[Drama 2020] Hi bye, Mama!, 하이바이, 마마!

0ly40

Gonna jump and say I've already started to feel the second lead syndrome 

I hope they give her a good characterisation...like it’s 2020 

let’s not put women into “good” or “ bad “ women tags 

my heart breaks for her though...in competition with her husband’s dead grand love .... who has Miraculously come back to life now... 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

57 minutes ago, samsherlock said:

my heart breaks for her though...in competition with her husband’s dead grand love .... who has Miraculously come back to life now... 

I don't feel this second lead syndrome, I love female lead, she is so touching, and she has such beautiful chemistry with male lead
but afterwards for the sake of the story I wouldn't mind seeing the husband with his new wife
there may still be a lot of crying, I hope to be surprised by the script

• Like 3

National rating

Top 10 Household Watching Rates
(Analytical standard: National, paid platform joining units, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One tvN Saturday drama (high-bye mom) 6.111

Seoul

Top 10 Household Watching Rates
(Based on analysis: metropolitan area, households with paid platform, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One tvN Saturday drama (high-bye mom) 6.220
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samsherlock said:

Agreed.  It's a horrible position to be in and I hope the drama treats Go Bo Gyeol's character fairly and doesn't go the lazy route of making her the "wicked stepmother".

Thanks for the rating @Deepakmahajan  Ratings increased nicely!

• Like 5

As much as i hope to see kth's character end up with her family, that won't  be realistic ending. I can see cvs sending her to after life, after setting step mom relationship with her husband in good terms and love, her daughter to love her step mom as real mom and helping step mom to have more understanding and how to deal with husband and kid. It will have a bittersweet ending imo. And i am fine with it.

• Like 3

@DeepakmahajanThat’s the way I see it going too. Her husband is still hurting and it’s affecting his job and relationships with his new wife and daughter. Her parents are  struggling too. It would be devastating to get her back only to lose her again but healing too, perhaps. 

• Like 4

Unlike Come Back Mister where two of the husband had to go back or their existence would be vanished, so it is expected for them to return by the end of the drama, however this drama the shaman lady said if Yuri is able to return to her place she can be human again. This drama is already unrealistic/fantasy so why not...

I wouldn’t mind if Yuri has to return if everyone is heal; her mother, father, and sister get to see Seo Woo unlike right now and the husband and step mom are happy with each other and help the husband to overcome his trauma. Her death was so unexpected so everyone was hurting and struggling. 

What ever route the writer decide, I just hope it is satisfied. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

I agree with a lot of these previous threads that I've been seeing... While I do love the entire back story of Yuri and her husband- meeting in college, dating and then eventually starting their own family happily, their chemistry from the get-go was unbreakable. Yuri's sudden death really impacted her husband's life (he can no longer perform surgeries because he believes that he's caused his wife to die) and her parents. I wouldn't mind it if Yuri stayed, but I also wouldn't mind it if Yuri had really gone up after helping everyone "get over her" in some sense or recuperate from the shock.

If Yuri stayed and really took back her "role", then I'd want to see the characteristic of the new wife that's with Yuri's husband... I think our decisions will change based on the upcoming details of the drama, so I'm totally here to stay.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Agasshi said:

Unlike Come Back Mister where two of the husband had to go back or their existence would be vanished, so it is expected for them to return by the end of the drama, however this drama the shaman lady said if Yuri is able to return to her place she can be human again. This drama is already unrealistic/fantasy so why not...

I wouldn’t mind if Yuri has to return if everyone is heal; her mother, father, and sister get to see Seo Woo unlike right now and the husband and step mom are happy with each other and help the husband to overcome his trauma. Her death was so unexpected so everyone was hurting and struggling. 

What ever route the writer decide, I just hope it is satisfied. 

Looking at how the writter goes with go back couple.

i bet yu ri will be human again.

and the step mom will hold the important part for her to be human again.

p.s. still pissed for the writter who did go byo gyeol character dirty in go back couple. no scene about her in the future after return back to time. please no more that in this drama juseyo

• Like 3

Darn it! I  should not have watched this drama for two episodes straight...I am now a blubbering mess with very puffy eyes. Such a beautiful and moving love  story and honestly I can't help but want her to stay. They got the casting right..gorgeous Kim Tae Hee , a mum of two girls herself IRL , completely delivered in all her scenes especially the emotional ones. I felt such real and raw emotions the first time she realised she could physically hug her daughter. I  bawled at that scene. LKH ,whom I love in everything I have seen him in ( so happy to see him in his first leading role),  is perfect as a grieving husband  who puts on the facade that he is happy , but really time has not moved for him since her passing. My heart broke when he could not bring himself to celebrate his daughter's birthday because  it was a constant reminder of Yu Ri's death.

I was hooked from the get go by how they met and fell in love. Through flashbacks and snippets here and there , we are presented with a very believable love story . And in spite of Kang Hwa remarrying , I can see why he could never move on. Of course this leads to some real problems as he is failing in his chosen vocation and more importantly failing at being a proper father to Seo Woo and husband to Min Jung.  He is not the only one  still grieving of course as her parents have clearly not accepted her death. It was sad  when YR''s mum did not want to help raise Seo Woo. It may be partly because SW would be a constant reminder of losing her own daughter , but  I think it was mainly because she knew that SW is the only thing that can keep Kang Hwa going. It was tough love forcing him to care for his own daughter  as it meant that he cannot try to end his life again...... and that he needed to move on.  While for YR , these 49 days gives her an opportunity to take back her life, I believe there's a deeper purpose regardless of whether she succeeds. Her husband and family need to find closure and live again. So while I don't discount a sweet fantasy type ending, it could also end up with her and everyone else finally accepting her death and letting go. 

There will be no villains in this drama...Min Jung in spite of her seemingly cold personality isn't a wicked stepmom. If anything she's suffering as well. It is no easy task to be a mum, what more for someone else's child. But what has been hard for her is that she's the third wheel in this love triangle...and the sad fact is that you can't compete with the memory of a dead person. It is no wonder she is contemplating divorce. While I have no doubt Kang Hwa is sincere in his love for her , there's that emotional wall that she could never get through. 

Anyway , if anyone is wondering if they should watch this , I'd say prepare lots of tissues and don't schedule to go out after that :lol:. Worth watching for a good cry  . Lovely cinematography and like how they move seamlessly between the present and the past. 

Edited by Guest

I can't imagine Yuri is going to stay.. What kind of message would that be? And it wouldn't fit the theme of the drama either. In my mind the drama is about acceptance. It might start out with her trying to get back but at some point she will realize that she has a different journey. And of course that also applies to Jo Kang-Hwa and her parents. For Oh Min-Jung it's not the grief but she also has to confront herself and accept some stuff. More about that later.

Some cultural background about the 49 days.

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/17169/20140310/understanding-k-drama-49-days.htm

[...] K-drama viewers may have heard the time period of forty-nine days mentioned before and wondered what it signified. Those seven weeks are meant to be the period of transition between death and reincarnation.

According to Buddhist teachings a person may be born again, evolving into another existence, after they die. It does not happen instantly but takes a total of forty-nine days or seven weeks. Traditionally, during that time a person's life is judged and the actions in their past life determine how they will be reborn. [...]

Maybe she comes back as a different person in some way. Not sure how that would look like.

A few more general thoughts. I loved the first two episodes.

This is my first drama with KTH. I don't really mind all the talk when i can just see for myself. Well she sold me in this one. And she is so bright and a lot more hyper and goofy than i expected. But she is good in the emotional scenes as well. The whole cast is great. 

Btw does she realize that she kidnapped the child? To be fair this are some very unique circumstances that don't apply to reality. It is understandable. And it made for a great scene. But she didnt think about what the parents would go through. And that it isn't her place to just take the child away is something she is going to have learn in this drama.

Other kidnappers would do the exact same thing. They often appear nice and say 'oh i just took her out to the playground'. After this one i watched the recent 'Tell me what you saw' episode and i had to think of this. If you watched both dramas you probably know what i am talking about.. : D

I like the ghosts stuff so far. It was fun to see Bae Yoon-Kyoung from Heart Signal. It's fun to see Yuri running around and hiding. It makes for some good comical relief. And wow that ghost family... I mean it was fun but also pretty uncomfortable to watch. Imagine your dead parents and sibling are watching your hotel dates to check if you have 'grown up'.. Yikes.

Usually the shamans and fortunetellers in kdramas are just super cringey to me and i never find them funny. _But i feel like this one has a lot more personality. Anyway i was pleasantly surprised.

About the new wife. She is one of those characters i want to like. Let's hope they have a good story for her.

We don't really know much of yet. 

We dont know how they met and why/how they got married. Were they super in love? It seems more like of convenience. Was she working at the daytime center? They didnt show the face of the woman who took the baby but that's what i thought during that scene. Oh maybe that's how they met. Which would be a pretty important detail. Because that would mean she had cared for the child her entire life.

I read that she might be formerly married and the divorce paper is about that. That would mean that they are just in a relationship and living together. And people just assume they are married. I can't really get behind that theory.

But there is definitely more to it. There is some hidden secret about her story. Maybe she has a tragic past she has to deal with. Maybe she was in a toxic relationship or is in debt. There seems to be something that is catching up to her.

So about the divorce papers... I would just go with the straight forward answer that she is thinking about divorce. He is distant and she knows he hasn't moved on yet. And it seems he never really tried and just pushed it away. (Think of the ring)

I dont think there was or is a lot of honest communication between them. They probably both thought it's going to fix itself with time. I don't know if she has deeper feelings but thought she wouldn't mind if he doesn't feel the same way.

And about the child i am not quite sure yet. She was definitely worried about her when she was missing.
But they also make a big deal of showing us how she is always gloomy around the kid (and just in general).

And even though i don't see it that way it feels like the drama wants to give us the impression that she isn't caring etc. Because there are those conventions of how a 'good mom' must behave. Always cheerful and running around in circles like Yuri. But it's hard to dismiss that she doesn't seem very affectionate.

There was scene at the cafe with the moms from the neighborhood. Where she was very defensive. I mean she is right.. screw them.
But to dig a bit deeper. The 'i know best what's good for my child'. There lies an insecurity there because she is not the biological mom (which has a bigger impact in korean culture).
Maybe she feels guilty because she thinks she isnt affectionate enough or doesn't love her enough. Or maybe she realizes that the daughter is being distant somehow and behaving weirdly (she sees or hears ghosts after all) because she is not the 'real' mom. The thought that she might be missing her 'real' mom.

There is also the question what she is doing during the day. The was this phone call with a professor. Maybe she is attending college to make up for missed education she couldn't get earlier because of unfortunate circumstances in her 20s. And now she wants to persue her dreams which clashes with caring for a child all day. That would be my favorite theory : D

Anyway i  would love to see more about her and their story as a couple.

I think i shouldn't write as much because it leads to my imagination running wild and there are all those plotlines and ideas that i want to come to life now :D

( Or maybe it is like the neighborhood moms said.. She married for money and wants to divorce quickly almost as some kind of scam in makjang fashion. I would hate that to an extent that it might kill the drama for me so i won't even think about it. )

But i am pretty optimistic that the three adults are going to have a mature/understanding relationship. Maybe not at first and i can see her parents meddling with things. But going forward i don't really see any other way. She won't be staying so they have make it work eventually. And i think it would just be a much better story if they all try hard but it's still very hard despite all their efforts.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

On 2/24/2020 at 4:10 AM, Agasshi said:

I was debating if I should watch this drama because of my past experience with Kim Tae Hee’s acting (Yonpal)  but I cried during her emotional breakdown. Hope they don’t make the step mom an evil one or something. 

i want to be selfish this time, i rather have the step mom gone or get possess by KTH spirit she deserve to live and spend time with her daughter :cold_sweat::smiley:

im loving YURI's mom, its not that she doesn't love the granddaughter she is doing it for the son in law.:cry:

Edited by triplem
With the exception of live recaps , pls don’t post consecutively within an hour . Edit to add
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I ahmed and ahed about this one but I succumbed after seeing the Netflix trailer. It was in my radar but I just didn't have time for another drama. (It's ludicrous the number of K and C dramas that are being broadcast at the moment) Plus it features two of my favourites in lead roles. I've only seen the first episode and already I'm wowed by the production values. It's nice that they're making the effort.

The first thing that strikes me about this is the world-building. That was quite unexpected and unexpectedly funny. I wasn't expecting them to take this much trouble with it. I especially enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek, almost irreverent way in which the show dabbles with the afterlife (after a certain religious worldview) starting with the charnel house overrun by those who can't seem to move on to the other side clamouring for their democratic rights to linger! :lol:  I especially loved how the suicides were contemptuously marginalized. This irreverent tone extended even to Yu--ri stuffing herself with food offerings at the temple during her death memorial. I was wondering the entire sequence how that worked. ;) How is it no one noticed? :lol: It elicited a chuckle or two and then a shout of laughter as she keeled over as a result of overindulgence. Presumably we are expected to accept that a hungry ghost of the deceased has unique access on memorial day as a trade-off for an otherwise dreary existence. ;)

On the other hand, there is shroud of bleakness pervading right through seen especially in those who are left behind. Everybody seems to be grieving very badly. Mother is keeping up a stoic front while Dad wears his heart on his sleeve. The person who is probably doing the worst is the husband who can't even celebrate his daughter's birthday because it happens to be the day Yu-ri died. Mentally he is a hot mess while living life through a veritable facade of affability. He is lost. He may have remarried but he hasn't moved on at all.

All of this begs the question as to how much of this is Yu-ri's doing. Or is it vice-versa? Is her family and extended family in the state that they're in because she chose to hang on to watch her daughter grow up? The shaman seems to be suggesting that's the likely scenario. Although I wonder if it's because her family haven't been able to let go that she can't leave. There's nothing to say of course it can't be both. 

Ghost stories of this kind have always been for me about unfinished business and the opportunity to make things right. I've come to think over the years that they are a means by which humans grieve. Humans cling to hope when there's a promise of an afterlife. Even with that, those left behind often feel a sense of injustice for their loss. If this story follows a similar trajectory to the J drama Ghost Mama, I don't expect Yu-ri to be hanging around for too long.

Anyway, it's lovely to see KTH again. I've never understood the criticisms about her acting. She was the first (and perhaps only) K actress that has given me that old fashioned star quality vibe that Hollywood used to churn out in its golden age. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1