Back to School: Your Favorite High School Kdramas

partyon

29 members have voted

1. 1. Back to School: Your Favorite High School Kdramas (choose as many as you like)

• Extraordinary You (2019)
    • True Beauty (2020)
    • Boys Over Flowers (2009)
    • Twinkling Watermelon (2023)
    • Weak Hero Class 1 (2022)
    • Beautiful World (2019)
    • Our Beloved Summer (2021)
    • A Love So Beautiful (2020)
    • Goong (Princess Hours) (2006)
    • Twenty-Five Twenty-One (2022)
    • School 2017 (2017)
    • Cheer Up (2022)
    • The Heirs (2013)
    • To the Beautiful You (2012)
    • Moorim School (2016)
    • Shut Up: Flower Boy Band (2012)
    • School 2013 (2012)
    • How to Buy a Friend (2020)
    • Live On (2020)
    • None of the above / Something else
  2. 2. Back to School: Your Favorite High School Kdramas (choose as many as you like)

• Solomon's Perjury (2016)
    • Extracurricular (2021)
    • Sweet Revenge (2017)
    • Heartstrings (2011)
    • Sassy, Go Go (aka Cheer Up!) (2015)
    • Schoolgirl Detectives (aka Seonam Girls High School Detectives) (2014)
    • Orange Marmalade (2015)
    • Who Are You: School 2015 (2015)
    • Mackerel Run (2007)
    • Hi! School - Love On (2014)
    • Master of Study (2010)
    • Reply 1997 (2012)
    • Playful Kiss (2010)
    • Angry Mom (2015)
    • All of Us Are Dead (2022)
    • Revenge of Others (2022)
    • Reply 1988 (2015)
    • Dream High (2011)
    • Class of Lies (2019)
  3. 3. Back to School: Your Favorite High School Kdramas (choose as many as you like)

• Seasons of Blossoms (2022)
    • School 2021 (2021)
    • Hierarchy (2024)
    • Lovely Runner (2024)
    • At a Distance, Spring is Green (2021)
    • Night Has Come (2023)
    • Duty After School (2023) - part 1 & 2
    • Nightmare Teacher (2016)
    • Love Alarm (2019)
    • Moment at Eighteen (2019)
    • 18 Again (2020)
    • My Strange Hero (2018)
    • Drama Special Series Season 1: White Christmas (2011)
    • SKY Castle (2018)
    • The School Nurse Files (2020)
    • Pyramid Game (2024)
    • High School Return of a Gangster (2024)
    • Your choice 3
    • Your choice 4

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/2024 at 03:00 PM

19 minutes ago, willenette said:

I’ve noticed that Lee Min Ho's Jun Pyo was made to look like Jerry Yan's character too. I might be biased with this one, but this first and original version is always the best! 

I'd like to add that the face cards of the original F4 would still make up for what are lacking in production compared to the later versions of Meteor Garden. Barbie Hsu is the coolest San Cai with her nape tattoo.

26 minutes ago, willenette said:

I met some of the best friends I have today in high school.

Most of my HS close friends took up teaching. 🙂

Can't exactly say I enjoyed HS cos I was always busy. LMAO, my class section was notorious even in other schools. 😅 

Luckily I could leave HS at 15 to attend uni.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

4 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'd like to add that the face cards of the original F4 would still make up for what are lacking in production compared to the later versions of Meteor Garden. Barbie Hsu is the coolest San Cai with her nape tattoo.

Most of my HS close friends took up teaching. 🙂

Can't exactly say I enjoyed HS cos I was always busy. LMAO, my class section was notorious even in other schools. 😅 

Luckily I could leave HS at 15 to attend uni.

@MayanEcho  Yes, I do agree with you - that nape tattoo is the COOLEST. Our neck is already a very sensitive spot and being an area with thinner skin and a lot of movement means it's surely a painful tattoo session and healing. But for many, it's worth it.   :winkx:

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Thanks @partyon for tagging!! Thank U GIF by chiara 

I've been away from soompi these months since real life got super busy, I have a boyfriend now so it's for happy reasons that I can't sit in front of my computer so often :D

This poll has reminded me of so many beloved dramas that enjoyed in the past,...maybe Dream High is my favorite, but also Goong, Boys over flowers...and the more recent True beauty or All of us are dead.

Anyway, I will keep coming sometimes to see how you guys are doing, and what is happening in dramaland, hehe!! Take care!! :*

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/1/2024 at 5:34 PM, rocat said:

Isn’t the guy in the middle the ex-Philippines President Duterte?!

:spitswater:

1 hour ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

I've been away from soompi these months since real life got super busy, I have a boyfriend now so it's for happy reasons that I can't sit in front of my computer so often :D

Awww.... Congrats, chingu! :kiss_wink: I hope he is as dashing and handsome as our kdrama oppas! :glasses:

Will he hold your umbrella for you, too?

e3708b4b-d6ae-4bdc-96af-3c4f374f5bcb_flo

1 hour ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

Anyway, I will keep coming sometimes to see how you guys are doing, and what is happening in dramaland, hehe!! Take care!! 😘

Yes, come back soon!

Miss You Love GIF by Mino Games

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:20 AM, LeftCoastOppa said:

I'd like to add Pyramid Game to the list -

based on your review, i started watching Pyramid Game, and finished it. Hello, it's 2 days later :D 

the drama is just plain weird, you don't jknow how the students even had time to do homework, study, etc in between all the bullying. they bullied during every break, like it's some national sport or job. wow.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, agenth said:

based on your review, i started watching Pyramid Game, and finished it. Hello, it's 2 days later :D 

the drama is just plain weird, you don't jknow how the students even had time to do homework, study, etc in between all the bullying. they bullied during every break, like it's some national sport or job. wow.

I just loved how all the character positions went against the "High School" established norms, and up until the end remained for the most part vague.

Was the villain truly psychotic or was there parental influence? Up until the half way point I could still see it going either way.

Was the "would be" protagonist even a good guy so to speak? Up until the half way point it was up in the air, the only difference was that she didn't seem to be out for wanton cruelty. She was plenty mean in the beginning though herself.  

The near constant shifting allegiances, from almost everyone else in the room, and the computer programmer girl was the most infuriatingly unreadable of them all. 

The biggest hurdle for me was the outrageous LACK of parental oversight - sure the rich and powerful might turn a blind eye, but even in a private school it was hard to suspend disbelief that it went on to the "nth" degree as long as it did.

I'm glad the concerned teacher lived, I was actually scared they were going to kill her off :unsure:

Wish TVING would give us more like this one.

• Blob 1

On 9/4/2024 at 8:16 AM, LeftCoastOppa said:

Was the "would be" protagonist even a good guy so to speak? Up until the half way point it was up in the air, the only difference was that she didn't seem to be out for wanton cruelty. She was plenty mean in the beginning though herself.  

how do you mean, she was mean? she was a bystander, but not deliberately mean.

does anyone else have a recommendation?

• Blob 1

13 hours ago, agenth said:

how do you mean, she was mean? she was a bystander, but not deliberately mean.

Perhaps "mean" wasn't the right word.

When she first arrives and is seeking allies, she was alot harsher than you'd think.  Granted she didn't know who she could actually trust.

• Blob 1

Ideal Fav high school drama was Dream High and Heirs, I recall watching Heirs at 2 AM in the night and hooting at the West Side Story ish narration lol.

Dream High was very interesting and the dynamics between teachers-students was god, I have seen very few shows which includes multiple teachers involvements and storylines with students....Mostly school shows focus on students and bullying and love life...

• Love 2

Soompi Forums voted and it has been determined that the best High School Kdramas are....

#1 Boys Over Flowers

bbf-meme2.jpg

Who can forget the drama with a school where no teachers seemed to be present while bullying was rampant, and F4 meant something else than a key on your computer keyboard?

#2 SKY Castle

tumblr_pkjrw3cU2A1qi2jf3o5_500.gif

When everybody's favorite Doctor Cha cheating hubby with the funny faces ain't so funny anymore.

#3 The Heirs

7x97g6i2c8j81.png?width=1080&crop=smart&

Yup, this meme pretty much sums it up. :D

#3 Twinkling Watermelon

Sparkling-Watermelon-Jello-Shots-Fed-and

When you think the drama is going to be about twinkling watermelons literally, but it ends up touching your soul and showcasing one of the most epic love stories of all time.

#3 Dream High

63fb1281b77fac4002d25340e1acd0f3.jpg

The original make-over show.

Thank you to everyone who participated ! :dorakiss:

tagging: @madmad min @Rollito Deprimavera @LeftCoastOppa @agenth @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart @MayanEcho @willenette @rocat @lebeaucouple @gm4queen @lilyphenix @Lmangla @leo2020 @CarolynH @itsmeash @SilverDawn 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

On 9/2/2024 at 9:38 PM, partyon said:

Awww.... Congrats, chingu! :kiss_wink: I hope he is as dashing and handsome as our kdrama oppas! :glasses:

Will he hold your umbrella for you, too?

Thanks chingu!! 😘 He's cute and really sweet, he sometimes holds the umbrella, haha! and he always carries my things and says that I'm small so he should do it. 🥰 I thought they existed only in dramas, but there are some handsome and sweet men out there, haha!!

• Love 1

Annyeong! Thanks for the tag, @partyon! Sorry for being late to the party.

I see that my current obsession "Lovely Runner" did well. :D It rekindled my love for kdramas.:heart: I'm being obvious here. An ahjumma who is a sucker for romance. Ha! Lately, I've been feeling melancholy because there have been a lot of changes being made at work, with the corporate restructuring and all. This is also the reason for my absence here in the group. I had been caught up with work stuff. Anyway, this drama brought back high-school memories, those happy times, remembering old crushes and embarrasing moments. This is really an amazing drama. :heartxoxo:

I have seen 4 or 5 dramas from the list which I think are okay. Currently watching "Goong" to help me move on from the BWS & KHY drama. And afterwards, planning to watch "Twinkling Watermelon." Have been seeing a lot of good reviews about it.

Edited by angela0612
Wrong initials
  • Love 1