[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

I personally think that the preview of KHJ opening his eyes that we saw in a few episodes back is just representing a short period of time that he recovers his senses before he eventually passes away. In Chinese, we call it 回光返照.

Using another Chinese idiom (雷声大,雨点小), Jirisan is a serial that gives viewer a sense of massive anticipation before it was telecasted - a big budget mystery that stars 2 JJH in a Kim Eun Hee drama (who has been working for the massively popular Netflix Original "Kingdom" for the past few years). That is reflected also in its great debut, with Episode 2's rating breaking 10%! Sadly though, beyond episode 2, everything went downhill. It only picks up again in the last 2-3 episodes when the spotlight is back to the murder mystery.

In my opinion, a more linear fashion of telling the story would give viewers an "easier" time in terms stringing up the timeline and connecting the dots. Here's what I think will massively improve viewers' experience of the serial:

1. Start with the flood incident in 1995 that resulted in SYG's parents' death - this leads to why SYG eventually signed up for the Mountain Rangers team under the leadership of JDJ.

2. Fast forward to 2018 when KHJ joined the team and continue the story in a linear fashion from there, until it reaches the incident at the snow-peak in 2019. In other words, let viewers know of the mystery that is unfolding, of which the investigation would be suddenly suspended because of HKJ's condition and state. It is also during this period that viewers can be introduced to the flashback involving the 1991 Black Bridge Village incident.

3. Then, introduce the random murders that happened since then, until the crippled SYG came back to join the Rangers team again in 2020.

4. The climax will be after Dawon was murdered and the whole team reconvening to solve the series of murders and the mystery behind them!

Dawon's death around the mid point of the serial is a big failure (IMHO) and many viewers probably dropped the serial right after that! There are also various plots that are not related to the main murder mystery (i.e. SYG's first boyfriend)

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산
32 minutes ago, YongZura⁷ said:

When YG was at the hospital crying, I made sure that I will not be affected by it and made my own ending.  Thank you KEH, for having the same thought.  

I'm happy.

I am so left behind. Right now, i just finished eps 12.. i admit, been here and read comments altough i haven't watch the on going eps.

So i guess its a happy ending? I come here just to read spoiler i admit. 

Even though i don't know yet what kind of ending between Yigang and Hyun jo.. but, can i wish that some day the two JJH will be runited again in series or movies but more on the romance side please dear korean writers, i think i am not the only one who still can't let go yet Yigang and Hyun Jo 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Finally, finished watching the last episode of Jirisan and I am the happiest girl ever. The writer, no-matter-what, gave me what I was yearned for! Good job, everyone! I really enjoyed this series so much. And feel sad that it's already over! Hope more people will watch it & enjoy!!! :hwaiting:

• Love 2

So, Jirisan has finally ended and it's a somewhat Happy Ending for the main characters left in the show by the Finale. Nobody except for Kim Sol died eventually.

Overall, I would give it a  6.5 to 7/10; much inferior compared to Signal, Stranger or the best serial of 2021 in my opinion (Beyond Evil). Even to recent serials such as One The Woman (which also involved murder mysteries happening in the past), Jirisan paled in comparison. 

I enjoyed Kingdom and Ashin of the North, despite the deaths that occured; however, some of the deaths that happened in Jirisan were not justified and could have been prevented. For example, Yang Sun's accidental slip that was totally unrelated at all to the main murder storyline. Da Won's death happened too early and all that was just to create a red herring -- what was KEH thinking? 

And correct me if I am wrong, but the scene of Hyun Joo opening his eyes were not shown eventually??? And he miraculously was standing up on top of the mountain at the finale. Just wow.....

Overall, a massive disappointment I have to say and what a wasted potential in having so many talented casts (it's not their fault though)!

• Love 2

It's a happy ending! As I had hoped, Yi-gang and Hyun-jo recovered and returned to active duty, protecting the mountain that they love, while the core team is alive and well after the series of horrific events and tragedies of the past two years. The only one that still breaks my heart is JGY as he continues to cherish his memories with LYS, and I ache for the happiness that could have been theirs, should have been theirs if fate had not cruelly intervened.

We are finally privy to what happened leading up to the last days in Black Bridge village. In retaliation for KJG's refusal to leave, Choi Il-man and his friends poisoned his bees, an act which finally drove him mad. Little Kim Sol was the one who stamped the agreement behind his father's back - was it in an attempt to save his father who has taken leave of his senses? Nonetheless, all the scheming was for naught as the cable car project fell through after being unable to secure the green light from the Ministry of Environment, and the villagers' mass migration was on the back of compensation from the national park instead. While not shown, it stands to reason that left behind in the village he refuses to leave, KJG's nervous breakdown drove him to suicide, no longer of sound mind to consider the son he left behind. All of this left the young boy traumatised and suicidal until a chance meeting with his childhood friend showed him that despite everything they did, no one bothered to remember what transpired back then, all continuing to lead their lives with no regard for the lives they destroyed. It was in that moment that he finally snapped and started his killing spree and while Kim Sol's vengeance is centered around those he viewed to have betrayed their village, from his ravings to SYG, he would not have stopped once they were all dead, but would have cast a wider net to anyone who enters the mountain, his deranged mind convinced that the mountain itself wants to be rid of everyone.

The one aberration from KHJ's visions is also explained, which is to identify him as the killer from the start despite there being no killings in the missing boy's case. Kim Sol is able to see KHJ after all, and he must have been able to see KHJ to have been able to overhear what was told to SYG the day she was in Black Bridge village. True to form, he too met his doom soon after while SYG herself barely escaped with her life. I initially expected KHJ to be the one to stop him, but ultimately, it was the mountain that took his life, while KHJ and SYG's efforts ensured that his crimes were exposed, and his victims' death given its proper place instead of merely written off as accidents. 

The moment KHJ disappeared before her eyes upon the removal of the life support with tears flowing down his face, marked the moment his spirit was finally set free from the mountain, to return back to his physical body. While Kim Sol was not caught yet at the time, KHJ had finally accomplished all that he could - leaving the last marker that would prove the killer's guilt and put a stop to the killings. Despite the horrific crimes he perpetuated, Kim Sol is a tragic villain... a monster shaped out of traumatic circumstances, forced at an early age to confront the ugliness of greed and desperation that robbed him of his family and home, and he was as much a victim from the Black Bridge village as those whose lives he took.

How fitting that this drama would end on the sunrise of 2022 New Year's morning - heralding a new beginning for all. After all the heartache and loss, we are left with renewed hope that at long last, all the characters that we have come to care for are able to look forward to a better, happier tomorrow. And that is indeed, the healing drama that I had scarcely dared to hope that we would be given. So thank you, KEH-nim. I will miss them all now that it is finally over.

• Love 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Newbie21SG said:

Overall, a massive disappointment I have to say and what a wasted potential in having so many talented casts (it's not their fault though)!

I completely agree with you.

I was loving this drama until episodes 11 and 12. I am the kind of person that absolutely HATE when the main plot is resolved in the last minute. Unfortunately it's what happened in Jirisan. In my opinion, the real culprit should have been revealed earlier, Hyunjo should have woken up earlier, so many things should have happened earlier.

I didn't like Kim Sol's dying in the last minute especially the way it happened, it was so meh...

I never hid from anyone that my favorite thing about this drama was Yi Gang and Hyun Jo relationship with each other. Their friendship, their trust, their fellowship with each other were what I loved the most. We didn't get to see Yi Gang saying what she wanted to say to Hyun Jo after he woke up, we didn't get to see they talking to each other... when in the world she asked him if he doesn't see things anymore??? I have NO IDEA!!

That's why I hate rushed endings so much! Because writers just throw things at us and we need to guess how and when they happened.

Anyway, this drama will be marked for me for having great characters with great chemistry with each other but unfortunately, their potential was wasted in the end. 

After it's shown in the middle of this episode that the man who standing on the peak was Kim Sol, my heart was racing until 5 minutes before the end of episode. I really lost my hope...I was like " OK....HJ must be really died then". I kept on looking at the time remained and wishing the scene where HJ opened his eyes would be shown. :sweatingbullets:

After Kim Sol died, They showed the scenes about GY cherished  his memories with Yang Sun for a long time. I was like "Isn't this too long? There's no left time anymore ..please show our lead's scene" How could this PD showing GY looked at his phone for that long. They even showed the scenery of Jirisan unnecessary when GY came to the memorial site for Yang Sun. 

And finally on the injuring time, HJ was shown :wub::wub::wub::wub:. I am really happy. I can finally go sleep tonight. Although I thought YG wanted to ask HJ to take a picture together after some people kept on asking HJ to help them taking photos. However..it's okay as long as HJ is alive, this is enough for me.

@Li22.55 Sadly they will reunite as enemies instead in Kingdom. This is so weird, after being 'soulmate partner' in Jirisan, it becomes enemies. I don't think I can't really see Jun Ji Hyun as a villain. However, I am still excited about this reunion. The chance for male-female lead couples in K-drama to be in same project again rarely happen.

• Love 2

I guess I should be satisfied with a 3min reunion with a sea of people in between them, only eye conversations and a confirmed hint of romance, coming from this writer? Lol! No open ended endings and cliffhangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thank god!but Gosh! She should have given us at least 10mins!! Such a near miss!

Glad for a happy ending for a suspense plot like this!  I guessed a few theories right, whilst some remain a mystery to me. They could have devoted the time on the latter to the reunion lol!!!! Dang!

Theories guessed right:

- Sol is the killer. Officer Kim and commander are not the killers.

- Ending will be into current year, thou they added a 1jan22 sunrise 

- YG ended up being able to walk

- Twigs and leaves back in action

Forever a mystery:

- Too much time spent on lotto girl for no reason

- Yang sun ended up dying by accident

- SG granny died for no reason

- DW died for no reason

Is it a hint for romance between GY and HJ's sister???!!!!  Not sure how HJ feels about that as big brother! Lol! I am glad the writer did not forget about Seung-Ah.... and the guest casting was a surprise!

Overall, i like the plot twists and the time skips! Kept me on my toes each episode (and I did not fast forward a single second, which is a feat!).  Good change in pace from the typical kdrama with mistresses and complicated family drama.  

Nice discussing with all of you bunch of positive and encouraging peeps!  Hope to see ya all again in another thread!! :) Happy holidays!!

@illay Suzy and Seunggi reunited in a second drama, so there is hope! Even a tiny bit! Lol!!  I can't wait to see Kingdom3, I havent watch Ashin, is she really algonna be a villain? Hoping for some plot twist again!!

• Love 1

I watched the episode as soon as it was available on the platform but the ending was not excited as it should be. The only thing I was glad that i didnt spend 16 episodes with HJ die in the end. So.. He survived and they enter 2022 together. 

But, it feels empty. We never see how HJ wakes up to his family. We never see how YG learn to walk again. I dont know if I'll come back to watch again becoz of the mountain.

I continue watching other drama after that with much more satisfying ending. With that, I can sleep better. Maybe I'll wait for Kingdom season 3. Good nite n morning! 

• Like 1

Did we see what happened to Woong-Son? I thought he was being rescued. Did I miss something in today's episode?

@lilsakus, I noticed that hint of romance too. I guess it was just to let us know that he is finally moving on? Idk. It was weird.

I really wish they had focused on Hyun Jo waking up from coma rather than the ranger interview, Yang Sun past romance scenes and rescuing Woong-Son. Also, instead of Kim Sol dying by the mountain, he could have been arrested ... :/

Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger ended like a cliffhanger.

• Like 1

wait..which part confirmed  hint of romance?? Did I miss something? :w00t: @lilsakus

The chance about them getting casted as a romance couple in the future is getting smaller because it will be their third time then. Her character as Ashin can be said similar with Kim Sol. I also wish there will be a plot twist. Maybe She will become a protagonist after realizing that not all the people in Joseon behave like the commander &  his brigade. Probably The Crown Prince's kindness will  changes her perspective? Haha However, With how many innocent people died because of her revenge, I don't see that her character will be spared. She probably somehow will die saving the Crown Prince. A few people wish there will be a romance between Ashin & Crown Prince but a lot of people do not agree about this seeing too many people died because of her and thinking that the idea is disgusting

1 hour ago, lilsakus said:

Is it a hint for romance between GY and HJ's sister???!!!!  Not sure how HJ feels about that as big brother! Lol! I am glad the writer did not forget about Seung-Ah.... and the guest casting was a surprise!

This...Hahaha.. I was thinking the same. That's just too random.

@an-naum I agree that They should have at least showing the scene She was in rehab for several seconds. Although I mentioned it before that in the beginning of the drama , a woman asked YG how was her rehabilitation progress. Nevertheless..1 year is too short to be able to walk normally.

@Sunset.. I think Wong Soon died. As much as I also feel that the interview scene was prolonged too much and should be invested on some other scenes, the writer seems tried to deliver the message She wanted when writing this drama on the dialog that YG conveyed to the lottery girl. On the interview with KEH & double JJH that shared not long ago, I  see several sentences of what She said match with YG's dialog.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, illay said:

After it's shown in the middle of this episode that the man who standing on the peak was Kim Sol, my heart was racing until 5 minutes before the end of episode. I really lost my hope...I was like " OK....HJ must be really died then". I kept on looking at the time remained and wishing the scene where HJ opened his eyes would be shown. :sweatingbullets:

After Kim Sol died, They showed the scenes about GY cherished  his memories with Yang Sun for a long time. I was like "Isn't this too long? There's no left time anymore ..please show our lead's scene" How could this PD showing GY looked at his phone for that long. They even showed the scenery of Jirisan unnecessary when GY came to the memorial site for Yang Sun. 

And finally on the injuring time, HJ was shown :wub::wub::wub::wub:. I am really happy. I can finally go sleep tonight. Although I thought YG wanted to ask HJ to take a picture together after some people kept on asking HJ to help them taking photos. However..it's okay as long as HJ is alive, this is enough for me.

@Li22.55 Sadly they will reunite as enemies instead in Kingdom. This is so weird, after being 'soulmate partner' in Jirisan, it becomes enemies. I don't think I can't really see Jun Ji Hyun as a villain. However, I am still excited about this reunion. The chance for male-female lead couples in K-drama to be in same project again rarely happen.

Quite agree that  more time should have been provided to YG and HJ rather than such a long time between GY and Yang Sun when they were not even the lead.  There were plenty of moments that could have been created from HJ recovering with YG at his side with only a hint of the deep feelings that they have for one another.  More sweet moments as a reward since they went thru so much.  The writer/s denied us this.  In fact, HJ had very little screen time these last episodes - maybe he was no longer available for shooting?

I am so glad it's It's a happy ending! As I had hoped, Yi-gang and Hyun-jo recovered and returned to active duty, protecting the mountain that they love, while the core team is alive and well after the series of horrific events and tragedies of the past two years. The only one that still breaks my heart is JGY as he continues to cherish his memories with LYS, and I ache for the happiness that could have been theirs, should have been theirs if fate had not cruelly intervened.

• Love 1

Jirisan ended with a rating of 9.225% (2.284m viewers), the highest rating since Episode 4.

Here's how the predecessors in the same time slot have ended this year:

Mr. Queen - 17.371% (4.749m)

Vincenzo - 14.636% (3.841m)

Mine (with the reveal of the killer also done at the last episode) - 10.512% (2.429m)

The Devil Judge - 7.96% (1.994m)

Hometown Cha Cha Cha - 12.665% (3.237m)

The other tvN serial that managed to break 10% rating this year is Hospital Playlist S2 with 14.08% (3.853m)

Yes! I think the scene of Seung-Ah offering PPL to GY is like totally random, and supposed to be a comedic relief?  Out of all people there (and there are many), why him? Lol

and yes, regretfully they should have focus on HJ and YG at the ending :( not that Yangsun and GY couple is not important, but too much time devoted for unnecessary scenes.  I find that a problem in this drama - time could have been better spent.  HJ hardly has any scenes in the second half :(  Totally underrated his character.

i think a 5yr gap may  be more suited than a 1year gap. Snowy mountain should be in 2015 instead of 2019, and HJ in a coma for 5 yrs. that will probably have more impact.

@illay hopefully thrice a charm!  Hhaha

• Love 1

@YongZura⁷@illay @lilsakus @Sunset The moment we realise the one we saw standing on Cheonwangbong peak was Kim Sol, my heart sank. Then seeing KHJ disappear before SYG's eyes and her crying in the hospital after that, especially since Kim Sol had not been apprehended just ebbed away at my hope even more. Still, with 5mins left, I searched the crowd until at last, we see the familiar figure in the midst of them. Although we don't see them talking in the end, we know that they have spoken since his recovery.... and the looks they give each other tell us that there is far more between them now. While I would have loved a date scene at Sonbawi Rock, I don't regret that we don't see them interacting prior to this, because it just makes the anticipation and final payoff that much more satisfying, knowing that he did survive, their eyes meeting against the backdrop of a sunrise that heralds a new beginning. Perfect.

I loved that we see JGY's reminiscences... his awkward proposal, her sweet response, his grief that she was no longer around when he finally achieved what he promised he would, and his faithful pilgrimage up to see her even now. From a running joke with his clueless date ideas, it blossomed into a love story that remains unchanging despite the tragic loss... and I ache for him still.

As for the interview, I believe its purpose is twofold - to show that LYS' death was not in vain but has impacted the life of the one she saved who now wishes to pay it forward; and to drive home the foremost role of the rangers which is to ensure the safety of all who are in the mountain, no matter the reason that brought them there. Ultimately, I believe that is the message that KEH wanted to leave with this drama.

Kim Sol was a ranger after all, and not just a historical researcher as I had initially assumed. We now know Officer Kim wrote the incident with the van off as an accident as he was blackmailed by Kim Sol who threatened to expose the fact that his father was culpable in the death of LSW's father. I believe it was only then that he tied it back to the deaths from the migration list. From the looks of it, he definitely did not survive the attack. Did he consider that Kim Sol would also target him in the end?

Never watched Missing Nine but apparently JGY and Seung-A's chance meeting is an easter egg from that drama which OJS and LSB were a part of. Was it really a hint of romance? No idea... though I know I would want to see JGY finally move on and find happiness in his life too.

Love the Ep15-16 BTS... thank you @YongZura⁷ It just drives home the fact that the drama is over, and how I am still not ready to let them go.

The official MV for "Always with You" for JGY and LYS's love story... which just makes me tear up again...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Sad that Jirisan already ended.

Happy with the ending. The final scene is sooo beautiful although I’m hoping more scenes with the main leads. :mellow:

Some unnecessary scene/OST, flashbacks upon flashbacks. Things happened I didn’t want to further comment on this.

I’m just happy with Hyun Jo being alive. Yi Gang can walk again. Park Il Hae, Gu Yeong and Jo Dae Jin is still alive.

Writernimmmm, I’m pretending that you didn’t give more romance in Jirisan because you just testing the water.. and the romance will continue  in the Kingdom 3:D *wishful thinking here* 

Edited by Hajungjihyun
  • Love 3