Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Upcoming Drama 2024: Ask the Stars; Pachinko Season 2; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

Arrgghhh I really hope covid-19 ends quickly, I want to fly to SK to watch LMH filming!

Cannot do that during the pandemic because 14 days quarantine is needed, I can't leave work that long, sigh.... :( 

So this girl has a theory about what's going on right now. Let's see if this theory will be proven correct. :D 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I just found 2 key points of the introduction of the noval Pachinko  :
1. Noa is the one who enter pachinko world.
2. Noa is much taller than Koh Hansu.

So, I'm thinking LMH will play Noa.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. @Heretorant

I think it’s likely he’ll play Noa. And in my personal opinion, Noa is a more impactful character. 

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 3

3 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

I think it’s likely he’ll play Noa. And in my personal opinion, Noa is a more impactful character. 

Awesome!! 

Lets see what more information MYM will add... still no news from MYM!

LMH! Please take this offer and let us celebrate morrreeee :rickroll:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, leeminhosny said:

4 hours ago, syntyche said:

Ekp_pLTVkAAXNqf?format=jpg&name=small

U.S.Apple TV+ Produces Japanese colonial era Background Drama in collaboration with Lee Min-ho

Actor Lee Min-ho is positively considering participating as the main character of the local drama "Pachinko," which is produced by Apple TV Plus in the U.S. The decision was made by Apple TV Plus, which has a global distribution network, including the U.S., at a time when the groups BTS (BTS) and Black Pink dominated the U.S. Billboard charts and dominated the global pop market.

"Pachinko," in which Lee Min-ho participates, is a moving novel of the same name written by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin. "Pachinko," which was also selected as the "Book of the Year" by the New York Times in 2017, drew attention in May last year when former U.S. President Barack Obama introduced it as an "attractive book" on his SNS account.

Lee will play the role of a Korean who has survived the past years, in a drama about the hard lives and identity of Korean immigrants who have moved to Japan and the United States since Japanese colonial era. The drama, which will be produced in eight episodes, is known to cast a large number of Asian actors, and is expected to draw attention from global fans with the addition of leading hallyu star Lee Min-ho.

Lee Min-ho is a global star with 17.3 million, 16.6 million and 3 million followers on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts, respectively. Thanks to this popularity, his previous film "The King: Eternal Monarch" was introduced through Netflix and topped the weekly TV rankings in Korea, Hong Kong, and Malaysia.

The global entertainment market is paying attention to Korean stories as well as Hallyu stars. The Netflix drama "Kingdom," which drove the K-Zombie craze, was set in Joseon and it drew attention. The popularity of tvN's drama "Crash Landing on You," which depicts the situation of the only divided country in the world, also weighed on the analysis that it appealed to the global market in that it is a "Korean story."

While Korean companies, which are centered on the export industry, are struggling in the era of the global pandemic, Korean Wave content continues to grow. Officials say that while "Sell Korea" has accelerated to the point where foreigners have sold 2.5 trillion won worth of Korean stocks just in the past two months, Korean dramas and leading entertainment are attracting investment. Choi Jin-bong, a professor of journalism at Sungkonghoe University, said, "The world's expectations for Hallyu stars and Korean content have become a trend beyond mere interest, with Korean-language K-pop topping the Billboard charts."

http://www.munhwa.com/news/view.html?no=2020101901031412069001

4 hours ago, syntyche said:

2020102001001387300095291.jpg

Lee Min Ho joins hands with U.S. Apple TV Plus. with "Pachinko"

Actor Lee Min-ho will star in the drama "Pachinko," which will be produced on Apple TV Plus.

"Lee Min-ho will be the main character of the best-selling novel "Pachinko" by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin among the works to be presented by Apple TV Plus," an entertainment industry source told Sports Chosun on Wednesday.

"Pachinko" is a novel that captures the miserable lives of Zainichi (Korean residents in Japan). It was nominated for the 2019 National Book Award and selected by many media outfits as the "Book of the Year." It is a novel written by Korean-American author Lee Min-jin, who lived in Tokyo for four years from 2007 and covered Korean residents in Japan, and is considered one of the best works of the times.

Lee will make his first joint venture with Apple TV through "Pachinko." He has already gained popularity abroad due to SBS' "The Heirs," and recently completed SBS' "The King: Eternal Monarch," which was released worldwide through Netflix. He is expected to create synergy in collaboration with "Pachinko." "Pachinko" is directed by Korean-American producer Su Hue and author Lee Min-jin as a producer.

https://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=202010200100138730009529&servicedate=20201019

2 hours ago, SophieH said:

there's a post in DC gallery, some said the Production period is from October to April of next year..korea & canada ....(not sure how true !!) 

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=minho&no=694647&_rk=eYK&page=1

@Aleumdaun will be very happy if its true... 

Wait what?! AHHHHHHH I’m screaming because I’m so excited about the current news!!

1 hour ago, Nikaa94 said:

“filming location will be in Korea & Vancouver, Canada“

Are we going to get airport pics from LMH?????? OMG!!!

:highonflowers::evilelmo::gangnamstyle:

OMG they are going to film in Canada what ahh.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

@scrawford   I remember you wanted LMH to be in a critically acclaim drama... this new drama will be sooooooo critically acclaim :approves:

================

LMH will take the offer, right??:please:

I’m not even considering he will reject this offer... please.... MYM confirm it already!!!

• Like 7

maybe it’s for the best I go to sleep because MYM doesn’t wanna release any statements while I’m awake...:criesariver:

Good night for now! :byebye2:

I will come back soon!!:rickroll:

edit: I’m confused.. is it confirmed or not ? Why articles are written as if it’s confirmed?

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Hello ppl I was a silent lurker here since long but after LMH such an amazing news thought to unlurk myself.....:D

I have seen all of his work in the past but was a silent admirer of his work but since tkem I have started respecting his art a lot more and I am happy that he is doing such amazing work....wanted to celebrate with you all his latest big news of picking such an amazing drama.....I have read the book and if he picks this up it’s going to be a daebak time for him and his career....

so I just saw this (edited version) of pachinko on YT and thought to share it here....

I hope to learn a lot more about such an amazing person from you all long time minoz and support him in his future ventures and party along with you guys for his achievements....

• Like 6
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1ouise said:

I have read the book. It covers 80 years and an ensemble of characters. Sunja is the main protagonist in the book. There would have to be some adaptation to fit the entire story into 8 episodes.  The key point for me right now is that they could be filming in Vancouver!!!  Road trip time for me!

Wiki said that they are 3 books.  Anyway, I goggled and found that I have to order online - not available in my country. 
Paperback in English | 512 pages - saw this from Shoppee and Book Depository.  Wonder whether Lazada has - what a timing!   

A New York Times Top Ten Book of the Year and National Book Award finalist, Pachinko is an "extraordinary epic" of four generations of a poor Korean immigrant family as they fight to control their destiny in 20th-century Japan (San Francisco Chronicle).

1 hour ago, Heretorant said:

“You want to see a very bad man? Make an ordinary man successful beyond his imagination. Let’s see how good he is when he can do whatever he wants.”
 Min Jin Lee, 
Pachinko

Got the above quote when I was googling for the novels.  @Heretorant Wonder who she was talking about?

29 minutes ago, Prerna said:

Hello ppl I was a silent lurker here since long but after LMH such an amazing news thought to unlurk myself.....:D

I have seen all of his work in the past but was a silent admirer of his work but since tkem I have started respecting his art a lot more and I am happy that he is doing such amazing work....wanted to celebrate with you all his latest big news of picking such an amazing drama.....I have read the book and if he picks this up it’s going to be a daebak time for him and his career....

so I just saw this (edited version) of pachinko on YT and thought to share it here....

I hope to learn a lot more about such an amazing person from you all long time minoz and support him in his future ventures and party along with you guys for his achievements....

Hi @Prerna  Good to see you here.   Just saw the "trailer" -  the  reviews / comments were good!    They said it is for an university assignment.  A very well done assignment!   I thought it was from a drama / movie.  If LMH confirms (has he yet?), it will be epicly-daebak!   Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 6

Just saw the news? Is it Movie or series? They said movie? 

But there is one significiant thing I have noticed is that AppleTv+ is currently in streaming wars involving Netflix, Disney+ Apple+ and Amazon. AppleTv+ most likely signed him to only bring in new subscribers and I remember a spike in netflixs subscriber base when TKEM was airing.  AppleTv+ signing with Lee Min Ho has everything to do with the current streaming wars. They want subscribers and they know people will subscribe to get LMH content on live-watching format.

As for me personally I wanted Netflix because it is already a huge library and not him being brought in to build AppleTv+ from ground level but I guess they made an offer he couldn't turn down. 

But What I wanna know is this a Movie or a drama? Nonetheless I unlurked because of this news 

4 hours ago, gtLmh0622 said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/pachinko-tv-series-works-at-apple-1132664

August 07, 2018 10:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg

'Pachinko' TV Series in the Works at Apple (Exclusive)

Writer and showrunner Soo Hugh has also inked a two-year deal with studio Media Res as part of the pact for the series.

As Crazy Rich Asians is preparing for its historic box-office opening, Apple is taking a big swing with an international drama series featuring its own largely Asian cast.

Following a multiple-outlet bidding war, the tech giant has landed rights to develop the project based on Min Jin Lee's best-selling novel Pachinko. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the drama landed at Apple with a sizable script-to-series commitment. 

Pachinko, one of The New York Times' 10 best books of 2017 and a finalist for the National Book Award for fiction, chronicles the hopes and dreams of four generations of a Korean immigrant family. Described as epic in scope, the story begins with a forbidden romance and crescendos into a sweeping saga that journeys between Korea, Japan and America. The Apple drama, which comes with what is said to be a sizable premium show budget akin to Netflix's The Crown, will be told in three languages: Korean, Japanese and English.

Soo Hugh (who oversaw on season one of AMC's The Terror) will pen the script for Apple as well as executive produce and serve as showrunner on the likely series. Pachinko hails from Michael Ellenberg's Media Res, which is behind Apple's upcoming Reese Witherspoon-Jennifer Aniston morning show drama and was the tech giant's entry into the scripted space. Author Lee will also be credited as an executive producer on the Apple take.

Have anyone of you folks read the book? I am unfamiliar with this saga 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 3

28 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

“You want to see a very bad man? Make an ordinary man successful beyond his imagination. Let’s see how good he is when he can do whatever he wants.”
 Min Jin Lee, 
Pachinko

Got the above quote when I was googling for the novels.  @Heretorant Wonder who she was talking about?

The line above is from Hansu to Sunja. He thinks Koreans can be a lot worse to the Japanese if they join hands and go against them. As you’d guess, he can be quite a violent person. 

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that lmh would play Noa. Hansu is a lot older than lmh. I mean, can you imagine lmh playing a dad to a grown man? I can’t :lol:

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1

Lee Min Ho cast in leading role for AppleTV+'s 'Pachinko'

1603074878-20201018-lmh.jpg

Lee Min Ho has been cast in the leading role in the drama 'Pachinko'.

The movie is based on Lee Min Jin's book of the same title, and tells the story of Koreans living in Japan and facing the stereotypes and racism in the country. 'Pachinko', which will air on AppleTV+, will be an 8-episode series. As AppleTV+ is currently not available in Korea, many are wondering if this is a signal that it will soon come to Korea.

How do you think he'll do in 'Pachinko'?

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2020/10/lee-min-ho-cast-in-leading-role-for-appletv-s-pachinko

still no official announcement, only news reports. And quite few Korean articles at that 

• Like 11
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

37 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

But there is one significiant thing I have noticed is that AppleTv+ is current in streaming wars involving Netflix, Disney+ Apple+ and Amazon. AppleTv+ most likely signed him to only bring in new subscribers and I remember a spike in netflixs subscriber base when TKEM was airing.  AppleTv+ signing with Lee Min Ho to do this on AppleTv+ has nothing to do with the local market but it has everything to do with the current streaming wars going on. They want subscribers and they know people will subscribe to get LMH content on live-watching format.

As for me personally I wanted Netflix because it is already a huge library and not him being brought in to build AppleTv+ from ground level but I guess they made an offer he couldn't turn down. 

But What I wanna know is this a Movie or a drama? Nonetheless I unlurked because of this news 

Yes surely every project needs to be commercially successful, so of course Apple TV wants increase in subscribers from this project.

But I don't think that this is merely another commercial project for LMH, since I read that Apple TV is known to produce critically acclaimed projects, it just launched in Nov 2019 and already landed 18 prime time Emmy Award nominations, 5 of which were acting nominations. And the Apple TV originals had the most talented and biggest names in Hollywood.

I believe this is a new level step for LMH if this is confirmed, it's the door to Hollywood in a critically acclaimed project.

And I think actors don't sign exclusive contract with streaming platforms anyway, so after this project is done, he still can do another project with Netflix as well?

• Like 9
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 3

1 hour ago, Nikaa94 said:

someone elaborate on the story please 

8 episodes ?? Right??

is there romance in this book too?? What is the genre exactly???

@willenette  where are you?

Minooozzzzzzzzz

who is the FL??????

@Nikaa94, present now, maam.................. sorry, I've been busy. I'm sure you're very happy that LMH has an upcoming project now, eh? What I'm familiar only about this novel is - it was published in 2017. Pachinko is an epic historical novel following a Korean family who eventually immigrates to Japan. Apple TV+ has purchased the rights for a television adaptation of the novel. But, the novel takes place over the course of three books. Same as your question - I wonder which book is going to be for TV adaptation, huh? Lee Min-ho will be the main character of this best-selling novel "Pachinko" for sure.  Yes, this will be an 8-episode mini-series. As AppleTV+ is currently not available in Korea, I'm wondering if this is a signal that it will soon come to Korea. I guess somehow there's a romance in her book since many of her subjects told love stories. :blush:

4 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:

What should I do tonight??

@CarolynH  when do we start new thread for his drama??

who is the FL

OMGGGGG

i cannot believe this!!!

we Gotta celebrate!!!

*** Here in soompi, no new drama/movie threads shall be created till there is at least 1 confirmed cast.   This is to prevent/lower the possibility of misleading information as well as spamming in the threads upon a drama/movie thread's first creation.   If you are starting a new thread for a drama, please be sure you can provide sufficient information about the drama. :grin:

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 2

37 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

But there is one significiant thing I have noticed is that AppleTv+ is current in streaming wars involving Netflix, Disney+ Apple+ and Amazon. AppleTv+ most likely they signed him to only bring in new subscribers and I remember a spike in netflixs subscriber base when TKEM was airing.  AppleTv+ signing with Lee Min Ho to do this on AppleTv+ has nothing to do with the local market but it has everything to do with the current streaming wars going on. They want subscribers and they know people will subscribe to get LMH content on live-watching format.

Hi @Elnin Joery   Long time no see / hear from you.  :)   The offer must  be real good to resist.  And the script, role given to him could be even better.   Guess AppleTv+ want to make a bigger impact with good stories and great talents like LMH.   That era depicted in the trailer shown by @Prerna reminds of the movie GB.   

Aigoo, waiting for LMH / MYM to officially announce please. 

23 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

The line above is from Hansu to Sunja. He thinks Koreans can be a lot worse to the Japanese if they join hands and go against them. As you’d guess, he can be quite a violent person. 

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that lmh would play Noa. Hansu is a lot older than lmh. I mean, can you imagine lmh playing a dad to a grown man? I can’t :lol:

I know Hansu's character can be evil - but will he have more screentime, no?   I too was thinking how he's gonna play dad.   :D    AppleTV+ is not available in my country too @willenette  - hopefully next year, my local TV cable will tie with them.   Yea, @willenette thanks for bringing this up -  if he takes on Noa, then won't need to cover all the books.  

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

But there is one significiant thing I have noticed is that AppleTv+ is current in streaming wars involving Netflix, Disney+ Apple+ and Amazon. AppleTv+ most likely signed him to only bring in new subscribers and I remember a spike in netflixs subscriber base when TKEM was airing.  AppleTv+ signing with Lee Min Ho to do this on AppleTv+ has everything to do with the current streaming wars going on. They want subscribers and they know people will subscribe to get LMH content on live-watching format.

@Elnin Joery, I heard that the one offered to LMH is the mini-series with 8-EPs.  I've tried reading few pages of the book before but it took a lot of my time since the average reader, reading at a speed of 300 WPM, would take 8 hours and 14 minutes to read Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. hahaha - So, I can't tell if it's a good book. It has (490) pages. :blush:

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3