[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

1 hour ago, kiklaminHo said:

@Kimsungrin

chingu hola,

we see some things different .I dont think she is fake at all.She is with SR the most direct characters in the drama.No grey areas with them.You know from the beginning where they stand.

YS from the start was just a friend with GS.It was him who was looking for her company all the time and he knew from the beginning who YS is .He accepted her the way she ws.

YS never lied to him and always made it clear how she thinks and who she was.

With the personality she has I did not except from YJ to tell him to stay and they will fight all together .She is not ready yet to say that. She will later.I dont know what will happen to the next episodes but for what I see I m sure slowly she is changing her character with SR help to be warmer and more considerate about others feelings.

That is growth for me. we all need a reason to change our opinions or something from our personality.

Why is it selfish or fake if the reason you started to change is your feelings for someone? The point is that you start to have doubts if what you do is the right thing and you start to see the other side also.

She never had a problem with Toni s skin color.She readily hired him for the bossiness.She assumed like many others that he was not Korean in nationality.And she made him realized that if it s a big thing for him for people to accept him as Korean unfortunately he needs to do something and not just get upset when people dont believe him.

.I dont say she was right with her words but that s part of her sociopath character .Blunt and no emotional attachment.Also she is 20 for Koreans I guess 18 or 19 for the rest of the world.

I see her giving her hand to Toni when she came back as another sign that she is starting to change.I dont see any fakeness.You think she is doing that only to be in SR good side.

If she was like this she will had her mouth closed all the time . And will try not to argue with him.She does exactly the opposite.She does what she believes and she starts again to re evaluate everything she knew in her 20 years because SR at this point is her healer and the figure that shows her what is to be considerate and worry for other people.

We explain the same scene different and that 's the way its supposed to be.

Depends who we are , our age,  our experiences each one of us will interpret situations and characters different.

I dont see any selflessness in YS in her road to change .She is changing with small steps.

Its okay chingu :). I like to read all the opinions people have about this drama and i actually need to talk about it lol. I respect your opinion and i see why you are saying she is not fake but direct since she says whats on her mind a lot but to me she was not direct with GS from the beginning but ambiguous and even when he asks her if she likes SRY she answers yes but tell him he still have his chance with her if he takes over Jangga, in fact he never asked her out so what he is lacking his boldness and she implied then that he should have asked her out, false hope. Period. False hope that she will end on ep 8 by saying herself: let me be clear because i wasnt before, i really love PSRY. So even if she did clarify the situation, she did intend to use GS for PSRY benefits using GS feelings for her. Even when she comes clean she uses awkward aegyo (i have to say i LOLed during that part it was too funny) to apologize but then admit it is to stay by PSRY's side. She is not sincerely sorry. She has to make up with him so she can continue to stay by PSRY's side at this point.

About Toni, and to me same case for GS, she is really trying to understand PSRY's ways of dealing with his people because she wants to understand him fully and knows that if she doesnt they will drift apart just like OSA told her. 

That doesnt mean she wont change with time, it just means that right now her goal is to satisfy PSRY, she doesnt really care about anyone else. She is not warm and thats something i dont like seeing and irl i would not give my time to someone like her but i like her love for PSRY and the fact that Love can change people. I also love PSRY dedication for his people and i like the 2 together

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Broaddaylight said:

I have come to the conclusion that the only person that is worth dating PSRY is JGS... Hahahaha...

True that.. team JGS all the way :joy:

He is so precious i can't wish anything good to anybody that hurts him.. 

@serenilmauve i don't read PSR's expectation that SA should be on her own side and YS should be on his side to be a differentiator on who he has feelings for. I think he would expect the same regardless

1) because he doesn't want SA to be caught in between, he wants her to stay out of his fight

2) everyone in Danbam crew should be on his side including YS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, serenilmauve said:

@emollienime agree. Park Sae Roy is not doing something "holier than Jesus", he just being nice, supportive and understanding to people he like, yet people say he is too good to be real, which is a strange statement to me. Are we so much used to dirt, that someone, who is not cunning for his personal gain suddenly turned into a saint? Isn't show about showing empathy? So Jo Yi Seo is not showing enough empathy, but Park Sae Roy showing too much of it? :mellow:

Its crazy but good people are that rare i guess..

The scene at the beginning of ep 8, PSRY and JDH...the dialogue was sooo good. It feels really nice to see a ML with that composure and strength. Park Seo Joon is very talented, the body language in that scene, how he held his head up and didnt let JDH intimidate him. And the way he got out of the room...usually after an intense scene the characters will get out and stop as soon as the other person cant see them anymore because they shooked (like OSA after meeting JDH) but not him, head up high, he got out and walked his way out of the building like a boss! And his friend LJH saying to Ms. Kang that after watching him for over ten years through ups and downs he has never seen him discouraged..Wow

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

SOUTH KOREA

Review: “Itaewon Class” Is a Story About Second Chances and Reaching For Your Dreams

Park Seo-joon and Kim Da-mi shine as part of an ensemble cast in a touching yet fun Korean drama.

BY JIANNE SORIANO, 21 FEB 20 11:43 UTC

itaewon-0.jpg

Courtesy of JTBC.

Park Seo-joon stars in a new Korean drama, Itaewon Class, based on an eponymous webtoon. For those looking for a light-hearted Korean drama that’s not too heavy on the romance side, look no further. Itaewon Class combines snazzy visuals, a fun ensemble cast, and a storyline that you might need tissues for—either from laughter or sadness.

Spoiler

Not Your Typical Revenge Plot

Itaewon Class follows Park Sae-ro-yi (Park Seo-joon), a kind-hearted boy who dreams of becoming a police officer. His teachers describe Park as socially inept because he doesn’t interact much with other people, much less have friends. 

This worries his father (Park Sung-yeol), an employee at a large food corporation called Jangga. Park’s kind-hearted nature turns on him as he saves a classmate from being bullied by Jang Geun Won (Ahn Bo-hyun). Little does he know, Jang’s father is the CEO of Jangga. Park’s school expels him, and Jangga fires his father. Adding to Park’s miseries, an accident happens, leaving Park an orphan. He receives prison time for assaulting Jang, killing his dream of becoming a police officer. Park swears revenge on Jangga — by continuing his father’s dreams of starting a business.

It’s not new to see revenge to play a role in the plot of Korean dramas. For some Korean drama characters, revenge is the driving force and raison d’etre

itaewon-1.jpg

Courtesy of JTBC.

A Second Chance at Life for Outcasts

It’s easy to say that Itaewon Class is a revenge story, but it’s not. Instead, it’s a story about second chances. 

Despite not being able to become a policeman, Park continues to live by principles that his father instilled in him.  After leaving prison, Park starts a pub called DanBam. 

The DanBam crew are all, by nature, social outcasts like Park. Cho Yi-seo (Kim Da-mi), an influencer and social blogger is described as a sociopath by her classmates; Jang Geun-soo (Kim Dong-hee), an illegitimate son of Jangga’s CEO; Choi Seung-kwon (Ryoo Kyung-soo), a fellow ex-convict; the transgendered Ma Hyun-yi (Lee Joo-young); Tony Kim (Chris Lyon), an African-Korean “foreigner”; and Oh Soo-a (Kwon Nara), an orphan. DanBam is home to all these characters who are cast aside by society, whether it’s because of social status, appearance, or sexuality. 

Ex-convicts face a lot of discrimination in South Korea, and often find it hard to look for a job after getting out of prison. In South Korea, there is a law that bans ex-convicts from taking jobs in the delivery industry. There are plenty of stories about ex-convicts who would rather stay in prison. 

South Korea also rarely discusses LGBTQ issues, and conservative lawmakers have already blocked the passage of nondiscrimination laws that would protect LGBTQ individuals. Transgender people and sexual minorities are still treated as if they’re invisible. Meanwhile, biracial people like Tony Kim are labeled as “foreigners” in the country despite being part Korean— that actually happened in the drama as well.

Like Park’s story, Itaewon Class follows these characters as they receive a second chance at life, whether it’s small or big. It tells us that we can always start over, somewhere, and most importantly, with someone.

itaewon-2.jpg

Courtesy of JTBC.

Small Steps Toward Your Dreams

Itaewon Class also tells us that there’s no easy way to achieve our dreams. We have to take small steps. 

It might be bold of Park to think that his small-time pub can go against the largest food corporation in the country, but it also goes to show us how determined he is to follow his dreams. Despite his dark and sad past, Park doesn’t wallow in pity at being an orphan or an ex-convict; instead, he looks forward to the future, and most importantly, doesn’t lose sight of the lessons his father taught him.

Fans of Park Seo-joon will definitely enjoy Itaewon Class as it further reinforces his versatility as an actor. We’ve seen him become the second lead in Kill Me, Heal Me, a swoon-worthy lead actor in other romantic comedies such as Fight For My Way and What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim or in more serious roles such as such in the movie, Divine Fury.

Netizens raised some eyebrows at the fact that in the flashbacks, Park played his younger self despite a 9 year time difference. With even the same buzz cut, this casting choice didn’t seem that believable. But had someone else played the younger Park, the same emotions of grief, anger, and hope would not have been portrayed as effectively as when Park did it himself. 

Newcomer Kim Da-mi, who gave an impressive performance as the main female lead in The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion, will also delight Korean drama viewers with her no-fuss-given attitude. Despite her debut small-screen role, she rises up to the challenge alongside her fellow actors. 

However, the biggest treat for audiences is the chemistry between all the members of the DanBam crew. Anyone looking for a good friendship drama will surely find this appealing.

Itaewon Class is unfortunately not immune to typical Korean drama tropes, but it more than makes up for that. Excellent visuals filled with vibrant colors bring Itaewon’s nightlife to life. Sprinkle in a good soundtrack and you have a Korean drama worth your time. Coming from JTBC, known for its Korean dramas spiced with social commentaries, be sure to expect no less  from Itaewon Class.

Itaewon Class is now available on Netflix.

credit: cinemaescapist

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@Kimsungrinchingu we dont agree for sure :).

It's ok though until anything changes in the next episodes I believe YS is the most bold and direct person .I will not go in details again.I wrote before and I said my opinion.I hope the drama continues to be good and the writer will finish what he has in his mind and not maybe changes the plot depends people's reaction .

That s why I like pre-produce dramas .

@serenilmauve

I fine with the romance aspect on the show. Its definitely one of the core values that is very significant to the characters' development & overall journey. The thing is SRY himself has not fully experienced that

kind of love yet. He has familial & friendship love. Love from his father & love for SA and Danbam crew. At this point, I honestly dont think he's in love with SA. I think he loves her but it's not romantic & he doesnt realize it yet. He definitely likes/cares for her just as he does with Dandam crew because that's 'his people'. Whats interesting was when SA says she's jealous about Danbam. It shows she cant fanthom SRY, who went through so much trials in his life to build it back up & was a total loner in his teen years who lost his father, could gather a found family/friendship that does not revolve around just her anymore. That's probably why she keeps saying that SRY likes her because she wants to be the most important person his life but she cant be it anymore since he has other people he trust/care for. I'm not sure if SA even feels remotely/emotionally invested to be with SRY(in a romantic sense) at this point in the story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked how the article had no mention about romance and love, but highlighted friendship and how Danbam is home to those people who would otherwise be casted out by society. And the part about second chances, just like the folks at Danbam, I hope that it could be given to SA as well. I can totally understand why based on the past, many are still wary of her character and question her intentions around SR/Danbam. I had wondered too, but having read the article, I think it highlights that it is a place where she can be accepted too - despite being an orphan and regardless of her choices. So, just like how SR has proven that his judgment on everything has been spot on if you stick to your principles, I would like his sense in SA to fare true as well. As he said, they don't have be both on the same sides yet still be fine. I don't ship them (never have). Their bond was first formed through SR's father. For that reason, I hope that it won't be lost and that they can remain family/friends. With the last two episodes, I have come to like her as a character. It would be nice to see more development from her just as it would be with YS as well.

• Like 5

3bcc26b84803584263cd2473d052c465fc866e6a
f919a68911e5882d5c9aad98268f3c82a11d32e4
credit: setsmaker

You want to stop this ill-fated relationship? There’s one way to stop. Do you want to know what it is? Itaewon class (2020) episode eight

P.S. I think i'm too excited to see that actually happening lol The old man is getting on my nerves, while everyone too focused on OSA and JYS. But, I'm not sure what's wrong with me... still I (kinda) understand even him lol 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

14 hours ago, Broaddaylight said:

I have come to the conclusion that the only person that is worth dating PSRY is JGS... Hahahaha...

Oh finally some humor :lol: Bcs this drama is not a romcom drama, or pure comedy, sometimes i feel everyone here is being too serious lol :lol:

• LOL 3

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

society. And the part about second chances, just like the folks at Danbam, I hope that it could be given to SA as well. I can totally understand why based on the past, many are still wary of her character and question her intentions around SR/Danbam. I had wondered

SA had all the chances over the years....but only showed a token of her guarded sympathy for PSR..... Because she chose to play it safe putting all her eggs into the Jangga basket.......which is quite understandable as the Chairman saw to it... that was her only choice.

She is practically a conniving captive of Jangga as she plays PSR and JGW like a fiddle... using her charms.....well aware those men had their romantic eyes on her.

Quite unlike YS who shares the same feisty mindset and conscience for justice and fairness as PSR.   No wonder she went all-in for PSR... despite the hurdles and uncertainty/odds of their objective.  She quickly identified and adjusted into his psyche..even shedding tears of empathy and sadness over the pain and suffering PSR went thru in his journey......as if the pain was hers too.

Whereas SA never cared if PSR went to the gates of hell and back....as she can only offer a mere token of  subjective sympathy, from a distance....and when it is convenient. 

Bottom line.... that girl SA sucks. 

Just my thoughts.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I was wondering about PSJ's recent post & it reminded me of KDM's post back in Feb.7. The setting looked the same & they both are wearing very similar clothes like on the promotion cutout of SRY & JYS. I wonder if this is a scene in an upcoming episode? Or Maybe it got cut lol. I really want to see them in those outfits like in the promo cutouts SRY with his jacket & blue sweats and JYS with the leather jacket & red dress.  

Btw, I'm going to miss JYS's two tone fluffy hair. I love that hair, it's so iconic lol. It seems like a time skip will happen? 

• Like 6

I am not sure i want Yi Seo to change too much.  Cos i like her this refreshing character like how Geun Soo likes her.  If she is nice and considerate then it is out of character.  Haha!

Credit to author.

Actually when Sae Ro Yi (teenager), Soo Ah and Yi Seo has one common traits.  They do not bond with anyone.  They do not really have true friends.  SRY changed slowly ever since he expelled and then go to jail.  He started to want to protect people.  Maybe that is why he wantrd to be a policeman.  Both his encounter with the girls are to stop them from hurting another person.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

16 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:
I was wondering about PSJ's recent post & it reminded me of KDM's post back in Feb.7. The setting looked the same & they both are wearing very similar clothes like on the promotion cutout of SRY & JYS. I wonder if this is a scene in an upcoming episode? Or Maybe it got cut lol. I really want to see them in those outfits like in the promo cutouts SRY with his jacket & blue sweats and JYS with the leather jacket & red dress.  

Btw, I'm going to miss JYS's two tone fluffy hair. I love that hair, it's so iconic lol. It seems like a time skip will happen? 

Idk, but i think it's just for Danbam group poster making.

Lee Joyoung also posted photos at the same location:

So i don't think it's a scene for upcoming episode bcs Ma Hyuni's hair now is black. 

Yep, the whole new timeline will start from ep 10 or 11 i guess. From last ending, i'm looking forward to see what JYS's plan to kick JDH's a$$. What agreement did the make so JDH seemed to have been waiting for her coming excitedly. And that JYS's evil smile reminds me of her role as Ko Jayoon in The Witch :joy:

• Like 3

People hating on SA.. but without her, will the YS x PSR ship even sail?

Not that she has to put the actual effort, but more like a catalyst for YS’s change of character / PSY’s realization of his feelings.

- Within Danbam, YS and PSR are the only Alpha personalities; I can’t seem to find anyone more suitable than SA to pep talk YS. I think her words to YS carry a lot of weight (and is a huge giveaway as an opponent) but not really appreciated. Imagine that talk in ep 8 never happened, would YS realize the meaning of being at PSR’s side?

- PSR is a man of grit and persistence. He is a marathoner. And SA knows that. He may develop feelings for YS after going through thick and thin together.. But he will be the same stubborn guy that insists on the fact that he likes SA. I have a feeling that SA will be the only person capable to contest his feelings, and make him realize his feelings for YS. Otherwise he will continue to be the consistent guy that answers YES every time SA asks him “Do you still like me?”.

SA need not talk sense to them if she doesn’t care for PSR or if she is as selfish as haters say.. To be able to let go of the person she likes will not be easy for her..

And if she is greedy she can suck up to JW anytime, or approach PSR for the money when he is successful.. however I believe she will remain the same independent woman that takes care of herself well (the quality that PSR likes about SA).

All above are just my guess.. Let’s see in future episodes..

IMO, doesn’t matter who we ship, no matter the outcome (in the romance department), we can still root for all characters for their happiness.. Like the article says, they are outcasts working for their second chances.. i also rather they don't depend on one person for their happiness.. they can learn to love but not to obsess.. they should not deny genuine friendships too..

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

@tok-soompi

Yes, his first encounter with both of SA & JYS is similar. I believed they both called him nosy lol. Alot of the character on the show in fact dont really have good relationship with people so when they started working at Danbam, it's almost like one big family, SRY with Danbam crew. :D

I'm here for her development but I do agree that a drastic 360* all of a sudden would feel off but the thing is theres only 9 epsiode left & a time skip :crazy:.

@Anjalifairy

Thanks for the clarification. I love those outfits that they wore for the promo. It's a LOOK. JYS vs. JDH sounds enticing. Yes, I'm excited for this weeks episode. 

• Like 5

I just started this (ep 6) and I happen to love all the women characters. I don't feel JYS is that rude...so she slapped a couple of women lol. They had it coming. Moreover, she's so young! When you're young, no matter how high your IQ is, you will do stupid richard simmons. Some of us grow and change and some of us don't.

SA was pretty trifling as a youngster too lol. She's better at hiding her opportunism as an adult, but I don't blame her for watching her own back. If you've ever grown up having to depend on the charity and generosity of others, you'd be inclined to stand on #teamME also. But now, we're getting to see it intimately. It clearly doesn't feel good for SA either. SRY is correct, SA should be on her own side. 

MHY, I don't think I've ever seen a character like this in a kdrama before? I feel that Asian dramas tend to sell gay male characters rather than trans or lesbian characters to audiences (for profit reasons), so color me surprised at this revelation! I like this character for the same reasons SRY likes them. 

Anyway, I just started this show outta boredom lol. So, I'm not emotionally invested in the show. Nothing's gonna surpass "Someday or One Day" for me right now lolol

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

@Whisper2

I'm suprise SA doesnt tell SRY straightfowardly 

that she likes him(romantically)? He always tells her he likes her, although now I'm not sure how much of it is romantic? SA is fully aware of how much SRY likes her since forever. Is she waiting for SRY to ask her out or is she seeing something in SRY that's changed? He is so stubborn he'll probably ask her out when he's super rich lol. You'd think SA would be more frank but surprisingly SRY is, even though hes quite the aloof in the love/romance department. Ofcourse SRY does not like JYS that way since she's a barely an adult. I dont think he feels that way about her(yet/or if) but something is definitely there. Then there is JYS who doesnt tell SRY how she feels so it is a round about of unreciprocated feelings all around. Then throw in JGS & JGW into the pool, which is quite frank, a bit much. 

I'm actually more curious to see how love(romatically) would change SRY since hes never experienced it on an intimate/emotional/physical level?

At this point, we're all asking SA or JYS in terms of change & development but never question the idea of change for SRY. I'm not saying SRY needs to change because he's fine the way he is (behavior/personality wise). But there's definitely a development there when SRY let himself feel a bit more vulnerable(opening up his past) & when JYS cried as she asked him it must've been hard when he suffered alone & he responds with 'a little'. I'm sure it was VERY hard. Even the time when JYS said he should take care of his health/well being on the roof scene, he seemed taken aback by that statement & shrugs it off that it's not hers to worry. I dont think anyone has ever asked SRY those things since he always appears/puts up a strong front with grit. He's always taking care of people, which is good thing. I hope he allows others to care for him/pick up his burdens too & allow himself to be more vulnerable when it is too rough to pull through. It's okay to feel defeated/weak when times are tough. People arent built of steel. SRY is already well written(like top tier level good), especially for a M/L, this just another icing on the cake that gives him even more depth/nuance. 

• Like 5

One of the things I like about YS' character progression... she has a long way to go :D... is that it starts with her learning how to empathize and sympathize with others.  Episode 8 made her very unlikeable - her tackless way of treating Toni and her clear disregard for GS's feelings while having no issue at using him to help SR. Yet I thought the drama was brilliant in showing us how SR was able to spark some change in YS' character.  The way YS was written and portrayed is spot on in regard on how sociopaths can use their intelligence and charm to manipulate people to get what they want.  The things that YS did. Her reckless behaviors, acting without thinking how her words hurt Toni, her temper.  All those qualities were not sugarcoated... how refreshing is it to see them in our FL?  :D  It is one of the things I love about this drama!  Episode 8 was fantastic in the way it shows sociopaths, the people that we think cannot be positive members of society, can be changed if there are people like SR who care enough to take the time to help and show them a better way of living.  YS learned that she must treat people with kindness and respect.  YS's crush on SR is the very thing that saved her.  Her gamble on this man that she believes is charitable on her part is actually the help she needed more than she realizes.  It's more valuable and therapeutic than any counseling session in any office.  I think for this reason more than her age, the drama was right in taking its time to work up their leads' romance.  It's not the age gap or her youth, it's her character that needed to be changed.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2