[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] The Blue Whisper 与君初相识 Season 1 & 2

sugarplum892

@tantaran808 Not pearl, but conch shell which Yun He gave him previously to listen to sound of the waves, when he missed home. I would also like to think that she withheld her strength when she stabbed him. It was planned to push him off that cliff because she knew he would survive when he fell into the river below.

I must say that I am impressed with the acting of that servant (Zhang) of Shun De Xian Ji. He is such a hateful character, yet looks so funny twirling his moustache when in glee.

• Like 1

@ipohtown Actually  Chang Yi has 3 Pearls:

1) He gave to Yun He as a Declaration of his Love

2) In his Tail.  Which is why when he chopped off his Tail, he got another Pearl for Lin Hao Qing

3) Finally Zhang Xian Shi (Shunde's servant) threw the Golden Arrow at his Heart to destroy his Elixir Pearl.  Luckily he was protected by his Father's scepter.

Which is why under the Right Conditions,  Chang Yi should be able to get back his Tail again. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I finally managed to watch it, but only 6 episodes.

Would love to talk about some things, but first - people, if there is someone here who hasn't started the drama yet -absolitely DO NOT WATCH the ending theme clip:rolleyes:. I did, and in result now got too much spoiler info:D .

Overall the impression so far is - worth watching. However in total - no WOW effect for me so far.

I was very confused with the opening song just ending abruptly while the music climbs to it's climax. Later, thanks to a wonderful forum member who took the time to post music clips here, I've learned that song actually continues for another verse and ends very smoothly and beautifully. I think they could have opted for better editing here.

Thw quality of the production itself is good. I agree the CGI is nothing new, but they managed for the "created world" to look very real and obviously put a lot of money and afford into it. All that mountains, fields, flowers and trees look great combined with the gently incorporated real set objects (no "Avatar" effect).

Hair, make-up and costumes are ok. IMO, Dilraba's "boyish" styling in the first episode was absolutely unnecessary, I really do not understand a purpose of that (may be I've missed smth there...). The sharp-formed headpieces for the "main" valley girls are fine and make the heriones look like very bad-a..s and cool female warriors (compared for example with Luo Luo) B) . The only thing I could complain so far is that the styling clearly makes the bad ones look too obviously "bad" - that Shunde Fairy styling cryies out "I'm evil :w00t:" sooo loud:D. Wish it wouln't be so exaggerated.

Dark costumes look very smooth (all those tall boys in black, ohhhh :wub:), but in strong contrast with the scenery with those bright flowers, trees and scenery literally tell you that smth is not right here - watch out ;).

Since I'm just 6 eps into the drama, I won't comment a lot re acting quality/pairing/casting here.

Want to note, that for me the leads' story itself runs a bit too fast in terms of relationship development. Also -at least up to the ep 6 I've watched - the production gave us no info re Ji Yun He's family -I suppose now it's done for a reason, just hope they won't make the waiting too long.

Already feel very sorry for Lin Hao Qing. His heart obviosly and  desperately cries for the one thing he now won't ever get :tears:. Lin Cang Lan IMO is not a bad guy here, they are trying to convince us he is, but the way he looked at that Shunde Fairy said it all to me. 

The second couple (are they the second couple?) are fun to watch, love that the production opted to promote that it's ok and no shame for a boy to do stuff traditionally reserved for girls. Hope their story continues and they could have a happy ending. I remember that cat guy Li Shu being in  Forever and Ever, loved his rather exotic and not so standart look a lot. 

In addition, I have a question - may be someone knows if there were any rumors about other candidates to play Chang Yi apart from Allen? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:30 PM, leo2020 said:

Ok, I finally managed to watch it, but only 6 episodes.

Overall the impression so far is - worth watching. However in total - no WOW effect for me so far.(1)

Thw quality of the production itself is good. I agree the CGI is nothing new,(2) but they managed for the "created world" to look very real and obviously put a lot of money and afford into it. All that mountains, fields, flowers and trees look great combined with the gently incorporated real set objects (no "Avatar" effect).

Since I'm just 6 eps into the drama, I won't comment a lot re acting quality/pairing/casting here.

Want to note, that for me the leads' story itself runs a bit too fast in terms of relationship development. Also -at least up to the ep 6 I've watched - the production gave us no info re Ji Yun He's family -I suppose now it's done for a reason, just hope they won't make the waiting too long.

Already feel very sorry for Lin Hao Qing.(4) His heart obviosly and  desperately cries for the one thing he now won't ever get :tears:. Lin Cang Lan IMO is not a bad guy here,(3) they are trying to convince us he is, but the way he looked at that Shunde Fairy said it all to me. 

In addition, I have a question - may be someone knows if there were any rumors about other candidates to play Chang Yi apart from Allen? 

Hi @leo2020!  It is good to see you around. 

(1) I agree.  There is No "Wow" Factor in "The Blue Whisper".   I'm only watching for the Story, the Fantasy.  In fact,  I found it "Draggy" most of the time, with some ocassional "Sudden Burst" in between. 

Spoiler

So far, the Biggest "Burst" for me is the Fight at the "Cliff" in Ep 14, because of the CGI.  Not because of the acting. I'll contribute this "Inertia" to the Female Lead.  

Everybody is doing well: Allen, the senior actors and actresses and the younger ones (Cang Lan, Xian Shi, Xue San Yue, Luo Luo, Shunde and her Servant, etc.....)  It is Fun to watch them.  But when it comes to the FL, she is just going through the motion. I cannot feel anything. Her Face cannot emote any emotions.  She tries very hard.   But to no avail. If you don't have it, you don't have it. (Pls don't attack or hate me for saying this, ah.:lol:  I'm just sharing my honest opinions.  Others may differ).  If we have a Capable FL with a very wide emotional range, this Drama would have Exploded already. 

Spoiler

Even when she lied to Chang Yi and pushed him off the Cliff, I felt nothing.  But Allen's tears and emotional response touched me.  

(2) The CGI's: I find it Mediocre. Nothing new or astounding.

(3) Lin Cang Lan: IMO, he is both good and bad.  Good in the sense that he is trying to find a Solution to the Frost Poison.  Bad because he is using others very Ruthlessly.  It does not matter if they suffer or die.  He is doing this more for his own family - his son. Selfish reasons.

(4) Lin Hao Qing: Is more of a Softie.  Not as tough as his Dad. 

I feel that if they have allotted some Screen Time for Chang Yi's Merfolk Clans, it would have added Value to this Drama: the UnderSea World is always enchanting.  Most suitable for a Fantasy Drama.  With a good CGI and some Imaginations, it will only do good to this drama.

Spoiler

At least show us how Chang Yi's father - the Shark King fought against Shunde's men.  I guess they don't have enough Budget for that.

Anyway, I'm surprised to find out that Shunde is actually the Actress who played Min Min Ge Ge in "Scarlet Hearts" (Bu Bu Jing Xin).  She is good here. Very imposing.

• Like 3

Hi @hush puppy:)! I'm already at ep9, and it was hard to watch. All that constant suffering of everyone, physical and mental. Hope in won't be a "Cheng Yi" style drama where the lead (s) is (are) coughing blood 24/7:crazymad:.

18 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Tian Shi

Seems like I'm not that far into the drama and he/she isn't there yet...

18 hours ago, hush puppy said:

if they have allotted some Screen Time for Chang Yi's Merfolk Clans

I think maybe it's coming later. My understanding is the 1 season is dedicated to the valley matters.

BTW, I wonder, why the show is called Blue Whisper? :).  

8 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Hi @hush puppy:)! I'm already at ep9, and it was hard to watch. All that constant suffering of everyone, physical and mental. Hope in won't be a "Cheng Yi" style drama where the lead (s) is (are) coughing blood 24/7.

Seems like I'm not that far into the drama and he/she isn't there yet...

I think maybe it's coming later. My understanding is the 1 season is dedicated to the valley matters.

BTW, I wonder, why the show is called Blue Whisper? :).  

@leo2020 Actually this is a very lovely Fantasy Story with a lot of room to play around - Creatively.  But unfortunately the Production Team has not done a good job.  I wonder if it is because of their Budget.  And - sorry for repeating. They got the wrong FL.

Otherwise it could be very Heart-Rending and Emotional.  Can you believe it?  So far, I've Not shed a tear.  

As for the Title:  "The Blue Whisper", I believe "Blue" refers to the Sea.  "Whisper" - Love Talk ??

Anyway the English Titles for  most Chinese Dramas usually have little relevance to the Plot.  So I don't pay much attention to them.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, hush puppy said:

As for the Title:  "The Blue Whisper", I believe "Blue" refers to the Sea.  "Whisper" - Love Talk ??

Thanks a lot, I just thought that might be more to the story then some literal translation.Your vision of the matter may be the most accurate one). 

Anyway the English Titles for  most Chinese Dramas usually have little relevance to the Plot.  So I don't pay much attention to them.

Yep, I've already learned that in Cdramaland the Chinese and English titles sometimes are totally different:)))).

• LOL 1

Can you believe it?  So far, I've Not shed a tear

I believe you cause it's the same for me :sweat_smile:. I thought I was getting jaded after watching so many Cdramas. But I don't agree with you about casting Dilreba wrongly. In fact, I think her acting improved. She has more micro expressions in this drama and I enjoy her performance in this drama more than, e.g. in the long ballad. The main leads also look well together. Allan also has the right (baby) face to play the innocent merman. 

Personally, I believe the lack of emotional connection is because the storyline has been pretty predictable so far. The cliff scene supposed to be one of the climax scenes but I already saw it coming way before it and the trope of deliberately saying hurtful stuff to the one you love to make him leave has been used too many times in Cdramas. But I'm still enjoying the drama and I'm looking forward to part 2 when Chang Yi gets darker. 

• Like 4

EVENT: My Corner of Soompi

Spring edition of My Corner of Soompi is here! Do let us know what you've been up to and what you're looking forward to as we're heading towards summer.

Bring yourself and some snacks to the thread, as we sip on our tea together. :kiss_wink:

tea party GIF by VH1

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @agenth @Sleepy Owl @confusedheart

On 3/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, Polly said:

I believe you cause it's the same for me :sweat_smile:. I thought I was getting jaded after watching so many Cdramas. But I don't agree with you about casting Dilreba wrongly. In fact, I think her acting improved. She has more micro expressions in this drama and I enjoy her performance in this drama more than, e.g. in the long ballad. The main leads also look well together. Allan also has the right (baby) face to play the innocent merman. 

Personally, I believe the lack of emotional connection is because the storyline has been pretty predictable so far. The cliff scene supposed to be one of the climax scenes but I already saw it coming way before it and the trope of deliberately saying hurtful stuff to the one you love to make him leave has been used too many times in Cdramas. But I'm still enjoying the drama and I'm looking forward to part 2 when Chang Yi gets darker. 

@Polly  You must be the FL's Fan.  I'm glad you did not "Fry" me:lol:  Which is why I said: "Others may differ".  I understand.  Different people look for different things.

But I don't enjoy her performance at all.  In "Ten Miles Peach Blossoms" I always "Skip" her scenes.  I tried to watch "The Long Ballad" but gave up after Ep 2 - altho I enjoyed the performance of the 2nd M and FL there.

So I try to avoid her dramas.  Here I was attracted by the Theme - Mermen and the Sea.

Drama and Movie Plots have been recycled over the years.  I mean, how many Original Plots can a Novelist or Scriptwriter create right?  So "Predictability" is always there.  But a Good Actor or Actress can make a great difference.

I enjoyed the performance of the Male Lead and most of the Supporting Casts here.

• Like 2

@hush puppyNo, I'm not a Dilreba fan. Couldn't stand the pillow book and you're my glory, which was super popular. Just sharing my thoughts based on her performance in this show. We can agree to disagree :smile:

What are your thoughts about Hu YiXuan the actress that plays Luo Luo? I think she is naturally cute. I liked her in Sleepless Princess. And enjoying her presence in this show too. Her smile just brightens every room. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Dear @Polly  Re: Hu Yi Xuan:  I didn't like her in "Sleepless Princess".  Needless to say, I quit that drama :w00t:.   Found her boring.  Later I saw her in a Contemporary Drama.  Forgot about the title.  But I remember there was a Cute Little Boy-Star.   I didn't like her there as well.

But she was Great here.  I agree with you here - she is naturally cute.  I enjoyed her scenes.

• LOL 1

@hush puppy you must mean Unforgettable Love. It has two things I like, the ML (Miles Wei) and the child actor, Lennon Sun Si Cheng. What an irresistable child, I swear it's the curls and the ruddy cheeks. As for the FL, she's just cute, no comment about her level of acting, it's adequate for what she has to do.

Spoiler

jPVq8_3f.jpg

I shall not comment on the Blue Whisper yet. I don't want to suffer the agony of waiting for Season 2... but either way, I think the drama won't do too badly in China. Both leads have their own following, particularly the horde of army fans who have been known to notoriously defend/boost her reputation.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

@hush puppy you must mean Unforgettable Love. It has two things I like, the ML (Miles Wei) and the child actor, Lennon Sun Si Cheng. What an irresistable child, I swear it's the curls and the ruddy cheeks. As for the FL, she's just cute, no comment about her level of acting, it's adequate for what she has to do.

Reveal hidden contents

jPVq8_3f.jpg

I shall not comment on the Blue Whisper yet. I don't want to suffer the agony of waiting for Season 2... but either way, I think the drama won't do too badly in China. Both leads have their own following, particularly the horde of army fans who have been known to notoriously defend/boost her reputation.

@SC2019 Yes.  That's right - "Unforgettable Love" where she is a Child Psychologist.  That little child Actor is so, so Cute.  And usually once these cute Child Artistes grow up, they will not be the same anymore.:)  Talking of "Child Artistes", I wonder how "Ali" from TMOPB is now?  Any recent pix of him?

• Love 1