[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

Both tvN’s “Jirisan” and JTBC’s “Inspector Koo” saw a boost in their ratings for their respective finales!

On December 12, “Jirisan” ended on a significant rise in viewership for its final episode, which scored an average nationwide rating of 9.2 percent. Notably, the mystery drama’s series finale marked the first time that it managed to break past 9 percent since the second week of its run back in October.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/jirisan-and-inspector-koo-finales-see-ratings-rise-uncle-and-the-king-of-tears-lee-bang-won-ratings-increased-for-2nd-episode/#ixzz7EtThhtxk

• Like 2

@BlizzardistkaputtMe..raising hand :D
I even did a short research about the available tracks. I read there are 2 tracks that can be reached in 2.5-3 hours.
Actually before pandemic, each time I visited South Korea for travelling in autumn season, I always did hiking at least twice to different mountains. I have never been to Jirisan because it's on Southern region. Too much time & expenses needed to go to the Southern from the capital.

I read the news that The regional government of Namwon city will use Jirisan drama as a tourist marketing.
https://m.k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065602269512868
They will build infrastructures(ranger theme park, etc) on the shooting locations. I don't know when it will be finished. I think I will just wait for some of the infrastructures finished before visiting Jirisan.

@liddi Haha..so I was not the only one who's surprised that the man standing on the peak is Kim Sol. I regret that I spent last half of the episode in anxiety mode. I will re-watch it again tonight or tomorrow with an ease of heart.
I am actually bothered with LSW's phone used as evidence. HJ was the one who found it when searching for the items left after the flood accident. How could the phone stranded there though?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Watch: “Jirisan” Cast Bid Farewell To The Drama + Cast And Crew Climb The Mountain At Sunrise For Final Filming

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 13, 2021
by C. Hong

tvN has shared the last behind-the-scenes video from the drama “Jirisan,” as well as closing comments from the cast.

Written by Kim Eun Hee (“Signal,” “Kingdom”), “Jirisan” is a mystery drama about rangers at Mount Jiri National Park who uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents on the mountain.

In one video, the key rangers of the show, played by Jun Ji Hyun, Joo Ji Hoon, Sung Dong Il, Oh Jung Se, and Jo Han Chul, shared their closing comments on the drama.

Jun Ji Hyun said, “As for my closing comments… I really can’t believe it. In one way, it was such a long filming process that I often wondered when it would end. Our first filming for ‘Jirisan’ really took place on Mount Jiri. Back then, just like now, the forest was green. We saw the leaves fall and the winter pass by, and filming is now coming to an end as the trees are turning green again. It was challenging, and fun, and we made more memories compared to other dramas. I am grateful to the staff and I want to congratulate myself as well on finishing such a memorable project.”

Oh Jung Se said, “We’re wrapping up on 10 months of filming ‘Jirisan.’ It’s a relief that the cast and crew finished filming safely without any major accidents. I had fun on set thanks to the director and his brilliant work. I wasn’t very familiar with mountains, but as I filmed, it felt like the mountain was speaking to me, telling me to rest, embracing me. There were so many places where I was awestruck by the view. Personally, I had a lot of interesting experiences. Thank you for showing your support and love for the drama.”

Sung Dong Il said, “I realized anew that there are many amazing places in Korea. All four seasons appear in our drama. We started in the heat of summer, filmed scenes in drifts of snow, and created a story that went beyond imagination.” He joked, “While filming this drama called ‘Jirisan’… I came to hate mountains. The staff had to do so much work! They had to lug all that gear up to the top of the mountain. I think that probably a lot of the staff hate mountains now too. But the drama is fun! To the viewers, please continue to show your love and support for us so that the actors, director, writer, and production staff can take heart until the end. Thank you.”

Jo Han Chul said, “For ‘Jirisan,’ we went all over the country and spent a lot of time together like a family. It’s a relief to think that our long filming process was rewarded by the results of our work. I worked with director Lee Eung Bok for the first time on this drama. I’d always looked forward to working with him someday, but it happened sooner than I thought, so I was happy. Thank you for making such a happy set. I hope that the beautiful Mount Jiri will remain in people’s hearts for a long time thanks to ‘Jirisan.'”

Joo Ji Hoon said, “If you include the time I spent talking with the writer, before we’d started filming, I’d been preparing and working on ‘Jirisan’ for over a year and six months. Of all the projects I’ve ever done, this one is the longest. We went all over the country and shared our joys and sorrows with each other and the staff. This drama is 16 episodes, and there are times when I watch the director and editors put together the results over their shoulders, and I remember each and every scene. Where we filmed, around what time, and what I felt during the scene. It’s fascinating. We worked really hard to bring the story to life, and I’m curious to see whether that will show onscreen.

The drama also unveiled the behind-the-scenes video from the filming of episodes 15 and 16. This includes Lee Sun Bin’s cameo as Joo Ji Hoon’s little sister. Lee Sun Bin appears on set to film her short conversation with Jun Ji Hyun’s character and reveals that her first kiss scene as an actor was with Oh Jung Se. Jun Ji Hyun reacts with playful horror and says, “What? Really?” She then gives her “advice” as a senior actor, joking, “You can’t do stuff like that.”

In one scene filmed on the mountain, Sung Dong Il and Jun Ji Hyun battle swarms of mosquitoes to get the right shot. Another scene appears in the drama to take place on a dangerous mountain road with landslides, but the behind-the-scenes video reveals that to ensure the safety of the cast and crew, the car was on set surrounded by rain machines and screens and the production staff moved the car with their own strength to imitate the shaking and sharp turns of the mountain road.

The video concludes with the final scene from the drama: the hikers who climb to the top of the mountain to watch the first sunrise of the new year and the rangers who keep the hikers from getting too close to the dangerous edge. This scene was actually filmed on the mountain and all the cast and crew had to hike up with their gear with head lamps to make their way in the dark. After filming wraps up, the cast and crew take a photo together at Cheonwangbong Peak.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1503576wpp/watch-jirisan-cast-bid-farewell-to-the-drama-cast-and-crew-climb-the-mountain-at-sunrise-for-final-filming

• Love 2
  • Awesome 1

5 hours ago, larus said:

The drama also unveiled the behind-the-scenes video from the filming of episodes 15 and 16. This includes Lee Sun Bin’s cameo as Joo Ji Hoon’s little sister. Lee Sun Bin appears on set to film her short conversation with Jun Ji Hyun’s character and reveals that her first kiss scene as an actor was with Oh Jung Se. Jun Ji Hyun reacts with playful horror and says, “What? Really?” She then gives her “advice” as a senior actor, joking, “You can’t do stuff like that.”

Thank you @larus Now we know why we had the easter egg in Ep16 between the two of them!

So the final scene was filmed on-site. The BTS just goes to show how much efforts the cast and production team put into the making of the drama. Joo Ji-hoon sounds particularly emotionally attached to it.

22 hours ago, illay said:

I am actually bothered with LSW's phone used as evidence. HJ was the one who found it when searching for the items left after the flood accident. How could the phone stranded there though?

@illay Good point about LSW's phone. It was never explained but it could have been dropped in the mountain when he was killed, and the flood swept it out to the riverbank. My 2 cents.

Good to know you'll be able to rewatch at ease! Am thinking of revisiting the drama from the beginning again... but lately time has not been my friend. We shall see. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This one has English sub. iQiyi just uploaded it today.

It needs several days to go to Cheonwang Peak on the last scene. It seems that They  spent a night on the nearest shelter. From the nearest shelter to Cheonwang peak, it needs 40 minutes. I have no idea whether They went to the shelter by Helicopter or not. The effort They did to film Jirisan is astonishing :o

• Love 1
  • Awesome 1

@illay It is evident from BTSes and interviews just how much work went into the filming of the drama, both for the cast and crew. Jun Ji-hyun mentioned in a separate interview how black water came out of her nose whenever she showered while filming the forest fire scene for several days. On a separate note, am I the only one who find her the most beautiful and luminous in this drama compared to her previous works?

The drama really nailed SYG and KHJ's relationship, keeping me invested in them. It will take some readjusting to think of them going head to head in Kingdom S3. Can't wait though.

The official MV for Always with You just makes me tear up again over JGY and LYS's tragic love story...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@liddi yes, I remember the story She told.

I personally like her the most on the flash back time. The straight bangs really suits her, It made her looked sweeter. I think this is her first time having a straight bangs on her career.

Not a fan of her hair style on the present time because the stylist used hair straightener, making the hair looked too flat so She  looked even more skinnier.  It seems that She keeps on losing the fat on her face each time She appears on a new drama.

Anyway this is trivial but Do you realize that She got her upper 2 front teeth aligned?:D I rarely can see her teeth clearly on her 2 previous dramas

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, liddi said:

@illay It is evident from BTSes and interviews just how much work went into the filming of the drama, both for the cast and crew. Jun Ji-hyun mentioned in a separate interview how black water came out of her nose whenever she showered while filming the forest fire scene for several days. On a separate note, am I the only one who find her the most beautiful and luminous in this drama compared to her previous works?

The drama really nailed SYG and KHJ's relationship, keeping me invested in them. It will take some readjusting to think of them going head to head in Kingdom S3. Can't wait though.

Sorry to cut your post. Is it confirm that Jun Ji Hyun will join in Kingdom 3? If based on the Kingdom 2 and Ashin, Lee Chang and Seo Bi supposedly meet Ashin since they are searching for the source of the reincarnation plant. 

Ashin travels to Joseon where she gave the flower to the King’s doctor, which later gets infected. 

i can’t wait to see their another project after Jirisan. Their chemistry in Jirisan is really good.

and yes. Jun Ji Hyun is still beautiful. I love her bangs actually. Really suits her

7 minutes ago, Hajungjihyun said:

Sorry to cut your post. Is it confirm that Jun Ji Hyun will join in Kingdom 3? If based on the Kingdom 2 and Ashin, Lee Chang and Seo Bi supposedly meet Ashin since they are searching for the source of the reincarnation plant. 

@Hajungjihyun We have not had any official announcements regarding Kingdom S3 yet. However, based on what we have seen, the main drama timeline should be linear, while the special episodes (Ashin, Crown Prince - if it does materialise) are side stories that delve back into their respective pasts. As such, S3 would continue after the events of S2, particularly with Yi Chang and Seo Bi coming across the zombies Ashin had created. I really can't wait to see them again in Kingdom with markedly different dynamics compared to Jirisan.

@illay @Hajungjihyun Love her looks in all timelines... her overall styling and make-up is minimal but so good on her. And of course, this look of hers is my favourite... since she radiates happiness at last :wub:

Eagerly waiting for the official soundtrack album to be released... though what I have seen advertised doesn't seem to include the instrumental pieces, which is disappointing. Hope that is not the case...

• Like 2

I finally finish it yesterday. I really enjoy the concept of the drama.

However the last episodes felt like they rushed it. It looks like the writer was out of time and rush it

The begining was slow, and may be they should have make it a little bit faster.

OI did not get why they loose time over a romance that we saw in like 3 or 4 episodes. JSO and JMK were 2 secondary character. JMK was not always in the episodes. SO I do not get why they start a romance between this 2. Also they losyt 5 long min with them at the end of ep 16, while she is dead. while there were better things to show like JJH and JJH talk or how they recovered.

It looks like the writer was lost between the story of the Black Bridge Valey/Murder and showing people story, why they go to Mount Jiri.

And we have to be honest who find a lottery ticket 1 years after loosing it in the forest. Between the rain, the snow, this paper should not even have ink lol

• Like 2

Jirisan's full album, including 23 instrumental tracks have been released! Among my favourites are Dark Forest (track 16), 그 해 우리는 사랑을 했다 (track 19), Pain (track 23), 그때에 우린 (track 34). And of course, 그곳에 오르면 (track 13) which introduced us to Jirisan, amidst Ryu Seung-ryong's narration. Miss them...

• Love 2

• 1 month later...

5 Reasons “Jirisan” Is A New Kind Of Disaster Drama

5 Reasons “Jirisan” Is A New Kind Of Disaster Drama

Feb 6, 2022
by shalini

Jirisan” wrapped up its run last year but continues to be memorable in how it redefined the disaster drama genre. Most disaster dramas focus on city-wide phenomenon, like “D-Day” and “Designated Survivor: 60 Days,” or national catastrophes, manmade or supernatural, like “Dark Hole” and “Sweet Home.” However, “Jirisan” combines both nature, man, and a force in between to create a slow-burn compelling story of a mountain and the inhabitants of the small town that lives in its shadow.

Seo Yi Gang (Jun Ji Hyun) is the best ranger at Jirisan National Park. She knows every nook and cranny of the mountain (and those of the neighboring mountain range) and has a great respect for the lives it saves and those it takes away. Enter Kang Hyun Jo (Joo Ji Hoon), a newbie ranger and former military captain, whose reserved air hides an eerie secret. Yi Gang is partnered with Hyun Jo, but as she teaches the new ranger the ropes, she comes to realize that all is not what it seems with him and with the mountain itself. When people start to disappear on Mount Jiri, somehow only Hyun Jo seems to know who will vanish next and how. When tragedy strikes, Yi Gang has to race against time to solve the mystery of Mount Jiri before she and Hyun Jo become its next victims.

If that premise doesn’t intrigue you enough, here are five reasons to binge-watch this drama!

Note: This is a spoiler-free review!

1. The mighty Mount Jiri itself

n addition to our two main leads, “Jirisan” has a main character that doesn’t have any lines but occupies the whole show: the titular mountain. It’s the second tallest mountain in South Korea, and it certainly appears it. For a drama featuring rangers, the bulk of the show involves some beautiful scenery that evokes appreciation for the majesty of Mount Jiri.

In general, the show treats nature with reverence but also with caution. The mountain is depicted as a place of wonder, an ancient guardian of sorts, standing tall despite the passage of time. However, the rugged terrain isn’t easy or accommodating, and every action a human takes on the mountain has consequences. Land without human intervention is raw and unbroken, and it does what it wants regardless of the consequences. This lesson is taught time and time again as people run afoul of the mountain, convinced that the land is there for them to take from and that they are entitled to it.

mount-jiri.jpg

2. Jun Ji Hyun’s physical performance as Seo Yi Gang

Jun Ji Hyun isn’t afraid to delve deep into action with this role. This isn’t one of those roles where a supposed cop or athlete (or someone working a highly physical role) primps and preens all day. Seo Yi Gang barely has time for makeup, has no time for dating, and is devoted to her job, for better or worse. She strides up and down the mountains searching for lost or missing people on a regular basis, and she looks it too. Heavy gear, sweaty features, running and diving like her life depends on it, Jun Ji Hyun is at her peak in a raw, simmering performance as a woman who both hates and respects the mountain she walks through everyday.

Yi Gang’s role evolves as the drama goes on, requiring a very different kind of physical performance by Jun Ji Hyun. It’s a 180 degree switch from her performances in “My Love From the Star” and “The Legend of the Blue Sea.” Yi Gang is grouchy, but she’s always receptive to feedback, is competent, but a team player above all. She makes for a great character, and it’s a delight to see her in action.

3. The supporting cast

Yi Gang’s role evolves as the drama goes on, requiring a very different kind of physical performance by Jun Ji Hyun. It’s a 180 degree switch from her performances in “My Love From the Star” and “The Legend of the Blue Sea.” Yi Gang is grouchy, but she’s always receptive to feedback, is competent, but a team player above all. She makes for a great character, and it’s a delight to see her in action.

4. The crises faced by the rangers

We’ve seen earthquakes and zombies and mutant viruses in dramas before, but “Jirisan” takes it to a different level. Every element known to mankind seems to attack these beleaguered rangers. There are floods, landslides, wildfires, and snowstorms. Nothing and no one is safe from nature, and on Mount Jiri, nature reigns supreme. But people keep trying to get the best of it. Our main duo face illegal poachers, herb-gatherers who can’t take no for an answer, and litterers causing all manner of damage. On top of that, there’s the rash of people going missing and being found dead on the mountain, so there’s a heightened level of suspense and fear there. The mountain isn’t safe as is, but what happens when there’s something or someone making it worse? It sounds insane, but the events come off as actually quite logical, which is a testament to writer Kim Eun Hee’s talent. We follow the rangers through every season so it makes sense that they would navigate all forms of difficulty.

5. The OST

It’s hard to imagine what sort of music would fit an atmospheric show about mountains and mystery. However, BTS’s Jin focuses on the human element to bring to life a song of heartache and longing that makes perfect sense in many contexts within the show. It’s the perfect theme for the show, encapsulating its wistfulness and the quiet beauty of the mountain. The entire soundtrack for “Jirisan” is pretty bang on, but this one really hits it out of the park and is a must-listen and guaranteed favorite for many a rainy day.

And that wraps up the top reasons for watching “Jirisan.” If you’re still wondering about whether you should give it a shot, debate no more! Stuffed with likable characters, beautiful scenery, lots of heart and a thrilling mystery to boot, this drama isn’t perfect, but it is a perfect blend of every element. It makes for a satisfying watch at the end of the day and will likely have you smiling, gaping, and even shedding a few tears. You won’t regret it!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1498756wpp/5-reasons-jirisan-is-a-new-kind-of-disaster-drama