[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Who Rules The World 且试天下

sugarplum892

I am up to ep 14

Spoiler

I feel so sad for Prince Chang - his mother abuses him terribly! I hope that he can still support HFX/LX and I love their brotherhood. 

I also appreciate mature characters that are SMART!! Like OTP - on par with each other and are very mature. minister Feng is also mature and doesn’t resort to being the jealous woman or even Prince Change who realizes his mom’s manipulations etc. 

Finally writer not assuming viewers are dumb! 

ep 15 + 16 - it was great - I didn’t see that plot reveal coming at allll - then baddie. The Wuxia maze made me think of older series like Return of Condor heroes hehehehe

Ep 17 - Prince Chang vs his Evil mother

Spoiler

I was all rooting for Prince Chang to stand up against his mom and it felt so good and then the Queen kicked his momentum completely!!! Truly Queen Baili is so evil to do that to her own son - Prince Chang. She literally has no love for him - soo evil 

@pad-hari 

Spoiler

I think she is someone that I suppose to betray Lanxi - that maid of his but she can be a double spy - plot twist. 

So this new princess - she looks so familiar to me but I can’t place the actress - where did I see her before!?!? 

ep18 

Spoiler

Mannnnnnn I was hoping Prince Chang and Lanxi can team up and save their relationship. We knew the Queen will manipulate him etc. wow didn’t expect that whole plot to frame HFX for Ms Qi’s death. 

In the novel HFX is even more cold so it was good to see it in this episode of how he resolved the plot. Mwahahahah 

I didn’t expect Prince Chang to throw himself off the balcony to take himself out of the throne race. Ughhhh Queen Baili is the only annoying character

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Yinye said:

So this new princess - she looks so familiar to me but I can’t place the actress - where did I see her before!?!? 

She was in Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms as Bai Qian's snake spirit Shao Xin that eloped with Yua Hua's 2nd uncle (Bai Qian's original fiancee). She also acted as the FL in Let's Shake It with Zheng Ye Cheng as the ML. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 12:17 AM, Yinye said:

I am up to ep 14

Reveal hidden contents

I feel so sad for Prince Chang - his mother abuses him terribly! I hope that he can still support HFX/LX and I love their brotherhood. 

I also appreciate mature characters that are SMART!! Like OTP - on par with each other and are very mature. minister Feng is also mature and doesn’t resort to being the jealous woman or even Prince Change who realizes his mom’s manipulations etc. 

Finally writer not assuming viewers are dumb! 

ep 15 + 16 - it was great - I didn’t see that plot reveal coming at allll - then baddie. The Wuxia maze made me think of older series like Return of Condor heroes hehehehe

Ep 17 - Prince Chang vs his Evil mother

Reveal hidden contents

I was all rooting for Prince Chang to stand up against his mom and it felt so good and then the Queen kicked his momentum completely!!! Truly Queen Baili is so evil to do that to her own son - Prince Chang. She literally has no love for him - soo evil 

@pad-hari 

Reveal hidden contents

I think she is someone that I suppose to betray Lanxi - that maid of his but she can be a double spy - plot twist. 

ep18 

Reveal hidden contents

Mannnnnnn I was hoping Prince Chang and Lanxi can team up and save their relationship. We knew the Queen will manipulate him etc. wow didn’t expect that whole plot to frame HFX for Ms Qi’s death. 

In the novel HFX is even more cold so it was good to see it in this episode of how he resolved the plot. Mwahahahah 

I didn’t expect Prince Chang to throw himself off the balcony to take himself out of the throne race. Ughhhh Queen Baili is the only annoying character

I look forward to the Queen's downfall.

Ep 19 - 20

Spoiler

At first, I thought the King is not a bad character, but the more he ignores the Queen's scheming, the more I dislike him. He pretty much disregarded his sons' welfare and encouraged the Queen's scheming by turning a blind eye.

Hopefully, Prince Chang will have a happier ending and find someone who truly loves and appreciates him.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Hi everyone again, I'm back after finally finishing 22 episodes.

I'm still trying to get all the characters in order. I might sound crazy but could someone tell me 

Spoiler

what royal house BFX belongs to as a princess? Seems in all that haos I've missed it...:lol: I'm also shocked no one is looking for her.

I wonder if her Shifu knows her true identity. I'm like 99% sure he should. I think we'll know that in the next episode (or at least could get an opinion on that) judging from 

Spoiler

how  he reacts to advisor Ren's words.

Also, I should confess, I'm already fed up with political scheming :crazy:. When I started the drama I honestly expected more "martial arts world"- oriented drama; that palace stuff just drives me crazy :rolleyes:

Feel very sorry for Prince Chang. He of all people deserves all the love and happiness. Hope his mum gets everything she truly deserves for ruining his life. And I'm very disappointed the King allowed him being mistreated for so long in the first place. Nothing justifies that.

I should say

Spoiler

YuWu Yuan showing his true colors still continues to shock me.

I imagined a kind of bromance between him and Leon's character, imagined he would be the drama's "young wise saint" , but never expected THIS...BTW, I think

Spoiler

that the actor is doing an amazing job going from "saint look" to "bad boy" in a second). 

• Like 4

@leo2020 Dong Empire is divided into seven areas - the capital city + six ‘zhou’ - Yung, Ji, Shang, You, Qing and Bei. Modern translation of ‘zhou’ is prefecture, but in the drama, it can be taken as country which has its own King. So far, only Qing and Bei have not appeared in the drama, except for the brief introduction in episode 1, and the banquet for crown princes in episode 11. I believe BFX is from Qing. I have to re-watch the part where young HFX and BFX were in the hanging scrolls room. BFX was looking at the scroll which had a female ruler who was likely her ancestor.

@pad-hari I am also intrigued at why they are not showing her face. I suspect this actress was ‘cancelled’ and so was edited out? It can’t be that they want to keep her identity hidden until it is revealed as a plot conspiracy later? If so, then it is a clumsy way to do it.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

@leo2020 Might be wrong but I think no one is looking for BFX as she's probably the younger sibling and lower in the order of succession (not heir). Therefore, allowing her free rein to explore the lands with Tian shuang sect. 

And yes, I too keep forgetting that Yu Wu Yuan is now a villain.

I just watched the trailer for ep 30

Spoiler

Does Lanxi know about BFX's identity given that he's participating in a competition to win princess xiyun's hand in marriage? Can't wait for the moment where he finds out that he fell in love with the same girl twice :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

3 minutes ago, debbsthebee said:

Reveal hidden contents

Does Lanxi know about BFX's identity given that he's participating in a competition to win princess xiyun's hand in marriage? Can't wait for the moment where he finds out that he fell in love with the same girl twice :D

Yeah I wondering that as well.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:56 AM, Polly said:

She was in Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms as Bai Qian's snake spirit Shao Xin that eloped with Yua Hua's 2nd uncle (Bai Qian's original fiancee). She also acted as the FL in Let's Shake It with Zheng Ye Cheng as the ML. 

She was also Hua Qian Gu daughter Tang Bao from Journey of Flower

I finish last week the novel from Who rules the world...and I still don't figure out how Feng Lan Xi know Feng Xi Xun...hm...

they change many thing from the novel but I did like it. 

watch until episode 24 now and in netflix was until ep 12 if I remember correctly. 

So far I like it...finally good wuxia serie. 

7 hours ago, debbsthebee said:

Reveal hidden contents

If I remember from the novel this part was ....when Bai Feng Xi replace the other princess....because something happen to her. So in a time she suppose to be the princess Hua Chu Ran...which suppose to be the most beautiful princess in the novel...and really strategie...

SPOILERS ALERT...DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT.

Spoiler

The other princess was in love with Hei Feng Xi....and he was ...like want to married her too to grab the power....she finally married Huang Chao. He wasn't really a good man too...sigh in the novel hm

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

Ohhh the forum is back and I just watched all the episodes 24

Spoiler

Overall - political schemes are getting a bit repetitive with Prince J and Queen B so I am glad to see WY take things up a notch and get the plot going. So far the momentum of the story has been great and I don’t them to get draggy now. There has to be a switch up or plot twist soon!

OTP ship sailing is sooooo adorable and very different from the novel for now. In the novel there was much more angst, tension, and love. It’s funny how when they are alone - they don’t flirt like they do when they are ‘acting’ during an investigation or resolving a scheme lol. Happy that they enjoy it. Also love how HFX always looks very proud of BFX when she does her thing.

BFX and Minister Feng becoming BFF was also refreshing and I am so glad they didn’t make MF into a jealous third wheel. 

ep 24 was great - back into more action and OTP working together. BFX took that corrupt official out like she said she would! 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 2

I remember the old days when my father would go to a shop to rent video cassette tapes, and we would call the shop to ask whether the latest episodes had arrived. It was akin to waiting for new episodes to be released right now online, but those days, the tapes were brought over from HK, and then duplicated and distributed to the various shops that rented them to eager viewers. For those of you who know what I am talking about, you must be as old as I am!

After catching up with 20+ episodes within a few days, I felt a slight thrill, something in my heart stirred as I giggled over a few similar scenes, reminiscent of my childhood days, and shared the trivia with my father (the culprit who introduced me to these dramas):

1) The martials arts, wulin world with various sects still covet power

2) The word of a martial artist, is as good as gold, gentleman's honour and chilvary exist

3) The one who is good looking, who holds a good reputation, turns out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing

4) Having fallen into a cave, one would acquire a revered skill, one that everyone seeks after, one that even the founder has failed to grasp but would in the end be mastered by a couple, because it would take love and sacrifice to unlock it's mythical secrets

5) The protagonist reigns supreme in all aspects but is clueless when it comes to love

With the passing of the decades, a different audience segment and a woman as a director, I noticed that somethings have been more prominent (not only for this drama, but a few recent ones):

1) The female lead is whimsical, yet she depicts masculinity (not petty & quick to forgive, focused on the facts & never taking things personally, decisive & is unaffected by others' opinions)  not only that, her skills are at par with the male lead's. Not many dramas in the 80s would have featured that, with the exception of The Return of The Condor Heroes (but the female lead there was very feminine in her characterisation) 

My take on this is that: women can depict masculinity, with traits like assertiveness, and not have to be labelled 'bossy', we don't always have to live up to society's expectations and be ashamed because we are not feminine enough.

2) Consistent with a masculine depiction of women, the first female lead and the second female lead work hand in hand together, there is no petty squabbling and jealousy, the country and work comes first (this isn't the first drama where this has occurred, but is rather consistent with the prevailing tone of the story). Pettiness and jealousy aren't the only things that define a woman, we can put them aside and be objective as well, just like a man.

3) That a princess is allowed to roam freely, free from the shackles of court politics and the identity she has been born with - to do what she wants, supported by a loving brother and father (at least till this point, that's what I have been informed). The underlying message being - we are not necessarily tied down by fate and destiny, we do have control over the future and can be our own architect.

I have enjoyed watching this and will be chasing the remainder of the episodes closely. Though I know it's been labelled as an idol wuxia, filled with good looking people, I am thankful for the storyline that moves along and the supporting actors they casted to give the drama greater credibility in the acting department. Actors such as Leon Lai, Huang Yi (who has grown taller from the days of Maiden Holmes, and is such a cutie), Li Jiu Lin (Decreed by Fate and Time Flies You Are Here), Xuan Lu (Stand By Me, I adore her reprisal of a smart  and brave woman, similar to her SBM role) are among some who have tipped the watchability scale for me. Last but not least, though there is romance, it doesn't make me cringe and the characters remain true to themselves. Kudos to the director, scriptwriter, cast and crew!!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@SC2019 I feel you because back in the late 80’s, I was watching C-dramas on VHS cassettes with my grandma except she had the rental place deliver the new videos via motorcycle when they were released on a weekly basis lol 

Many parts of this drama also made me remember old Wuxia drama, especially Return of Condor Heroes too. 

Looking forward to the new episodes.

• Like 4