[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

I apologize to the fellows here who quoted me, I had been very this week that my thoughts are out of place.. I went on a quick read and yeah, I might have been a little too harsh on SA, but same as a friend here who just can't sympathize with SA, I'll be boarding on that boat..

-

JYS lashing out, is no surprise at all. She's a sociopath, why her disorder shouldn't have been understated from the beginning. Earlier episodes she was showcased as an overly blessed human, slight thing that we were missing out is that, it was JGS's vision of her. JGS is not entirely wrong, yea she is born smart, great at variety of things, successful at a young age but the thing is on JYS's point of view, she earned everything by working her a-s-s off (first scene of her clubbing). She doesn't deny the fact that she's smart, born or self-earned.. being smart doesn't guarantee you success.. you still need to put in the work. Her personality disorder might have been a blessing in disguise, the incapability of feeling remorse just to fulfill your desire played a big part on what she have become. Definitely a curse, a life sentence that she have to live the rest of her days, misfits to other, seen as a threat, violent, toxic, out of her mind, a nasty person.. being said she's no different with DanBam crew. If SA is being sympathized by her burden and that she has no option or she's like a total croo-croo to refuse Jangga then I can't seem to understand the eyes rolling on JYS now that her issues is getting into light. Just like everybody else she has her cross to carry too, it was just clouded with her being well off and by crazy determination to be competently capable to stand with the 'high rollers' in the society.. that she seems not to be tragic enough?

I seriously feel awfully bad towards JGS, but I know for a fact that he knew it coming, more than anyone else. Right this moment aside from her parents, I'm definitely sure JGS is the only person who can be called as her guardian. If SA knows, understands SRY the most, then JGS is the counterpart on JYS's life. He knows how wicked she is, how difficult a person she could be.. despite every flaw he still likes her. Isn't he the one-character-in-every-drama-that-we-wish-to-treasure? He is the one.

Spoiler

We all know his history it's heartbreaking that a young child feels that he was never loved or never to be needed in that household..that he'd chose poverty over a lavish life. JYS making up with him and being brutally honest, is what friends do.it's not just because she wants to get on SRY's good side again.. yea she admit that she keeps him by her side because of his family background but that's not entirely true, in the conversation she also indicated that she figure him out that she's a loser in love/no ambition type of guy. I'm pretty sure for the years they've been "friends" JYS as a cunning person definitely figured it out sooner.. but look she didn't discarded him way before and even continues hanging out with him with no filter at all, might be she's taking advantage that this loser likes her so that he'll accept everything but as I said she's a cunning one she'll be able to weight out if she's gonna take an L for keeping him. She's not the type of person who'll waste time on something that she gains nothing at all.

JYS putting the effort to make it up with her peers, was it fake? or is it for SRY's sake? I too is contemplating with that, I'm the kind of person who believes that you don't have to change for you to be deemed worthy.. but that's kinda, I don't know not applicable in her case? for her changing is growth perhaps to heal her disorder. I'll just leave this as is for now.

The never ending SA x SRY, I give up on this. The show had me convince that they are a better fit.. Why? if JGS thinks of JYS as a goddess or an angel then SRY thinks the same way with SA. I just don't know with the episodes left how they'll wrap up that romance department going a total mayhem. Now I'm rooting for JGS happiness above all.. I won't mind at all if he ends up with JYS. The drama is a total mess in my eyes, for they are giving this atmosphere that SRY x SA kinda lives or they have a world of their own. Though I'm not ignoring the subtle hints from SRY like one of our chingu here mentioned that, SRY keeps telling SA that he doesn't need her but JYS is a must for him.. that somehow pulled me back away from the disappointment I was having. Probably I paid little attention with the age gap where now it's completely visible and that their maturity level clashes.. that got me settled to think that SRY still thinks of JYS as a young one, but does credit and acknowledge her abilities.

Spoiler

LAST RANT: I ALSO HATE THAT SRY IS ALL APOLOGETIC WITH THE LASHING OUT INCIDENT. Damn, it somehow shows that she's like harmless individual who unfortunately got involved.. victim. yeah that's the word. Don't get me wrong I totally give up on the SA individual case, now I'm getting frustrated with SRY.

P.S.

-  I'm sorry I'm too lazy to quote.. and just call outs the person I'm referring to as a chingu/friend.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Anjalifairy said:

Oh finally some humor :lol: Bcs this drama is not a romcom drama, or pure comedy, sometimes i feel everyone here is being too serious lol :lol:

Oh hey, drama has some pretty funny moments;) I laugh out loud couple of times per episode, which don’t happen that often even with comedy dramas :D Died last episode when CKS tried to teach PSR how to act in club just like JYS once did :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Best one minute scene in episode 8 which reached 15.4% is when JGS decided to leave Danbam, followed by high tension conflict between PSR and JYS. 

0000541152-001-20200224175511967.jpg

Source https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/396/0000541152

48 minutes ago, serenilmauve said:

Oh hey, drama has some pretty funny moments;) I laugh out loud couple of times per episode, which don’t happen that often even with comedy dramas :D Died last episode with CKS tried to teach PSY how to act in club just like JYS once did :lol:

Yuuupppp, there are some funny moments in each episode, thanks to CSK the mood maker. That scene made me crack up too, it was a total failure bcs he messed up with the wrong person :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

Hmm... issue with high IQ people: they have an intellectual much older than he or herself (in this context, YS may have higher itellectual than SRY) but may not have the life experience (which includes social interaction) to know as many things that does not come from brain.  Moreover SY is diagnosed more than 70% to be a socialpath.

Usually high IQ in general will have some sort of social issues.  If you watched Big Bang Theory (American sitcom), you will totally understood what i mean.  Keke!

:)

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, tok-soompi said:

I am not sure i want Yi Seo to change too much.  Cos i like her this refreshing character like how Geun Soo likes her.  If she is nice and considerate then it is out of character.  Haha!

Yes, I get what you concerned here. But she didn't change that much actually. She becomes mean again after that, telling him the facts and draw a line for him. Poor GS, for seconds, I hope YS would be cute to be with him. He likes her sincerely even with all her flaws. That is touching. But the story tells YS likes SR. That can't be helped, he needs to bear the pain of brokenheart. I like her aegyo here, I mean that gigles.

Now back to YS's character. In my pov, her inconsiderate, selfish are not her true traits. It's something that she needs to fix. It may come from her sociopath symptoms. Something related to that. She might be mean and rude sometimes, but deep down she is nice. She helped to stop bullying at her class,  revealing the truth and gather some public awareness of that matter. No one even try to help the girl but she did. Again she voiced out how people shouldn't be racist to others through her post. So at least we can assume, even the episode didn't tell us more. The club might get some criticism and less people visit there. She did something because of SR at first, but in the end she knows that all of those comes as a great lesson to mature her and give her more understanding to people around her. So I think the changes are good and I like that actually. Though, I don't expect she lose her downrightness and confidence. It's her charm that shouldn't be taken down for the sake of character growth.

Now I'm rooting for JGS happiness above all.. I won't mind at all if he ends up with JYS. 

@ehy Ohhh... I thought for this while watching that confession scene. YS noticed his truthfulness and sincerity there, and she quickly draw a line for him and didn't give him any hope. I just fall for him when he said he likes YS even she's like that. Awww... 

Like you said, I do feel tired with the couple matching.  Psst... though, I still ship YS with sajangnim for some reasons :lol:

But does anyone notice? She calls SK oppa but not to SR, why? I know it's her being formal with him. But hey others call SR with Hyung to be much casual. Why won't she? Just curious. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, yookitube said:

she can only offer a mere token of  subjective sympathy, from a distance

Also, she already revealed who she is from the get go. She told Saeroyi herself, she's a coward, which means she won't risk her good relationship with Jangga for him. She's looking out for herself. But I don't hate her though I also don't like her. I quite understand where she is coming from that's it and she's also redeeming herself a bit by giving Yiseo advice on how to handle Saeroyi.

Anyway, I've been just lurking but also writing my two cents. 

P.S. I love the ending of the webtoon, especially whom Saeroyi ends up with. :wub: I love the story. I love watching Yiseo grow, and just everything Kim Dami does haha. I browsed the webtoon and  I'm excited to see how they would do the time jump. Overall, this is some good quality kdrama JTBC and the production blessed us with. 

Also, can I just say, that Saeroyi/Yiseo scene where she rests her head on his lap and cries about his scars... it's perfection. I think it may be THE MOST ROMANTIC kdrama scene I've seen. #notexaggerrating

• Like 7

Hi everyone! 

Not reading the comments yet, because I'm only on episode 3...

After Cloy finished I felt an empty void and it took me 3 attempts with 3 different shows to finally get invested in kdramas again. Surprisingly, this time around my boyfriend decided to join me! :D

I want to say, the plot and the themes of this kdrama are extremely refreshing, I am charmed by both female leads (yeah, even Oh Soo Ah). I like all the characters, and of course our lead! 

I think the best thing about this show is the sense of community, all the characters have individuality, even the supporting characters. 

I also appreciate Seoul in this kdrama - this breathing, moving bright city, the views are completely stunning and made me want to visit  South Korea!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

Hide contents

to be honest, I wanted to thank you.

I remember watching another movie, the bully victim never really moves on, constantly haunted. When he grew up he met the bully by chance, the bully didn't even recognize him.. 

It sucks when experience that is so difficult for yourself is actually so trivial for the other person.. the victim felt that his existence was reduced to zero.. the once bully wasn't able to feel guilty because it was only haze childhood memories for him, and he also turned out to be a decent regular dude.. this victim doesn't even know what to feel, he felt so empty inside.. i feel terrible for him because he would carry scars for life.. 

I'm glad LHJ met PSR.. and that this series not only look on social discrimination but also bullying

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks!
  • Like 3

Oh JYS is the FL of the show? There's actually a FL in the show? Like a romantic one? lol.

I was totally watching the show as a family drama! hahaha. I feel like everybody that works at DanBam + OSA and LHJ were basically misfits adopted by Big Brother PSRY. They all needed someone to be unequivocally on their side and accept them for who they are, whether they realize it or not. Even whatever romantic affections for OSA feel pretty paternal from PSRY's end. I saw the scene where JYS had her head on PSRY's knee, and she might as well have been 12 years old to him. 

I feel PSRY has his priorities correct---he needs to take down Chairman Jang and his vampiric looking eldest son. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 minute ago, crackaddict said:

Oh JYS is the FL of the show? There's actually a FL in the show? Like a romantic one? lol.

I was totally watching the show as a family drama! hahaha. I feel like everybody that works at DanBam + OSA and LHJ were basically misfits adopted by Big Brother PSRY. They all needed someone to be unequivocally on their side and accept them for who they are, whether they realize it or not. Even whatever romantic affections for OSA feel pretty paternal from PSRY's end. I saw the scene where JYS had her head on PSRY's knee, and she might as well have been 12 years old to him. 

I feel PSRY has his priorities correct---he needs to take down Chairman Jang and his vampiric looking eldest son. 

You must have watched it without being hyped about the cast or watching any trailer.. i felt the same and i thought i was the only one thinking this is not a romantic show! And lol the vampiric description is spot on :joy:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:
I was wondering about PSJ's recent post & it reminded me of KDM's post back in Feb.7. The setting looked the same & they both are wearing very similar clothes like on the promotion cutout of SRY & JYS. I wonder if this is a scene in an upcoming episode? Or Maybe it got cut lol. I really want to see them in those outfits like in the promo cutouts SRY with his jacket & blue sweats and JYS with the leather jacket & red dress.  

Btw, I'm going to miss JYS's two tone fluffy hair. I love that hair, it's so iconic lol. It seems like a time skip will happen? 

I'm gonna miss her hairstyle too! Mind you I was actually gonna try it for my graduation in May :D

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks!
  • Like 1

@ehy

Writing characters with mental illness/disorder in mainstream/media has either been decent/rarely good or just poorly handled. The thing about JYS is that her behavior/attitude derives from 2 things: her being a borderline sociopath which heavily stems from upbringing as a kid by her mom. My fear is her character falling into the trope of "mental illness = bad, must be fix in order to be good" So far, it doesnt read that way. She has behavioral problems(whether she is sociopathtic or not) which can be unlearned through guidance. The thing is for JYS, it will take a while/long time. Having sociopathtic tendecies isnt something that can be cured/wished away. So even though she learns from experiences & growth, her way of thinking will still be intact. That's why she said she will try to understand SRY(mindset) & has been written in several incidents where she doesnt read the situation like SRY. JYS thinks from A straight to Z in a rational sense while SRY thinks from a A to B to C-etc sense. 

@lollyminx

Honestly I thought SA would've been a

great sophisticated/villanous female character driven by greed/power along with J Co.(like "fall from grace type of way), if that's what the writer had intended her to be which would make her much more complex because it shows even good people can make bad decisions(ex:anakin skywalker from star wars lol). Now, it seems that's not the case but I could

be wrong since theres still 9 episodes left. I'm not sure if she'll change since SRY keeps telling her he likes the way she is. The juxtaposition between what SRY tells SA vs what JGS tells JYS is pretty apparent. JGS likes the way JYS is but her face when he said that is nonchalant/annoyed. JYS is willing to try to change. SA hasnt made her decision yet(or if ever). That's why she is a circle of undending confliction. 

Yes, the scene between SRY & JYS when she cried is one of my favorite scene on the show. It's the more emotional scene which I like. The show hasn't had that feeling since the first 2 episode to me. It felt cathartic

/intimate. 

@sodarn

SRY & JYS both have such a very unique and recognizable style that's befitting of their character. You should try it and see how it works for you. I think her hair is really cool. It gives off that 2009-12 vibe when the group 2ne1 was hot in the idol scene lol.  

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

20 hours ago, yookitube said:

SA had all the chances over the years....but only showed a token of her guarded sympathy for PSR..... Because she chose to play it safe putting all her eggs into the Jangga basket.......which is quite understandable as the Chairman saw to it... that was her only choice.

@yookitube I haven’t forgotten nor do I excuse SA's choices, but with the progression that I saw from her in episodes 7/8, I just would like to give her character the benefit of the doubt going forward and try to see her from SR’s perspective rather than mine. I'm really curious if his trust/confidence in her is worth his while.

She is practically a conniving captive of Jangga as she plays PSR and JGW like a fiddle... using her charms.....well aware those men had their romantic eyes on her.

You are not wrong in that she was conniving and is a “captive" of Jangga. SR views the latter this way too and I am also curious if he will indeed "free" her. At first, I thought he wanted to do so because she is his first love or being nostalgic, but now I think it’s because SR simply has a good heart and truly wants to protect his people. He regards her no different from his friends/family at Danbam. I hope that she doesn't let him down.

With GW, if she was trying to be an opportunist with him, I don’t think she would have rebuffed his advances. She was pretty direct in saying that it wasn’t because of SR, but because he killed SR’s father who was important to her.

Quite unlike YS who shares the same feisty mindset and conscience for justice and fairness as PSR.   No wonder she went all-in for PSR... despite the hurdles and uncertainty/odds of their objective.  She quickly identified and adjusted into his psyche..even shedding tears of empathy and sadness over the pain and suffering PSR went thru in his journey......as if the pain was hers too.

My view on SA is separate from YS and what they have to offer to SR, but since she’s mentioned, I’ll give my thoughts on her too. Though I really didn’t like YS’ behavior in episode 8, having read the analysis here on it, it reminded me why she’s written this way and helped me put the meaning of her character in better perspective for the coming episodes. What I hope will be better illustrated in the story is that she doesn’t seem to be changing for a crush or adjusting to SR, but that in her quest for “love and success”, she recognizes herself the positive impacts the people she met along the way have had on her development. Ultimately, I do see that she and SR both "need" each other.

Whereas SA never cared if PSR went to the gates of hell and back....as she can only offer a mere token of  subjective sympathy, from a distance....and when it is convenient.

I think the point of SR repeating to her that they don’t have to be on the same sides yet still be fine means he doesn’t expect anything from her so I don’t as a viewer. And it’s not like she jumped to his acceptance of her not considering what she did to him. It took the bus scene for her to realize that this guy truly never held it against her. At first, I didn’t understand why she called him a fool for it, but I think partly it’s because if we really think about it, is there really anyone out there who can be this kind in this situation. Whether she deserves it or not, I liked that SR freed her from her guilt and allowed her to continue to choose herself.

Bottom line.... that girl SA sucks

She does. If it were me, unlike SR, I am not capable of still being her friend.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

@taeunfighting

The thing is shes the only person other than the ex-cop who can actually testify against JDH/JGW. If she wants to pay SRY's father 3x back, that's what she should contemplate on. SRY is on his path to destroy JDH/JGW anyways which pretty much entails her job. If shes smart she'll work under Kang(soon)as a backup plan to ensure her career/job & help SRY secretly somehow. Then again that's too much to expect from her, like you said SRY doesnt expect anything from her. In the real world (as in not in kdrama land),

I would not be friends with someone like SA who decided to work/continue to work for people responsible for my parent's death/imprisonment. I dont care if your an orphan with a sob story who needs money to go to school. It would not be me. 

JYS in the other hand, feels like alot of people would actually have friends like her even with her behavior(puting her sociopathy aside)I'm sure everyone has gone through their fair share of friends with her personality. Realistically I wouldn't be friends with her but if people like her are willing to change for the better maybe she isnt so bad lol.

Tbh, I prefer to SA to stick to her guns & be on J Co. Danbam crew & SA are very/super fortunate to

have someone like SRY as their boss/friend. He has so much patience & grace. 

• Like 1