[Drama 2021] Bossam: Steal the Fate, 보쌈 - 운명을 훔치다

rocher22

Ok. Educate me. In European culture a Noblewoman would be taught to dance, play instruments, paint as well decorative stitching and sophisticated court ways as part of her training.  But Gisaengs did all of that in Joseon. Other than needle work and drawing and basic literacy what did girls like The Princess learn?

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

The princess - '' how outrageous''...I think she liked BWs  excessive  behavior...  

Ba Woo - ''Give me your foot''..   hmm..

One thing is for sure, if BW and the princess get married, they will be completely relaxed during honeymoon.   :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, RobinM said:

Ok. Educate me. In European culture a Noblewoman would be taught to dance, play instruments, paint as well decorative stitching and sophisticated court ways as part of her training.  But Gisaengs did all of that in Joseon. Other than needle work and drawing and basic literacy what did girls like The Princess learn?

They learned to read & write and be well versed in Confusion classics.  Like the European society they would learn everything but martial arts and politics, since they were reserved for men  . They would be lectured on the role of women and especially in Joseon , the Princess is expected to marry whoever the King choses, which in most cases are sons of influential clans. The trick however in order to restrain power, the husbands of Princesses were expected to be satisfied with being the King’s son in law and not be too ambitious. You could argue this is technically ‘marrying down “ since they go from a Princess to the daughter in law of a powerful household.  But this was done to avoid foreign influences and to keep a check on the power of rising clans. Like you see in the drama , once married off , they become “daughter in laws” of powerful clans and they had to do their duties well. They’d have to be a mediator , for their family and the royal family. 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

So far I really like this show.  I saw that it has 20 episodes, so I hope the show doesn't drag.

I am not sure what the BiL is planning to do when he finds the princess. Its not like she can go back. Not with his father wanting her dead and her father wanted her to be bait. 

The next episode looks like they are scamming people, which could be interesting. 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Hello, I just started to watch this series, and so far so good.  I love that the leads are mature. I know that youthful mating which is natural is central to kdrama themes and during Joseon era how long did people live? They understandably married young. But I think Jang Il Woo is really doing a wonderful acting job .. he is really displaying the stress and suffering he has been through and his confusion and conflicts.  i love the dignity and graciousness of Hwa-In. .... and that she is not beating up guys.  The entire cast is first rate.

I like that it is exploring bossam, the taking of a bride by kidnap (other societies do this too), and also hits upon the noble wife award for killing herself to follow her husband in death.... Although we had the miracle cliff jumper survival, somehow it does not feel cliche. ( really, I think they should display a warning for children "Cliff Jumping is dangerous, do not try this or you will die or be seriously injured!I)

The introduction of modern expressions like "get out of my space"  is being done well too.  Sometimes I find it off putting.

I am hopeful thiss series stays fast and fun.  

I am wondering if we will meet Ba Woo's sister and mother, and possibly his wife.. they do not include them on the character list on asianwiki.  

• Like 6
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I love that the leads are mature. I know that youthful mating which is natural is central to kdrama themes and during Joseon era how long did people live? They understandably married young. But I think Jang Il Woo is really doing a wonderful acting job .. he is really displaying the stress and suffering he has been through and his confusion and conflicts.  i love the dignity and graciousness of Hwa-In. .... and that she is not beating up guys.  The entire cast is first rate.

like you said part of saeguks reality is that most of theses characters had short lifespan and so it makes sense that the characters are played by young actors. so the drama feels fresh to me as neither the actors or our characters are young. they are mature and it reflects in the conversation they have. when princess asks what reason is there for her to live, ba woo answers that there is no reason, people just live -- that is the kind of conversation that one has after the dreams and ambitions of youth have faded.

even in modern times, once we hit our 30s, we have settled into a kind of pattern "where we just live". for most of us, there are no grand ambitions or goals to reach and every day has settled into a kind of routine. but the princess is right in that a reason gives us momentum, hope and courage to face tomorrow and she finds that in the everyday life with ba woo and cha dol. something as simple as taking off her mourning clothes for a practical garment though in patches takes on significance and shows off her inner resolve to just live, find a way to live. 

bossam24.png 

6 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

I really loved episode 4, and the scenes with the three of them were great.

yea, the domesticity was great to see and them forming a unit was sweet. what I enjoyed is that she finds her strength in providing for them as a family and finding her footing as a person. rather than fall into despair at the loss of status or her past comfort, she gets in there and decides to live life as a middle class wife and mother much to the surprise of both ba woo and cha dol. rather than be a burden, she decides to live and also be helpful. she is learning about the world from a different perspective and it surprises her to see how far the common folk live away from the noble class. when she hears of the reaction of the villagers to the nobleman being robbed, she realizes what a different life she has left. 

another reason the drama feels fresh to me is that instead of court politics or the clashes of the nobles, the drama deals with the everyday common folk whose lives are being impacted by stuff happening way far away somewhere in the palace. rather than ba woo or the princess having some lofty goals like unifying the kingdom or having some grand revenge for their clan or any of those usual saeguk conflicts, their problem is figuring out how to feed themselves and live.

princess is learning that stealing might be wrong in principle but if their child is hungry, then does it seem acceptable? if there is no avenue for cha dol to advance, then what exactly should they be teaching their child? it was interesting and fun to see ba woo and princess duking out those conversations. princess seems to have accepted her lot and place whereas it is ba woo who struggles to accommodate the princess. she has taken to cha dol and is willing to mother him. whereas for  ba woo, it feels strange to have a co-parent and someone who is his helper and teammate. 

rather than the princess, it is ba woo who really struggles with the change. he is not used to having someone share his space and having her accept her lot and even thrive is a bit confusing for him. he is the one confused while she sleeps at ease in new setting. while she should be uncomfortable in such humble abode, he is the one who is a bit uncertain. ba woo already cares about the princess little by little but refuses to admit and deflects by using cha dol. it will be interesting to see him share his true feelings about how he feels rather than just snarling at her. 

it was great to see that after a few days/weeks/months?, they have settled into a pattern where they are all comfortable with each other. they have found their own little happiness in the joy of everyday life. something as simple as going to the market together makes them all happy. 

bossam28.png 

13 hours ago, youactlikeicare said:

I am not sure what the BiL is planning to do when he finds the princess. Its not like she can go back. Not with his father wanting her dead and her father wanted her to be bait. 

he seems to be focused on rescuing her from his father's clutches but has no real game plan. his aunt told him clearly that she will support him getting her to safety but then he has to go back to his place. so it sounds like dumping her somewhere like a temple or someplace secluded where she lives out her life quietly. liked the ending of ep 4 -- both men seem so shocked at the princess protecting ba woo but in some sense, she isn't just protecting him and cha dol, she is protecting the way of life she has now made for herself. 

bossam24-25-22.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4
  • Blob 1

I think we will see his Mother or sister or both  later as he still has to support them and it would be a natural for the OTP progression for her to meet his family. That could go both ways... they could be bitter and resentful of her because of her Royal blood, Make BW Choose, ETC or they could be kind and welcoming and see her true worth in contrast to her salty MIL and Evil FIL and scheming BILs

But I can’t see where a cheating wife/Love rival? fits in to this plot. But it’s only episode 4 of 20 so what do I know? 

Also predict In upcoming episodes: The In laws will get hold of Cha Dol and hold him hostage in exchange for the Princess. This is per the trailer with them on boat with her hands tied and him crying .

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

am so glad the subbers also translated part of the lyrics for OST (part 2  love song - Jung In.) that showed up in the cliff saving scene. 

there are still words
that have been left unsaid
after much time has passed
they scatter like flower petals
without a sound, sorrowfully
the new spring wind weeps
although the seasons pass without fail
you become one more step away
the faint memory that blew away with the wind
the dream that I woke from
the petal of new spring brought by the clouds
blooms in my heart

gah, don't those lyrics just give you the feels? so poetic and feel so old fashioned in a way. rather apt for this drama.... 

@RobinM ~ am guessing ba woo's ex-wife left him for someone more politically favourable. since this is joseon times, am not expecting some sort of unification or angst from that quarter. it is basically a chapter closed. but yea, it will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of his family if they do appear in the picture.

there will be real angst if the in-laws get a hold of cha dol as she is already attached to him... 

the king is also troubled in that he wants to set reforms that help the common folk but helmed in traders and noblemen backed by her father-in-law. will the princess experience of living as commoner help the king in formulating reforms that work? 

• Like 5
  • Blob 2

No way if the In laws get hold of the child She will try to save herself first and even she did BW will look out for his child first and foremost as a loving father.  That’s a given.  But I just bet that precocious rascal will find a way to escape on his own or The duo will get his “Mom” back ASAP 

After all This is angsty but not very dark or cruel or tragic as Sageuks go. I’ve have seen some bleak, hopeless and  crazy cruel ones. 

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

14 minutes ago, RobinM said:

After all This is angsty but not very dark or cruel or tragic as Sageuks go. I’ve have seen some bleak, hopeless and  crazy cruel ones. 

yea it hits the right notes and balance -- not too dark or cruel or tragic. too much angst and I would give up! hahahhaa.... 

am keeping my fingers crossed we have a nice happy ending for our little family. however, won't be surprised if the brother-in-law will get killed off trying to protect the princess. did anyone else wonder if there was a birth secret for the brother-in-law? the father-in-law casually told his sister that he can afford to lose a son whereas she can't. it almost sounded like brother-in-law was actually the aunt's son... 

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Am currently in the middle of Ep 3 right after Court Lady Kim emotionally abused the Princess so that she didn’t even dare speak to her father the king when he was so close. When a woman has been a ghost bride for so long, I guess, this is her weak mentality. As for CL Kim, after hearing she has been devoted to the king since his CP days, and is still a court lady, not a consort, I guess she is jealous of the Royal ladies and likes to stick it to them when she can.

• Like 8
  • Blob 2

We know they are both alive and whole and seemingly prosperous as shown in last day of filming photos released. They may be getting the whole relationship triangle and arc settled before the show tackles his family history/situation and her in laws getting theirs in second half of drama 

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

34 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

the king is also troubled in that he wants to set reforms that help the common folk but helmed in traders and noblemen backed by her father-in-law. will the princess experience of living as commoner help the king in formulating reforms that work? 

Hang on, did I miss something in the 4th episode? I thought the king wants to catch Lee Yi Cheom red-handed with the murder of the princess. He's setting her up as bait, but not in a good K-drama protagonist kind of way where the princess gets saved last minute, but in a cold-blooded kind of way. While he does care for her, he also seems to see her as disposable in the same way that Lee Yi Cheom sees his youngest son as disposable. In these mens' eyes, the princess is a pawn, a means to an end. Only Ba Wu, Cha Dol, Dae Yeop and a handful of minor characters see her as a person.

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yea, the domesticity was great to see and them forming a unit was sweet. what I enjoyed is that she finds her strength in providing for them as a family and finding her footing as a person...

another reason the drama feels fresh to me is that instead of court politics or the clashes of the nobles, the drama deals with the everyday common folk whose lives are being impacted by stuff happening way far away somewhere in the palace. rather than ba woo or the princess having some lofty goals like unifying the kingdom or having some grand revenge for their clan or any of those usual saeguk conflicts, their problem is figuring out how to feed themselves and live. ..

it was great to see that after a few days/weeks/months?, they have settled into a pattern where they are all comfortable with each other. they have found their own little happiness in the joy of everyday life. something as simple as going to the market together makes them all happy. 

Ah, the luxury of a 20-episode drama. Happy to watch this kind of 'padding' any day. Indeed, so nice to see the day-to-day lives of the common folk. I don't think I've ever seen a saguek that features thatching or other scenes of domesticity before. Maybe Saimdang, albeit briefly.

It was really sweet seeing the Princess get dressed up for market day and both the Princess and Cha Dol nagging Ba Wu about going with him. Did you all notice how she's getting a lot more colour in her clothes now? She went from white, to neutrals to some pinks and greens and lilacs there. Woot!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

When we see peasants in sageuks it’s normally  as a nameless mass in the market scenes as the Hero or Heroine passing or running through or hiding. Or they are being attacked or other wise oppressed or sick or starving. 

Though I know it’s only temporary until the heavy plot stuff starts Seeing a normal(ish) family life of chores, making do and relaxing at the end of the day is refreshing and needs to catch on!  

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

5 minutes ago, morganian said:

Hang on, did I miss something in the 4th episode? I thought the king wants to catch Lee Yi Cheom red-handed with the murder of the princess. He's setting her up as bait, but not in a good K-drama protagonist kind of way where the princess gets saved last minute, but in a cold-blooded kind of way. While he does care for her, he also seems to see her as disposable in the same way that Lee Yi Cheom sees his youngest son as disposable. In these mens' eyes, the princess is a pawn, a means to an end. Only Ba Wu, Cha Dol, Dae Yeop and a handful of minor characters see her as a person.

no you didn't miss anything; the king is interesting character -- he seems to care for her but also sees as her bait to get rid of lee yi cheom who drives him nuts. the two men are in a power struggle for sure and both despise each other on some level. so why did he give his daughter as ghost bride? to consolidate his power? he wants to push reforms to help the common folk but is also intent on building palaces to showcase his power. so an interesting duality. 

there have been several conversations where the common folks keep saying the ruling/noble class have no idea how the other half live. so I wondered if a meeting between the king and the princess (which will happen at some point in later episodes) will change how these reforms are passed or something... just an idea as these reforms and the state of the common folk keep coming up now in little pieces here and there... maybe a more pragmatic way that helps everyone? 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

I the King is  fond her but it’s not the adoring protective paternal love BW has for Cha Dol much less what a modern father Would have. A Joseon King was a distant figure to his children at best, esp. to a daughter. Children were raised by Court ladies with the Queen as official mother getting updates on them. I don’t know if Consorts like Her mother had a thing to do with the children at all. 

It’s realistic King Gwanghae is more concerned about scheming nobles and factions than saving one daughter. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

I am now in the middle of Ep 4 and would love the traditional ballad OST that is playing while Ba Wu looks for work or gambling. Anyone? 

Okay, that was weird that the king was willing to kill her to get his reforms. But I’m read the Asian parents subreddit, and it does seem to be a universal attitude amongst asian parents from all asian countries that their kids are born for their disposal. :evillaugh:

2 hours ago, tulip06 said:

Edited by tulip06
Post reaction
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 2