[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

My first post for this series here :) I am loving all the comments posted here. It took me a while to get obsessed with the drama. Prime reason being they were showing so little of Lee Jun Ki in the earlier episodes. But now I am finding myself watching and re-watching the episodes. I am enjoying the drama more after I read the analysis here! 

I love the music that is playing in the background when WW is teaching HS to write. I utterly loved the WS and HS horseback escape. It was shot and edited with perfection. 

I find princess YH's and empress yoon's characters most interesting... Its amazing how manipulative and blindly passionate a woman can be. I still dont understand how angry can the queen be to hurt (and continue to keep hurting) her own son. I also love HS. But I love WS the most!! Lee Jun Ki is the only reason I started watching this drama! cute-cry-raccoon-emoticon.gif

• Like 20

Hello eclipses......so I only just wrapped up some persistent work and watched eps 6-7 again in detail. I wanted to write about a lot of thoughts I had because I havent been able to spazz this week. So please bear with me and forgive me if a lot of it is redundant coz I have round 30 pages to back read all the awesome stuff.

Going by the SBS version-

Lady Hae dies and Wook is consumed with guilt. Have you all noticed that when he breaks down in front of Su he mentions that he only now realizes that his feelings for his wife were not mere duty and gratitude but love. If that is his actual realization then he should be quite grief stricken for a long time and take some time to come to terms with his feelings. Even for the sake of limited episodes it makes no sense he got over his wife he claims to have loved quite that fast. Plus what exactly does he feel for Su then? I mean how many different types of romantic love can you feel simultaneously? It makes me think that Wook either doesnt realize what love means to him or he is probably unable to be sincere/ commit to the idea of being in love and having affection for another freely.....something I think that is a side effect of his upbringing and responsibilities.

Coming to Wang Yo- I think of him as that jerk who is slashing at everyone with his words and stirring up anger but never quite goes all out. He has some limited powers that he likes to flaunt and laud over others but is always shying way from actually acting in the open. Like So has said numerous times- a cowardly person who never does take up his claims for the throne with the king but just keeps needling his brothers. On the other hand, under the tutelage of crazy eomma he has developed quite the delusion of Goryeo being his. Till now I don't actually see him as a strong contender for the throne because he really keeps showing his hand quite plainly and I dont believe he is actually that powerful a leader. Plus I have the distinct impression that all that greed he has would definitely make him loose the throne if he ever got it as well as his life......a justified end IMO.

Su's elopement or the try for it- Okay even though we got to see LJK and the horse having awesome chemistry (I did read those fevered posts :D) and SU and So being intimately seated......this entire elopement plan by Wook made no sense to me. a) as head of the household and keeper of Su he never got full info on the groom to begin with :huh: b.) YH again has the most say in determining Su's future :huh:.....the Su that Wook clearly is having a hard time thinking wont be his (person/ possession) c) why on earth does Su need to be packed off to the groom's place in like the span of 10 minutes....what is the urgency? d) really Wook why would you go out on a full gallop in front of everyone who cares to see with a pink hooded figure.....when you should be with those idiot uncles delaying their departure and not arousing any suspicion? aaaand you were caught with no excuse as to why you have Eun in a pink robe??? Anyone with half a brain would instantly deploy men all over the forest to find Su in that instant the stunt was pulled.......this entire plan was :huh:

And how the hell Jimong took that exact same route to corner So-Su! Plus it looks like there would be two sedan chairs?? one that was gonna depart with Su from Wook's place and the other that Jimong had with him.......do you really need 2 sedans??? on the other hand I loved the instrumental bgm that was playing when So was riding with Su :wub:

About the king and queeen Yu's confrontation-----There is this moment when the king plainly accuses her of wanting to kill Mu and get the throne......there is this look of shock on Queen Yu's face which I think was very well done. She knows very well that the accusation is true but the look she gives the king----as if she can't quite believe the king would dream of accusing her of something like this.....and then walks away like a boss to indicate that her pride is hurt and she wouldnt bother with explanations is so like a person would react if truly blameless and her self respect has been hurt....I applaud her on the act she put on.

Lastly for ep 6 I think two people were quite effected by Su's scar attempt-----One was obviously So and the other I feel is lady Oh. I don't think both of these people were expecting Su to be brave enough or desperate enough to do what she did and they just realised how they might have underestimated her spirit. So begins to care for her wellbeing earnestly and not in a hitherto slightly aloof way while lady Oh is impressed by her sincerity and commitment to her beliefs.

Okay that's it for ep 6. Will write about ep 7 tomorrow and sorry y'all for this huuuuge post.

• Like 17

The wiki page addition was honestly a little much. I love Hae Soo character, but part of her being fictitious makes all the charm. 
Doing a little reading on lives of court ladies and concubines...I don't think a real hae Soo who went back in time would survive.
If it were me I know I would have done something eventually that will have me charged with treason!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Adnana I wanted to compliment you for your comment posted p. 451 good job onion head where you used many pictures crazy monkeyfrom the next episode and tried to figure out the story for the next episode. But I would like to complete your story.

Since there is a drought, a ritual for rain is requested therefore the royal family has to pray for rain. I believe, Wang So will try to be present for the rain ritual and his mother paid people  to throw things at him get out crazy rabbit in order to show him that he should leave the palace and to make him feel that he is cursed. After this painful event, he confronts his mother for keeping harassing him pink mouse. This could be one of the reasons why he thinks about the throne, nonetheless the scar is his handicap. Hae Soo hears about the new humiliation and tries to help him with his scar. milk bottle Since all the princes have to come to pray until it rains, at some point, it is Wang So's turn. Wang Yo tries to stop him, yet when the mask falls, there is no huge scar any more and Wang So's ego is not hurt any longer. He does the rain ritual and when it rains, he realises that he might have chances to become king as well. On the other hand, Wang Wook tells her about his intentions that if it rains, he will talk about Hae Soo to the king, but unfortunately it rains after Wang So's ritual so that either Wang Wook doesn't need to do the rain ritual or if he does it, it doesn't rain. 

Thanks @Adnana .

Thanks @bebebisous33 for a little more comprehensive understanding of future developments. This is what I like about the K-version when it has its own elements;  WS's background of his scarred face, soap manufacturing , beauty treatment, HS' s genius slashing of her wrist to get out of marriage and now this rain ritual. ... among others. These Korean elements give a better and fresher perspective to MLSH , instead of" borrowing " heavily ( or adapted ) from the C-version which was meticulous in the characterisations of the princes and their backgrounds that resulted in their actions. It's difficult to get top quality story arc if it keeps hopping on and off the BBJX iconic scenes.

THIS IS IT ........ The start of conflicts and pivotal turns....... I'm so rubbing my hands in glee at how the K-drama unfolds. WS vs WW for "their "  woman , the throne, the brother-princes' divided alliances. I would like to see more of HS's ability to use her modern 21st century knowledge to overcome obstacles living in the Joseon period and to choose her lover ( history is a good deciding factor girl )  I hope for interesting conspiracies, the palace intrigues, the harsh reality of conqueror and the vanquish...... just bring it on.

Of course the romance is now full blown and has all the sizzles of a scar-less handsome LJK and the counter offerings of the delectable KHN. Throw in the Prince with the penchant for eyeliner and earrings ( but he IS cool in an evil way B) ) and we are set for a chart-rising drama ( hopefully :sweatingbullets: ) I wish I was the PD for then I'd be able to offer the princess to him to marry in a heartbeat. :P

• Like 16

13 hours ago, KdramaSwimmer said:

*phew* its getting tougher day by day to keep up with this thread... it took me more than 2 hours to read last 8 pages.. still have marked couple of posts with some great analysis jusy cause my brain has no more space to let anything seriours enter and analyze it.

@USAFarmgirl I was about to start the c version tomorrow but after reading ur input I hav postponed my idea till SHR finishes and then only ill start it.

@solelylurking

chingu ya.. you are going good with ur sherlock cap on reading so much in Wook and it does help me in trying to understand what he is made up of and thinks and does. 

Both WW and WS will influence others love story with HS that too in directly proportional manner... more WW will show his affection towards HS more it will instigate WS to search for his place im HSs heart and more he will do more it will force WW to take extreme steps to have HS back.

ok now I am off to bed hoping to see scarlet dream too..

Yes @KdramaSwimmer...... just do that . I have been mulling over @USAFarmgirl's write-up and find it interesting and insightful. Love to read another perspective view of it. YOUR SAY NOW.

• Like 8

@briseis 

agreed!!! that how different HS and RX is.. 

RX already have full knowledge about the Emperor at that time and she always on guard and careful because she did't want to change anything.. RX character is more clever and always on mind games to survive the palace.. that's why she always left an impression that she kinda manipulative in palace games.. she survived using her mind but HS on other hand is really a naive and innocent.. she does't know who will became a king or how ruthless palace can be.. that why her relationship with the prince is more sincere and deep.. HS is using her heart that always wanted to make everyone better..

i wonder how she going to survive all the betrayal and torment although i must admit that HS will go to extreme level if she wanted just like when she cut her wrist.. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, meahri_1 said:

@Gabi Bros I agree. They have really good chemistry also. I have actually kept that at the back of my mind, that he could have told a white lie...cause why would you share a spoiler like that? But the further along we get in the story, it's now more unlikely it will happen.

Isn't a kdrama heroine supposed to have her first kiss with the main lead :P

ANyway.. don't mind the news.. since i am on the other ship that still has to go into the water :angry: .. whatever.. let her taste the fierce passionate romance from the word go..

The gentleman romance can happen offscreen :) ( haha.. yes the evil streak of the opposing ship.. that has yet to go into water.. :( )

• Like 10

On 9/15/2016 at 2:32 PM, sarasona said:

I find it funny when people analyze the 1000 year old era with modern ethics and equality....

There is no such thing as freedom to all. Especially to women.

But its great that drama determined to keep those things low and keep the romance high.

Actually women had inheritance and property rights during the Goryeo era that they LOST during the Joseon dynasty.  Remember the Silla empire HAD female rulers -- the next to last ruler of Silla was Queen Jinseong.  Divorce did occur and there wasn't a social stigma attached since marriages were done more for political and business reasons to benefit the clan and not for individual benefit.  Female warriors existed, female merchants existed, female writers and artisans existed.  

• Like 16

@KdramaSwimmer sweet scarlet dream then. 

@bebebisous33 from what I see both has reason why they won't share what they know. WS at that time still care a lot for mommyfromhell. Even when he was new in palace he must've known the realtionship between his mom and Yo. It will be easy to link beween the dots. For Wook as he has more knowledge and knew how the palace work, he knew it was a bad step to pissed queen mother Yoo over something that can be cosider as failure. If the CP died that day, I will asured you he will play that card to the fullest to his own advantage. But CP didn't die and he knew it was to early to taking sides. As to what makes him want to be king, I think it's both. He already told HS he hate his pathetic self that was powerless, can't do anything for the woman he loves. Wook didn't like So because WS was always there to help HS and doing more marvelous jobs than him at it. The look on his face in the last minute of ep 7 was pure jelousy. If I was Wook, I would put a spy or two to keep an eye on HS. You think he wouldn't know So looking out for Soo behind his back? It was odd to me he knew where to find her at damojin, to steal hug and gave her bracelet. Trust is a hard work for Wook, maybe because people tend to take his kindness for granted before. That's not his mentality also. He doesn't trust people and his feeling for HS makes him wants to know every little bit about her: this time around the reason is to protect her. When it comes to love, Wook is just as obssesive possesive as WS. 

As to will he join Yo or not to dethrone CP in this vers, I'm not so sure. I'm thinking he will likely to stay in the grey area, spinning his web. If at that time HS is already taken by So and So sided with CP, he will choose Yo side naturally. But I got a feeling it was So who will double cross CP as he seek more power. He needs to gain more trust from YoYoo side if he wants to become King. Tbh Yo is easier to kill without ally. 

Why do I say So will double cross CP? We can romanticized him as much as we want when it comes with HS but let's face it: that guy is ruthless and ready to sacrifice almost anyone to survive because that's what he has been taught all his life. 

• Like 16

@solelylurking 

i just want to make a point of what you said about WS... we put HS aside he still a guy that been raised harsh and have to survived alone... he still a dark character.. yes HS might heal him but bottom line if someone mess with him he still can be ruthless.. you can changed a person but you cannot changed the nature of a person... in the end even if you see in BBJX or novel 4th prince ALWAYS get what he want whether by played trick or being cruel.. the only person that he truly care and love up until the end is RX.. 

so my conclusion all the prince capable of doing worse thing to survive.. its just because they around HS we get to see the soft side of each prince.. in palace nothing is pure and innocent... just like the title Startling with Each Step.. every step taken in palace must be done carefully or you will have to face consequences.. 

• Like 13

Guys, I'm still confused with the versions.. I noticed the last scene of the episode 7, the "I hate it like crazy" part.. I noticed the BGM was quite different -- 

Spoiler

In dramafire/dramacool the song used was "For You" by EXO. Meanwhile most of the streaming sites like.. Kissasian/myasiantv/dramasoulmate (not sure with DF, but the subs' credits that it's from DF) it's the other one.. I just want to distinguish which version this sites are providing, was it the SBS or the one that airs outside sk? Thanks.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, solelylurking said:

Why do I say So will double cross CP? We can romanticized him as much as we want when it comes with HS but let's face it: that guy is ruthless and ready to sacrifice almost anyone to survive because that's what he has been taught all his life. 

@solelylurking  I had thought this also, I think it will be a misunderstanding and it will cost the CP his life but I think this is when he jumps in line for the throne and will let nothing or no one stops him.. He's going to learn how much the CP supported and trusted him and how much he was the only one that trully cared for him.. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, pwnkl said:

Guys, I'm still confused with the versions.. I noticed the last scene of the episode 7, the "I hate it like crazy" part.. I noticed the BGM was quite different -- 

Yes, sometimes background music is different between the 2 versions. Not always. But this scene is one of them. The version that is changed is the one where you see the SBS logo on the video, where you don't hear AKMU song and lately EXO song neither.  

• Like 10

I know the 4th Prince Wang So had 2 nephews and several nobles put to death but I don't recall that he had his brothers put to death.  The 2 princes that were put to death were Prince Heunghwa (son of Crown Prince Wang Mu) and Prince Gyeongchunwon (son of 2nd Prince Wang Yo).  Which brothers did he put to death?  I know the 13th Prince survived and had a child with the younger daughter of 8th Prince Wang Wook.  

So what happens to the princes in history?

• Taejo dies in 943 AD

• Crown Prince Wang Mu becomes King Hyejong (943–945 AD) and dies from disease

• 2nd Prince Wang Yo becomes King Jeongjong (945–949 AD) and I don't know if he was overthrown by his brother or simply died

• 4th Prince Wang So becomes King Gwangjong (949–975 AD) and first consolidated public support before confronting the noble families

• 8th Prince Wang Wook has 3 children who survived to adulthood – he must have been alive until at least 965 AD (his younger daughter was born in 966 AD)

• 13th Prince Baek Ah has a son with the younger daughter of 8th Prince Wang Wook.  The son was born in 992 AD (well after 4th Prince Wang So’s death) and that son becomes the 8th King of Goryeo Hyeonjong (1009–1031 AD).

Does anyone know what happened to

·         8th Prince Wang Wook lived until at least 966 AD but was he killed by the 4th Prince?

·         9th Prince Wang Won

·         10th Prince Wang Eun

·         14th Prince Wang Jung

• Like 21