[Drama 2020] My Unfamiliar Family, (아는 건 별로 없지만) 가족입니다

0ly40

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, triplem said:
Spoiler

Did you check it out yet? It was good . I know we're often watching a number of the same dramas, think it may resonate with you. It is one of those very deep and realistic slice of life dramas . The focus of the drama I believe will be about the untangling of complicated and strained relationships between the members of this family. One of those "healing dramas".

It was a power pack 77 minutes , and I was engaged throughout because I could relate to the characters. Some of the main highlights of eps 1 :

The narrative at this point comes from Kim Eun Hee ( Han YR's character ) . In a flashback to 5 years ago, her break-up  with her then BF of nine years led to a fallout with two important people in her life - her older sister , Eun Joo and best friend Chan Hyuk ( KJS's character) . The  ex BF had been somewhat cheating on her and she was mad that Chan Hyuk who was also friends with the ex BF, did not tell her about it. She also got mad at Eun Joo who was not very sympathetic to her plight as the older sister had always been telling her that something was wrong with the relationship. Eun Hee wanted to be comforted but EJ was not the sort to molly coddle her sister. ( EJ just had a miscarriage and having a tough time herself but did not share this with EH; EH did find out much later) . The issue really was EJ- instead of looking inward then to the root of the problem ( which was actually the incompatibility and drifting apart btwn her and her ex) , she took it out on others. Anyway fast-forward 5 years later, she realises this and had the opportunity to apologise and reconnect with Chan Hyuk , as well as make up with the sister. 

A note on the siblings - EH married a doctor , Tae Hyeong (played by Kim Tae Hoon) - materially they have it all but the couple's marriage is strained despite putting on a very amicable front with each other and in front of her family. Seems the inability to have kids may have been a factor. Adding some layer to that story is a cafe barista that seem to take a great interest in EH. She usually goes there to write . A lot of flirting going on there but EH has not crossed the line.  The youngest of the 3 is Ji Woo ( Shin Jae Ha's character) who had just been discharged from the army and working part-time for Chan Hyuk's media agency. The older sisters often see JW as still their baby brother who is not quite grown up yet, but as CH tells EJ, he's actually great at his work and is not the young boy his sisters see him to be .

Another main plot point is the breakdown of the marriage between the parents.   Mum has been feeling suffocated over the years having spent a greater part of her life a housewife and raising the kids. Now that the kids are all grown up , I think she has finally decided that she wanted to rediscover herself and do the thi

ngs that is close to her heart ( like volunteerism etc) and so tells dad  that she wants to "graduate" from the marriage. Not exactly an official divorce , because it would be troublesome but she wanted to sell the apartment and they live apart. Dad of course was not happy. Dad has always worked hard all his life providing for his family , and was taken aback that mum felt that way.  But I think maybe over the years ,  they may have taken each other for granted . So anyway mum tells her kids about this decision.

So the story takes an interesting turn -dad had gone hiking and went missing ; it was later found he had been knocked unconscious. In the preview , we see that he has some sort of memory loss where he thinks he is still young, and that he and mum have not had kids yet.  On EJ's side of the story - we saw in eps 1 that while on a company team dinner to welcome the new boss played by the very dashing Shin Dong Wook, she bumps into her ex. The next morning she comes to tell CH she made a big mistake , and I believe that the  big mistake was that she may have used her new boss ( who seemed to have taken an interest in her ) to get back at the ex. :lol:.

@partyon @joonminfan I think oppa KJS picked a real good project . I enjoyed it and hope more people pick this up. TVN is really winning it for me this year ( Hospital Playlist , Oh My Baby,   When My Love  Blooms and this).

———

Drama off to a good start 

Yeah we got almost identical interest lol.

Reading your detailed recap make me interested with the drama. I guess ill try watch it now.

Thank you

@triplem

Wait a minute, is the recap mixing up between EJ and EH?

The one who got married is EJ right not EH?

And the side story is about eun hee right?

The drama that I anticipated a lot. I really like this kind of drama. From the synopsis, I already imagined the realistic slice of life family, the conflict, the healing. If you ask me, what kind of drama is this? I will answer "It reminds me of dear my friends"

@triplem Ottokae?!!  Kim Ji Suk and Shin Dong Wook in one drama! :w00t:

And the reliable Han Ye Ri, Kim Tae Hoon...

Thanks for the highlights of ep 1. Look like a good slice of life drama.

Off to watching ep 1! 

Edit - @triplem the barista reminds me of handsome back when he was thinner and younger a few years ago. :P:lol:

@triplem I just finished watching Ep 1! And great recap by the way! You managed to capture the important plot points, short and sweet. I'm so glad to see Oppa back on my screen! I may have to rewatch Ep 1 again, but when CH went to his office to do some last-minute work and he looked at the old photos that his female colleague was looking at, was that a photo of a younger EH? Maybe when they were in Uni together? A flashback showed EH with long hair, and the girl in the picture looked like her. Yeah, gotta go back and watch it again. I wonder if CH always had a crush on EH, and if like you guessed, EH used her new boss to "get back" at her ex-bf YM, and told CH about it, would we see CH jealous?

1 hour ago, icemaid said:

ttokae?!!  Kim Ji Suk and Shin Dong Wook in one drama! :w00t:

And the reliable Han Ye Ri, Kim Tae Hoon...

yayaya...SDW was quite swoony here. I just wish these k dramas won't give me choices. The barista has a unique look ...hmm I must go and check handsome's old photos when he was scrawnier   :lol:.. @Ameera Ali I think  KJS oppa  has competition. But at  the moment it doesn't seem like he and Eun Hee have any feelings - maybe friends for too long but @joonminfan has a point about whether CH had a crush on EH in their younger days...I felt it...or maybe my bias was speaking :lol:

@Samuel Yohanes thanks for telling me ...I mixed up the initials for sure :D ..corrected.

-------------------------------

Omg i knew it ....Eun Hee's so called mistake was that she kissed her boss and I think they spent the night together. She did tell CH about it ..I can't tell if he is jealous. Damn...Shin Dong Wook 's character Im Gun Joo is so smooth , he already knew that EH was uncomfortable with her ex. So he came out to save her ..he paid her quite a bit of attention throughout the night , there was drinking, karaoke and some kissing after that lol!!! See for yourself ...this is not your usual drama. Matured drama ....I like...

but I don't think her and the boss will last . 

Spoiler

Dad and mum as he was being discharged from the hospital...looks like there won't be any "graduation from marriage" for her 

Spoiler

Preview

I think dad has some short term memory loss but mum thinks he is faking it. More of the older sis and husband's strained marriage. And EH continues to confide in CH about her boss

I just watched the first episode. I really like this drama. I wish all the family dramas will be like that, then I will be watching more of them. :D I love to watch all the characters and I want to see how things will progress for all of them. It is sad that the family don`t have a very stong comunication but I can feel that they care about each other. The mother wants to "graduate marriage" and the older sister doesn`t have a happy marriage either. I am curious how things will go for them. I am glad that the sisters are speaking with each other directly. It was painful to see them estranged. It was funny how both knew what the other will say regardless their parents situation. :D

I have a feeling the younger sister will enter in a "love triangle" soon. Even the older sister is in one. :DShe keeps her family informations  privately and don`t share her feelings but I see why her husband might be jelous. She open up more in front of the young man barista and he is very observant.

I loved the scene where Eun Hee saw herself in the scene 5 years ago. Not only we undertand what happen 5 years ago with Eun hee but we see how she saw the events from other perspective. Maybe because a lot of time has passed, she put the resentment away and wanted to move on. And she could restart the relationship with both Chan-Hyeok and Eun-Joo.

I like this kind of shows. I will watch further.

10 hours ago, triplem said:

Did you check it out yet? It was good .

Thanks for the recap. :)  Me, just watched the first episode.  A bit angsty but I kinda liked it and I'm curious to see where the story goes. 

Besides, I can't ignore this drama since that email that EH was sending at the beginning of ep 1 mentioned someone called Thistle.  ;)

I´m kind off kdrama slump. most dramas that I have started watching i have given up. there's two kdramas that are airing that I'm actually still watching. One is a daily drama and the other drama has only 4 episodes left. So I watched the first episode without expecting anything and I actually loved this.

15 minutes ago, joccu said:

I´m kind off kdrama slump

I'm trying to recover from a drama slump, too.  I couldn't watch anything for about six months after too many mad/bad/wrecked/horrible drama endings.  It's tough to deal with.

Fingers crossed.  Hoping for good stuff from this drama.

Just finished watching Ep 2. I cried. Dad and CH broke my heart. 

Now that we know that CH has liked EH since their uni days, the scenes of her confiding in him about her boss (sorry I can't remember his name yet) made me tear up. He has done a good job of hiding his feelings from her, but the little cracks, like how he clutched her arm when she was distraught and looking for her car keys, and how crestfallen he was when he was about to show her the photos he took of her, but she started talking about how she started liking her boss first, and when he told her how she always catered to her ex-bf and asked her not to do it this time, started showing. He is still a good friend though, allowing her to confide in him, but at the same time, taking little jabs at her. It shows me that their friendship is really strong, because they had been estranged for almost five years, but they fell back into the friendship really easily too. And it really struck me that she took it harder that CH betrayed her, rather than her ex-bf. It's really going to be very hard for me to watch CH getting his heart broken, because it seems like EH is falling for her boss. With one of the big relevations at the end of the episode, I'm really looking forward to see how EH is going to handle the situation. KJS Oppa, fighting! I'm always rooting for you!

And the parents. I have got to admit, they made me cry harder. The veteran actors are just SO GOOD. I know the whole story isn't out yet, but what I felt was that Dad seemed to really love Mum when they were younger. She went to him because she was pregnant, and probably didn't know what to do, and he looked so happy to see her. The minute she said she was pregnant, he took out a ring and proposed to her. It seemed like he had it ready all that time, and was just waiting for a chance to give it to her. On the other hand, Mum didn't really seem thrilled that he proposed to her. She was embarrassed, and honestly not very happy about it. She could still be distraught about her pregnancy, but I think she didn't really love Dad when they got married, and the love didn't really grow after 30+ years. It made me so sad, because of the contrast in the way Dad behaved towards Mum after he got amnesia. You could really see the difference, when she was thinking of what to tell him when he asked her what they called each other. Maybe Mum couldn't love Dad all this time, and Dad slowly came to realise it, and got bitter. It made me so sad. And the revelation at the end about EJ? Wow. So was Dad Mum's last resort? That's even sadder.

I can't believe I have to wait one whole week for the next two eps. I've loved the first 2 eps so far, and I hope the drama keeps up the pace and the story line. What will happen to EJ and her husband TH? Will CH get the girl in the end? Will Mum still go through the marriage graduation? I know this is a melo-drama, but I'm still hoping for happy endings.

7 hours ago, thistle said:

Thanks for the recap. :)  Me, just watched the first episode.  A bit angsty but I kinda liked it and I'm curious to see where the story goes. 

Besides, I can't ignore this drama since that email that EH was sending at the beginning of ep 1 mentioned someone called Thistle.  ;)

Hey, believe it or not, I thought of you while I watching this drama. :lol: I mean, "thistle" isn't a word I see that often.

I like it so far. I really like Han Yeri (she was great in "Age of Youth" and "Six Flying Dragons") so I began watching for her, and she is as great as always.

And of course, Kim Ji Suk. I always love to see him get the girl!

The coffee barista looks sort of like a pale Woo Do Hwan to me.

“My Unfamiliar Family” Sees Ratings Boost On Day 2, “Good Casting” Remains No. 1

Jun 3, 2020
by R. Jun
235248b3cd9e4ac5936d451f11f8de3d.jpeg?s=

Newly premiered tvN drama “My Unfamiliar Family” has seen a boost in ratings on day two. Meanwhile, SBS’s “Good Casting” continues to lead Monday-Tuesday dramas.

According to Nielsen Korea, tvN’s “My Unfamiliar Family,” which premiered Monday, recorded average nationwide viewership of 3.9 percent on Tuesday, for a 0.8 point increase from its premiere. The drama, starring Han Ye Ri, Kim Ji Suk, Chu Ja Hyun, Shin Jae Ha, and more, tells the story of the relationships and misunderstandings between strangers who are like family — and family who are like strangers.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1404313wpp/my-unfamiliar-family-sees-ratings-boost-on-day-2-good-casting-remains-no-1

Second episode was also really good.  Agreed @larus all family dramas should be done this style.

@joonminfan @icemaidgahhh I knew it..Chan Hyuk had always liked Eun Hee. I supposed the timing was always never right since she dated their friend for 9 years. It must kill him to hear her talk about her night with the boss ; though I supposed given they are both so close ,  they must have heard each other's stories over the years. I felt bad when he took out the photos only to put it back . I love that moment when he told her to not repeat her previous mistake of being a doormat the way she was with her ex. In relationships , self worth is important...maybe that was why mum wanted to leave.

@Ameera Ali I hope oppa can get the girl....I root for Chan Hyuk of course ( my oppa bias is always strong :lol:)...but I do like how adult this drama is in a sense that we're getting the true and honest perspective of a 30 plus almost 40 single girl. I won't blame Eun Hee ...VP Im is really quite dreamy...I would have done the same in EH's position :lol:. But he's not without his baggage - engaged and all but not happy since he stuffed some photo angrily into the drawer. And of course  sleeping with the boss can be a career suicide  especially if word gets out or if doesn't end well.

Eun Joo not being the biological daughter caught me by surprise. I wonder if Eun Joo senses it , is that why she is always so uptight?  I think dad is a really good man - he married mum even when the baby was not his , and he was clearly in love with mum. He also took more effort to show Eun Joo love to ensure she does not feel the difference.  I felt bad that he may have contemplated suicide though I don't know how much of that annoying woman's words we can trust. However as time goes on dad started taking things for granted. Mum started loathing him for his habits.  Maybe this amnesia may be a blessing in disguise to help them re look at their marriage. 

EJoo's hubs...hmmm is he cheating on her ? Who could he be messaging? Not to mention that the barista told him he needs to tell EJ...ohhh could he be gay? 

Archived