[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

20 minutes ago, ferily said:

Where are people watching Jirisan? I checked Viki and it says that it’s available on October 28th… Didnt the first episode come out already? How come the first episode is coming out on October 28th on Viki?

I'm watching it on iQIYI - signed up speciflcally for it. It airs fully subbed the same time as South Korea. tvN Asia broadcasts it 24 hours later, so those who subscribe to the channel would be able to watch it tonight.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Wow that is what I call a tremendous first episode. Beautifully shot, amazing cast, and not one filler moment! So many things caught me off guarded, especially the supernatural touch and the current condition of both leads! The story is also a solid mystery! 

I miss hiking in these kinds of autumn forest but due to my own terrible experiences of camping when I was younger, I am quite afraid. But watching this show makes me hope I can do it again one day. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 3
  • Blob 1

Jun Ji Hyun And Joo Ji Hoon Set Out On Their Own Investigations In “Jirisan”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 24, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s “Jirisan” has released new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

Spoilers

In the first episode, viewers were shocked to see Seo Yi Kang appear in a wheelchair in the year 2020, two years after the accident. Kang Hyun Jo, who saw the death of the victims in an illusion, was also revealed to be in a coma, leading viewers to conclude that a horrific accident had occurred in the past.

The new stills reveal Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo in 2018, where they have yet to put the pieces of the accident together. Rather than heading to the mountain as would be the typical course of action for national park rangers, Seo Yi Kang is headed to the police station with Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se). Upon receiving some documents from Kim Woong Soon (Jeon Suk Ho), Seo Yi Kang’s features cloud over with an air of seriousness.

Meanwhile, Jung Goo Young peers over Kim Woong Soon’s shoulder in an intent manner, but his somewhat childlike movement also evokes a sense of comedic relief in the midst of the tense atmosphere created by the unresolved mystery.

Jun-Ji-Hyun1.jpeg

Spoiler

Oh-Jung-Se-Jeon-Suk-Ho.jpeg

In another set of stills, Kang Hyun Jo has all the determination of a rookie wanting to prove himself as he sets out alone on his search. The sky behind him and the distant mountain ridges prove the dizzying height to which he has ascended, but he remains steadfast and focused on his destination. As Kang Hyun Jo extends his hand between the boulders, his surprised expression leads viewers to wonder what he could have discovered.

It remains to be seen what could have happened to the perfect team of Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo, as well as why he is setting out on a search alone.

Joo-Ji-Hoon1.jpeg

Spoiler

Joo-Ji-Hoon-11.jpeg

The next episode of “Jirisan” airs on October 24 at 9 p.m. KST.

• Like 2

Aigoo.... I wanna like this drama because it features Ju Ji Hoon oppa and Jun Ji Hyun, but the first episode left me underwhelmed... :grimace:

The CG effects are :smashes:

b0TSjZeMSHGETHMBw3_rjFzF3lBXdLrd_ZMFdPVw

6oMJQDDCKdyasfiNinR766bAxhvsov8_x-fXiXGh

Seriously, what's going one here?

img_20211024141629_b39ecc46.webp

Spoiler

200.gif

Other than that, I disliked the shaky camera work and frequent closeups. It made the drama feel more like a horror movie tbh. And I was not prepared that there was a supernatural element to the story.

We got no introduction to the characters in the first episode, and that's why I felt really emotionally detached with regard to their fates at the end of ep 1.

I also felt that some of the scenes showing the rescuers taking very big risks was totally unrealistic. Why are the rescuers even rock climbing when they're trying to save a boy who went hiking without any gear. How do they think that a boy would have climbed up a wall with no gear in the first place?

Spoiler

anchorman ron burgandy GIF

Sorry to be a party pooper (instead of a partyon - lol), but I was shocked that a drama with a huge budget like this one and with high profile names tied to it produced this drivel. :unamused:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I think there's nothing supernatural about the story (just a clever way to make the viewers always guessing).

Here are my thoughts:

1. Possible Villains are Sung Dong Il (Chief Ranger JDJ) and Oh Jung Se (present day Team Lead JGY) and its something along the lines of OJS is the one changing the yellow ribbons to intentionally get climbers lost. He's getting the instructions from the chief. I mean if there are lost hikers then that means continuous work/funding for the ranger program. The character profile for OJS says he takes his timeoff seriously, goes home on time etc. With that he's got enough time to go to the mountains and take those yellow ribbons off.

Side Comment: OJS would probably not have taken this role if he was just a sidekick ranger. Looks like he's the only one alive/stillon duty in 2020, so I'm guessing the other rangers will die between 2019 and 2020.

2. The KHJ in the hospital is a fake one (re: they got someone who looks like him and forced him into a coma). Back in 2019, he must have found out about the 2 (JDJ and JGY) conniving so they tried to get rid of him and SYG. KHJ was severely injured but was able to somehow run away. JDJ and JGY do not want a search and rescue ops for KHJ thinking he'd eventually die so they looked for a doppleganger and made it look like KHJ is in a coma. So the one giving signals is the true KHJ who has been wondering in Jirisan since 2019. For the visionsn he's probably really a psychic or something. In his character profile it says that something happened to him in the military that's connected to Jirisan and that's what convinced him to be a ranger. So his psychic abilities might be tied to whatever that trauma/experience is.

• Insightful 2

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

but honestly, they need to stop taking solo (rescue?) missions, hyonjo and yikang both. i'm getting tired of that. no wonder the rest of the team is fed up with the antics of those two. they endanger not only themselves, but everyone else. 

I'm not sure if i have the stomach to suffer more tomfoolery. jirisan so far has not impressed me. but november is a quiet kdrama month, so i guess i am still there for the ride - until it gets too much. 

this drama is unrealistic, and i don't speak about the sudden supernatural elements, but the unnecessary risk-taking. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NhicarT said:

I think there's nothing supernatural about the story (just a clever way to make the viewers always guessing).

Here are my thoughts:

1. Possible Villains are Sung Dong Il (Chief Ranger JDJ) and Oh Jung Se (present day Team Lead JGY) and its something along the lines of OJS is the one changing the yellow ribbons to intentionally get climbers lost. He's getting the instructions from the chief. I mean if there are lost hikers then that means continuous work/funding for the ranger program. The character profile for OJS says he takes his timeoff seriously, goes home on time etc. With that he's got enough time to go to the mountains and take those yellow ribbons off.

Side Comment: OJS would probably not have taken this role if he was just a sidekick ranger. Looks like he's the only one alive/stillon duty in 2020, so I'm guessing the other rangers will die between 2019 and 2020.

2. The KHJ in the hospital is a fake one (re: they got someone who looks like him and forced him into a coma). Back in 2019, he must have found out about the 2 (JDJ and JGY) conniving so they tried to get rid of him and SYG. KHJ was severely injured but was able to somehow run away. JDJ and JGY do not want a search and rescue ops for KHJ thinking he'd eventually die so they looked for a doppleganger and made it look like KHJ is in a coma. So the one giving signals is the true KHJ who has been wondering in Jirisan since 2019. For the visionsn he's probably really a psychic or something. In his character profile it says that something happened to him in the military that's connected to Jirisan and that's what convinced him to be a ranger. So his psychic abilities might be tied to whatever that trauma/experience is.

I just finished Ep 2 and can see how your theories are plausible. Honestly with all the appearances of the hooded, cloaked figure in the trailers, I thought they wouldn't reveal his identity this soon.

56 minutes ago, agenth said:

they need to stop taking solo (rescue?) missions, hyonjo and yikang both.

Agreed. Not very wise.

I wish we could see more of Jo Han Cheol...all he did today was eat ramen.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, NhicarT said:

Here are my thoughts:

Eh the Chief is Fishy , it's like countries hiding the fact aliens/ufo exist lol. We have ribbons tied in a certain way in certain color indicating something ontop of twigs. OJS being the only present ranger there also raises alarm bells but again let's see. Chief being fishy is getting too obvious, I mean if Jirisan is aiming for a mystery why put the hints that visible on your face?

Regarding something happened to him in Military related to Jirisan that led to getting him psychic visions seems a Plausible Plot because there have been some studies done on these <Near death experience changes brain wiring>.OOOO What's next then...

• Like 1

“Jirisan” Ratings Rise For 2nd Episode + “Young Lady And Gentleman” Breaks 30 Percent For New All-Time High

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 25, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s new drama “Jirisan” is on the rise!

After premiering to the highest viewership ratings of any weekend drama in tvN history the night before, Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon‘s new series broke into the double digits for its second episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the October 24 broadcast of “Jirisan” scored an average nationwide rating of 10.7 percent, marking a significant jump in viewership from its first episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1495133wpp/jirisan-ratings-rise-for-2nd-episode-young-lady-and-gentleman-breaks-30-percent-for-new-all-time-high

tvN Has Another Hit on its Hands as Sat-Sun Outdoor Action Drama Jirisan Breaks 10% Ratings in Second Episode

http://koalasplayground.com/2021/10/24/tvn-has-another-hit-on-its-hands-as-sat-sun-outdoor-action-drama-jirisan-breaks-10-ratings-in-second-episode/

• Like 1

Watch: “Jirisan” Shows Off Elaborate Set And Cast’s Close Chemistry During Filming

Watch: “Jirisan” Shows Off Elaborate Set And Cast’s Close Chemistry During Filming

Oct 28, 2021
by S. Cho

tvN’s “Jirisan” has shared an exciting new behind-the-scenes video!

Written by Kim Eun Hee, tvN’s “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as Kang Hyun Jo, her rookie partner who is hiding an unspeakable secret. The drama follows the rangers at the national park as they uncover the truth behind a mysterious accident that occurred on the mountain.

The new clip starts out by introducing the drama’s incredible set and revealing that the drama’s production period was one year and seven months, with a total of around 250 staff members.

In the first scene, Sung Dong Il’s improvisations make the entire cast have to stifle their laughter, with Jun Ji Hyun even having to cover her face so she doesn’t ruin the take. Later, Jun Ji Hyun is filming a scene where she’s going through files on the computer. Sung Dong Il approaches her and asks, “What are you doing?” When she stares back at him blankly, he adds, “Are you gaming?” causing even the director to start laughing.

They try the scene again, and this time, Jun Ji Hyun jokingly responds with a smile, “Can’t you see?” Sung Dong Il remarks with a laugh, “I wish the drama were this bright and cheerful.”

Next, both Jun Ji Hyun and Joo Ji Hoon film high-intensity scenes that show off the elaborate sets used for “Jirisan.” In another scene, Joo Ji Hoon is coming down from the mountain on a rope when he jumps and lands awkwardly in a spot far away from the area he was aiming for. However, he optimistically adds with a bright smile, “[Kang Hyun Jo] shouldn’t be too good [on his first day] anyway.”

Near the end, actor Ryu Seung Ryong arrives to film his cameo appearance and introduces his character as the director of the Mount Jiri Exhibition. He comments, “I read the script, and I think it’ll be very fun. Although it’s a small role, it’s such an honor to participate in this project with writer Kim Eun Hee, PD Lee Eung Bok, and actors Joo Ji Hoon, Jun Ji Hyun, Oh Jung Se, and Sung Dong Il, all of whom I respect.”

Watch the full clip below!

cr. Soompi

• Like 3

Jirisan: Episode 1

by citrusorangeee

https://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/jirisan1-00554.jpg

Our protagonist is thrust into a search mission on his first day as a Jirisan park ranger. Faced with the unpredictable nature of the mountain, our park rangers find themselves in a dilemma. With a typhoon raging around them, can they find their missing person–or are they risking their lives for someone who’s already dead?

EPISODE 1 RECAP

At the Baekdudaegan Ecological Education Museum, a man holds a presentation on Jirisan (cameo by Ryu Seung-ryong). He describes the ambivalent nature of the mountain–it alternates between bringing hope and death to its visitors. The segment concludes with the presenter describing Jirisan as a “land between this world and the next.”

It’s the year 2018, and KANG HYUN-JO (Joo Ji-Hoon) arrives at the ranger station for his first day at work. However, everything is chaotic, with park rangers frantically preparing to leave. He’s able to catch JO DAE-JIN’s (Sung Dong-il) attention, but before he can formally introduce himself, Dae-jin instructs him to follow park ranger JUNG GU-YOUNG (Oh Jung-se) on a mission to find a missing boy.

As the commander of the station, Dae-jin tracks the rangers’ progress and plans their next moves from the control room, replete with aerial maps and CCTV feeds. The missing hiker is a 14-year-old boy by the name of Yeom Seung-hoon. He was last seen wearing a middle school uniform with a sky blue backpack, and it’s known he was bullied at school. Dae-jin has the park rangers search based on where the boy’s phone last had signal. As the boy left without proper hiking gear, Dae-jin estimates that the golden time of safety is around 30 hours. With 23 hours having passed, the situation is dire.

jirisan1-00040.jpg

Out in the field, Hyun-jo witnesses firsthand how dangerous climbing Jirisan can be. As several rangers rappel down a cliff, a rock slide sends the rangers scrambling for cover. A ranger gets hit square in the head and he hangs in the air, unconscious and defenseless. Before any rocks can inflict greater damage, a female ranger quickly rappels down and gets him down safely. Their ranger colleagues carry him away to an ambulance.

That skilled female ranger is SEO YI-KANG (Jeon Ji-hyun), and Gu-young splits the group off by having her work with Hyun-jo. Before he leaves, Gu-young warns Hyun-jo to be careful around her as she’s infamous–her nickname is Demon Seo. Yi-kang advises Hyun-jo to stay close as it’s procedure to stay in pairs, but if he can’t keep up, she has no qualms leaving him behind.

Meanwhile, Dae-jin gets more news about an incoming typhoon. Now even the weather isn’t on their side.

Yi-kang quickly moves from one location to the next, with Hyun-jo struggling behind her. Eventually, Hyun-jo finds out that they’ve been searching around well-known suicide spots. When he asks if they’re looking for someone who’s already dead, Yi-kang snaps at him. The boy could still be alive, and their job is to make sure he’s saved before he dies. Hyun-jo is momentarily surprised by her response but then gives the tiniest smile. He calls out for Yi-kang to wait up and hurries after her.

The weather continues to worsen, and in no time at all the rangers look like they’re wading through a river rather than hiking up a mountain. At the station, Dae-jin gets report after report of impassable trails and rangers having to retreat to shelter.

The missing boy’s grandma arrives and, not wanting to worry her further, Dae-jin turns down the volume of his walkie-talkie. They take her to the night duty room so she can rest–and to keep her out of earshot.

jirisan1-00069.jpg

Outside, thunder rumbles and flashes of lightning flicker. Hyun-jo loses his balance in the rain and rolls down a slope. When he finds his balance, he notices a blue backpack, the one Seung-hoon was known to carry. Yi-kang reports this to Dae-jin and tells him that the boy isn’t here. Within a notebook inside the bag, Hyun-jo finds a photo of the boy and (presumably) his parents at a wildflower habitat in Jirisan.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/jirisan-episode-1/