[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Romance of Tiger and Rose 传闻中的陈芊芊

pad-hari

https://lianabrooks.tumblr.com/post/621462062871265280/costume-genius-the-romance-of-tiger-and-rose

Interesting commentary on costumes.

I mean, we realise that HS wears black when he gets angry, battle mode or the arc where he was heartbroken and being cruel (well, trying his best to be cruel) to QQ.

I didn't think about the costumes of the other characters.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

15 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

https://lianabrooks.tumblr.com/post/621462062871265280/costume-genius-the-romance-of-tiger-and-rose

I mean, we realise that HS wears black when he gets angry, battle mode or the arc where he was heartbroken and being cruel (well, trying his best to be cruel) to QQ.

I noticed they gave Lusi the color red when during important points of the story. I also like how in the end she wore red to see Mr. Han. It plays on the Rose aspect of the story. Also bai ji wears black when Han Shuo goes dark lol

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, Ming said:

Missing the drama & all the characters in it....

I feel so sad with this music hehe..specially now that TROTR has ended. I feel so empty, I just work so hard to forget..Wonder whats the title but I just downloaded it in Youtube. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pamela Amba said:

I feel so sad with this music hehe..specially now that TROTR has ended. I feel so empty, I just work so hard to forget..Wonder whats the title but I just downloaded it in Youtube. Thanks.

I know what you mean, I feel bored and empty too. And sometimes I rewatch my favourite scenes to keep me company. There's no new videos, BTS or fanmeets too. :nonono:

• Sad 4

20 hours ago, gladiolii said:

No offense to anyone who's a fan of Yu Zheng or this reality show, but I can't even imagine LS in a YZ production. Everything I've seen with his name attached had storylines with no logic (Untouchable Lovers, Hao Lan). The only decent ones that come to mind are Winter Begonia and Yanxi Palace, and if anything that credit belongs to the scriptwriter and director. LS might have been slotted into a side character even if she had stayed, since that is never guaranteed with a reality show--and it would have most likely been a subpar script.

YZ is controversial, copies/plagiarizes and has his share of antis but he can produce really good dramas and his artistes do quite well. If he has produce absolute rubbish I would agree with you but  Yanxi Palace is still one of my fav Chinese drama. Even 宫 (Palace? gong?) that starred Yang Mi was quite an entertaining watch  even if it was like a rip off version of Bubujingxin... so yeah it must have been hard for ZLS to drop out of the show but aren’t we all glad that she did. 

YX appearing in Chuang 2020 in case anyone is interested:  

The show, DYX and ZLS also did well in another ranking - the show was ranked number one in terms of hashtags (I think, Chinese not that good ha), and DYX ranked second behind Dilireba for another stars ranking, while ZLS was number 5:

https://k.sina.cn/article_6361119753_17b26fc0900100o8c9.html?from=ent&subch=tv

• Like 7

I, for one, am glad that she got the role of CQQ!

Like DYX said during that 'epilogue which was actually a post-interview after their fanmeet'  - only she can be CQQ.

It makes me wonder who are the other 4 actresses who auditioned for the role.

And correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like she was casted already and then they looked for a male lead?

Since it was mentioned he only meet ZLS the first time when he had to act out HS with ZLS?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chsaf said:

I know what you mean, I feel bored and empty too. And sometimes I rewatch my favourite scenes to keep me company. There's no new videos, BTS or fanmeets too. 

2 hours ago, Pamela Amba said:

I feel so empty, I just work so hard to forget..Wonder whats the title but I just downloaded it in Youtube. Thanks.

I started playing Animal Crossing and omg it’s so addictive so that’s filling the ROTAR void. 

Didn’t manage to pick up any shows that draws me in to continue watching to the end.  But am tempted to try You Are My Destiny once the full series is released.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

I, for one, am glad that she got the role of CQQ!

Like DYX said during that 'epilogue which was actually a post-interview after their fanmeet'  - only she can be CQQ.

It makes me wonder who are the other 4 actresses who auditioned for the role.

And correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like she was casted already and then they looked for a male lead?

Since it was mentioned he only meet ZLS the first time when he had to act out HS with ZLS?

Yes, she was casted first and then she had to go for screen tests with various male actors. She acted out the same scene like 40 times with different actors. She mentioned it in an earlier interview which I’d translated some snippets in this thread. But can’t find my posting... 

• Like 5

On 6/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, Adidaem said:

Another ZLX interview, this one sounds even more interesting when I scanned through:

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s?__biz=MjM5Njk4Mjk4NA==&mid=2653109254&idx=1&sn=a1c4befc8586e2cd537dc1dfe3c3a397&chksm=bd3765a18a40ecb7701b8de6507889a3c13516b84b9deff9d2ed18792ba03e9c6582d94af8e3&token=1308758786&lang=zh_CN#rd

E.g. she accepted ROTAR role as she had no other choices/offer at that time 

Edit: 

Finished reading this interview and it’s really quite good. Some more factoids...

- There were 5 actresses in the final shortlist for FL and  ZLS went for 3 auditions before getting the role 

- After she was selected she had to do screen test with the potential ML. The scene used is the one where HS prepped a feast for QQ after her house was ransacked by Lingqi. She acted the scene over 40 times with the various actors. When it was finally time to act the scene for real, the director asked if she can still eat/will she vomit. 

- In this and most of her previous projects, it was the only drama available. No one approached her for other drama/roles. And she had to audition for all the drama to get the roles. So it may seem like she has been very lucky to always have acting projects but she worked for all of them. 

- Her team previewed the show and didn’t think it will be a hit. 
- When she first debuted, she was in a variety show where she didn’t do well and was heavily criticized by netizens/audiences 

- She’s been a lot busier with interviews etc since the show became a hit and she’s also learnt to handle interviews better over the years since her debut, like showing enthusiasm for every question even if she has been asked the same question 20 times. 

=======
It would be good to hear the perspectives of the director, scriptwriter and producer of this drama. If anyone comes across an interview of them, can you pls share? 

okok found it! This post above @Dramanoona

1 hour ago, Dramanoona said:

makes me wonder who are the other 4 actresses who auditioned for the role.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

DYX was right. Can’t imagine anybody else could bring out CQQ character so alive like ZLS did. There could be many actresses with pretty or cute face, but the one who could bring out the full bag of various emotions and expressions of CQQ from cute, funny, sad, to a mature young town owner is only ZLS. It’s like CQQ was made and meant for her. I don’t think the drama will be a hit if it was someone else. A credit to ZLS. Her sacrifices paid off.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Adidaem said:

YZ is controversial, copies/plagiarizes and has his share of antis but he can produce really good dramas and his artistes do quite well. If he has produce absolute rubbish I would agree with you but  Yanxi Palace is still one of my fav Chinese drama. Even 宫 (Palace? gong?) that starred Yang Mi was quite an entertaining watch  even if it was like a rip off version of Bubujingxin... so yeah it must have been hard for ZLS to drop out of the show but aren’t we all glad that she did.

We sure are. I don't mean to come off sounding like I was belittling how hard it must have been for LS to make that choice. YZ is the reason why Yang Mi and Zhao Liying are even on the map, no one can argue with that. She would have gotten a lot of exposure with the general public if she had stayed on. I only meant to say that YZ's productions all have a specific "type" of character (the righteous/clever/pure heroine that succeeds against all odds) and that LS would likely not have stood out as much if she had chosen to stay on with YZ's project. Imho her strength in comedy (and of course that witty script, as well as the overall cast chemistry) is what made CQQ stand out--many other actresses wouldn't have pulled it off so naturally. We can agree to disagree re: YZ. When he's good we get Yanxi/Winter Begonia, but when it's bad it's laughably bad. To each their own though. Yanxi is above average for me at best--I can be particularly sensitive and nitpicky with trope-heavy plots. But my mom agrees with you and adores it. I'm surprised I even liked ROTAR as much as I did (and currently in withdrawal as a result). Time to get my mom hooked to ROTAR after getting my husband to marathon it with me :D

Thanks for posting the clip! Now I have to go find the full episode for Patrick Shih too!

• Like 7

Lusi is too cute being cute. This role was made for her. She brought QQ to the forefront and more. Sometimes you have to take risks in life to know whether you fell or succeed. She will always have this drama to look back on. It was a combination of many little things coming together to make it such a beautiful project. Ummm...missing banana and orange. As a matter of fact, missing my fruit basket lol

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

21 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

this is awesome! im rewatching again and now focusing on the costumes! 

by the way, maybe im overanalyzing but is there again maybe hidden meaning in the tea ceremony (ep 10) when su ziying was introduced? why HS gave the teacup to QQ and did not allowed pouring of another cup (also PH) ?  :) 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Still working on filling the hole left by TROTAR, fam :joy: and I'm not succeeding...

Good news: Yuxi was great in Reset Life, a cute touching little drama (5 eps). I guess I'm at the acceptance stage of grief where I can watch him with girls other than Lusi :grimace:

Bad news: My Girl/99 points girlfriend, new drama from Nan Zhen (TROTAR scriptwriter), lacks the magic that TROTAR has. The writing has her signature humor, but it happens much less often. The directing is not as crisp (as TROTAR). And the acting is much greener, OTP is cute but doesn't have that synergy our Orange Banana has. It goes to show that the directing, acting and writing for TROTAR really came together, like the stars were aligned! 

I know I'm being unfair by comparing it to TROTAR, but I was really excited for this writer's new work! 

I also tried other dramas with a similar premise, like To Get Her (cute and prettily filmed, no stake, nothing happens), Fake Princess (cute, a bit funny, but the plot is not super engaging), Lost Romance (very very meandering), and nothing sticks :bawling: Counting my days till they announce season 2 of TROTAR (I refuse to believe otherwise!).

There is a funny little drama called "Oops! The King is in love" that is surprisingly well directed & well edited - it's premiering on iqiyi tomorrow with English sub (I was watching it with Viet sub). I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to watch while waiting for Season 2 announcement like me :joy:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I am looking forward to the King in Love but I know I will be comparing it to Moonlight Drawn By Clouds :winkx:

I am also attempting to move on.... but I can't.

I plan to rewatch TROTR when I can get a stretch of free time.

I am going to try out Parallel Love .....

• Like 3

I am watching a drama that is on episode 6 so far. But I have no idea why they write the FL to be the too stupid to live type. At one point, I wished the ML have the heart to drown her. She is probably the most frustrating FL I have watched in a long time. At one point she says she can't swim then proceed to pushed the ML's head down where he almost drown. Then once she got to the boat...she looked around and asked where he's at. I mean, you did leave him to drown so I am sure he's not coming for air lol. And then she goes back to water swimming and pulls him out all this time claiming she can't swim. Ok, end of rant. Now have to go and watch TROTAR clips to ease my frustration hahhaha

• LOL 8