[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Who Rules The World 且试天下

sugarplum892

@Yinye :partyblob: glad to hear that I am not the only one who experienced this kind of childhood (delivery sounds like a good idea, lol) . Because I grew up with this genre, I've been in awe of martial art stunts complete with the ability to defeat gravity, transmit energy to others, and the ability to pin-point accupuncture points accurately. Up until I married my husband, I have never thought anything unusual about such dramas until he pointed out that these were unrealistic and a waste of his time watching :sweatingbullets:So, it's really nice to be able to enjoy them with others who do. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I remember the old days when my father would go to a shop to rent video cassette tapes, and we would call the shop to ask whether the latest episodes had arrived. It was akin to waiting for new episodes to be released right now online, but those days, the tapes were brought over from HK, and then duplicated and distributed to the various shops that rented them to eager viewers. For those of you who know what I am talking about, you must be as old as I am!

Omg you brought up a fond childhood memory, which I've totally forgotten! 

45 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

Because I grew up with this genre, I've been in awe of martial art stunts complete with the ability to defeat gravity, transmit energy to others, and the ability to pin-point accupuncture points accurately. Up until I married my husband, I have never thought anything unusual about such dramas until he pointed out that these were unrealistic and a waste of his time watching :sweatingbullets:So, it's really nice to be able to enjoy them with others who do. 

You're definitely not the only one. I'm a fan of especially Jin Yong / Louis Cha adaptations. Yes, it's unrealistic but that's part of fantasy genre akin to Lord of the rings, Marvel/DC, Star Trek, Star Wars etc. 

• Blob 3

@Polly When I was young, I secretly wished I could fly up and down buildings, sadly I have yet to find a feasible way till this day :hwaiting2:

I didn't realise how they produced 'smoke' that would rise from the tops of the heads of the wulin members (typical of  a scene depicting them emitting their inner energy, or loi kong in Cantonese). Twas' many years later when they showed a BTS (rare in those days as there was no Youtube to upload such scenes). Guess what they did? They lit charcoal, and someone would be squatting to hide from plain view, vigorously fanning the flames to produce smoke, and that, ladies and gentleman, was how they produced smoke!

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

@SC2019 @Polly I am also happy to know many of us experiences these memories and yes, during that time I also wanted to be a Wuxia heroine that can also do special martial arts with good pressure points, acupuncture, and Chinese medicine skills and had total acceptance of Chinese fantasy drama. It is why I still read many Chinese novels to this day, I really appreciate the WX, XX, and Sci-Fi novels and then get more excited if they become adapted. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

@SC2019 @Polly @Yinye 

Spoiler

I should confess I've never knew anything  about Cdramas till my first visit to China). I remember there were surely video tape rentals  in my childhood, but mostly there were Hollywood films. With time TV became filled with Latin American telenovellas, but unfortunately no Cdramas came. Back than my head was mostly filled with Jules Verne and his heroes :lol: , I used to dream about tropical islands, deep blue sea, pirates and adventures:D. The closest thing I got to Wuxia -Xianxia world ,I suppose, was a book of North Korean legends:w00t::)(for real, don't laugh:lol:). 

Ohh, that's so cool you guys were able to experience adventures of wuxia world  from early years). 

Back to our current drama- I'm very glad they finally moved from the capital and are doing and experiencing  smth new). 

@SC2019 

Re the actors- 

Leon is always a pleasure to watch, although for me his best role so far was in Fu Yao). 

I've got a feeling Huang Yi is already taller then Yand Yang:D. OMG, they grow so very quickly, it was like just yesterday he played a younger version of  Qin Jun Jie's character in Listening Snow Tower, and I thought- such a sweet young boy:wub: And look, he is already a grown up:).

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

@leo2020 It's probably a matter of geographical location -

Spoiler
Spoiler

I grew up in Malaysia, so it was natural for me to have access to TVB/HK dramas. And it so happened my parents enjoyed costume dramas, those days, mainly Jin Yong as the industry wasn't peppered with scriptwriters/ novelists with easy access to online publishing and China hadn't really opened up yet. Our access to American sitcoms was limited till much later when we had access to cable network on a subscription basis, but I do recall growing up with MacGyver and the A-team (LOL). Jules Verne, to me, was merely an author of a book, I don't remember having access to any of the movies from his books.

I have a feeling that Leon Lai's character is likely to be the one that...

Spoiler

BFX will end up fighting in the battle, after Hei-Bai defeat the wolf in sheep's clothing. I recall reading this paragraph in some book somewhere or was it a movie script?? "I don't want the world, just this tiny corner of it. But since you want the entire world to yourself, I will have to fight you to defend my corner" (something to that effect). Our BFX doesn't want the world, but she will fight to death to defend her people. Anyways, she said that in an interview about how she transforms from a martial arts vagabond to taking on the leadership role in her state/perfecture, and the MVs depict that scene too. I can't wait to watch that scene.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Does that mean her father and brother perish? If not, why would she have to step up to fight? I am pretty sure her brother can lead the war. sigh, poor Li Jiu Lin, appearing in so few scenes only and then written off?

Oh yes, Huang Yi in the drama was already close to Yang Yang's height, but in terms of built, he is rather slight. He's only 18, my goodness, some room left to grow, or at least to beef up. And the experience he has had should put him in good stead in the future. He reminds me of Leo Wu, though this one had a more accomplished career and more dramas under his belt, having started from a really young age. [which reminds me another one to look forward to this year, Love Like the Galaxy]

• Like 2

Spoiler

Does that mean her father and brother perish? If not, why would she have to step up to fight? I am pretty sure her brother can lead the war. sigh, poor Li Jiu Lin, appearing in so few scenes only and then written off?

I really don't know since

Spoiler

I've seen a trailer where Huang Chao proposed her to be his Empress (that looked like a real business proposal :lol:). I sincerely hope since she would definitely refuse, he won't take it on her family and kill them or her hostage or smth like that. Li Jiu Lin definitely should do smth with his career, such micro-roles like in this drama - he IMO already overgrew them. I hope he gets more leading roles in future. 

I personally am looking forward to see what King Yong would do with all this new knowledge about his son's activities in martial world, and how Prince J and his evil mum's situation ends. 

And, yes, I hope for some justice to Feng Chang! So far the production literally just wrote him off, or what?

• Like 2

@leo2020 I don't think their 

Spoiler

death is done sneakily, so to speak, I hope not, I would think very little of this character, at least not to spite her for turning him down. But another forum member said that this character isn't a good person in the novel; then again, the novelist came out to say that the novel and the drama are quite different. So far, from what little we have seen, he is ambitious and power hungry but values his people. Hopefully, he won't go down the road to murder the father and brother. Perhaps, they die at the hands of the wolf in sheep's clothing?

• Like 2

They rescheduled Who rules the World not because fan requested it. Something happening for Who Rules the World scandal about the plagiarism from the author. And many other complicated problem which start to appear. So they want to end very fast Who Rules the world for viewers and before everything break off. I read so many novel and people know I read a lot. I never figured out which part is ''suppose to be plagiarism''. They author was said no about the plagiarism. The novel was well done and please hope it's wil calm down. Not because it's popular, people need to find a problem on everything sigh

Who rules the world title is already let's you to figure out what is about this story. Will Feng Lanxi rules the world or he will let's the only string who keep him to be a ''human'' to bring his idea down. If you all have watch Ashed of love...it's really similar. 

You get the the power and extremely GREEDY but you will not have the person you want. You will do something agaisnt your moral because you want TO BE THE RULER and nothing can't effect your decision...

if you thinking how is would be...this story, you will know how it's will end. Between that a lot blood, feeling down, be not yourself, the confidence between them will broke, not able to be true with your own feeling...

Leon..was really great in the Legend of Fuyao, but he was also great in Ancient Love Poetry. I was crying a river about him...

I dunno but please check Yang Yang ear...he was so red with Zhao Lu Zi. In any part when he have some intimate acting part, Yang Yang really blushing so much, more then other costar he was acting before

I always said, the ear never lie...I keep checking in all drama I watch if the costar have some effect with the actor. That why Yang Yang and Zhao Lu Zi have a rumor they dating together...he did care a lot with her when filming. so cute!!

trailer episode 32 was out so long so please refrain if you want want to watch it 

credit to the owner

PLEASE THIS SPOILER IS FROM THE NOVEL...PLEASE READ WITH CAUTION 

Spoiler

Please...this isn't part from Feng Lanxi use all his inner force to bring back Feng Xixun alive...he will not become a white hair yet and lost 30 years. Probably the part when Feng Lanxi went to help her and find her in this condition when she fight the gang...

or they change this part from the novel...we never know what the production did it....

• Like 1

Someone just sent this to me, and while we were on the topic of wuxia dramas, with 'loi kong' or inner power/energy... I thought this was just so cute and really made me laugh. I hope you all will too @miaka fy @Yinye @Polly @leo2020

@miaka fy yes I heard about the allegations of plagiarism, but it wasn't about the novel (at least what I am aware of, perhaps someone has kicked up more dirt), more about the manner in which the drama was shot, certain scenes are similar to

Spoiler

Royal Nirvana. The scriptwriter for RN though posted on social media that this matter should not be pursued and that it's normal for period dramas to have certain similarities. I hope that this matter has been laid to rest and that others won't fan the flames to further incite the allegations. And I am hoping we will quickly get to watch everything before things get out of hand.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Watched the latest eps, 27 & 28, both of which caught me by surprise.

For the first few minutes of E27 I didn't expect that BFX would do what she did. As I was walking this morning (my usual morning walk to start the day off), I was humming to myself a couple of unrelated song lyrics (Words Get in the Way, Miami Sound Machine, More Than Words, Extreme, Love Will Keep us Alive, Eagles) that I felt resonated with that scene (some parts have been adapted). And if they both had to sing a song to each other because words just seem to get in their way...

HFX

I was standing
All alone against the world outside
I was searching
For a place to hide

Lost and lonely
Now you've given me the will to survive
Love will keep me alive

The world is changing
Right before my eyes
Now I've found you
There's no more emptiness inside

I would die for you
Climb the highest mountain
Baby, there's nothing I wouldn't do

BFX

There's something you've been trying to say to me
But the words get in the way
There's so much you want to say

But it's locked deep inside and if I look in your eyes

Now that you've tried to
Talk to me and make me understand
All I have to do is close my eyes
And just reach out your hands
And touch me
Hold me close don't ever let me go
More than words
Is all I ever needed you to show
Then you wouldn't have to say
That you love me
'Cause I'd already know

More than words to show you feel
That your love for me is real

As for E28, ouch, it was a painful watch, both emotionally and physically. But I am comforted that it's Black Foxy, cunning, scheming and someone who has outsmarted others time and again. I believe what really happened is 

Spoiler
Spoiler

One or a combination of these:

a) The King's Eunuch helped to replace the Grieve liquid with something that offered a similar but temporal effect or provided an antidote beforehand; I sense that he is a sympathiser to HFX OR the flower that the Old man in the cave gave them was put to good use to restore his inner powers.

b) HFX and the King struck a deal and put up the show to lure a supposed plot to overthrow the kingdom, w/out having to implicate the 3rd prince. With his identity revealed, it was a matter of time that this would be brought to light and the King would have a load of crap to deal with. By chastising him openly and subjecting him to corporal punishment, then taking over the Fountain Abode network, it would be seen as due punishment being meted (plus a political win for the King)

c) BFX's sect is intentionally in prison because it's the safest place to be or else someone will target them anyways and the Sifu is trying to find out if anyone in prison is likely to shed light on the jade piece (which he purposely took out in full view in prison). It's impossible that HFX didn't know that the guards would make a move on them when they went to rescue the House of Jade prisoners and the look of surprise on his face was just too contrived. Besides, the Sifu and BFX are way smarter than to have been caught saving prisoners in plain daylight. AND the look on the Sifu's face when he was in the same room with HFX earlier on, plus his inner thoughts about not making any rash decisions has already informed viewers that there's more than meets the eye.

It's pretty obvious from the subsequent trailer that he's not really lost his martial arts prowess, so we know for sure that something happened, the question I guess right now, is WHAT? Oh, and why has Huang Chao changed his target from Princess Hua Chun Ran to Princess Feng Xi Yun?

BTW, here's a trivia about Zhao Lu Si, she actually can play the guzheng!

Spoiler

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cct3cDdPBZb/

And the time when she played the instrument in Dating in the Kitchen was really her performance.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just watched 27 + 28 and 

Spoiler

Happy OTP is solid in their relationship but how cute that our heroine is going to be the bodyguard lol

I reallllllllly hate the Yong Emperor - he doesn’t deserved to be call a father at this rate because he has literally failed all his sons by setting them up to battle him and for his throne. It was hard to watch Lanxi go through all that just to protect his people and I hope he can get his inner force back. 

Finally someone gets a clue that YWY is a villain. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

so i just watched all the trailers for episode 31 through 36, is FL using the sacred jade moon to save BF when she is close to dying?????
does that mean he found a way to regain his inner force??

7 hours ago, Don Yu said:

Where is the official channel to watch this on Youtube?

And, BTW is this actually true Wuxia? Or not much actually fighting?

No, you can’t watch this on YouTube, except for the trailers. So far, I noticed that it is available on Netflix and Tencent’s WeTV.

Some Wu Xia elements at the beginning, then it becomes ‘fight for the throne’ saga, and ‘warring kingdoms’. But of course, nobody can deny that this is essentially a romance story. Thankfully, there is no overly scheming or annoying second leads vying for the affections of our main leads. 

I mostly enjoyed every episode, especially episodes 25 and 26, except for the latest episodes 29 and 30 where I was nodding off …

Bored To Death Reaction GIF

• Like 2

@Yinye I used to work in one of those videos rental place!!! I have mastered an irrelevant skills of carrying 20 cassettes :elated:...definitely very nostalgic... Good times.

I agreed with everyone here.. I was wayyyyy over YongZhou states dilemma.  This drama is about ruling the world, yet they spent 15 episodes about his family scheming him, over and over again. Come on! What about the other 5 states, they don't fight each other? Why is YongZHou the only one with crazyyyy internal turmoil? **sorry, it's just a bit frustrating**

Also, BFX doesn't have good character development.  Really, nobody has good character development, except his older brother & HFX (his is..ehhh).  I dont like that BFX doesn't have a background story, except she's the princess, and that's it. She is smart and cunning, but she only follows HFX. She's supposed to be the lead right? Not a supporting role.

Where is her arc?  We have 10 more episodes to go, and I feel everything will be rushed.  

And don't get me started with the "mysterious" token that pops in an out for convenience.

Overall, I like the drama for entertainment purposes, but Im not gonna bet money on it winning any awards for great scripts and characters.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

@linh5000 you worked there??? wow I remember the excitment of going to the shop to pick up the videos with my father, that was truly nostalgic. Even when I was in Uni and studying in a foreign country, I recall going to pick them up from a shop in China town (my favourite was Liu Jai, a TVB compilation of ghost + mystical stories). So, those were truly great memories.

I understand where your frustration is coming from. For those who read the novel, I think the frustration is even greater. From what I heard, HFX was a secondary character and the main focus was on BFX, an extraordinaire. But with YY being casted, he couldn't be put into that supplementary role, his fans would yell blue murder. I am looking forward to her kick-a** when she heads the army, prolly E36-37?

Indeed, now that you mention it, the token seems to have taken a back stage for some episodes now!

@Raj Patel It does look like he will recover his inner powers, it's typical wuxia plot, they lose them, then they recover them in greater strength. Though I think @miaka fy would inform us that in the novel,  some years of his life were shaved off and his hair turned white in saving her. [bear in mind, this is only novel fodder, I don't recall seeing his hair turn white in the trailers at all.]

I am curious though as to why 

Spoiler

in the trailer for E36, when she is in full military attire, he calls her 'bossom friend' then he pulls her close and hugs her. Is it possible that she has kinda put aside any romantic inclinations in light of the on-going war?

And I am seriously chaffed that HFX is made to be so stupid in one particular aspect;  I mean even YWY can guess that BFX is Princess Xi Yue from the treaty incident, I mean why would HFX not be able to put two and two together [face palm]. And I am also chaffed that her brother had to be assasinated, does he die or merely become incapacitated? I hope it's the latter, I really like the actor (my bad, I am being biased here, LOL).

@omiki yah, after the excitment of E27-28, I felt 29-30 rather slow, except for the few seconds when BFX appeared to save HFX, and he thought to himself that it was a nice feeling, being protected for once (I thought the humour there was really ironical but it is also typical of this character to find a silver lining even under such circumstances). It's prolly just me, but I felt that the interaction between the both of them in those latest two episodes, the scene in Princess Chu Ran's palace was rather akward, was it intentional? Was it supposed to show BFX feeling uneasy about the whole situation? Or is it because I've hardly watched her being pretentious and putting up a show towards others that made it feel very contrived? 

• Love 1

I read the novel twice and this adaptation has been off completely - the only thing they got right was the OTP casting, bickering and relationship altho it pales in comparison to the novel. I just still enjoy watching it since not many Cdrama is impressing me this year. It’s not bad if you block out comparisons to the novel but they went over board with the simplification of the adaptation. 

Spoiler

In the novel, BFX is the main character!!! In this drama it’s Lanxi. We all saw the signs when BFX’s real identity wasn’t revealed and Lanxi’s was. 

Also, in the novel - the political schemes was much much more complex and it def impacted the OTP’s relationship. Something the drama has super simplify to the point where the OTP’s relationship isn’t accurate now - there was def more political in love angst in the novel and it was BFX that had the power in the relationship lol 

Edited by Yinye
  • Blob 1