[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] The Blue Whisper 与君初相识 Season 1 & 2

sugarplum892

I watched the first 4 episodes

enjoyable but not super blockbuster good

temporarily rate it in the region of 7.0 to 7.5 out of 10

the golden magic spells CGI looks similar to Once Upon A Spirit Mountain from 2 or 3 years ago

back then somebody posted the CGI tutorial on youtube and it wasn't really cost prohibitive to amateurs

the studio sets are alright , doesn't look too fake

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] The Blue Whisper 与君初相识

I would like to describe my impressions of Ren Jia Lun's performance in "The Blue Whisper"  -  so far.  I'm not his Fan.  But I'll give praise where it is due.

Spoiler

The character of Chang Yi is Very Cute.  It is very rare to see a "cute" male protagonist.  He gives me the impression of  "An Ignorant, Pure  & Naive Teenager".  In the first 2 episodes, he could not speak.  So it is very important for him to "Act" with his "Eyes".  And he did it !  Through his Eyes, we can see his Anger, Suspicions, Frustrations, Sadness, Confusion, Tenderness and Love. 

His Speech is stumbling and the acting is "Cute" when :

- he forces himself to Cry. So that he can use his "Pearls" to repay Yun He for taking care of him

- he plucked one of his precious "Scale" to Detox Yun He. It's very painful to pluck one's scale.

- he was overwhelmed when Yun He suddenly kisses him

- he innocently imitates Yun He's way of an Apology i.e. helping the other person to bathe or clean themselves

• Like 3

Where is everybody? I thought everyone is waiting impatiently for "The Blue Whisper" to premiere?

I've just watched Ep 7.  So, for those who have not read the Novel (Like Me), let me summarise all that I've understood so far.  Bcos without a basic understanding, it is very confusing.  And when it is confusing, you cannot fully enjoy this drama :

Spoiler

This drama is not a pure Xianxia.  It is a kind of an Overhead Dynasty type. There are 3 Major Realms : Human Beings, Spirits and Spirit Masters.  And the battle among them forms the Essence of this Story.

Lin Cang Lan (Guzhu) is using Yun He as a "guinea pig".  He used the Poison of the Frost to control Yun He and Xue San Yue.  Once they are no longer useful to him, he'll kill and condemn them to a "Cold Place" in the valley. 

Lin Hao Qing (Guzhu's son) and Yun He are childhood sweethearts. They grew up together.  But bcos of Guzhu, they became competitors.

Ji Yun He: Once she knew Guzhu's aim, she has been trying to find a way to escape from this "Valley of a Thousand Flowers".  Which is why she had to make use of Chang Yi

Xian Ji (Shunde Fairy): brought the captured Chang Yi and wants the Imperial master to:

1) Tame him to speak

2) Cut off his Tail so that he does not return to the Sea.

3) Get his Elixir Pearl

LHQ was given the task. But JYH managed to get in too.  And they both used different methods to tame Chang Yi.

Chang Yi is a Simple, Naive baby. So naturally Yun He's "soft method" capture his trust.  But he values Love & Righteousness. And will not tolerate "Lies & Deceptions".  So there will definitely be problems in his relationship with Ji Yun He later on.

Just when Yun He was about to show his achievements that Chang Yi could speak, Xue San Yue appeared. Sanyue is a very principled person. She watched both JYH & LHQ compete. But she did not favour either one.

Yun He discovered Xue San Yue's secret - her love affair with Li Shu. In order to defeat LHQ, YH has to form an alliance with XSY. To do so, YH lied to XSY that Chang Yi & herself are lovers too. Thus she will never divulge XSY's secret.

XSY is not easy to convince.  So Yun He uses "The Kiss Of A Lifetime" on Chang Yi.  Which inevitably and subconsciously triggered YH's feeling for Chang Yi as well.

So Eps 1-7 shows the development of Yun He vs Chang Yi's relationship - from Strangers to Friends to Lovers.

Ep 7:

In the Pandemonium which involves XSY, her lover Lishu and Qingji Lian Niao (Aoji), Yun He had a chance to escape.  But she ran back to get Chang Yu, as per her promise.

Lishu is XSY's lover.  Qingji Lian Niao (Aoji) once saves Lishu's life. So Lishu wants to get into the Valley of a Thousand Flowers to save Aoji.  Like Yun He, Lishu had initially approach XSY with Deception. But fell in love with her in the process. He eventually died to save her.

Aoji was sealed in the valley for thousand of years. Li Shu wants to help her escape.  In the pandemonium, Lishu sacrificed his Blood to help Aoji breaks through the formations.  Lishu asked Aoji to bring XSY along with her.

Qing Ji Lian Niao (Aoji) was originally a radiant giant spirit. But she was suppressed for thousand of years because of an Inter-Clan Love with the spiritual master Ning Ruo Chu. Spirits are not allowed to fall in love with the Immortal Masters. (Complicated Plot isn't it?  My Head also spins at times :tears:)

QingJi Lian Niao is an ancient Divine Bird. Her mana is unfathomable. In order to subdue her, 10 masters with advanced techniques joined forces to form a "Ten Square Formation" to seal her.  Among the 10 Masters, one was her Lover, Ning Ruo Chu.  It was NRC who personally seal her off.

Yun He had asked CY to wait for her.  So she ran back to get him.  And while escaping, they got sucked into the "Ten Squares Formation (Matrix)" too.  They could still escape via "The Eye" of the Matrix.  But QingJi Lian Niao stands in their way.  QJLN has become a Demon possessed by her "Resentment" against her former lover.

Qing Ji Lian Niao escaped thro the "Ten Squares Formation".  But only her body came out. Because with the death of her lover Ning Ruochu and Li Shu, her Spirit had long since died.

So she remained trapped and wandering in the "Ten Squares Formation".

How can they overcomes QingJi Lian Niao?  We'll have to wait for Ep 8

P/S: I strongly believe Xian Shi was the one who killed  Ning Ruo Chu.  Because only the cultivation levels of Ning Ruo Chu and the Blue Feathered Bird  are powerful enough to defeat Xian Shi.  Xian Shi feels threatened.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Where is everybody? I thought everyone is waiting impatiently for "The Blue Whisper" to premiere?

I've just watched Ep 7.  So, for those who have not read the Novel (Like Me), let me summarise all that I've understood so far.  Bcos without a basic understanding, it is very confusing.  And when it is confusing, you cannot fully enjoy this drama :

Reveal hidden contents

This drama is not a pure Xianxia.  It is a kind of an Overhead Dynasty type. There are 3 Major Races: Human Beings, Spirits and Spirit Masters.  And the battle among them forms the Essence of this Story.

Lin Cang Lan (Guzhu) is using Yun He as a "guinea pig".  He used the Poison of the Frost to control Yun He and Xue San Yue.  Once they are no longer useful to him, he'll kill and condemn them to a "Cold Place" in the valley. 

Lin Hao Qing (Guzhu's son) and Yun He are childhood sweethearts. They grew up together.  But bcos of Guzhu, they became competitors.

Ji Yun He: Once she knew Guzhu's aim, she has been trying to find a way to escape from this "Valley of a Thousand Flowers".  Which is why she had to use Chang Yi

Xian Ji: brought the captured Chang Yi and wants the Imperial master to tame him to speak and stay on with his Tail docked. LHQ was given the task. But JYH managed to get in too.  And they both used different methods to tame Chang Yi.

Chang Yi is a Simple, Naive baby. So naturally Yun He's "soft method" capture his trust.  But he values Love & Righteousness. And will not tolerate "Lies & Deceptions".  So there will definitely be problems in his relationship with Ji Yun He later on.

Just when Yun He was about to show his achievements that Chang Yi could speak, Xue San Yue appeared. Sanyue is a very principled person. She watched both JYH & LHQ compete. But she did not favour either one.

Yun He has discovered XSY's secret - her love affair. In order to defeat LHQ, YH has to form an alliance with XSY. To do so, YH lied that Chang Yi & herself are lovers too. Thus will not divulge XSY's secret.

XSY is not easy to convince.  So Yun He uses "The Kiss Of A Lifetime" on Chang Yi.  Which inevitably subconsciously triggered YH's feeling for Chang Yi as well.

So Eps 1-7 shows the development of Yun He vs Chang Yi's relationship - from Strangers to Friends to Lovers.

Ep 7:

In the Pandemonium which involves XSY, her lover Lishu and Qingji Lian Niao, Yun He had a chance to escape.  But she ran back to get Chang Yu, as per her promise.

Lishu is XSY's lover.  But also a disciple of Qingji Lian Niao. So like Yun He, Lishu had initially approach XSY with Deception. But fell in love with her in the process. He eventually died to save her.

QJLN was sealed in the valley for thousand of years. Li Shu wants to help her escape.  In the pandemonium, Lishu sacrificed his Blood to help QJLN break through the formations.  Lishu hoped QJLN could bring XSY along with her.

Qing Ji Lian Niao was originally a radiant giant spirit. But she was suppressed for thousand of years because of an Inter-Racial Love with the spriritual master Ning Ruo Chu.  (Complicated Plot isn't it?  My Head also spins at times :tears:)

QingJi Lian Niao is an ancient Divine Bird. Her mana is unfathomable. In order to subdue her, 10 masters with advanced techniques joined forces to form a "Ten Square Formation" to seal her.  Among the 10 Masters, one was her Lover, Ning Ruo Chu.  It was NRC who personally seal her off.

Yun He had asked CY to wait for her.  So she ran back to get him.  And while escaping, they got sucked into the "Ten Squares Formation (Matrix)" too.  They could still escape via "The Eye" of the Matrix.  But QingJi Lian Niao stands in their way.  QJLN has become a Demon possessed by her "Resentment" against her former lover.

Qing Ji Lian Niao escaped thro the "Ten Squares Formation".  But only her body came out. Because the death of her lover Ning Ruochu and Li Shu, her Spirit had long since died.

So she remained trapped and wandering in the "Ten Squares Formation".

How can they overcomes QingJi Lian Niao?  We'll have to wait for Ep 8

I am waiting for the English subtitles. Sadly it isn't out yet.

I agree with you that RJL is a great actor.  His eyes really emotes well. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Where is everybody?

Hi! I'm waiting patiently for the subs. Hope they are coming soon. Honestly, never expected this particular show to have such a problem(((. Very disappointing indeed...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Polly said:

Does anyone have any idea how Changyi suddenly developed legs? What caused it? 

According to Luo Luo, the merfolk originally had legs. They subsequently cultivated their skills to acquire tails and special powers. Chang Yi was injured from the golden spear and lightning strikes, and very weak after he exerted himself to force out the spear, so he lost his “Mer” powers. That’s why the tail disappeared. Hope this helps.

So it seems like from what some of you posted here, there are no subtitles yet. If anyone needs clarification, please feel free to ask here. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 3/20/2022 at 2:18 PM, Polly said:

Does anyone have any idea how Changyi suddenly developed legs? What caused it? 

7 hours ago, omiki said:

According to Luo Luo, the merfolk originally had legs. They subsequently cultivated their skills to acquire tails and special powers. Chang Yi was injured from the golden spear and lightning strikes, and very weak after he exerted himself to force out the spear, so he lost his “Mer” powers. That’s why the tail disappeared. Hope this helps.

So it seems like from what some of you posted here, there are no subtitles yet. If anyone needs clarification, please feel free to ask here. 

Hi @Polly  Yes @omiki  is right.  But in addition when a Mermaid or Merman is on Land for too long, he or she will naturally develop legs - Adapting to the new environments. They need to walk.  They cannot have people carrying them around in a Water Tank, can they?  But when they are back in the waters, their tails will naturally come back.

So we see that in the American Comedy Movie "Splash";  or the Korean Drama "The Legend Of The Blue Sea".  Both also on Mermaids.

7 hours ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

both seasons were filmed together

actress said second season is more intense

@杨过是大哥哥It should be that way. That the Second Season is more intensed.  Because that is when we will see the Sadomachistic Relationship of the Two Leads in Full Bloom.  They will also occupy more Screen Time.

Chang Yi will have out-grown his Innocence by then.  He will be in his Elements: Matured. Powerful and Masculine.

I'm actually more interested in Part Two

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, omiki said:

reading this made me wonder if the scriptwriter and the novel writer are the same person.

because in the novel changyi voluntarily sacrificed his tail in order to save Yunhe. He gave permission to LHQ to carve his leg out and he would never able to have his tail back 

reading all of your comments made me want to watch so badly. I even watched clips without any understanding in YouTube and felt bad for spoiling myself. Haha

• Like 3

On 3/21/2022 at 6:58 PM, Far^away said:

reading this made me wonder if the scriptwriter and the novel writer are the same person.

because in the novel changyi voluntarily sacrificed his tail in order to save Yunhe. He gave permission to LHQ to carve his leg out and he would never able to have his tail back 

reading all of your comments made me want to watch so badly. I even watched clips without any understanding in YouTube and felt bad for spoiling myself. Haha

Hi @Far^away, I think you've mis-interpreted   @omiki choice-word "Lost".  :lol:   @omiki meant Chang Yi momentarily lost his "Mer-Power".  Not his "Tail".  No. Chang Yi Did Not "Lose" his Tail.  It was just a Merfolk adapting to New Environment.  He has been on Land for too Long.  Usually when Mermaids were captured, they're kept in waters.  But here, Chang Yi is kept on Land.  So after some time, his Tail will transform into "Legs".  His Tail will re-appear when he hits Water again.

Sunday, Monday & Tuesday only has 1 episode each. I've finished Eps 8 & 9:

Spoiler

Ep 8 (pretty "Flat"):

Both Yun He & Chang Yi managed to pacify Qing Ji Lian Niao (Aoji). First Yun He pretended to be her former lover, Ning Ruo Chu.  Then Chang Yi sang her a song. So finally  The Divine Bird's Spirit exited the "10-Squares Formation" to rejoin her Body.

She had a brief confrontation with San Yue.

In truth Ning Ruo Chu really loves the Aoji. After sealing her in the "10 Squares Formation", he plans to steathily join her there forever.  But his fellow-clansmen betrayed him.  Had him killed.

Yun He played a Fingers Magical-game with Chang Yi and won. Said Chang Yi was to follow her wherever she goes from now on. They will be together forever. Chang Yi was so moved that he kissed and transfered his Internal Elixir - Shark's Pearl to Yun He.  They both exited the Matrix only to be directed back to the Valley of A Thousand Flowers via the Rear Pond of Guzhu's residence. That pond is one of the Eyes of the "10 Squares Formation".  The Anti-Dote which Yun He had found are No Anti-Dotes. Planted by Lin Cang Lan. Yun He and Chang Yi  are detained.

Ep 9 

Lin Cang Lan deliberately let Yun He suffers the Frost Flower Poison Attack. Lin Haoqing took this as a Threat and wanted  to cut off Chang Yi's tail.  But Chang Yi said nobody can cut off his tail unless he agrees to it.

Chang Yi was reluctant at first. Because Yun He had sent Qu Xiao Xing to warn him not to believe anyone and not to cut his "Tail". CY also had a dream of his father (the King Of Sharks) accusing him of having betrayed the Mermen because he has cut off his tail and lost the Shark Pearl.  He is No Longer welcomed back to the Sea.  This Dream is a Foreshadow of Chang Yi losing his "Tail" soon.  

Lin Hao Qing took Chang Yi to see Yun He being tortured by the Frost Poison. Mermen are very Faithful creatures.  They will only love One Person in their Lifetime. Chang Yi transformed into a Merman, flew into the air, transformed into a water blade and cut off his own precious "Tail".  He then fell onto the ground. He gave his Second Elixir Pearl to LHQ in exchange for the anti-dote for Yun He.

In doing such, Xian Ji's (Shunde Fairy) 3 Demands are fulfilled :

- Make the Merman speaks

- Cut off his tail so that he does not return to the Sea

- Get his Elixir Pearl

Actually for a Merman, having his "Tail" cut off, is Worse than dying.  Chang Yi not only is "Disowned" by his Clans.  But he has now Lost 50% of his Power.  Chang Yi said before.  The source of his power is his "Tail".

Ep 9 also gives us a brief look into childhood of Yun He and Lin Hao Qing. Yun He is an Orphan and an adopted daughter of Lin Cang Lan.  While Lin Hao Qing has lost his mother.  Both of them were good friends.  But Lin Cang Lan wants to nurture LHQ into a tough and ruthless heir.  First he made him choose between his Pet Dog and YH.  Next he used the Frost Poison on YH to force her to push LHQ into the Snakes Pit.  So gradually Lin Hao Qing had to keep his affections for YH in his heart.  Outwardly they are Competitors.

How can Yun He and Chang Yi escape from the Valley of a Thousand Flowers and Lin Cang Lan's clutch?:(  We will have to continue watching.....:lol:

For me, The Story is good.  But the Lead's Performance lacks "Fire", "Sparks".  I can feel the Emotions from the Supporting Casts: The Love Affair Of Xue San Yue and Lishu.  Or Ning Ruo Chu and the Divine Bird.  Luo Jing Sang is so "cute". All their performance are very "natural".  But not from the Female Lead.   So it ends up very Bland for me.  The water is not even  simmering.  No chemistry :lol:

• Like 3