modern world. 

Talking about the Wikipedia "Controversy", guys... Just as @MadraRua and @fairyalice mentioned, Wikipedia is not a reliable source. In university you will never see a thesis with sources of wikipedia, you have to search on books. :) 

EDIT: @Adnana I just love that post of yours xD Wang So's favorite activity hahaha. I also think all will happen in that order. @AvadaKedavra Creations Nice video! Good job! ^_^

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Adnana I wanted to compliment you for your comment posted p. 451 good job onion head where you used many pictures crazy monkeyfrom the next episode and tried to figure out the story for the next episode. But I would like to complete your story.

Since there is a drought, a ritual for rain is requested therefore the royal family has to pray for rain. I believe, Wang So will try to be present for the rain ritual and his mother paid people to throw things at him get out crazy rabbit in order to show him that he should leave the palace. After this painful event, he confronts his mother for keeping harassing him pink mouse. This could be one of the reasons why he thinks about the throne, nonetheless the scar is his handicap. Hae Soo hears about the new humiliation and tries to help him with his scar. milk bottle Since all the princes have to come to pray until it rains, at some point, it is Wang So's turn. Wang Yo tries to stop him, yet when the mask falls, there is no huge scar any more and Wang So's ego is not hurt any longer. He does the rain ritual and when it rains, he realises that he might have chances to become king as well. On the other hand, Wang Wook tells her about his intentions that if it rains, he will talk about Hae Soo to the king, but unfortunately it rains after Wang So's ritual so that either Wang Wook doesn't need to do the rain ritual or if he does it, it doesn't rain. 

and we will get WS and HS hug in the rain cause in a way HS help him in that ritual??? kyaaaa

THE FEELSSS!!!!!

i remember LJG said that after WS realize he love HS he will start approaching her in a romantic way and became a very obsessive person.. i think its started next week if i'm not mistaken we will get 2 hug?? give me my OTP moment and make sure it have a LOT of skinship...!!! lol

• Like 23