[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

What do you think? Do you think Kim Sol's father really committed suicide? I know he was passionate about that village. But the man was a fighter too.  He wasn't afraid to talk back. I don't think he would cower in defeat especially when he had a son who would probably be alone in that forest. He didn't seem to me to be the depressed and giving up type. I picture him fighting tooth and nail till the end with his determination.

I feel that his father was killed and his murder was masked as a suicide. The boy knew it and probably Se Wook and Woong Soon knew it too. That's why they are committing murder masked as accidents.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, Sunset said:

What do you think? Do you think Kim Sol's father really committed suicide? I know he was passionate about that village. But the man was a fighter too.  He wasn't afraid to talk back. I don't think he would cower in defeat ...

I also find it hard to believe that he killed himself.   To think that he was also murdered it's really tragic. 

• Like 4

@thistle Welcome back! Glad you're enjoying the drama - you should have joined in the discussions! Anyway, it's never too late to start. 

I don't believe the lottery girl (Choi Hee-won, according to Asianwiki) is involved in the killings. LYS's death was an accident. When the lottery girl stumbled while trying to get her other foot into the safety harness, LYS lost her footing, but managed to push the girl to safety before slipping and being swept away by the current. As for her lottery ticket, it must be made from the most incredible material that survives all the extreme elements. Either way, I echo those who hope that her ticket has expired by the time she tries to claim the prize!

@dzareth Good questions! 

I am guessing that the killers are targeting everyone who they considered to have betrayed Black Bridge village and/or caused the deaths of their parents. I think this extends to even their children, regardless of the fact that they were all childhood playmates. Could the killers also have been holding a grudge towards their friends who left them behind?

Sgt Kim died in lieu of his father who already died in the 1995 floods. LYS was definitely targeted by the killers as seen in LSW's notebook. However, the attempt failed and the mastermind redirected his attention towards KHJ who was clearly on to them. Still, I believe that LYS' name was only temporarily removed, and the killer would have gone back to finish off those who were still alive once KHJ was dealt with, which he did. Also, I am inclined to think that LYS's grandpa was the original target, with the potato bomb in his snake trap. I don't understand why LSW told LYS about seeing her grandpa in the vicinity. Still, he did plant the 3rd potato bomb in the bear trap, so it is possible he hoped that one of them would finish her off. Not sure.

In which case, assuming Officer Kim is not one of the killers, he too will be targeted next. I am still hung up over #13 in the migration list, which had no name. The herb collector should definitely be an ex-resident, since he was clearly targeted twice. As such, he should be #11 Kim Seong-guk. In which case, why wasn't Officer Kim's father in the list? Is he the missing #13? 

@Sunset @YongZura⁷ I agree. Given his character, and the fact that he had a young son who would be left an orphan, I don't believe he would have committed suicide. He was very likely strangled and made to look like he hung himself. If little Kim Sol actually saw it happen or found out, is there any wonder he is out for vengeance?

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

@liddi  Even if Lottery Girl isn't part of the murder plot, I still think there could be a woman involved.  There was something about seeing the back of the suspicious person in episode 14--it seemed more slender than a man might appear.  

It's really too late in the series for anything major/new to appear so it seems like there has to be something that has been so obvious that it was easy to overlook.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@liddi Kim Nam Sik was there (soldier's father). I just based this from the IQIYI subs coz I cant really read korean LoL (and for some reason I can't upload images to imgur anymore so I can attach here). At around 22:13 of ep 14 HJ read out the list and Kim Nam Sik was the 4th one.

In episode 13, when an image of the list was shown I think numbers 13 onwards were just listed in the template but there really are no names to it. I think it was just how their documents work that every line has a number even if that line did not have any information.

• Like 3

Kim Sol is definitely one of the murderers (if there's more than one). The way he replied to KHJ when he was being questioned in Ep 14 did not look natural and he kept asking probing questions to KHJ too, possibly to sense if KHJ knows more than he should have. 

The other one is dubious though.....the latest episode makes us want to believe that Kim Woong Soon is the culprit but this could be a red herring yet again. 

• Like 3

@thistle If indeed a woman is involved, the only one we keep seeing is either Dr Yoon or the lottery girl Choi Hee-won. None of their surnames match those who died in Black Bridge Village (Kim or Lee). If indeed it is one of them. hopefully there is a plausible explanation as to their link to the 1991 events.

@NhicarT Yes. Kim Nam Sik (Sgt Kim's father) is #4 in the migration list. 

However, I can't place Officer Kim Woong Soon's father anywhere. He could be #11  Kim Seong-guk, but then which one is the herb collector who died in Ep14? Hence my suspicion that Officer Kim's father is #13. I'm confuzzled!

The following is the migration list which I transcribed from the actual Korean, in the order of the list itself:

1. Choi Il-man                  volunteer ranger   (victim #6)
2. Lee Jong-gu                 volunteer ranger   (victim #3)
3. Kim Jin-deok                volunteer ranger   (victim #4)
4. Kim Nam-sik                 ranger                  (son Sgt. Kim was victim #1)
5. Lee Jae-geun               LYS's grandpa         (LYS was attempted victim #7)
6. Seo Geum-ja                (victim #2)
7. Granny Geum-rye         (victim #5)
8. Heo Jin-ok                   lady hiker
9. Hwang Gil-yong            volunteer ranger   (attempted victim at Jeonmukgol)
10. Jang Hak-su               volunteer ranger    (died at Mujin valley)
11. Kim Seong-guk            Officer Kim's father, or herb collector who died in Ep14?
12. Choi Sang-gyeong       (related to Choi Gi-yeong who died in Oerae valley Mar 2020?)
13. ??

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

My thoughts after ep14 (yes, I decided to watch it after all, and join all of you comrades in this suspense and tough wait for 7 days to the finish line! Lol!!!!)

- Lotto girl. I dont think she is involved in the Black valley village but I'm hoping there is a purpose for the amount of screentime devoted to her looking for a measly piece of paper. Otherwise, I feel cheated!  I am actually amazed she found that paper in the mountain!

- Officer Corporal Kim WS.  I'm hoping it is yet another twist and that he knows what's going on he is not the killer, and he has been trying to stop the murders.

- Kim Sol.  His expression is suspicious, and I dont know what to make out of it.   Either KWS or Sol is the killer but I dont think they are working together.

- I think the children of those who died (those who want to stay) are taking revenge on those who agreed to move.  Either those who move together kill those who stay, or the cable car man arranged the killings (then disguised as suicide).   And along the way, misunderstandings etc.  SW is one of those taking revenge.  My guess! I may be wrong and associated the child to wrong parent :P

- I still have hopes that one of those ranger colleagues are in cahoots with the killer (the one that found Dawon - i still dont have nor remember his name)

- YG and HJ are hunted because they are getting closer to the truth. YG got tricked by stick in ground and fell off the cliff.  HJ foresaw her incident (the snowy bloody area)

- HJ flatlined at end ep14 but woke up later when his spirit got pushed back to his body. My sincere hopes for a healing drama!
- The sudden absence of those twigs and leaves signal... Too complicated?? 
- Is Dawon really dead? Or is a ploy to deaw killer out as Dawon must have seen the killer.

- Is the cheif really going to just stay in jail and no hands on involvement?  A wase of his character.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

48 minutes ago, lilsakus said:

- Lotto girl. I dont think she is involved in the Black valley village but I'm hoping there is a purpose for the amount of screentime devoted to her looking for a measly piece of paper. Otherwise, I feel cheated!  I am actually amazed she found that paper in the mountain!

- Officer Corporal Kim WS.  I'm hoping it is yet another twist and that he knows what's going on he is not the killer, and he has been trying to stop the murders.

- Kim Sol.  His expression is suspicious, and I dont know what to make out of it.   Either KWS or Sol is the killer but I dont think they are working together.

- Is Dawon really dead? Or is a ploy to deaw killer out as Dawon must have seen the killer.

- Is the cheif really going to just stay in jail and no hands on involvement?  A wase of his character.

- Key takeaway from the lotto girl plot-line: don't give up! You will accomplish what you want (find the ticket in her case), if you try hard enough!
- Yes, I do lean towards the theory that Kim Woong Soon is not the culprit, but Kim Sol is for sure one of them.

- I doubt any of the rangers is involved

- Dawon is dead for sure

- Once the culprit is identified, JDJ will be released! While he has been hunting the culprit too, I don't think he is any closer to the truth than anyone of us watching.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

@lilsakus Da Won is really dead--I really, really hated that she died. 

But I'm wondering if there is any chance that Yang Sun survived.  I've found her questionable since the start (even if she was mentioned on the murder list and even if she did have a sweet romance).  Despite assurances from others, I'm still not sure if Lottery Ticket Girl Choi shoved her into the river.  Yang Sun and her fate are sources of conflict for me.

@liddi It's likely that I'm wrong about a woman's involvement--I sometimes make huge leaps of theory when watching a mystery, and I'm wrong just about as often as I'm right. 

However, the intricate way this drama has been constructed makes me believe that we have been fooled in some way by a lot of "red herrings" and that there's some connection somewhere that will be surprising but should make sense.  This is one of the reasons that I thought of a woman because a female might be viewed as less threatening to the victims, someone more easy to trust when she offered you some lovely (poisoned) yoghurt.

Definitely hoping this drama will indeed end on a healing note.  But I've been harmed too many times by KDramas to believe in happy endings.  I've been expecting the worst from this one from the beginning--this way I'm prepared for whatever sorrow may arise but I'll also be happily surprised if it comes good in the end..  

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Kind of weird. In the last leg of the drama, the chief ranger suddenly faded into the background. Shouldn't he be more active in the scene?

I understand better Kim Sol's aim is revenge for betrayal.

Kim Sol' father gathered the villagers to promise to remain in the village. They were hesitant. then the government compensated the villagers to move out. But it's difficult to accept Kim Sol killed all his childhood good friends.

• Like 3

If the sharp eyes of viewers were to be believe, KS is likely the (or one of) the culprits. Unfortunately, the show has a habit of showing one person in a suspicious way in previews/ flashbacks, but later showing them doing something else. Coward! LOL

Anyhow, assuming he IS the perpetrator, I think there is no doubt that the policeman is a red herring. I think he too began to realise that many of the dead were people that he knew and that is why he began to investigate. Additionally, his dad is alive (at least until graduation), so I'm sure he realised that he and/or his dad might be next.

Asking the herb collector can be a few things:

-Herb is for the villager with chicken pox

-He is suspicious of herb collector

-He is setting a trap of sorts to find real killer

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

Watch: Jun Ji Hyun, Joo Ji Hoon, Oh Jung Se, And More Remain Cheerful Despite Difficult Filming Conditions For “Jirisan”

Jun-Ji-Hyun-Joo-Ji-Hoon-Oh-Jung-Se-2.jpg

Dec 9, 2021
by S. Nam

tvN’s “Jirisan” released a new behind-the-scenes look at its intense action scenes!

Spoilers

The making-of video begins with Joo Min Kyung and Park Hwan Hee laughing while filming, despite the difficulty of the scene. Joo Min Kyung throws herself onto the ground, not holding back in the slightest. Meanwhile, Oh Jung Se also immerses himself in his role, desperately searching for Joo Min Kyung.

In the next scene, the cast gathers together at a water tank set for filming where they create heavy fake rain and winds to simulate a strong storm. Oh Jung Se dives into the water without hesitation, and the rest of the cast follows suit. Later, Joo Ji Hoon jokingly mentions Oh Jung Se’s method acting when he sees the other spacing out before filming.

On the mountains, the actors are busy running across the forest in order to film their rescue scenes. When Joo Ji Hoon walks over, Jun Ji Hyun asks accusingly, “Is he not running?” Joo Ji Hoon explains, “Our relationship isn’t good right now because you said, ‘You killed my grandmother!'” Jun Ji Hyun suddenly recalls the scene, and Joo Ji Hoon jokes, “I should be moving, but it’s [a little awkward between us].” Jun Ji Hyun also congratulates Oh Jung Se for his win at the 57th Baeksang Arts Awards for Best Supporting Actor. She teases, “Since you won Best Supporting Actor, something should have changed.”

After a serious scene, Sung Dong Il sets a hilarious mood on set by jokingly cursing at Oh Jung Se for fake crying. Oh Jung Se plays along and apologizes profusely. Later, when Jun Ji Hyun keeps stumbling over her lines, Oh Jung Se and Jo Han Chul can’t hold back their laughter.

While filming with fake snow, Jun Ji Hyun gets excited and tries to throw herself onto the snow, but it isn’t as satisfying as she expected. She also gets playful and throws a snowball at the director, who replies that there isn’t time for a snowball fight. After she falls into the snow for one of the scenes, the director walks over to help her up while laughing. Jun Ji Hyun jokingly asks, “Director, are you embarrassed of me? Why are you laughing? I can’t do this. I can’t do this shoot.”

Despite the nature of the scenes, the cast remains cheerful the entire time while filming. Sung Dong Il collapses after running up the mountain, and Oh Jung Se talks about how Sung Dong Il ran so fast he couldn’t catch up. Sung Dong Il explains that it’s because he also has the duty of performing CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) on Joo Ji Hoon.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1502709wpp/watch-jun-ji-hyun-joo-ji-hoon-oh-jung-se-and-more-remain-cheerful-despite-difficult-filming-conditions-for-jirisan

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

spacer.png

On the youtube video that posted by @YongZura⁷ above, Someone commented that scene on 03:43 seems to be for future which indicating YG can walk again. I agree with this theory. il Hae & Yi Gang's hair style on the scene are same with current time 2020. Yi Gang on flash back time most of time had her hair tied and it was middle part style. Meanwhile il hae  had blunt bangs on flash back. But..where is HJ? :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

Sneak peek of Ep15... can't believe it's almost ending.

@illay Good point about the photo with the three of them. More than just the hairstyle, I don't think we have had a scene where all three of them were wearing red parkas. It does look like our girl will recover and go back to active duty, based on the fact that she is carrying a backpack, which she would not if she had had to depend on one of them to carry her to the mountain. Apart from KHJ's absence, I have to wonder why PIH is also there when he is supposed to be injured and back in HQ. Either way, please give us a happy ending, with KHJ also back with them.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1